Do you even consider seriously playing any other racer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlexGTV
  • 126 comments
  • 8,634 views
Ive been playing GT series since the original on PS1. Racing games, for me, get boring too quickly but the GT series has always held my attention.
Only other racing games I've actually managed to get into were DIRT and Test Drive : Unlimited (I loved the freedom on this game. The map size was immense).
 
The only other racing game I play is F1 2010. For all it's flaws it produces some great tense racing when the group I play with get together.

Will definitely be buying 2011 too.
 
I wish I could play Forza 3 but I don't have a Xbox 360 anymore nor do I plan to buy 1 just for that game. I also want to play Test Drive Unlimited 2 whenever it releases, if it hasn't been canceled.
 
The only other 'realistic' racing game I've played is GTR.
Although some apparently say the physics are better, I found that it wasn't translated well enough into the FFB. In GT5 I feel the car better through my wheel.

Liked GTR a lot though.
 
Yes I do, I'll try any game that is meant to be realistic, I'll usually not play them for long after a finish them though, unless the drifting is realistic or entertaining. I've tried LFS, rfactor, GTR, shift. I like LFS the most as nothing i have tried comes close for realistic drifting. GT5 the drifting is entertaining and is a little realistic too and it will probably keep me entertained long after i finish the game.
 
As far as the feel goes, Forza and GT are both in the zone I like best. More arcadey stuff feels stupid, more simulationist not fun anymore. That being said, Grid and Dirt are perfectly ok. Their predecessor, ToCa 3, was really good, despite the slightly cartoonish physics. By the way, very evil corporation of Codemasters to split a great game in to two just OK ones.

I lalso liked TDU, despite the feel, and I'm looking forward to TDU2. TDU had bad physics, but it felt somehow neutral. I prefer neutral cartoon physics to bonkers ones, like in NFS-style full-on arcade stuff.

I do not like NFS, not even the supposedly more realistic ones. They just feel wrong. I played the NFS-UG stuff, but not for the drive, more just as action games, rather than driving games. Early Burnouts were nice, but the later ones have put me off.
 
Yes, Shift 2 will crush gran turismo 5 and every one will stop play GT5 and switch to Need For Speed.

At least that's what main director responsible for Shift is saying :)

But after my platinum in GT5 i will check WRC 2010, i have to :)
 
I played Forza 2/3 and F1 2010 is a great game. The AI and weather are vastly better than GT5. Cars actually slow down and go around you if you spin!
 
Yes I do, I'll try any game that is meant to be realistic, I'll usually not play them for long after a finish them though, unless the drifting is realistic or entertaining. I've tried LFS, rfactor, GTR, shift. I like LFS the most as nothing i have tried comes close for realistic drifting. GT5 the drifting is entertaining and is a little realistic too and it will probably keep me entertained long after i finish the game.

GRID Nailed Drifting IMHO.
 
The only other 'realistic' racing game I've played is GTR.
Although some apparently say the physics are better, I found that it wasn't translated well enough into the FFB. In GT5 I feel the car better through my wheel.

Liked GTR a lot though.

You are right. GTR2 has great physics but the FFB is actually laughable. What is the point in having amazing physics if the FFB sucks??

Anyway if you still play GTR2 and want to try it with FFB which is on a par with GT5 then try my own FFB settings for the game available here....

http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=22841

....many happy customers from the 6000+ downloads. Why SIMBIN were unable to produce decent FFB effects is beyond me so I did it for them.:sly:
 
How my games rank:

1. GTA IV ( There's racing in there too )
2. DIRT 2
3. BLUR
4. GT5
5. DIRT

And NFS is on my wish list, so I'll edit after I play a couple weeks of high speed chases. NASCAR 2011 and DIRT 3 are on their way too.

Edit:
Got NFS... Was going to play for a couple hours and go back to GT5. 7 hours later, can't stop playing NFS.
 
Last edited:
Correct, but Dirt is Just plain more fun and the courses are much more realistic. The GT5 generated rally courses just don't feel very much like a WRC rally. The Eiger and Toscana courses actually are much more realistic however they are barely used. Dirt may be arcade but it just feels right and the cars do behave close enough to realistic that it is more fun than frustrating. Plus the competition is closer there, I easily obliterated the competition in GT5 even in slightly lesser cars. Basically I meant my comment as a rally "game" Dirt 2 is better.

I agree completely. I love the feel of Dirt 2 compared to rallying in GT5. I don't like GT5's rally mode at all - and after about 1/2 hour of trying to get into it I gave up. Road racing on the other hand in GT5 is fantastic!

Dirt 2 will remain my "go to" game for rallying for the time being. It looks/sounds/feels great. 👍

Agreed. Other than the beauty of Eiger, GT5 falls way flat on the rally stuff.

Dirt 2 is a blast, even though it is lacking in some areas (car setups come to mind). Crank the difficulty up to Savage and it's a pure adrenaline rush, the way racing should be. :D

BTW - Although I'm probably guilty of it myself, getting into a debate as to why one console game should be labeled a sim and another an arcade racer is a bit silly. They are all games, unless you have a $40,000 motion platform and custom coding to tie into it. GT5 is no more a simulator than is Dirt 2.

...What is the point in having amazing physics if the FFB sucks??...

I feel that way about GT5 most of the time. :)

The physics feel right, but the FFB has a lot of room for improvement.
 
Last edited:
I'll probably start Iracing again sometime soon but my subscription went on hiatus and I haven't touched any other game since GT5 came out so who knows... and I'm just hitting the levels where the game starts to get good.
 
i play forza when my friend comes over cause, he cant handle GT5 lol
 
I'll definitely pick up Forza 4 even though it will be a bit sucky due to the lack of a wheel. Looking forward to see what EA has in store with NFS Shift 2 as well. I'll also surely pick up MotorStorm Apocalypse. Of course this last one has nothing to do with real driving but I think it will be a blast to play this in 3D.
 
Another racing game with outstanding physics is Race Pro for the 360.

That game was really bad. I pre ordered the 911 turbo s wheel for that game, and when the game finally came out, the cars cars were undrivable with it. It was the opposite ig how GT5 and shift are with the fanatec wheel. There was way to much deadzone in the center. You were always having to turn the wheel left and right to keep going straight.

Race pro was the biggest letdown game of all time for me. I was really excited about it.

For the OP
Yes I will play other racing games. I will probably buy any game released for the ps3 or 360 that is suppose to be anything like a sim. GT5 is by far not the end of racing games. It's not even that great of a game. I hate to say it but forza 3 as far as games go was a much better game. Everything moved along nice in forza. No grinding at all. Any sort of game that you have to grind in, was not thought out very well. But I think GT5 has a much better driving experience.
 
Last edited:
I play alot of PC racing sims, its hard to balance GT5 and game like Rfactor because one is a sim and the other, not so much.
 
That game was really bad. I pre ordered the 911 turbo s wheel for that game, and when the game finally came out, the cars cars were undrivable with it. It was the opposite ig how GT5 and shift are with the fanatec wheel. There was way to much deadzone in the center. You were always having to turn the wheel left and right to keep going straight.

Race pro was the biggest letdown game of all time for me. I was really excited about it.

Thats because Race Pro is a awful console port, play some real (PC) simbin games and you will have the greatest virtual driving experience possible.
 
I own many, many driving games, for PS3, Xbox and PC - but most of the time I will be playing either GT5 or iRacing.
 
I own many, many driving games, for PS3, Xbox and PC - but most of the time I will be playing either GT5 or iRacing.

I would love to get into iracing, but monthly fees are just ********.
 
I just got F1 2010 for Christmas.It's been a while and to add to the difficulty there are tracks that I've never raced on before and racing from the cockpit view doesn't give you much to see as far as braking points and general track layout, and I appear to be in a learning curve.
 
Yes, both rfactor and iRacing. Though the physics in GT5 are good, both of these are better and more realistic...IMHO.

Add the GTR series to that list and you have me... and F1 2010 just for kicks. The career mode is pretty fun - not realistic, but fun.
 
i love & have a lot of racing Titles. In my current collection i have...

Gran Turismo 5
Gran Turismo 5:P
Gran Turismo 4
Gran Turismo3
Forza Motorsports 3
Forza Motorsports 2
Forza Motorsports
Import Tuner Challenge
Kaido Touge No Densetsu
Shutokou Battle 01
rFactor
Race Pro
Need For Speed: Shift
Colin McRae Rally 2005
Rallisport Challenge 2
V8 Superstars
WRC Rally: Evolved

... & my favorite racing game, Test Drive Unlimited.

i always find myself going back to GT4 (might have been superseded by GT5 now), CMR5 (most fun rally game to me, great stress relief), & TDU (usually play this while gossiping on the phone w/ my brother for hours)!!
 
Last edited:
First GT game I played was GT4 and it was so horrible, that I quited at 10%. So I was surprised by GT5 and definitely are waiting for GT6.

And of course I play all good racing games, they don't happened often

GT4 as in Grand Turismo 4? Surely you must be speaking of Grand Theft Auto 4. GT4 in some ways is better than GT5 if you ask me. Your the first person I have come across that said GT4 was horrible. Of coarse your opinion is your opinion.
 
I used to play Live For Speed when I had a PC, but then I switched to a Mac and never bothered to install Windows, so I haven't played it in a couple years. I see nothing has been updated with it in that long either. I would love to try iRacing, but same thing... Lack of a Windows PC...

So for now I just play GT5 - it's good enough for now!
 
iRacing is not worth it at all. I subscribed for about a year and let it expire yesterday for being fed up with them shoveling out cars and tracks and not fixing the physics. IMHO the physics blow in iRacing. Since when can you drop the clutch in a 600+HP IndyCar and barely get any wheelspin? For how much they charge and not fixing anything stay away from iRacing. Get GTR2 and look into northamericangp.com. 20 bucks, a GREAT league that does in house mods/physics. Best racing around. GT5 is good but until they get to the immersion level GTR2 is at it remains at the top for me.
 
Although I´m a hardcore GT fan and had every single Gran Turismo, believe it or not, I´m still dying to play Forza 3(if I ever get an Xbox). I guess my car crazyness is stronger than my GT fanboyism.

Car games that I´ve had or have:
Gran turismo 1, 2, 3, 4, 5P and 5.
Automodellista (Good try by Capcom. That game had potential. Too bad they didn´t try it again.)
NFS Underground 1 and 2 (not a simulator really, but underground 2 was one of the best made NFS, best engine sounds in a car game)
NFS Most Wanted (Terrible graphycs and glitchy engine sounds, plus horrible gameplay)
NFS Carbon (good game, but the same glitchy engine sounds killed the expirience)
NFS Pro Street (a good try by EA, but quite erratic and glitchy game)
NFS Undercover (Great music, good arcade physics, great car list and modifications. Great game overall without the last update that kills it.)
NFS Shift (good try again, but... Terrible half backed game. Good graphics when paused...only that)
Collin Mc Rae Dirt (Impressive game. Alot of fun. An example of dedication and car enthusiasm on the making. I love it.)

I´m so surprised that I´ve had alot of NFS. I´m not even a tunner ethusiast! They are not even simulators!! I really need a good simulator.
 
Last edited:
I loved burnout paradise and just got NFS:HP. The arcade racers are a nice change of pace.
 
Back