Do you even consider seriously playing any other racer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlexGTV
  • 126 comments
  • 8,634 views
Forza 4 will be awesome no doubt, and at least cheaters get banned from playing.
 
I was very interested in playing F1 2010, but I've heard it's got quite a few bugs.
 
A few racing games (other than the GT series which I have been a big fan of since the original GT) that I loved:

Tokyo Xtreme Racer/Shutoku Battle/Import Tuner Challenge series

Forza Series

D1 Grand Prix Professional Drifting

Juiced 2 on PSP (lame presentation i know but it had TONS of content and actually really tight arcade controls)

Wangan Midgnight on PS3

Midnight Club LA
 
I played GT 1 and 2 on the original playstation but never played 3 and 4. The strange thing is GT5 feels very familiar to GT2, which in some ways is a bad thing and in others it isn't.

I liked Grid a lot although it was incredibly frustrating at times.

I also liked Dirt 2 and I'm probably going to get NFS Hot Pursuit when the price comes down.

The difference I've noticed between GT5 and other games is the kind of fun I get out of it.

Games like Dirt and NFS are Fun in that they're entertaining. Gran Turismo is fun in a more rewarding way.
 
GT5 is my life... I live inside my PS3 now.
 
Always Gran Turismo - I was hooked from the first trailer! I do like F1, and the occasional old school arcade racer, but 99% of my time is spent racing in Gran Turismo. 👍

GT5 is my life... I live inside my PS3 now.

Doesn't It get a little cramped in there? I guess a cardboard box would look like a mansion! :sly: :lol: 👍
 
In response to the thread title, no (excluding PC sims, naturally). I gave FM3 a shot last year, but its super-sticky handling and laughable render quality deterred me.
 
Not putting all my eggs in one basket.

Games on my horizon at the moment are dirt 3 and Forza 4.
 
By the way, those having old computers but that want to try a racing sim with very good physics should try Live For Speed.

It runs pretty decently on my 1.6ghz celeron M laptop with 1 Gb of RAM.

I play it once in a while since I love the physics in that game, but I dont know why, I am almost always GT5 since I just can't stop playing.
 
My one friend has always been into racing games. So I've been able to try most of the games that have come to market. But gran turismo is the only one I feel is worth buying to me, it's been that way since gt3. But since I bought a wheel for gt5 a couple of weeks ago, I have high hopes for dirt 3 and f1 2011.
 
If its got 4 wheels than I will play it.
 
By the way, those having old computers but that want to try a racing sim with very good physics should try Live For Speed.

It runs pretty decently on my 1.6ghz celeron M laptop with 1 Gb of RAM.

I play it once in a while since I love the physics in that game, but I dont know why, I am almost always GT5 since I just can't stop playing.

The best thing about Live For Speed is that the demo version, for trying out the physics is completely free to download. I'd recommend that game to anyone who loves racing. :)
 
Yeah GT5 will be my primary racer. Only other racers I will buy is the new Motor Storm game because it's a very fun and destructive arcade game. As well will buy FM4 because it will be a fun game as well. And for the PC ill buy rFactor2 and come back to iRacing is they do a huge update with coool content. The rest of racers can suck it, especially Dirts, Shift, and Grid series, they are just fake feeling.
 
While the PC sims have slightly better physics, they're just stale and dusty compared to Gran Turismo. GT games have a panache and atmosphere that others just can't match, even as weird as GT5 ended up being. No other game lets me collect cars, mod and race them like this. Except Forza, but it has serious issues every game, and that's because it's a Microsoft copycat.

I'll probably give rFactor 2 and Forza 4 a sniff, but I can imagine that GT5 is going to be my game until GT6 comes along.
 
Ridge Racer Type 4, I will probably consider playing again :)
 
As console games go, I'm really looking forward to Dirt 3 (Ken Block's gymkhana track FTW), and the NTG:2011 looks pretty intense as well.
 
I have on my pc:

- DiRT
- DiRT 2
- GRiD
- NFS Shift
- F1 2010


I stopped playing them all in mid-October to wait for Gran Turismo 5. Even after the news of the delay, I have not played any of them.

I will only play the best racing game of all time.
 
I love Dirt 2 and it definitely does rally better than GT5. The physics aren't as good overall, but it gets rally just about close enough that it "feels" right.

Shift was occasionally fun but ultimately frustrating. That said I may give Shift 2 a run, but not at full price.
 
I love Dirt 2 and it definitely does rally better than GT5. The physics aren't as good overall, but it gets rally just about close enough that it "feels" right.

Shift was occasionally fun but ultimately frustrating. That said I may give Shift 2 a run, but not at full price.

how??? DiRT is arcade man.. GT5 Rally is a simulator...
 
how??? DiRT is arcade man.. GT5 Rally is a simulator...

Correct, but Dirt is Just plain more fun and the courses are much more realistic. The GT5 generated rally courses just don't feel very much like a WRC rally. The Eiger and Toscana courses actually are much more realistic however they are barely used. Dirt may be arcade but it just feels right and the cars do behave close enough to realistic that it is more fun than frustrating. Plus the competition is closer there, I easily obliterated the competition in GT5 even in slightly lesser cars. Basically I meant my comment as a rally "game" Dirt 2 is better.

For the record I did blow through all the rally stuff in GT5 now problem and I have gone to rally racing school. The combination of the way the cars behave, the lack of grip on the surfaces compared to reality, and also the wide featurless courses, makes it yes very simulator like, but just too far off. It did get kind of fun towards the end though. When I did beat it I was kind of sad it was done, it was just starting to get better (courses were a little tighter in advanced at least).
 
Please let us know when someone makes it. I've been waiting for years.

;)

I'm not even going to bother explaining why your logic there was so amusingly flawed. :lol:
 
Still playing GT5. But I've been contemplating on Shift and Forza 4 (when it comes).
 
Wipeout HD

Other console car games don't feel right and the PC racers lose their appeal because of the inherent complexity of PC gaming, their only really offering race car games and not the car simulator type experience of GT, and the fact that even though a PC GPU is many times more powerful than a consoles, they don't to this day match even GT4 save for screen resolution.
 
I agree completely. I love the feel of Dirt 2 compared to rallying in GT5. I don't like GT5's rally mode at all - and after about 1/2 hour of trying to get into it I gave up. Road racing on the other hand in GT5 is fantastic!

Dirt 2 will remain my "go to" game for rallying for the time being. It looks/sounds/feels great. 👍

I love Dirt 2 and it definitely does rally better than GT5. The physics aren't as good overall, but it gets rally just about close enough that it "feels" right.

Shift was occasionally fun but ultimately frustrating. That said I may give Shift 2 a run, but not at full price.
 
Do you even consider seriously playing any other racer?

Yes. We have little choice, realistically. Most people, no matter how much they love a game, won't play it exclusively for half a decade while waiting for the sequel. To illustrate, if I had exclusively clung to the GT franchise from GT4 and until GT5, I would have missed out on the several dozen racing games I've enjoyed in between the two releases. They don't have to be racing sims to be enjoyable to play, after all, and I spent a great deal of time enjoying the crap out of the Forza games that helped bridge the gap. I'll definitely be picking up FM4 as soon as it's available during the several-year gap between GT5 and GT6.
 
Hell yer!! I loved Forza 3 and i'll probably get F4, but minus the crappy Kenect thingy, that was shown!

I'd like to see more racers support the wheels everyone are now using, like Dirt 3 which is said to be going back to it rally stage roots. I'd buy Hot Pursuit, but they don't have the DFGT support.
 
I played rfactor and LFS... Recently downloaded a drift patch for rfactor before I got GT5 and its amazing. Ill be getting Dirt 3 when it comes out. I love and defend the GT series no doubt... however why not enjoy it all.

Purist are often closed minded about things... don't be that way.
 
Last edited:
Back