DiRT Rally 2.0 Hands-On Preview: Magical Stage Design, Tarmac Physics Need Work

Almost no one including me ain't happy with the WRC series because of its very bad physics tittle after tille, instalment after instalment, year after year. I other words, the complaints about the WRC saga have nothing to do with content which is pretty good in terms of number of stages, as well as design wise.

You have to try harder man. Very very weak.

Not sure if serious. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt in case you wanna reply and try explaining what you mean with pc2 not being fun, but a little more elaborated.

And what's that /sarcasm thing. Look you really don't look like the brightest one of your promotion, but still I'd ask you to at least try making your point on why pc2 is that bad, but now while sustaining more coherence to it, as well as making it understandable if possible. If it is that you just don't like the physics and all that then fair enough; but if you have truly meant that the content doesn't make for it then you have to be kidding epic time.

The WRC games seem to be very marmite .either loved or loathed. I'm not a massive fan of them, they play ok but they aren't as good as the PS2 WRC games were. That said they have a very good following of people who do enjoy them. Here's hoping 8 can keep improving.

Also on your pcars 2 point. You wouldn't elaborate on why you didn't like Dirt 4 and now your calling someone put for not liking something you love? Project cars 2 had a bigger budget than you think, was still broken at launch, still had the same bugs from the first game and some which even carried over from Shift 2.

At least Codemasters can release a relatively playable game from launch.

Ultimately, I will still probably enjoy DiRT Rally 2.0, mainly because at their core, Codies' games are polished (for the most part) look decent enough where I don't feel like i'm playing a game from the beginning of the last generation, and they have the best mix of content and simulation that I am looking for. (Plus, not being totally hostile to pad users ala SMS is nice)
I understand where you're coming from, but every Codemasters game I've played is inherently more hostile to play compared to PCARS2 with the DS4 with my settings, because of the wild handling model in CM games. In my favorite cars, PCARS2 is smooth and easygoing, and the physics model shines. I'm never completely comfortable in a CM game, no matter how much time I spend with them or otherwise enjoy them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No trophies related to multiplayer or leagues/clubs.

I already knew leagues weren't in the game, but the lack of online multiplayer achievements is worrying.

https://www.trueachievements.com/game/DiRT-RALLY-20/achievements

That is a little worrying. At least there's definitely at least the weekly events returning, spend a lot of my time in the dailies, weekly and monthly events so hopefully they all return.

Also curious about the "qualified" achievement. Complete your first AI scenario? Sounds intriguing.

I actually quite like the tarmac feeling in DR. DR2 improves on that, not much, but still. So I will buy it.

The critisism on stages. Also that is a thing that did not bother me in DR, nor will it bother me in 2. The time of day and weather variations will make it again interesting enough for me.

I agree with all of the above. Even if it's just Dirt Rally with slightly improved graphics and some new rally locations, it's still worth buying IMO.

Can't say I've noticed pivoting so clearly not that obvious to everyone. And it's certainly isn't reflected in the driving feel.

Regarding the tyres, tarmac is about the only thing that can be consistent between the two, the data would just be completely irrelevant to Dirt. Pirelli F1 Tyre data will not be the same as cut grooved road rally tyres. So why would they bother sharing any information at all?
Same, never noticed this pivoting. Probably because it doesn’t exist.

I understand where you're coming from, but every Codemasters game I've played is inherently more hostile to play compared to PCARS2 with the DS4 with my settings, because of the wild handling model in CM games. In my favorite cars, PCARS2 is smooth and easygoing, and the physics model shines. I'm never completely comfortable in a CM game, no matter how much time I spend with them or otherwise enjoy them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Be interested to try your settings. Never been able to enjoy pcars 2 on a pad so would be keen to try it.

Takes a bit of tweaking in Dirt Rally to get comfortable for sure. Both wheel and pad. Hoping DR2 will have slightly better default settings.

Be interested to try your settings. Never been able to enjoy pcars 2 on a pad so would be keen to try it.

Takes a bit of tweaking in Dirt Rally to get comfortable for sure. Both wheel and pad. Hoping DR2 will have slightly better default settings.

That's interesting - I was in Early Access for the first title and could never get it to work well on a pad (I only set up a wheel when I have time to keep it there for a few days) so I didn't get much use out of it. PC2 I thought was a completely different animal and worked really well. Are you using an XBox pad?

On the PCARS2 comment, I found the driving and racing excellent, but the 'career' mode I can't stand (the repeating, fixed weather patterns) and the lack of custom championships killed it as anything more than a '1 offs' to me. I use AC and Raceroom far more.

Same, never noticed this pivoting. Probably because it doesn’t exist.

I don't know, I'm a big fan of the game but there's something very unnatural looking about it sometimes. If they advertised it only using the great looking onboard footage, and not with a bunch of journalists who can't drive in chase view with a full HUD, then I don't think this debate would exist. There's something weird about the movement in chase view, but I've always written it off as being related to the camera rather than the physics. Tarmac, I don't expect to feel like AC, but sometimes it feels a bit like grippier grey gravel and you never have complete traction. Still, if it's improved a bit I can't complain.

This is fun thread to read through. I still can't work out if you guys are looking forward to another Dirt (2.0) being released?:P

Being a Rally fan since a kid watching the Group B scream through the Welsh forests on a small TV I am just pleased they are still making this niche market! I have also tried all other Rally games (over many years) on lots of different consoles and enjoy them all.

Some later ones I can not get in to >> Vrally4, Dirt4, SLRE, WRC7 and I am not sure why, maybe the graphics do have an impact for me as the physics are good on these.

I also find Rally Cross on PCars2 has every car and track I would need for this and would also be happy CM stuck with more refined Rally only game (like the Original Colin McRae DiRT which I really liked) Maybe including Rally, Hill Climb, Rally RAID ?

Edit: Maybe just Rally on it's own~? :yuck:

That's interesting - I was in Early Access for the first title and could never get it to work well on a pad (I only set up a wheel when I have time to keep it there for a few days) so I didn't get much use out of it. PC2 I thought was a completely different animal and worked really well. Are you using an XBox pad?

On the PCARS2 comment, I found the driving and racing excellent, but the 'career' mode I can't stand (the repeating, fixed weather patterns) and the lack of custom championships killed it as anything more than a '1 offs' to me. I use AC and Raceroom far more.

Yeah Xbox pad. Don't get me wrong I use a wheel mostly to play it but it still feels odd to me, bit like Forza. AC feels great on wheel but also wonky on a pad.

This is fun thread to read through. I still can't work out if you guys are looking forward to another Dirt (2.0) being released?:P

Being a Rally fan since a kid watching the Group B scream through the Welsh forests on a small TV I am just pleased they are still making this niche market! I have also tried all other Rally games (over many years) on lots of different consoles and enjoy them all.

Some later ones I can not get in to >> Vrally4, Dirt4, SLRE, WRC7 and I am not sure why, maybe the graphics do have an impact for me as the physics are good on these.

I also find Rally Cross on PCars2 has every car and track I would need for this and would also be happy CM stuck with more refined Rally only game (like the Original Colin McRae DiRT which I really liked) Maybe including Rally, Hill Climb, Rally RAID ?

Edit: Maybe just Rally on it's own~? :yuck:

110% looking forward to it here. Might be defending it a bit too much but I'm a huge fan of the whole series so maybe that's just natural.

Colin McRae Dirt might not be the best example, I think that tried too much, and must add also had Rallycross. But just too much stuff. I think rally and Rallycross balances quite nicely and in the absence of proper multiplayer for rallying at least we should still be able to pvp Rallycross :D

But yes if you look at the games in the series that focussed on rallying we tended to have 8 countries with 4 unique stages (8 plus reversed) but the unique KM isn't too much different. I think CMR2005 was peak rally content in the series.

Well Torque, yes I am looking forward to DIRT 2.0 and yes I have my worries about the game. There are a few rallygames out there and I rate SLRE and WRC7 above the original DIRT in terms of content, fun and pleasure to drive on all surfaces. The sounds in DIRT are unmatched and they add a lot to the immersion. I also liked hillclimb.

I only jumped in on DR2.0 because of the Citroën DS 21 and I would like to experience that car on as many rallies as possible so I settled this time for the Deluxe version.

I would've liked Codies dropped the rallycross completely and went for hillclimb instead but I can understand the reasoning behind in (sales / marketing). As some said, it is impossible to do it correctly for everyone. See DIRT4, which I liked in terms of driving, teams, content and setup but the YourStage was its nail in the coffin. Codies abandonned the game rather quickly instead of actually improving YourStage. That I found a real shame.

To get back to DIRT 2.0: 6 locations with a couple of stages isn't exactly a lot. It suffers the same problem as DIRT RALLY had. Lack of stages. Now they do provide an additional 6 locations (not all rally) so that is very welcomed but in all honesty they should have included more stages from the getgo. WRC8 launches with 14 countries and over 100 stages and Kylotonn's strong points have been the great stage design. So in terms of content straight out of the box Kylotonn simply does a lot better. In terms of car variety it is DIRT2.0 which has the upperhand. All those things just leave a mixed feeling but as @MagpieRacer , I've been playing CMR since the first day.

Last edited:
I am glad they dropped pikes peak. After a few runs, it could not bother me anymore.

It is indeed hard to satisfy everybody.

cropped-softwaredeveloper.jpg

Do you think they will make an 'arcade' DiRT5 next and still keep them separate. I feel with the Rally consumer market being so small, to keep the 2 games apart just by a few differences they may be better concentrating on one refined 'DiRT' with more cars and tracks.

I wasn't convinced by the video with the squeaky voice and won't pre-order the game. It's just another half baked DiRT-project with cars that feel the same (arcade physics) and then they just move on to their next $79.99 venture, instead of trying to let it grow or patch things up and a quick look at DiRT 1, 2, 3, S & 4 should make it evident, that these developers don't care about their games and you should think twice before buying it.

Last edited:
but every Codemasters game I've played is inherently more hostile to play compared to PCARS2 with the DS4 with my settings, because of the wild handling model in CM games.
I don't agree on this one. Codemasters are the undisputed kings (and maybe those developers of Forza Horizon too) on making controller handling feel epic at all times in all of their games, dr1 included. Actually I don't even use my wheel on DR1, since I'm miles faster with my xbox1 controller in this game than with the t300. All you need to achieve this on dr1 is setting the bumper camera to a fov of 0.2 only, and then prepare to fly all over the track with the controller

Also, and given I believe you must have had some proper controller setup for pc2 (It is impossible on my part to achieve so in pc1 and 2), you know that It can't compete with the way codies program the controllers to be played on their games. It is pc1 and 2 the games that are actually hostile to pad users due to the unquestionable fact that project cars is a game made from the scratch to be played on a wheel, whereas cm games are the actual opposite to this.

CM racing games dirt rally1 included on a controller feel soo good (with the exception of Dirt4. You know that game is that weird). Credit where credit is due.

I wasn't convinced by the video with the squeaky voice and won't pre-order the game. It's just another half baked DiRT-project with cars that feel the same (arcade physics) and then they just move on to their next $79.99 venture, instead of trying to let it grow or patch things up and a quick look at DiRT 1, 2, 3, S & 4 should make it evident, that these developers don't care about their games and you should think twice before buying it.

Someone has an ironic username...

The cars in DR (RWD) and D4 (FWD, 4WD) were plenty good enough. They weren't perfect but plenty of signs of improvement and if there's a chance they've found the balance between them then I'm looking forward to it.

As for patching things, DR had huge overhauls during its lifespan and, although I felt let down by the handling of D4, this time they've already announced 6 months of support with at least 2 DLCs and are actively encouraging suggestions as to extra development. Which is a good move in the right direction and, whilst I hope that it's longer than the first 6 months, it's a toe in the water to potentially do more.

As for thinking developers don't care about it, you're not basing that on anything. DR and D4 were both responses to community requests and DR2 is a clear continuation of that pattern.

Fair enough not to pre-order, no-one will force you to, but keep an open mind and see how it turns out, ey?

I wasn't convinced by the video with the squeaky voice and won't pre-order the game. It's just another half baked project with cars that feel the same and then they just move on to their next $79.99 venture, instead of trying to patch things up and a quick look at DiRT 1, 2, 3, S & 4 should make it evident, that these developers don't care about their games and you should think twice before buying it.

Which video was that?

I think it's quite clear to see from this you haven't played Dirt Rally and noticed you missed it from your list but included Showdown.

I don't think any of those games can be accused of being half baked (with the possible exception of Showdown) and I disagree massively with your devloper comments. Their communication and engagement is far better than most devlopers, bigger or smaller.

The 6 month support period is a bit thin. We all know that getting things thought of, designed, coded, tested, delivered can take quite long. At least where I work.

The 6 month support period is a bit thin. We all know that getting things thought of, designed, coded, tested, delivered can take quite long. At least where I work.

Makes me wonder if that's just for the content that's planned and the game itself will be supported beyond. Difficult to say.

I wasn't convinced by the video with the squeaky voice and won't pre-order the game. It's just another half baked DiRT-project with cars that feel the same (arcade physics)
Ignoring the un-required personal dig at the OP I would have to ask how you know that all the cars feel the same and have arcade physics?

Have you tried it out?

and then they just move on to their next $79.99 venture, instead of trying to let it grow or patch things up and a quick look at DiRT 1, 2, 3, S & 4 should make it evident, that these developers don't care about their games and you should think twice before buying it.
So you don't include the title this is actually a successor to? Odd that given that the original DR (while it still had its flaws and isn't as good as SLRE in terms of handling) certainly didn't have an arcade handling model and the cars didn't all feel the same.

Makes me wonder if that's just for the content that's planned and the game itself will be supported beyond. Difficult to say.
Codemasters games other than those coming from the always and forever shameful Birmingham Studios don't really need much fixing through patching support. All ColinMcRae and Dirt tittles to date (even the early access that DR1 was, and to a certain extent) have been released on a glorious bug-ironed-out status with very few stuff to fix that could be considered game breaking. These CM modern rally games based on the dirt franchise simply lack on content, with Rallycross content being culprit to this. Having the official licence.., why on Earth can't they release a separate rallycross game for all rallycross fans, and that would be all?

Another story is of course that of the aforementioned Birmingham Studios. Now those have been releasing the most bugged and broken games I have ever played, and with problems that persist over and over in every iteration while the members of that studio simply don't give a damn about it. F1 licence= law of the minimum effort year by year, tittle by tittle= lots of annual €€€ incoming. That's basically Birmingham Studios Policy on them annual games, to put it simply.

And back on the planned six months support for dr2, and since I'm taking for granted the game will be released on a pristine polished status just like every Dirt game before with very little stuff to fix, I guess It all will be about a couple of rally locations ripped straight off the first Dirt Rally, as well as more damn Rallycross content nobody actually wants in a game that is supposed to be for rally enthusiasts.

I mean there will be no further support beyond that scheduled period mark. It is Codemasters, don't doubt about that even for a second.

Someone has an ironic username...
The cars in DR (RWD) and D4 (FWD, 4WD) were plenty good enough. They weren't perfect but plenty of signs of improvement and if there's a chance they've found the balance between them then I'm looking forward to it.
As for patching things, DR had huge overhauls during its lifespan and, although I felt let down by the handling of D4, this time they've already announced 6 months of support with at least 2 DLCs and are actively encouraging suggestions as to extra development. Which is a good move in the right direction and, whilst I hope that it's longer than the first 6 months, it's a toe in the water to potentially do more.
As for thinking developers don't care about it, you're not basing that on anything. DR and D4 were both responses to community requests and DR2 is a clear continuation of that pattern.
Fair enough not to pre-order, no-one will force you to, but keep an open mind and see how it turns out, ey?
I remember the overhaul and game updates, yes, but I'm tired of giving this repeat offender of a developer any more chances.
Which video was that?
I think it's quite clear to see from this you haven't played Dirt Rally and noticed you missed it from your list but included Showdown.
I don't think any of those games can be accused of being half baked (with the possible exception of Showdown) and I disagree massively with your devloper comments. Their communication and engagement is far better than most devlopers, bigger or smaller.
Did you even bother to read the article? I've played DR to death and didn't include it in my "list" because it was good.
Ignoring the un-required personal dig at the OP I would have to ask how you know that all the cars feel the same and have arcade physics?
Have you tried it out?
Nope, fair point, but judging from their previous 5 DiRT games I wouldn't be too surprised if they did and seeing how D4 was hyped up as DR2.
So you don't include the title this is actually a successor to? Odd that given that the original DR (while it still had its flaws and isn't as good as SLRE in terms of handling) certainly didn't have an arcade handling model and the cars didn't all feel the same.
The only negative aspects I can think of when it comes to DR is the obvious lack of special stages and native VR support for ViVE users.

Did you even bother to read the article? I've played DR to death and didn't include it in my "list" because it was good.

Nope, fair point, but judging from their previous 5 DiRT games I wouldn't be too surprised if they did and seeing how D4 was hyped up as DR2.

Yep I read your post and nowhere do you mention Dirt Rally. :rolleyes:

Also, Dirt 4 was never hyped up as DR2. Hence why it's called Dirt 4, not Dirt Rally 2.

Also, Dirt 4 was never hyped up as DR2. Hence why it's called Dirt 4, not Dirt Rally 2.

No, it wasn't, but Codies was absolutely fine with using DiRT Rally in order to pump the tires of DiRT 4. Remember when they said that the game was going to offer the best of both worlds, and allow for both a simulation, and arcade style experience for those that wanted it, instead of one or the other? What we got instead was arcade and a grayer shade of arcade.

I think all the frustration with CM boils down to the lack of content. That is all. I think we all know that they could release a massive all encompassing rally game but they don't.
And judging by the amount of comments, everybody cares a lot about this game & frustrations aside I'm sure most of us will end up buying it.

Not that I recall, it was marketed as a continuation of the more 'accessible' Dirt series.

The only negative aspects I can think of when it comes to DR is the obvious lack of special stages and native VR support for ViVE users.
Lack of stages, wonky physics on tarmac, aero that allowed you to 'steer' the car in mid-air are among the things that needed work.

I like DR a hell of a lot, but from a physics point of view its not the best title around (but it is the best Dirt title around) and all indications are than DR2.0 is building on that and not on the accessible Dirt series

They were however promoting in all directions the two handling models the game would feature, one being that classic arcady accesible from the series, while the other as hardcore and insta-recognizable from dr1, where its fans were supposed be feel comfortable at and find their fix.

Of course it was a lie, as usual with these guys with the very honourable exception of dr1. That said, and with of course all of the original team getting fired two years ago after releasing the console version, community manager "on a diet" included", it becomes like another act of faith to trust this dr2 as a true successor to the first one, let alone when we see that much recycled content from d4, and again the goddamn rallycross content fully loaded and occupying lots of wasted space in a game that is supposed to please rally fans who don't give a damn about rallycross. And sadly, thast is the main culprit for the game to not feature two countries more for rally.

Codemasters still insist on adding as many off-road disciplines as they can, only to end up being the jack of all trades,master of none, feeling all of them lackluster in content obviously, as we could have it no other way. And it is the same story year over year and again. Do they listen some of you say?, come on..., if you are to give us a proper rally game, then make it just rally featured only, which will also inevitably allow the game not to feel lackluster anymore.

That is the problem with Codemaster basically.

oh really, wasn't aware of that. Must have been really desconected from the rally scene these last twenty years. But luckily for me I have you now to debrief me about my own community!, Your feedback should prove invaluable, as such seems to be your wisdom too on the matter.

Dirt Rally1 total copies sold make me think you may be very much mistaken. And now a sequel's been done and about to hit the shelves. I guess this is only because rally fans are very few indeed and CM probably don't make revenue from making games such a minority.

Not sure what you are on, but I'll do a special effort for you on the next ones.

Almost no one including me ain't happy with the WRC series because of its very bad physics tittle after tille, instalment after instalment, year after year. I other words, the complaints about the WRC saga have nothing to do with content which is pretty good in terms of number of stages, as well as design wise.

You have to try harder man. Very very weak.

Not sure if serious. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt in case you wanna reply and try explaining what you mean with pc2 not being fun, but a little more elaborated.

And what's that /sarcasm thing. Look you really don't look like the brightest one of your promotion, but still I'd ask you to at least try making your point on why pc2 is that bad, but now while sustaining more coherence to it, as well as making it understandable if possible. If it is that you just don't like the physics and all that then fair enough; but if you have truly meant that the content doesn't make for it then you have to be kidding epic time.

A bit salty are we?

The close and end close sarcasm thing is a HTML joke showing that those particular words were meant to be sarcastic. Shouldn't have been that hard to figure out.

Yes, I didn't like PC2 because the physics just weren't cutting it for me. I had a big issue with the bugs that were still there from the first game and that the online portion was also really buggy and had a lot of trouble connecting to races. So by not being able to really enjoy the game the way I thought I would have been, all of the content in the game is essentially worthless. The content does nothing if the game is not worth playing. Games can not be "great" on content alone.

As for the rest of your comments, the fact that you had to resort to talking down to me and being quite negative proves to me that you can not hold a conversation with an open mind and be respectful. With that being the case I guess there isn't much reason for me to try and argue my points with you. Oh well, not really my problem.

I will end with this though. Basing "happiness" of people on the games total copies sold is not really an accurate representation. GTS has sold a lot but there are people still not happy with the game. Use me for example if you want as well. I bought and own a copy of PC2, I am not really happy with that game at all and hardly touch it. But in the numbers world that is a copy sold and that is all those numbers mean. A copy was sold. I was just dumb enough to buy a copy. :-)

Latest Posts

Back