Do you drive a car in real life and play GT5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter skylinefx
  • 135 comments
  • 12,578 views

Do you drive?

  • Yes

    Votes: 301 86.2%
  • I have driven before

    Votes: 25 7.2%
  • No

    Votes: 23 6.6%

  • Total voters
    349
How bout them gas prices people? lol & as for driving it's all about my '01 Mitsubishi Mirage.
 
Yes, I got my driving license 18 years ago, and I'm playing driving simulators since 1988 (REVS+).

Happy birthday, hope you can got a GT5 ticket for it.... with delay.
 
Damn really? I'll have to give my insurance a call to see if that is the case. I'm not saying you're wrong. I just want to make sure.

Thanks for the heads up 👍

Please do check. I don't want anyone else falling for that trap. Let me know what they say...

I drive an insanely heavy 2 door Cadillac Eldorado........

I know a song about that ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gnE8dHipTs


Since playing GT5, I find myself carrying more speed through corners and looking for the apex.

The one thing GT can never recreate is the adrenaline you feel when chasing someone in a similar car that wants to play.:sly:
 
No, and I don't have a driver's license. At this point, I see no point in getting one.
 
Been driving since 1984 & doing track days since 1998. 👍
 
Been driving a bit over a year now, 330d E46 '05 at the moment. Very dissapointed not having that car in GT5.. Except for the standard M3..

And Gran Turismo since GT3 came out!
 
Driving since 2008 my Kia Ceed 07 with 109 hp. Love to drive and already drove 7 rounds at the nordschleife (i live in germany).

Its hard to tell if game physics are that real, because nobody pushes his car like in games. I pushed it sometimes, but its still hard to tell. Even i use a Porsche 911 Turbo S from fanatec.
 
Well, it has nothing to do with the tax. The younger you are, the more expensive it will cost to insure... because young drivers are stupid.

Disagree big time. I'm 18 and I'm a safe and cautious driver. Been driving for over a year and not one accident. Sure, the majority of teenagers act insane behind the wheel, but there are some of us out there who have sense. I run into adult drivers on the road all the time that shouldn't be allowed any where near a car, like the people who try to hop into traffic at the very last minute when you're right about to pass them for example. :ouch:

Oh, and I drive a '96 Integra. Love it. :)
 
Disagree big time. I'm 18 and I'm a safe and cautious driver. Been driving for over a year and not one accident. Sure, the majority of teenagers act insane behind the wheel, but there are some of us out there who have sense. I run into adult drivers on the road all the time that shouldn't be allowed any where near a car, like the people who try to hop into traffic at the very last minute when you're right about to pass them for example. :ouch:

It's got nothing to do with individual attitude or skill, these insurance rates are just based on a broad unpersonal generalisation provided by statistics.
Young drivers in general cause more accidents than those who posses their license longer, period, nothing more.

Also, not having an accident is largely a matter of luck, you can drive as safe as possible, that doesn't mean others will (old or young), it happened to me a few years after I got my license when I couldn't avoid hitting a car which passed the road without seeing me coming.
Nobody was hurt thankfully (both cars were written off though) and witnesses confirmed it was the other driver's fault.

I hopefully didn't contribute negatively to those statistics, since the other driver was a pensioner, so at least it levelled out I guess. ;)
 
Last edited:
I do. The gtr in the game handle exactly like real life
 
Yeah, I've been driving in real life for a while. My daily driver is shown in my display picture. GT5 is missing engine vibrations, gears with a mind of their own, foot slipping on a rubber-less clutch, and so on. All of that can be excused though (especially the clutch part), since the closest I'll ever get to driving a 'Vette or GTR is through GT5. I also can wreck these cars without losing my life or paying expensive bills...
 
Been driving since 1997, had honda's, vw's and now a Mitsubishi Lancer. The car sound in GT5 has nothing to do with the RL sound.
 
Yep, been driving for about 15 years or so. Own a 2010 Camaro SS, and before that owned a Lancer Evo, S2000, and a 350Z. No "my father's" this or "my friend's" that or "a guy I know" blah blah
 
I've owned three different sports cars in the 14 years I've been driving, and driven Vettes, Cadillacs, BMWs and other high-end cars; but more relevant to the question, I've been programming for 12 years...

The "physics" people refer to in the game are simulated and rudimentary; for example: in the game there's likely just a few seconds of tire spin when you over-torque on dirt, but in real life the tires will spin until the thousands of tiny pieces of loose debris and sediment beneath them has all been kicked out or packed down - a huge difference despite the seemingly similar response from the car. Despite what people want to think, the PS3 is trillions of hertz away from even remotely simulating all the nuances of the real world.

Not to say the rudimentary stuff doesn't cover a good deal of it to be convincing enough to be enjoyable, but honestly, only 5 years ago most racing games were based on single pivot points for the cars... we still have a very long way to go.

Some may disagree, and a lot of people complain about the understeer, but really, almost everything understeers on the racetrack, including cars with a reputation for oversteering.

niky makes good points about speed and g-force, and I'd even add the limited view into the eqaution, but the game still exhibits too much understeer, most easily seen when trying to take a tight corner in a slow car (license tests). I've done some pretty daring turns at some high speeds in some lackluster cars and still felt far more in control than GT5 allows in even the best of cars.


Been driving a bit over a year now, 330d E46 '05 at the moment. Very dissapointed not having that car in GT5.. Except for the standard M3..
I must be doing something wrong (or you're rich), it took me 10+ years of driving before I could afford my '05 e46 (xi). Also *ck GT5 for putting the '06 3-series in the game as an '05.
 
Last edited:
Drove a Golf GTI in a car park last night(provisional license :D ) and drove one on GT5 too!
 
As far as Tax, insurance and car price goes, you guys have nothing on us Finns. We pay at least 50% for our cars then the rest of the world does. Thats also the reason that we have the second oldest cars in the world on average. only beaten by Cuba -.- . the average car here is about 12 years old. That means no abs, TC or any other luxuries on allot of cars. Combine that with our back roads (witch are like gravel roller coasters) and we get quite a few good drivers. Still I only have had my license for just over a month so I really cant classify myself as a good driver. But I am learning allot every day and have pushed the old crappy thing (2000 Toyota Avensis 1.6) quite allot already:P
 
I drive a 98 TypeR civic but i am restoring a Mk1 Rs2000 escort sadly thats not in GT5 :(
 
Yep been driving for 10 years 1st car was a 1982 mitsubishi scorpion 2.6 lol, have had 3 different holdens since then (current one is fuel injected 5 litre wagon/estate with 235 40/r18 BF goodrich G force profilers).
 
Please do check. I don't want anyone else falling for that trap. Let me know what they say...

I phoned them today and they told me that I am able to get my NCB. Not sure why you are not able to claim it?
 
I generally drive my good ole Ford Taurus "Shaggin Wagon" around the streets, and race a 1963 Triumph Spitfire with varying vintage groups across the country. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a 1970 Triumph GT6+ for daily driving purposes though =)
 
No. I just turned 18 and now waiting to get my driver's license.
 
Been driving for eleven years now and currently have a Nissan S15 200SX (Silvia) that I've had for the last three.
Seen a little bit of track time but mostly early morning fangs through Royal National Park / Macquarie Pass when I'm in Sydney or out through Reefton Spur / Marysville when I'm in Melbourne.
I must say, how the car handles in real life compared to GT5 is quite similar. The in-game physics are quite impressive.
I've also driven a mates Focus XR5 Turbo (ST) and the GT5 version is also pretty accurate. :-)
 
AT age of 33 i still don't have a licence as i haven't had the money nor need for one yet. This might change in near future though as my wife wants to move out of town...

That means no abs, TC or any other luxuries on allot of cars. Combine that with our back roads (witch are like gravel roller coasters) and we get quite a few good drivers.

Finland also has relatively high trafic fatality rates. The great finnish drivers have all started their driving career long before they got their licence.
 
Yep. I drive the Supra 3.0 GT Turbo A. And, it is VERY realistic.
 
lol I'm twelve but my dad let's me drive an Audi A4 "DTM" occasionally
 
I phoned them today and they told me that I am able to get my NCB. Not sure why you are not able to claim it?

You are very lucky then. I have managed to find an insurer who will accept a letter from Heritage stating that I have been claim free for a year so its all good.

Saved £350 as well :dopey:👍

Old cars rule IMO.
 
Yes I have an 88 crx as a fun car, a 94 1.6 escort as a family runaroud and a 2000 ka as a backup. I also own a 89 kawasaki ZXR 750, 2 aprillia rs125's and an aprillia sr125 scooter. Have a problem with letting stuff go. Hehe
 
lol I'm twelve but my dad let's me drive an Audi A4 "DTM" occasionally
Who is your dad? Matthias Ekstrom?

4917445048_1352d68a8c.jpg


Anyway, we can continue this here
 
Well, eventhough I only got my license for about 2 years now, I have driven alot of different cars and also a little bit expierence in karting.

My daily drive is a Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel (W210... By far the best car I have driven till now, yes its 14 years old, but it still looks new and its maybe the most reliable car I have ever seen. The engine is just running and running), but I have also driven several E36s (including a M3) few times, 2 times a E30, a Defender and some other daily cars (my gf`s Fiat too).

Im just waiting to buy a new car till Im finished with studying, right now it could be a bit problematic money wise :) .
Don`t know what it`ll be, currently it looks like it will be a close race between a 370Z and a STI.

Disagree big time. I'm 18 and I'm a safe and cautious driver. Been driving for over a year and not one accident. Sure, the majority of teenagers act insane behind the wheel, but there are some of us out there who have sense. I run into adult drivers on the road all the time that shouldn't be allowed any where near a car, like the people who try to hop into traffic at the very last minute when you're right about to pass them for example. :ouch:

Oh, and I drive a '96 Integra. Love it. :)

Im a safe driver too, here in germany the problem is, almost everyone who has his license for atleast 5-7 years thinks that he/she is skilled as a F1 driver and has every right to do what he wants at the road.
Young drivers here are generally driving slow and not breaking the rules, sometimes they make mistakes (cause lack of expierence), but most times I see random old dudes driving way to fast and dangerous. And those people are mostly forcing young drivers to do the same, they drive to close to them etc or trying to overtake them.
 
Last edited:
Driving BMW 330cd 2004 ;) really nice , fast and economic car ;)
 
Back