Do you think chase cam is for noobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm honestly not sure how anyone drives in chase view effectively. You turn the car and the car moves before the scenery moves. It just doesn't make sense.

I prefer everything to turn when I turn like in real life

Anyone who can use the superglued chase came of GT4-present is far better of a driver than I am.

Funnily enough I have only ever liked the Gran Turismo chase cameras, and never have been able to use chase cam in any other game. I think it's because most chase cams lock the camera to the scenery, and the car looks like it turns on a pivot, and I find it hard to tell where exactly the car is pointing when the car is at angle like that. Whilst with GT, it feels more direct with the camera being locked to the car - during a turn I know exactly where the car is heading. I know I'm in the minority in this though!

I find the chase cam actually harder for me, than it is using the cockpit or hood/roof view.

Because with the chase cam I don't see the front of the car, so i lose a bit of the sense of space and can't aim for the best racing lines.

But I prefer using the chase cam, I mean it's a video game, I like to enjoy the looks of my car while still racing, except when I'm racing seriously, then I use cockpit or hood/roof.

80-90% of the time on cockpit view, the rest 10-20% - sometimes on chase, sometimes on bumper, sometimes on hood ( rarest ) All drive the same for me, back in PSX and PS2 days, I often use chase cam for racing games, unless the game has good cockpit view like TOCA :D

Funnily enough I have only ever liked the Gran Turismo chase cameras, and never have been able to use chase cam in any other game. I think it's because most chase cams lock the camera to the scenery, and the car looks like it turns on a pivot, and I find it hard to tell where exactly the car is pointing when the car is at angle like that. Whilst with GT, it feels more direct with the camera being locked to the car - during a turn I know exactly where the car is heading. I know I'm in the minority in this though!
Wrong..Don't put yourself into minority.
My guess is 50/50% chase-cam vs. other cam
In chase-cam i'm better at avoiding collision with other cars.

I'm beginning to question if the bumper cam really is the best for me. Then I tried chase cam and got distracted by the pretty car.
Different folks, different strokes

The only times I can recall not using chase cam over the years is during licence tests (since GT2), GT Academy 2012 and cockpit for whenever I'm messing about online.

I find that repeated use of bumper or hood cam in conjunction with muscle memory coming into play helps drop my times a little. But even the stiff chase cam of later GT games is more comfortable to use during a typical race than any of the on-board views.

Reactions: hsv
I generally started out playing racing games with a chase cam. Using chase cam on a game like Colin McRae Rally was useful as it allowed you more effectively see what obstacles you were inevitably going to crash into.

I think since GT3 onwards I've preferred the bumper view. I feel like I can judge the car sliding - and particular, the weight transfer - more easily from there. However, that's just personal preference, and it certainly isn't a noob thing. If my memory does me justice, I'm pretty certain Spurgy wasn't the only one at the UK GT Academy finals this year who was using it.

I've been driving on chase cam' since the game came out, which I note is nearly all your life span so to call people 'noobs' just because of their camera view preference is highly disrespectful. As others have stated, I actually enjoy the view of the car - I could quite easily ask what's the point of PD crafting those beautiful looking cars if you drive from the POV of a blank screen?! And also, as previously stated, I feel that I can respond to what the car is doing better as I can see the whole thing. And finally, bringing in the whole 'you don't drive like that in real life' argument is utterly pointless. This is a game and is meant to be played to a users preference and to gain enjoyment, not to be ridiculed and questioned by anyone just because they feel they are better than others.

Chase cam teaches you nothing about spacial awareness...therefor the whole "you don't drive like that in real life" argument is* the point.

Get as offended as you want, someone who uses blind spot indicators and chase cam to race isn't as impressive as someone who uses no blind spot indicators and cockpit view.

A game is just that....a game. However from a somewhat purist POV along with the notion of this game being a simulator, it only makes sense to be as realistic as possible rather than using any unrealistic accommodations that are made available to you.

Last edited:
Yeah, missing the point.:confused:
1st of all it's a game, argue what you want, you never get past the point it's a game.
real simulator? for €69 pre-order or €38,-- now?💡
These simulators are used to know the tracks, the real racing happens on the track.:)

2nd, i would need a big theater wide screen, a proper wheel, a seat the gives me the torque/speed/corner feeling to get some realism, but it still is not the real thing.:(

I real life, i feel the car in my whole body, i look down to the speedometer, it is not taking up 10 or 20% of my view.
I can turn my head in real life and see what's around, Cockpitview in GT6? try to look a bit to the side, in GT6 it's 90 degrees.
If i turn my head, my eyes keep seeing the road, it's not focussed, but i see it.
If i would be in a real racecar? my head would shake in every corner and with every gear change, doesn't happen in the game.
When i press brake, the screen goes down to simulate that the front of the car dives down.
in real life you feel it and your head/face/eyes adjust to the most view of the road.

Missing the point? Get in a real race car then you really race.Then you feel the car and most important, the adrenaline.:scared:
It is a game.

Yeah, missing the point you are. Not only that, but you pointlessly broke down the obvious to make what you're saying sound more relevant.

Obviously all that fancy-ness would make for a legit simulator but this is a video game with sim-like intentions so IMO I think it's more impressive to be used as such...I'm not trying to talk myself up either I use bumper cam primarily which clearly isn't realistic but chase cam feels so much more detached, it's like you aren't even driving, just controlling an RC car.

Maybe I should clarify, but I'm referring to those who use this game competitively, rather than those who just want to have fun.

Yep, but I'm such a noob. :P

Seriously though...such a noob. ;)

Last edited:
Is it for noobs? No. I can't use it without crashing. My friend can. Should I force him to use interior view like me so I win every time? It's simple preference. All views have advantages and disadvantages.

Yeah, missing the point you are. Not only that, but you pointlessly broke down the obvious to make what you're saying sound more relevant.
I did? maybe i did.:cheers:
Next quote you did the same?;)

I'm not trying to talk myself up either I use bumper cam primarily which clearly isn't realistic but chase cam feels so much more detached, it's like you aren't even driving
Bumpercam is you attached to the bumper or the hood with a rope.:nervous:
Or with your words, driving a rc with a procam on it?:scared:
It's like you aren't even driving but watch a cam on front of the car.;)

Maybe I should clarify, but I'm referring to those who use this game competitively, rather than those who just want to have fun.
So is it a problem that those competitively drivers use chase-cam?:confused:

Seriously though...such a noob. ;)
Yep, just like the noobs who use bumper-cam.;)
If you use "noob" then drive cockpit.:cheers:

\edit, forgot the smiley's

Last edited:
A game is just that....a game. However from a somewhat purist POV along with the notion of this game being a simulator, it only makes sense to be as realistic as possible rather than using any unrealistic accommodations that are made available to you.
This is why I avoid cockpit view and use chase. Cockpit view is horribly unrealistic in that the only thing it can reasonably simulate is a driver with blinders on. The only realistic detail about is that you see inside the car, which is nice, and for cars with many viewing obstructions, a good touch. Ultimately though it's not like driving in reality.

I use chase cam due to the fact that most racing games use it as standard and I have become use to it. :)

I did? maybe i did.:cheers:
Next quote you did the same?;)

Bumpercam is you attached to the bumper or the hood with a rope.:nervous:
Or with your words, driving a rc with a procam on it?:scared:
It's like you aren't even driving but watch a cam on front of the car.;)

So is it a problem that those competitively drivers use chase-cam?:confused:

Yep, just like the noobs who use bumper-cam.;)
If you use "noob" then drive cockpit.:cheers:

\edit, forgot the smiley's

:lol: :lol: :lol:

...You can't be serious. Are you aware that there's a difference between feel and perspective? Maybe you should learn the importance of reading comprehension, as well.

I'd rather watch a competitively driver use cockpit view rather than chase cam. Those darn competitively drivers...

Oh, and incase you didn't notice, (not surprised) my comment to spurgy was sarcasm, hence the wink.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

...You can't be serious. Are you aware that there's a difference between feel and perspective? Maybe you should learn the importance of reading comprehension, as well.

I'd rather watch a competitively driver use cockpit view rather than chase cam. Those darn competitively drivers...

Oh, and incase you didn't notice, (not surprised) my comment to spurgy was sarcasm, hence the wink.
Why are you farting higher than one ass and being so aggressive ?

Because what he's saying is stupid. :lol:
Just because someone's opinion is different than yours doesn't mean it's stupid.
Humans are different. Our brains can construct differently, it's one of the things that makes us an amazing and dominant race. Because of it, we can have different preference of choice when it comes to decision time. Is there really anything so horribly wrong with that that it causes you to become so aggressive towards another person's simple opinion?

Oh and why would you make a thread asking for other people's replies, only to rebut them? :odd:

Just because someone's opinion is different than yours doesn't mean it's stupid.
Humans are different. Our brains can construct differently, it's one of the things that makes us an amazing and dominant race. Because of it, we can have different preference of choice when it comes to decision time. Is there really anything so horribly wrong with that that it causes you to become so aggressive towards another person's simple opinion?

Oh and why would you make a thread asking for other people's replies, only to rebut them? :odd:

I suspect someone is being beat by drivers running in chase cam and doesn't like it much.

I suspect someone is being beat by drivers running in chase cam and doesn't like it much.
What? No. I'd be fine with being beaten by chase-cam users anyway. It just means they're a better driver than me, and that isn't very difficult to achieve :P

Plus, I was replying to @Inconspicuous and his acidic comments.

What? No. I'd be fine with being beaten by chase-cam users anyway. It just means they're a better driver than me, and that isn't very difficult to achieve :P

Plus, I was replying to @Inconspicuous and his acidic comments.

And I was giving you what I suspect is the reason for his acidic comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back