Do you start races if not in pole position?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ORGNDTND
  • 64 comments
  • 4,575 views
Messages
5
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I always try to get the best time possible on the time trial as don't like starting races if not going to win.
 
Thats kind of an odd way to play but sure.

As for me, I don't care where I start. I of course try to qualify best I can but i'm placed where i'm placed at the start and go from there. As long as I have a fun clean race I'm good and anything can happen so winning from 7th is still possible.
 
I always try to set a top10 lap before entering a race. More often than not, I get pole - I have ~50% or something but in the beginning I wouldn't care so much about the starting position because I didn't even though I could make it into the top10.

I don't enter a lot of races though, even if I have lots of fun practicing and setting flying laps by myself. I avoid tracks and cars I don't like so much or don't know yet as well as some others - on S/S level, not getting a sector right means you won't win a race at all.

Do you win all the races you start on pole? Do you leave the lobby is you see you're not on pole?
 
How do you learn to drive clean in that case?

For the longest time I never bothered to qualify, still ended up in B/S with a lot of experience overtaking, dodging and anticipating other people's behavior. Now I'm qualifying I'm A/S and always manage to avoid getting part in those crippling accidents. You don't learn much driving up front.
 
I think pole is a bit of pot luck when your in the B's..a few times Ive had pole then next race same time p5...
 
coming from a Real Life driver even if I don't get the pole I don't tell my team to pack it up we are going home. If you want to get better, you need to practice when i'm not on track i'm playing gtsport even in the off season i'm on 6-12 hours a day
 
Last edited:
Even pole does not guarantee a win.
But yes I start races even if I'm not on pole.

Actually battling for position is alot more more fun than doing your laps with a 5 second lead.
 
I think you lose the best part of racing ... "the battle"

I always start behind...


IR
 
I always try to get the best time possible on the time trial as don't like starting races if not going to win.

WOW.
Imagine if everyone did that?

The best races i've had have been fighting for xth position.

When i first started i would be on pole and win by 30+ seconds which is boring.
 
I always try to get the best time possible on the time trial as don't like starting races if not going to win.
So you quit if not given pole?
 
I have more fun in 5th position than driving first. I like the fight. Of course the aim is being first. But the road and fight to earn that position during a race is a lot more fun to me.
 
Starting pole is boring, thats not racing its just driving consistent for a few laps. Last night I started 14th in the Gr4 4 lap race and in that short distance managed to finish 6th. 6th you say, that's nothing! That's 2 cars per lap, constantly. THAT'S racing! And that 6th felt brilliant I can tell you!
 
Last edited:
For sure I do, at least I try to set a Qualy time that is good enough to be competitive throughout a race. I aim to be near Top10 times and if I feel comfortable and confident on the Car and track combo I just drive. Winning is not so important, it’s the racing against guys/gals who drive clean, fair and respectful. Drive with honor and pride and enjoy the races.
 
I've noticed in lobby races that a lot of people will quit when they think they are not going to win. I think it is truly pathetic.
I used to see the same guy doing this all the time, I've since realised he was wanting the pole position trophy.
 
Too many arcade players.... that is all I can say when reading a lot of threads here....

Of course, you buy the game, you can play how you want. Let that be clear.
 
Too many arcade players.... that is all I can say when reading a lot of threads here....

This.
I don't play to get a million victories, if I did then I would play GT League... online racing is about the battle and the enjoyment of racing hard against similarly rated competitors.
 
I usually do around 10-12 laps qualifying and see how far I am off the top 10. I try and get within a few seconds roughly and that usually puts me somewhere in the top 5.

As for races, I'm very selective. Only 10+ lap races, only GR3 and usually only real tracks.
 
Back