Do you drive a car in real life and play GT5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter skylinefx
  • 135 comments
  • 12,578 views

Do you drive?

  • Yes

    Votes: 301 86.2%
  • I have driven before

    Votes: 25 7.2%
  • No

    Votes: 23 6.6%

  • Total voters
    349
Messages
865
Just wondering, how many people play GT5 and drive a car in real life?

It seems like almost everyone here talks about the realism of the physics, how it's more realistic driving without any driving aids on sports hard tyres.

It just makes me wonder - have these people actually driven a car in real life.
I have driven a car in real life before a couple of times, but I dont have a license yet. (18 today :D)
 
yes i do drive a car (520d BMW)
also,
happy birthday.
 
Yes I do.
1988 VW Golf 1.6 :dopey:
Nothing compares to real life driving.

Good luck getting your licence.
Good luck finding reasonable insurance too. You'll struggle to find anything under £1500 at such a tender age.

I was with a classic car insurer for 1 year. Then, when I went to renew, they tell me that you don't accumilate NCB on classic insurance:sick:
 
I'm the only guy who hit I've driven before. LOL
 
Nope i don't drive at all. Don't even have a car license. I have driven a car once or twice before however.

I ride motorbikes and have been for 10+ years now. Currently ride a 2010 Yamaha R1. Can't stand 4 wheels in real life. To slow and no excitement compared to a motorbike. Also the lack of that "freedom" feeling (you bikers know what im talking about!) that you get from riding puts me off cars.
 
maybe the term "more realistic" is a bit missleading here.
I would say the physics is fine and the driving without aids is a more "pure" form.
Its nice to have a comparison between old cars without aids and new cars with ESP, abs etc. (some also let you turn it off to a certain degree).

However ANY game will always suffer the lack of G-force applied and the famous "popo meter" (where your ass basically feels that the car is about to brake out - no butt kicker can simulate this)
I thought about a seat on a steel plate which can move in any direction. However a short round up of the costs reminded me to better spend the money on anew car :P
 
Was pretty sure this thread was a duplicate, but so far... nothing... though there have been similar threads.

I drive a lot in real life. I have a part-time gig testing cars and writing car reviews (partially the fault of GTPlanet for infatuating me with the idea) and as part of my work and family life, I've probably driven somewhere over 200,000 miles in the past two decades.

As part of that part-time gig, I have had the opportunity to drive quite a bit on the racetrack (but not as much as I'd like) and to experience a wide variety of cars both on the road and on the track.

For the most part, despite lacking some of the finer details like tire scrub, sidewall flex and that last 10% of lift-off oversteer, Gran Turismo is quite accurate. It understeers where you expect it to understeer, and it oversteers most of the time when you expect it to oversteer.

Some may disagree, and a lot of people complain about the understeer, but really, almost everything understeers on the racetrack, including cars with a reputation for oversteering. The problem is that without visceral feedback, it's often way too easy to misjudge entry speeds, and nothing contributes more to understeer than hurtling into a corner way too hot.

Sports Hard tires are certainly authentic for most sports cars, though some cars seem to have been miscategorized (upgraded to SH or downgraded to CS).

SH gives you a feel of what the car would do on your typical UHP Summer tire. Most of the aids won't, because they're too simplistic and general to replicate the wide variety and levels of traction and stability control available on the market today. And even then, on the racetrack, most aids simply suck.

Your results WILL vary in real life, though... and driving in GT5 may teach you the basics, but it won't teach you anything about "feel"... that comes through experience behind the wheel.

Good teacher, though. Learn the discipline it takes to do a fastest lap... slow in, fast out, throttle and brake modulation... stabilize the car under braking before turning, stabilize the car after the turn before accelerating... and you should do fine at the racetrack.
 
Last edited:
I'm 12. So yeah, I've done go karting before, and I've done a few "driving lessons" in my mum's manual Nissan Micra around car parks. So I know how to start a car and change gears and use the clutch :D
 
Worth noting that simply having a car and driving around town doesn't really mean you can tell if the physics are good. I doubt you drive around the same way you drive in GT5.
If you have track time you're probably a bit more qualified to pass some sort of judgement.

I've been driving for about 10 years and have autox experience, but no track time.
 
Agree with niky. No matter how good the simulation is, well, it is a simulation. In real life there is a lot that contribute to your driving style and how far you can push the outside envelope. In the game you don't have the feel of really been in the driving seat. The GT series makes it as good as its get for the money... I think...
 
I've driven plenty and more than plenty: first car 38 years ago was god's own MGA 1600 (why oh why do we get 60 "different" miatas and no MGA's, TR4's, AH Sprites... sigh). I've had about two dozen cars and motorcycles since that one, including a Z28, a 230SL and an RX7, and frankly i've just about had my fill.

I work in the industry now and spend a lot of time in automobile factories, so that doesn't help the burnout factor. The GT5 intro that seems so cool just reminds me too much of work!

Driving these days would mainly mean plowing a Renault Scenic through hellish traffic so in RL I stick to a bicycle and get my driving jollies the sensible way: on GT!
 
Yes.

I daily drive my Subaru STI.

I occasionally autox my race-prepped and turbocharged Integra GSR.

I occasionally kart race.
 
Was pretty sure this thread was a duplicate, but so far... nothing... though there have been similar threads.

I drive a lot in real life. I have a part-time gig testing cars and writing car reviews (partially the fault of GTPlanet for infatuating me with the idea) and as part of my work and family life, I've probably driven somewhere over 200,000 miles in the past two decades.

As part of that part-time gig, I have had the opportunity to drive quite a bit on the racetrack (but not as much as I'd like) and to experience a wide variety of cars both on the road and on the track.

For the most part, despite lacking some of the finer details like tire scrub, sidewall flex and that last 10% of lift-off oversteer, Gran Turismo is quite accurate. It understeers where you expect it to understeer, and it oversteers most of the time when you expect it to oversteer.

Some may disagree, and a lot of people complain about the understeer, but really, almost everything understeers on the racetrack, including cars with a reputation for oversteering. The problem is that without visceral feedback, it's often way too easy to misjudge entry speeds, and nothing contributes more to understeer than hurtling into a corner way too hot.

Sports Hard tires are certainly authentic for most sports cars, though some cars seem to have been miscategorized (upgraded to SH or downgraded to CS).

SH gives you a feel of what the car would do on your typical UHP Summer tire. Most of the aids won't, because they're too simplistic and general to replicate the wide variety and levels of traction and stability control available on the market today. And even then, on the racetrack, most aids simply suck.

Your results WILL vary in real life, though... and driving in GT5 may teach you the basics, but it won't teach you anything about "feel"... that comes through experience behind the wheel.

Good teacher, though. Learn the discipline it takes to do a fastest lap... slow in, fast out, throttle and brake modulation... stabilize the car under braking before turning, stabilize the car after the turn before accelerating... and you should do fine at the racetrack.

I agree completely. I feel that GT5 has made me a better driver in real life. The game obviously isn't 100% accurate, but it does give you experience in track driving. I have gone to the track with my car before (Mazda RX-8) and have done some go-karting. Probably the most valuable skill I picked up from GT5 is having a feel for where you are on the track. In high speed driving, it is hard to make use of the whole space of the track, and to "see" good driving lines. GT5 helped desensitize me to the initial fear of speed, so that I can stay calm and focused, even if I'm taking a corner at 60mph!
 
Yes. I drive and have raced my 86 audi coupe gt.
The people who say sports hard or medium tires are the most like the typical sports car tire.
The car drives just like mine and I love it. In gt5 you can throw it around the turns, brake WAY later then you thought possible, and its just fun. I don't know how to describe it but I have an 87 trans am F code and my audi and when I want to go have a lot of fun I take the audi out for a spin. The braking late is great for scaring passengers and even if you have very little skill at driving hard you can go fairly fast but if you have experiance with really pushing a cars limits you can do some amazing things with that car.
Sorry about that. Just an audi lover :p
 
I started driving boats at 5, got my first 4 wheeler at 7.

I drive a modified 03 WRX with the AIDS off . I disabled the ABS and it never had TC, still has the power steering though.
I got my drivers permit at 14 (old New Mexico Law, gone now), my liscence at 15 and have been driving cars now half of my life.
 
I drive an RX-8 and love it, but have not had the opportunity to push it yet. This is something I will try to rectify. One thing I can vouch for in GT5 is snow driving. The steering feel (I use a Logitech G25) is exactly right when you turn the wheel hard in the snow and the front wheels lose grip.
 
I must have driven 250,000 miles or so in my life.

The sensation of what you see in the game seems real. The braking (with a controller at least) is totally wrong. In a real car you feel just before the tires are locking up.

Also, nothing can replicate the seat of the pants feel as the car is skidding or cornering near its limits.

I've driven mostly smaller cars, but have driven a Corvette ZR-1, 80's Corvette, 1990 Mercedes SL450 (something like that), Pontiac Fiero, RWD Ford Ranger, and was a passenger in a Buick Grand National.

One thing I do hope you all get to experience it what it is really like when turbochargers spool up. I had a Volvo S40 twin turbo for a few years, and most of the time the car was like any other, but stomping on the gas and going from 70MPH to 90+ in seconds was exciting.
 
I've probably driven somewhere over 200,000 miles in the past two decades.[/B]

That's not a lot of miles bud, I've driven somthing like half a million miles in the last twenty years and that is not excessive. Think about it, 12,000 miles a year is average, 12,000 * 20 = 240,000.
 
ive passed my driving test almost two years ago and still no car! the insurance in the UK is insane for new drivers! The most I've ever been quoted was £25000 for a vauxhall corsa 1.2 and I'm not making it up!
 
Yes I drive. I've only been driving for 3 months now (I'm 17) and I love it. I've been waiting to drive for years now.
I drive a 1989 Austin Mini and it's like driving a go-kart. I'd say that the Mini in GT5 is fairly close to real life. The problem is that I don't race or drive mine fast in real life so I can't really compare properly.
 
ive passed my driving test almost two years ago and still no car! the insurance in the UK is insane for new drivers! The most I've ever been quoted was £25000 for a vauxhall corsa 1.2 and I'm not making it up!
WHAT!!! REALLY? The most I was quoted was £4000 but I managed to get mine down to £760 because of being a member of British Mini Club and being a classic car got me a bit of a discount.
 
You all over in Europe get killed on insurance rates. Aren't the taxes and all that higher on vehicles too?
 
Yep, I drive Hyundai i20. I've been driving for 4 years (I'm 21).

Planning to ride motorbikes very soon.
 
You all over in Europe get killed on insurance rates. Aren't the taxes and all that higher on vehicles too?

Well, it has nothing to do with the tax. The younger you are, the more expensive it will cost to insure... because young drivers are stupid.
 
I drive a 92 Ford F150 IRL, and yes it's fast. I beat a Viper before... although I don't know if he was racing or not :dunce:

...Just kidding, but I did beat him.

I prefer real life, although I can push it a lot harder in GT5 without actually getting injured :scared:
 
Well, it has nothing to do with the tax. The younger you are, the more expensive it will cost to insure... because young drivers are stupid.

I'm 17 and I'm not a stupid driver, I'm actually a safe driver. TBH I hate those stupid kids in plastic looking 106's, Corsas and Saxos.
 
Well, it has nothing to do with the tax. The younger you are, the more expensive it will cost to insure... because young drivers are stupid.

I meant those as two separate issues. Aren't you taxed on engine displacement and various other things?

Insurance is partially aged based here as well, but it's not nearly that bad unless your driving record is terrible.
 
I learned to drive at 8 years old (manual, Plymouth Horizon), and learned motocross at 13 years old. Many years later, now, roughly "halfway" there, I have driven approx 100 different cars, mostly sedans, and some sport, and a couple of exotics, never any major accidents or collisions, knock on wood. I now vow to quit driving altogether, and enjoy the "2nd half" of my life away from cars, and fuel. I am completely done with driving, due to the amt of cars, congestion, cost, and phone users at the wheel; almost killed me twice last year. Cycling, walking, and train is where I will stay from now on. With GT5+ for the memories. The money I will save from owning & using a car, will give me 2 one-week getaways per year.
 
I meant those as two separate issues. Aren't you taxed on engine displacement and various other things?

I think it is more to do with carbon emissions. I drive a 3 litre V6 Ford Mondeo ST220 and get taxed £260 per year. My mum has a Yaris and its £35 a year. Rather annoying really as she probably does more miles than me.

I also note that nobody has mentioned the biggest difference between GT5 and real driving.....

Fear of Death!
 
WHAT!!! REALLY? The most I was quoted was £4000 but I managed to get mine down to £760 because of being a member of British Mini Club and being a classic car got me a bit of a discount.

Just a heads up for you.

Are you aware that you won't gather a no claims bonus under classic insurance?
I have just found that out the hard way. :ouch:
 
Back