Do you drive a car in real life and play GT5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter skylinefx
  • 135 comments
  • 12,578 views

Do you drive?

  • Yes

    Votes: 301 86.2%
  • I have driven before

    Votes: 25 7.2%
  • No

    Votes: 23 6.6%

  • Total voters
    349
Nope i don't drive at all. Don't even have a car license. I have driven a car once or twice before however.

I ride motorbikes and have been for 10+ years now. Currently ride a 2010 Yamaha R1. Can't stand 4 wheels in real life. To slow and no excitement compared to a motorbike. Also the lack of that "freedom" feeling (you bikers know what im talking about!) that you get from riding puts me off cars.

three bikers cliches in one post OMG.

I have driven/raced/drifted all sorts of vehicles
 
You all over in Europe get killed on insurance rates. Aren't the taxes and all that higher on vehicles too?

yep, well the young lads do anyway, my insurance is £400 for a 3.0 v6 xtype sport but worse is we get raped on fuel. roughly £5.30 to the gallon, I currently get 80 miles to £20 good thing is the bigger engines cars have dropped to stupid money
 
Been driving daily for 4 years now. Self taught myself how to drive stick from the beginning.

GT series is no where close to the feel of a real car and the environment of it. you dont have to worry about the cost of gas, pressure of tires, cops, dumbass drivers who can wreck your car, and life itself.

However, it does offer a fun environment where you dont need to worry about what i stated above. You can spin your wheel whenever and however you want without having to endanger anyone and the cost of things you later have to recoup. Trial and errors without any cost other than the game and peripherals itself.
 
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here, but a few series back, Top Gear took an NSX around Laguna Seca in real life and in GT4. I think Clarkson was about two seconds faster in the game. He said he is more fearless in the game cause crashes don't matter.

For me, not having peripheral vision, not being able to see through corners, and not being able to feel the lateral Gs is want makes GT less like reality.
 
I don't really know how it compares to the physics, b/c I'm only 16 and I've had a license for only a year, so I don't know what its like on a track, but as far as acceleration, braking, and light cornering, its very realistic for me. if it makes a difference I use a DFGT wheel
 
Absolutely. Been driving for 12 years, always owned a RWD car. Learned to drive on my dad's restored '57 MGA (4-speed manual), then bought a '66 Pontiac Ventura (3-speed auto, blech) that I drove for 8 years, then upgraded to a 2005 Pontiac GTO (6-speed manual, w00t!). I've made a ton of passes down the drag strip, spent a full day lapping Road Atlanta, and have pushed nearly every car I've driven to and past its limits.

I'd say that other than some extremely poor clutch and low-speed traction physics, GT5 is extremely accurate for the vast majority of the vehicles in the game. It's less fun than real life, but a whole lot cheaper on tires, gas and bodywork.
 
You all over in Europe get killed on insurance rates. Aren't the taxes and all that higher on vehicles too?
With Europe consisting of 44 very different countries, there are big variations in the cost of owning and operating a car. E.g. in Norway, car owners are taxed to death and pay around twice as much for reasonable cars as the British do. I currently live in Sweden and paid 1/3 of what I'd have to pay in Norway for one of my (used) cars. Premium petrol is ca. USD 10 per gallon in Norway (a big oil producer with a partly oil based economy...).

Edit: OT, I've driven cars for 27 years.

DJ
--
 
Last edited:
Yes

Drive my 99 Primera SRi like I stole it, amazing roads in south wales.

Driven a Ferrari 599 and an 911 Turbo on a track too.
 
I've been driving for 7 years now.
I drive my 1997 Ford Fiesta MkIII every day and I love it. :)
 
Yes, almost hehe... I own a Renault Megane 2.0 16v (F4R) in real life, so in GT5 I has bought a Megane Coupe 2.0 and drive it a lot.
 
Well, I'm 24 years old and I logged 130,000 miles on my 2001 Ford Focus and I just passed the 9000 mile mark on my 2010 Toyota Tacoma. My Saab Turbo has 160K but that's a shared auto which I haven't put the bulk of the miles on myself. I've also spend good time behind the wheels of an Audi A6 and A8, Chevy Silverado, Toyota Camry, Volvo C70, MercBenz E-Series, Porsche Cayenne, 60's International Harvester pickups, a few forklifts, some go-karts, and other vehicles that I can't think of off the top of my head. So yeah, I've driven.

I don't really think that gives me any qualifications to rate and review cars, though. In-game is totally different. Driving a Tacoma all over California and Arizona does not enhance my skills in getting a Murcielago LP670 SuperVeloce around Grand Valley Speedway at a quick pace.
 
I ve been driving about 20 years in real life - used various cars and several track days - Crx , Evo 5 , focus st 170 , V6 mondeo civic type r among others but the most fun and fastest cars are always rentals ! .

Gt5 physics are not bad however , certainly give you a pretty good simulation of the basics , under/oversteer even weight shift etc.... but the lack of fear from expensive and painful accidents does remove you from reality :)
 
Been driving since 1999, have owned Vauxhall Astra 1.4l , Ford Focus 1.8l, Renault Laguna 2.0l, Clio 1.4L and currently drive a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI V8.
 
I'm 17 and I'm not a stupid driver, I'm actually a safe driver. TBH I hate those stupid kids in plastic looking 106's, Corsas and Saxos.

Agreed. 👍 And me too, I'm a sensible driver.

I was just saying that most young drivers are stupid as usual (like those with plastic looking 106s, Corsas and Saxos!), not all, and which is why insurance for the young is so expensive.
 
Last edited:
I meant those as two separate issues. Aren't you taxed on engine displacement and various other things?

Insurance is partially aged based here as well, but it's not nearly that bad unless your driving record is terrible.

Yes, tax is higher on bigger engines & heavy cars because they cause more wear on the road and are not kind to the environment. Smaller cars = cheaper.

In the UK, the cost of running a car includes tax (like what I just mentioned above), insurance and MOT (it's a service that checks cars to make sure that they're safe and in a good condition for running on the road without having exhaust coming off, etc!! :lol:).

Also petrol prices are VERY high! :(
 
Last edited:
Just a heads up for you.

Are you aware that you won't gather a no claims bonus under classic insurance?
I have just found that out the hard way. :ouch:

Damn really? I'll have to give my insurance a call to see if that is the case. I'm not saying you're wrong. I just want to make sure.

Thanks for the heads up 👍
 
I got myself a Corvette ZR-1 and it doesn't compare to the game at all. The car only goes 206 MPH before the rev limiter kicks in. The gearing is the only thing I find wrong in the game. In real life it accelerates faster than the game and sounds cooler with bigger cams and upgraded exhaust.
 
Yep, I do drive in real life :)

I have a 2004 Renault Clio and I love it even though it has an auto transmission (my mother uses it also, but she can't stand stardard, that's why we decided to go for an auto transmission) I've been driving on my own for almost 2 years :)

Gt5 physics are not bad however , certainly give you a pretty good simulation of the basics , under/oversteer even weight shift etc.... but the lack of fear from expensive and painful accidents does remove you from reality :)

This is a very good point 👍
 
That's not a lot of miles bud, I've driven somthing like half a million miles in the last twenty years and that is not excessive. Think about it, 12,000 miles a year is average, 12,000 * 20 = 240,000.

Our miles are bigger. I think the funny thing is that not a lot of those miles are highway miles. A lot of it was done on the narrow, congested roads around my hometown, up in the (washed-out, unfenced, unpaved) mountains and in the middle of the night in treacherous conditions.

It's only in the past several years that our highways have come anywhere close to the condition of multilane US Freeways, yet conditions here are still poor enough that local dealerships still use service intervals that are half that of your typical US or European user.
 
I do. Sometimes I try going doing in and out of corner and pretend I'm racing. Other day I put my foot all the way down on the floor because the light was yellow and I was in a hurry, the way the car threw me backwards was amazing. I drive an Acura by the way.
 
A 2011 version of the Holden Commodore and a 2004 non racing version of the AU Ford Falcon.
 


Good teacher, though. Learn the discipline it takes to do a fastest lap... slow in, fast out, throttle and brake modulation... stabilize the car under braking before turning, stabilize the car after the turn before accelerating... and you should do fine at the racetrack.

I kind of like to think that GT and (to a lesser extent with no steering wheel) Forza have prepared me with some better than average driving skills, now being applied to autocross. I spent a lot of time driving the Rufs in GT4, and some of the other, twitchy MR cars. My MR2 is the first RWD car that I've ever driven hard, and it behaves pretty much exactly how cars like it in GT4/5 do.

Its not perfect to use for training during the off-season, but a lot of the game translates well to real life. Basic slow-in-fast-out and apexing techniques of course apply. Learning how to stay in control while sliding seems pretty good too.
 
I've been driving about 6 or 7 years, though I was a late starter, I didn't get my licence until I was 25. While no game will replace what you can learn behind the wheel, the GT series has thought me _why_ a car behaves in a particular way, what the physics are, how to react to the car how to set it up for a corner, and how to separate my inputs. I have been able to apply the theory from GT to my real world (track) driving, and what I've learnt on track days has made me quicker in GT.
 
Yes sir.
2005 Evo 8 MR - daily driver and track car.

2010 Freightliner Cascadia big rig - work toy.
 
Yep, i've been driving for over ten years now.
I've got two Nissan Skylines (both R32's), a 1990 four door GTS-4 (auto), and a 1991 two door GTS (manual). Love them to bits and they are the best handling cars i've ever driven (mind you, the GTS has a lot of mods done to it though).
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=151251

Haven't driven anything too fancy yet, apart from a couple in the below list.

NON SKYLINES I'VE DRIVEN
1980 Toyota Corona [sedan, manual] (first car i ever drove)
1991 Honda Civic [sedan, manual] (my grandparents car)
199x Subaru Legacy GT [wagon, auto] (fiances parents car)
1992 Mazda MS-6 [sedan, manual] (nice engine sound from the v6)
1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo [coupe, auto] (series 4 - my youngest brothers car)
1990 Toyota Hiace [van, manual] (van owned by me and my fiance)
19xx Mazda Familia [sedan, manual] (my sisters car)
199x Toyota Supra SZ [coupe, auto] (my other brothers car - previously owned three Skylines)
1990 Ford Fairmont [sedan, auto] (Mum's one)
Plus two or more other vans (Toyota, Mitsubishi etc) and a few other cars i've forgotten.

SKYLINES I'VE DRIVEN
1996 Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R [coupe, manual] (600hp at the wheels - mates bloody awesome car to drive, sadly rolled over during a hillclimb event though - new one is in the build!)
199x Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R [coupe, manual] (mates car - very stiff suspension and rides low on 18's)
1990 Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-4 [sedan, auto] (my first car - still own it)
199x Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-25 [sedan, auto] (other brothers first car)
199x Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-25 [sedan, auto] (other brothers second car - had cut springs etc when we bought it and a really loud exhaust note)
199x Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-25 [sedan, manual] (Mum's first Skyline, then sold it later cos had too many problems with it)
1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GTS [coupe, manual] (as above, my current Skyline)
1992 Nissan Skyline R32 GTS [coupe, manual] (my fiances Skyline - my GTS is more powerful/quicker)
199x Nissan Skyline R32 GTS [coupe, manual] (fiance's father car)
199x Nissan Skyline R32 GTS [sedan, manual] (mates car, since sold to someone who doesn't look after it as well)

Course, it helps to be in a Skyline car club. :D Had a ride in a few R32 GTS-t's and another R32 GT-R too plus a Cefiro and Stagea. Ride is still pending in another mates 1,100hp plus GT-R, if he's still got a passenger seat in it.

But yeah, i haven't yet been able to afford to do a track day (and also don't want to risk damaging my ride home) but have done a few drag race events and a couple of grasskhanas.
 
Last edited:
Yes, I'm a few months into driving (I'm still a complete newb to driving, lol) I currently drive a 1993 BMW 318is on the E36 chassis, it has over 190,000 miles on the chassis, but the engine, suspension, wheels, and transmission only have about 200 or so, so it runs really healthy, and it's rather fun to drive, now to find a job to spend some time fixing it up. I should go find something close the the 318is in GT5.
 
I drive an insanely heavy 2 door Cadillac Eldorado. Was easy to become accustomed to GT5's understeer, which many n00bz complain about :p
 
I've driven alot and i love to.
Will build up a race car with a friend to do some Slalom Events in Switzerland and France. We arent sure what to buy yet :D
Maybe a Alfa 75, Escort or something like that.

Cant wait to start :drool:


One thing I do hope you all get to experience it what it is really like when turbochargers spool up. I had a Volvo S40 twin turbo for a few years, and most of the time the car was like any other, but stomping on the gas and going from 70MPH to 90+ in seconds was exciting.

Twin-Turbo S40?!
Lovely :D

I drive the V40 T4. Only changed the exaust from cat and lowerd it a bit.
Will add new downpipe, cat and a chip.
But why a Twin-Turbo on a 4cylinder? Why not just a bigger Turbo. Isnt it more trouble than it's worth?
 
I drive a Renaultsport Clio 200 and a Renaultsport Twingo 133 Cup. Both of them are epic cars to drive and throw around. I've learnt all my skills on the road but generally find both real world and gaming influences the other.
 
I drive a 99' BMW 323i E46. Decent drive, used daily.
 
Back