DiRT Rally 2.0 Hands-On Preview: Magical Stage Design, Tarmac Physics Need Work

Best straight up answer you can get on that matter

I already pointed out several times my worries over the tarmacphysics stating they looked off. However I am that stupid fool who pre-ordered the game. I went even completely crazy and went for the deluxe version. Why is that you may ask, well a simple answer to that questions is the Citroën DS 21. That together with more machinery of PSA was the decision of my purchase day one and not the physics on tarmac.

Yes my worries are still there, yes it looks floaty and pivoting, no a Porsche doesn't drift like that on tarmac but still I went for it. The immersion the game brings in terms of sound is great. I get to drive cars I don't find in another game. Monte Carlo, Germany and Pikes Peak were my favorite locations in DR (even with the wonky physics) so I know what "can" await me.

Several community members have posted their impressions that it isn't perfect but it is an improvement over the original one. The team behind DR2.0 might be different but they still have very experienced and capable people onboard.

Now I can continue to "keyboardwarrior" until the end of days or, now that I've made my point, put it aside and play the game to which I am really looking forward to despite my doubts.

Edit: postphoned due to further notice....:odd:

Last edited:
He also throws around the claim that many of the people that worked on DR has been 'fired' a lot. Wonder if he can back that up too?

Bold claim indeed, I can name one person who left, Paul Coleman (game director, also did the pace notes for the first game) and has gone on to be creative director at nordeus. As I understand it the rest of the team is the same. So no he can't back it up.

I can't even be bothered anymore. You've clearly for a very negative view for whatever reason.
At least I do have my reasons and have been backing them all, whereas you have just offered your corporate responses, thrown a couple of lies here and there..., and ..., did you folks think he was only just about that?, you were very much mistaken then. Just witness the true nature of this guy. Just received this PM from him:

2nlwuio.png

There you have his true self. This is what I have been trying to have a discussion with. No arguments; corporate responses my parrot repeats way faster and in a more understandable way than you can do, which I have disabled one by one effortessly (too used to those quotes, bad luck on your part).., but hey, you can send my that pic.

And sorry everyone too as I know these kind of private things cannot be made public..., but you see lol. What else could I do hahah. That's all he's about. The mind of the teen, in all its glory and expression.

At least I do have my reasons and have been backing them all, whereas you have just offered your corporate responses, thrown a couple of lies here and there..., and ..., do you folks thought he was only just about that?, you were very much mistaken then. Just witness the true nature of him. Just received this PM from him:

2nlwuio.png

There you have his true self. This is what I have been trying to have a discussion with. No arguments; corporate responses my parrot repeats way faster and in a more understandable way than you can do, which I have disabled one by one effortessly (too used to those quotes, bad luck on your part).., but hey, you can send my that pic.

And sorry everyone too as I know these kind of private things cannot be made public..., but you see lol. What else could I do hahah. That's all he's about. The mind of the teen, in all its glory and expression.

That's just wrong! You should have contacted one of the mods and not make private messages public.

^why. I mean this guy should be embarrased already because of such infantile PM and everybody has to know it, so next time they know the level of who are dealing with.

The level is what you see in that PM.

That's just wrong! You should have contacted one of the mods and not make private messages public.

Frankly he can do as he pleases. I've got nothing to hide from anyone. I sent it privately so as not to completely derail the discussion and hope in vain to have a constructive conversation. What he won't show is the follow up of the actual advice in terms of not attacking people who have a different view to his own.

So you ain't feeling even a minimum of embarrassment after that, let alone you still think tou might find yourself in proper position to continue to give "advice" after everybody can see what you are all about.

Not a surprise though. Keep it up

That's a rather bold claim to make, I do hope you can back that up.

Regards, a long time fan of both Rally and Rallycross going back to the 70's and 80's who is rather well know for his love of seious rally sims over the more accessible titles.

@fernandito what you do not understand is that this is a DiRT game. They have always been multi-discipline. I don't like RX, either, but this being a DiRT game, well, it's multi-discipline. If this were called "Pure, 100%, AndNothingButPointToPointRally 2.0" then yes, I would be angry if RX was part of it.

@fernandito is salty and, frankly, I am too. IMO this is just a cash grab with a re-skinned DiRT 4 and taking advantage of DiRT Rally's good name. Why do I think that?

• Thin on content again. Only six rally locations with 25-30km each (Argentina only has 16km).
  • The stages look completely boring and uninspired. To my eyes, most of them look like they were created with Your Stage. Poland and Argentina seem to be the exception.
  • Leagues are not available at launch.
  • Possible witholding content behind a paywall. Gr. B RWD for example. They were in DR and D4. They will be here, but this time they will likely charge us for them.
  • "More of the same" car list that lost lots of good cars.
  • We will likely see remastered DR stages in the paid DLC.
  • No VR support.
  • Your Stage dropped (it's a wonderful idea - just needs more development and variety).
  • Paid DLC locations will split the PvP and league userbase.
Now the positives:

• Excellent selection in R5 class.
  • Some rare and wierd cars.
  • Tire choice.
  • Surface degradation.
  • Looks like improved loose surface physics.
For me, personally, my first bullet list is way more important than the second. Hence, I will wait and buy it at 50% off like I did with V-Rally 4. Or if PSVR support is added I will purchase immediately even without a sale.

There is lots of negativity floating around regarding DR2.0, whereas for DR and D4 it was pure hype and excitement. Even the Codies DiRTY Gossip thread is "quiet" if you compare it to the months leading up to D4's release. It seems a lot of people have abandoned ship and are in "wait and see" mode.

Personally I don't see enough content or improvements to justify eighty dollars. The only way CM could get me on board at this point is if the DLC locations are all new, and some remastered DR locations were coming for free. Or PSVR support.

I can see your point @Pfei and in the beginning I felt the same. I said to myself we have a great game DR and one average one D4 so what will it be for DR2?

You have some points in your first bulletlist and if you are into leagues and multiplayer then maybe the wait is approriate. Content DLC is already being tested and I don't mind if DR stages would come back but there must be fresh content as well. Otherwise I don't see any reason for a season pass. If Codies only recycles existing content I think the SWHTF :lol: Not sure if they want to take that risk. There will be 6 additional locations. Most likely 4 rally and 2 Rallycross ones. If they really want to show some additional goodwill they should throw in some freebees. That could be in terms of additional stages to the existing DR/DR2 stages or add some stages / cars at no charge. It should be a healty mix.

I even imagine that if they don't get it right (balanced) this time it could very well be the last "hardcore" DR we see.

There will be 6 additional locations. Most likely 4 rally and 2 Rallycross ones.

The consensus in the community is 4 RX tracks and 2 rally locations. Just because that would complete the 2018 RX season. But it's true that nothing has been confirmed yet. Either way Codies will look bad. If it's four RX tracks then rally enthusiasts will get salty. If it's two RX tracks then everyone will be like "good God, the third title with RX, and the second game with the official RX license, and they STILL don't have a full season?".

I even imagine that if they don't get it right (balanced) this time it could very well be the last "hardcore" DR we see.

I am afraid you are right. And Reliance Entertainment's (the owner of CM) business practices have been the same for years. One step forward, one step back on each DiRT and F1 title. And throw in some bad or poorly executed ideas like Micro Machines and ONRUSH once in a while.

DiRT Rally was a passion side project, and it shows. It was a one-off. For some reason the suits in the board room don't want the DiRT team to build on that foundation.

Usually sequels are bigger and better than ever. In DR2.0 I am seeing at best a sideways move, neither advancing nor retreating. A true DR sequel, in addition to what DR2.0 has, would also have a couple hillclimbs, leagues at launch, and double the unique stage kms. That's how most studios would do this. I am truly disappointed in what has been revealed so far. DR2.0 could have been so much more than this.

The consensus in the community is 4 RX tracks and 2 rally locations. Just because that would complete the 2018 RX season. But it's true that nothing has been confirmed yet. Either way Codies will look bad. If it's four RX tracks then rally enthusiasts will get salty. If it's two RX tracks then everyone will be like "good God, the third title with RX, and the second game with the official RX license, and they STILL don't have a full season?".

I am afraid you are right. And Reliance Entertainment's (the owner of CM) business practices have been the same for years. One step forward, one step back on each DiRT and F1 title. And throw in some bad or poorly executed ideas like Micro Machines and ONRUSH once in a while.

DiRT Rally was a passion side project, and it shows. It was a one-off. For some reason the suits in the board room don't want the DiRT team to build on that foundation.

Usually sequels are bigger and better than ever. In DR2.0 I am seeing at best a sideways move, neither advancing nor retreating. A true DR sequel, in addition to what DR2.0 has, would also have a couple hillclimbs, leagues at launch, and double the unique stage kms. That's how most studios would do this. I am truly disappointed in what has been revealed so far. DR2.0 could have been so much more than this.

Well thank you for this and making me reflect a bit more on things 👍

@fernandito
For me, personally, my first bullet list is way more important than the second. Hence, I will wait and buy it at 50% off like I did with V-Rally 4. Or if PSVR support is added I will purchase immediately even without a sale.

So if psvr support is added, all you con poinsts are gone? Interesting how quick vr support can change that.

So if psvr support is added, all you con poinsts are gone? Interesting how quick vr support can change that.

Correct. VR is so amazing, and the racing library so thin on PSVR, that I would buy DR2.0 if it had VR support.

Never had the change to try dirtR with VR. I did do enjoy Driveclub VR at a friend's house. But not enough love for DRiveclub's physics to get VR.

@fernandito what you do not understand is that this is a DiRT game.
Exactly, Dirt, the standard numbered instalments, should be about those other off-road disciplines including Rallycross. Furthermore, I'd be one of those to get rally cut from this tittles.

What I'm saying is that Dirt Rally, the spin-off, should be about rally because it is called Dirt Rally and not Dirt Rallycross. It is also supposed to be aimed directly at rally fans, right?, then why the heck you have to throw rallycross stuff in this tittle too. The answer to that is widely known of course after all these years of doing the same, and not precisely the most pleasant It is.

Codemasters have been playing with the wishes of every traditional rally fan of their old tittles for too long already, being the first Dirt Rally the first glimpse of hope many could see so many years after. That's why you see so many people have already began to put this issue on the table recently, because they are already tired of so many broken promises from these guys regarding rally content, and that is rallycross should have its own separate instalment, let alone when they own the official licence.

Then some may tell you, <<ok then you can play the official wrc game>>. Ok, but the problem with that is also another well known by most. That's why they resort to Codemasters year after year; because they know they are the only ones capable of deliver. Unfortunately, it gets eventually demonstrated year after year that CM won't listen at all. They will continue with their quick cash grab route even with the dirt rally spin-offs, which is very understandable from the $$$enteprise point of view, but then don't expect much support on the internet, and where it matters most, the sales.

Last edited:
I 100% agree with him.

Dirt Rally in VR is easily the most rounded racing VR application on PS4 (well apart from Wipeout - but that's a bit different).

I can easily excuse the shortcomings the physics engine has for the experience it gives.

Exactly, Dirt, the standard numbered instalments, should be about those other off-road disciplines including Rallycross. Furthermore, I'd be one of those to get rally cut from this tittles.

What I'm saying is that Dirt Rally, the spin-off, should be about rally because it is called Dirt Rally and not Dirt Rallycross. It is also supposed to be aimed directly at rally fans, right?, then why the heck you have to throw rallycross stuff in this tittle too. The answer to that is widely known of course after all these years of doing the same, and not precisely the most pleasant It is.
Umm. The original Dirt Rally had Rallycross and Hill Climbs in it, which utterly invalidates your point.

Not to mention that you are once again trying to speak for an entire group, when you have no mandate to do so, I'm a rally fan, have been for over 40 years and I have no issue with the inclusion of Rallycross at all. As such stop attempting to speak for me.

Last edited:
I 100% agree with him.

Dirt Rally in VR is easily the most rounded racing VR application on PS4.

I can easily excuse the shortcomings the physics engine has for the experience it gives.

Umm. The original Dirt Rally had Rallycross and Hill Climbs in it, which utterly invalidates your point.

Not to mention that you are once again trying to speak for an entire group, when you have no mandate to do so, I'm a rally fan, have been for over 40 years and I have no issue with the inclusion of Rallycross at all. As such stop attempting to speak for me.

Hoping to have a go on the VR some point soon when I visit my family who have a PSVR. I have an Xbox so never had the opportunity to try it. Is the game still sharp and detailed in VR?

Hoping to have a go on the VR some point soon when I visit my family who have a PSVR. I have an Xbox so never had the opportunity to try it. Is the game still sharp and detailed in VR?

PSVR has a de-facto blur present in all titles. Not even the PS4 Pro is really powerful enough to do proper modern VR like a gaming PC. I think next year with a hypothetical PS5 release and some interesting patents applied for by SONY for PSVR2 we will see console VR start to get mainstream and high quality.

That said, as @Scaff mentioned, DR is the most complete VR racing title. It runs very smoothly and is reasonably crisp. Overall a great job by Codies given the PS4's lack of power for these types of applications. You can even run leagues and Dailies, Weeklies and Monthlies in VR. It has turned DR practically into a brand new game for me so I play it often after not having played at all in nine months.

GT Sport looks the best. It's actually amazing. But it's limited to time trial or racing vs. one AI car.

Driveclub VR looks pretty bad (massive blur in the distance) but I find myself playing it a lot because it's the only "sim-lite" racing title available that allows you to race against seven other AI cars or five other humans online [EDIT: You can race against humans in DR Rallycross online). It's great fun despite the fact that I don't enjoy Driveclub's physics too much.

Its not as sharp as PC based VR or the 'pancake' version of the title. However its still pretty good and the immersion more than makes up for it.

I did a breakdown of all the current titles on PS4 (running via a PS4 Pro) which gives you a good idea.

I 100% agree with him.Umm. The original Dirt Rally had Rallycross and Hill Climbs in it, which utterly invalidates your point.
perhaps you can't tell the difference between saying what they should be, which is what I said, and what they are actually.

when you have no mandate to do so,
I may have the same mandate to do so just like you may too when needed. You don't see it as a problem?, good for you, but many other do, so may deal with it.

I'm a rally fan, have been for over 40 years and I have no issue..
Is that so. I mean I have watched some of your videos (some of them of help about wheel configuration so thanks in advance), and you don't precisely have the voice of a tenacious forty years old seasoned guy. Pretty much all I can hear is the voice of a 20-26 years old boy who has but only dreamt about the other lost 20 years of rally fandom and expertise he claims to hold on his shoulders.

perhaps you can't tell the difference between saying what they should be, which is what I said, and what they are actually.
I'm fairly certain its Codies that get to make that choice, not you

I may have the same mandate to do so just like you may too when needed. You don't see it as a problem?, good for you, but many other do, so may deal with it.
I'm notthe one attempting to speak for others, you are.

Is that so. I mean I have watched some of your videos (some of them of help about wheel configuration so thanks in advance), and you don't precisely have the voice of a tenacious forty years old seasoned guy. Pretty much all I can hear is the voice of a 20-26 years old boy who has but only dreamt about the other lost 20 years of rally fandom and expertise he claims to hold on his shoulders.
So you're accusing me of lying about my age are you?

You don't get to be this 🤬 grey without the 48 years I have under my belt.

IMG_20190207_172516.jpg

Or you could ask @Jordan, @daan or the other site members who have met me.

So I expect a retraction on that little flurry of personal digs.

I'm fairly certain its Codies that get to make that choice, not you

I'm notthe one attempting to speak for others, you are.

So you're accusing me of lying about my age are you?

You don't get to be this 🤬 grey without the 48 years I have under my belt.

View attachment 797944

Or you could ask @Jordan, @daan or the other site members who have met me.

So I expect a retraction on that little flurry of personal digs.

Thank you for finally being able to see the face behind the man with the kind voice 👍

You don't look at all at what I had in mind :eek:

More lies. The people interested in rallycross content are the ones who buy the standard Dirt game series, not the dirt rally spin-offs. The people interested in rally want rally, only, as we could have it no other way.
You really should take a step back and reconsider. There's no winning here.

Speaking for myself, I love both short rallycross circuits and long point-to-point stages. It's all mixed surface driving with similar cars. I can't imagine why you're convinced someone's interest in one or the other would be mutually exclusive.

I also prefer realistic sims over a game with "accessible" handling, if it needs to be said.

Latest Posts

Back