Do you even consider seriously playing any other racer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlexGTV
  • 126 comments
  • 8,634 views
First GT game I played was GT4 and it was so horrible, that I quited at 10%. So I was surprised by GT5 and definitely are waiting for GT6.

And of course I play all good racing games, they don't happened often
 
I've been playing since GT1 and I am fully aware of the Good and Bad Points about GT5 but...and this is a huge thing for me. SHIFT feels horrible to drive with a wheel and is horrible to look at.

In all my 13(ish) years of gaming, I can not think of any game with such a terrible user interface. SHIFT is also the only game on consoles that manages to give me a headache each time I play it. I doubt everyone finds the game as horrible to play as I do, but take into concideration that the camera is constantly shaking, the sound is always loud and the physics are very, very rigid and stiff.
 
No at least until shift 2 is released
The sound was better in the first one, the sence of speed was also better
The career was a bit crappy thow and the FFB was worst, but what they really need to improve is the phisics. if they can match GT5 phisics and FFB then they have a winner.
They also had very good tracks for example the ring in shift is very very similar to the one in GT5
 
The Gran Turismo series is the only reason I buy Playstations and not some other system. I've played other racing games since having to wait for GT5 for so long. Now that it's out though, I probably won't be playing anything else for like a year.
 
I will play GT6 as i have loved and played each GT so far. But i do also play iRacing, Rfactor, NetKar and did dabble with F1 2010/Dirt 2/Grid

If i ever had a choice of 3 racing games, GT would be there. Alongside Rfactor and iRacing.
 
I was in division 1 of MLG's cooking Mama international league. Almost gone pro but I have to retire due to injury.

The doctor told me that I can never play Cooking Mama again.... :(
 
on a console? no.

no other racers really peak my interest.

not into arcade racers and FMS, as great as it is, just not into the whole mod deal.

I have thought about IRacing but currently lack the proper computer system setup for it. maybe when I move to a new place build a little dedicated system for it to be added into my Home Theater.
 
I've played many other racers over the years, including Need For Speed, Project Gotham Racing, Burnout, Forza, and many other smaller ones. But, I prefer Gran Turismo over all them for one word; Real. Gran Turismo is much more real than any other racing game out there.
 
if you have a 360, or are considering getting one and don't own Forza 3...then you're just plain missing out. I prefer GT5 to FM3, but Forza is a GREAT game
 
Hell yeah! I just hooked up my old Xbox and played some good ol RalliSport Challenge, a little Toca and some Burnout Revenge!

I pop in Dirt and Shift once in a while on the PS3 and wouldn't mind picking up a used Grid somewhere...

GT5 is getting a lot of my time right now, but it certainly leaves room for other stuff.

Grid is fantastic!!! I love that game. But GT has all my time for now.
 
GT5 is great, but I've also got Need For Speed Shift 2 already pre-ordered. Different games have different strengths and weaknesses, but as long as they're great overall, I'm quite happy to spend my money on them.
 
if you have a 360, or are considering getting one and don't own Forza 3...then you're just plain missing out. I prefer GT5 to FM3, but Forza is a GREAT game

I agree. I also prefer GT but it only took me 5 minutes playing FM3 to realise it is a great game. I don't own an Xbox but would seriously consider getting one for FM4...
 
i am definitely a gran turismo fan. i don't think i've put in what i would call significant playing time in any non-gt racing game since gt1 came out.
 
Well, I got a PS3, steering wheel and built a wheel stand for this game alone.

there's no chance I would do all that for need for speed games and the other less acclaimed games. I would certainly still enjoy them but have never and will never go to the extent that I have to have the best possible GT experience possible.
 
Not considering any other racer even for a second

Gran Turismo to me has always been the perfect balance between accessibility, fun, and realism. I have the PC sims, rFactor, GTR2, etc. Sure in some ways their physics may be more realistic, but they aren't anywhere near as fun or accessible as Gran Turismo. Also the Gran Turismo community is way larger then any obscure PC sim community which means there will always be a ton of guys online to race

In fact I'm not even considering playing any other game except Little Big Planet 2.
 
As others have said, iracing, rfactor, gtr 2, even live for speed have much better physics and sound in gt5 is no comparison. Rfactor 2 is coming out soon and will have improved graphics. Take a look at this list of the best sim cars...

http://www.insidesimracing.tv/topsimcars
 
As others have said, iracing, rfactor, gtr 2, even live for speed have much better physics and sound in gt5 is no comparison.

Not sure what do you mean. LFS is a top PC simulator and obviously better than this ancient g-motor rFactor physics engine.

GTR 2 is half arcadish, the best Simbin games were made before it broke into halves - GTR and GTL
 
Yes I play any racing game I like.
 
Race Pro, still the best physics on a console. But GT5 is very nice too.
 
Many people here are forgetting nkpro.

@ otago.
LFS is getting old, and the devs don;t seem to be doing anything. Currently I don't think it's a top sim. It has been paased by iRacing and nkpro. Also the tyre physics are sometimes a bit strange and we shouldn't talk about damage..


Imo best Simbin games were GTL and GTR2. GTR1 has plain wrong tyre physics, no dx9 and other stuff. Also real life GT racers say GTR2 is better than GTR1 or GTR Evo.
 
@ otago.
LFS is getting old, and the devs don;t seem to be doing anything. Currently I don't think it's a top sim. It has been paased by iRacing and nkpro. Also the tyre physics are sometimes a bit strange and we shouldn't talk about damage..

I agree it's all matter of opinion, especially consider that cars in LFS and rFactor are fake and can't be compared to reality.

No doubts both are fine simulators in terms of physics.

Race Pro is pretty much "point and shoot". Most of cars do nothing but understeer. Maybe it's exactly what all this FIA GT cars do in real life, nobody knows, but in game they are very easy to handle (except Caterham).

In GT5 racing lines don't matter much. You don't loose speed going wrong, unless you are going really wrong.
 
Last edited:
Pretty much the only other racing game I'll play is Forza.

GT5 is otherwise my favorite game physics and graphics wise. Always fun to grab my Alfa TZ2 and run it around the Top Gear Test track or the 'Ring in cockpit view.

But Forza is just pretty fun anyways :). And Forza 4 looks interesting with the "look around the car" thing.

Ether way, both games are great. Just got back into Forza 3 after getting and messing around with the new Community Classics car pack.

Now Mr. Bob is getting me to level 24 on Indy and trying to get me the 5 million Cr. for the FGT...which is getting boring, but I have Top Gear to watch :D.
 
yea all the time! been playing gt1 since like grade 1 and played them all and on ps2 i played a few nfs's... and actually waiting for gt5 to come out on ps3 has led me to like a few other racers such as motorstorm, burnout paradise (i was obsessssssssed with this game especially cuz i got it for $20 only), and nfs shift (can't wait for shift 2)! these games just have a different atmosphere and are fun as well!
 
Mig
Well, I got a PS3, steering wheel and built a wheel stand for this game alone.

I did the same thing for GT 4 and I'm not willing to buy every game console just to have a different racing game.I played Monaco Grand Prix when I had a super nes and I really liked that game especially the part where you had to qualify for grid position.
GT 5 is what it is and I'm just going to play because I like to race.
I'm thinking of revamping my racing cockpit setup to a more professionally looking one
 
...especially consider that cars in LFS and rFactor are fake and can't be compared to reality....

What does that mean? Have you actually seen and driven any of the hundreds and hundreds of vehicles that people have created and made available for rFactor?

To answer the original question, all the time. GT5 is fun in it's own way, but there's no way I would call it a "racer". It even says on the box "driving simulator"... not "racing". :)
 
The official cars and well made mods for Rfactor are closer to reality than most of the cars in GT5. People who have only experienced the console can't understand the quality of the sims available on the PC, i love GT5 but some of the vehicles available through mods in Rfactor are amazing. You can go around saying that they aren't close to real life because they are not official, then the same can be said for all of the cars in GT5.


GT5 is a great racer, best physics on any console game and in some ways it works closer to real life than the best PC sims, but as an overall view GT5 is still a fair bit behind the PC sims in terms of quality, the biggest area for me is braking and the way the cars react under braking. I'ts not about the game being easier to drive, because even iRacing in some cars can be easier than GT5, its just getting everything feeling right, mostly with the tyre model.

Lastly GT5 isnt a racing sim, the events and racing in the game are nothing like real world racing, it is simply the driving that is simulated. The PC sims have more in depth detail and accuracy in the physics and in the general feel of simulating real life race events, and i would recommend any GT5 player who has not tried them to give them a chance.
 
The official cars and well made mods for Rfactor are closer to reality than most of the cars in GT5. People who have only experienced the console can't understand the quality of the sims available on the PC, i love GT5 but some of the vehicles available through mods in Rfactor are amazing. You can go around saying that they aren't close to real life because they are not official, then the same can be said for all of the cars in GT5.


GT5 is a great racer, best physics on any console game and in some ways it works closer to real life than the best PC sims, but as an overall view GT5 is still a fair bit behind the PC sims in terms of quality, the biggest area for me is braking and the way the cars react under braking. I'ts not about the game being easier to drive, because even iRacing in some cars can be easier than GT5, its just getting everything feeling right, mostly with the tyre model.

Lastly GT5 isnt a racing sim, the events and racing in the game are nothing like real world racing, it is simply the driving that is simulated. The PC sims have more in depth detail and accuracy in the physics and in the general feel of simulating real life race events, and i would recommend any GT5 player who has not tried them to give them a chance.

This.

Well said.
 
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit if I want something outlandish and just downright fun in the ridiculous department.
 
rFactor and all the GTR games...haven't tried iRacing yet, I think my PC is not fast enough for that beast...

That really is the issue with PC racing(actually PC games) in general, the entry is steep and less of a "turn key" operation. You need a good rig to play them vs any $200 console from Best Buy.
 
Back