Differences between NTSC and PAL

• Thread starter luke4hay
  • 6 comments
The simple reasons are about TV differences:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

and, the PAL version have 5 lenguages for select, NTSC have only English.
and about cars, credits, rewards, secrets...is other theme.

mqdefault.jpg

Primary Difference

The differences between these formats really start with the electrical power system behind the transmissions viewed on a TV. In the US and countries like Canada and Mexico, electrical power is generated at 60 hertz, so for technical reasons the NTSC signal is also sent out at 60 "fields" per second. The first field accounts for all of the odd-numbered lines on a screen, while the second one includes the even-numbered lines. Since most analog televisions use an interlaced system, this means that 30 fields of one type are sent out, along with 30 fields of the other type each second.

This line alternation happens so fast that it is undetectable to the human eye, much like a film running through a projector. The result for an NTSC television is 30 frames of a complete image, made up of two fields for each frame, appearing every second. Since countries in Europe and Asia often use a 50 hertz power supply, the equivalent PAL lines go out at 50 fields per second. This means that a PAL signal displays at 25 fps, consisting of two sets of 25 alternating lines.

Resolution Differences

Another difference between NTSC and PAL formats is resolution quality. While PAL may have fewer frames per second, it displays more lines than NTSC. PAL television broadcasts contain 625 lines of resolution, from top to bottom, compared to NTSC's 525. More lines usually means more visual information, which results in better picture quality and resolution. When an NTSC videotape is converted to PAL, black bars are often used to compensate for the smaller screen aspect, much like the bars at the top and bottom of a letterbox or "widescreen" movie.

I love the 60 fu**ing hertz ♥

Note: If you TV system is NTSC (you are from USA for example) and you have a game PAL without "system conversor" you will watch the game at 25fps and not 30fps like it has to be. If the game runs at 60fps, the PAL version will run at 50fps.

If you want something more specific about it, read information on google.

You are in Europe haha, sorry. Maybe the the game in NTSC in a PAL TV will run just fine, or maybe at white and black, don't know very well that thing.

Thanks for the replies. Friend had a US copy that I was going to use but as there are any actual differences in terms of cars, gameplay etc. I will stick to my PAL copy.

Thanks for the replies. Friend had a US copy that I was going to use but as there are any actual differences in terms of cars, gameplay etc. I will stick to my PAL copy.

Some Hondas have different trim names (SiR-II vs 3door Si in the 1993 hatchback Civic, for instance) and even further the Integras and the NSXes are badged as Acura. ;)

Back