Do you think Sport owners should have the option to import their garage?

• Thread starter Magog
  • 304 comments
You need an acquisition curve of some kind to keep the game fresh. Importing everything would be a false economy.

You need a progression curve. But it doesn't have to be based around ownership of cars. Personally I think they'd do better letting people build their garages over decades and tie each game's progression to something other than "do you have this expensive car yet?"

I mean, if we're looking at this as a caRPG, traditional RPG games don't usually use equipment as their primary method of gating content. That would be what experience systems were invented for. Equipment usually only comes into it at end game. I don't see why Gran Turismo as a caRPG couldn't do the same, have an experience system up until end game, at which point everyone has had at least some opportunity to buy the expensive cars that they want anyway so giving veteran players a head start isn't exactly breaking anything.

Gran Turismo can also implement restrictions to stop people running overpowered cars in low level events. You can see this again in RPG systems with how FFXIV handles high level characters re-running low level content. They keep their normal gear, but it's scaled to an appropriate level. GT7 could do this, or it could just do the normal method of having entry restrictions on events. A garage full of cars is no help to you if you can't use most of them.

I feel like you're awfully invested in the grinding aspect of the game, that "progression" to you means time invested. That need not be the case, and while there are some benefits to systems that make sure that the player can always win as long as they put enough time in, that's a pretty outdated style of game design. Most games these days, even RPGs, will include at least some content that is skill gated for the people that like that sort of thing.

Yes, allow it as an option. I myself as someone who's done fair share of grinding am ok with people having the choice to play the game as it suits their lifestyle.

Also, it's sad that this even has to be said even in 2020 but for gods sake, some of you guys need to stop trying to force people to play the game like you want. Doesn't matter how much you like starting over, you don't represent PD nor the people at large and not everyone has the free time to play like they used to (as I can attest to, both as someone who for a while had to dial it back after suffering Psoriatic Arthritis AND being in college) so the person who spends their $59.99 on a game should be allowed to play to as they see fit, not as some faceless tryhard they don't know demands them to.

Last edited:
You need a progression curve. But it doesn't have to be based around ownership of cars. Personally I think they'd do better letting people build their garages over decades and tie each game's progression to something other than "do you have this expensive car yet?"

I mean, if we're looking at this as a caRPG, traditional RPG games don't usually use equipment as their primary method of gating content. That would be what experience systems were invented for. Equipment usually only comes into it at end game. I don't see why Gran Turismo as a caRPG couldn't do the same, have an experience system up until end game, at which point everyone has had at least some opportunity to buy the expensive cars that they want anyway so giving veteran players a head start isn't exactly breaking anything.

Gran Turismo can also implement restrictions to stop people running overpowered cars in low level events. You can see this again in RPG systems with how FFXIV handles high level characters re-running low level content. They keep their normal gear, but it's scaled to an appropriate level. GT7 could do this, or it could just do the normal method of having entry restrictions on events. A garage full of cars is no help to you if you can't use most of them.

I feel like you're awfully invested in the grinding aspect of the game, that "progression" to you means time invested. That need not be the case, and while there are some benefits to systems that make sure that the player can always win as long as they put enough time in, that's a pretty outdated style of game design. Most games these days, even RPGs, will include at least some content that is skill gated for the people that like that sort of thing.

If you read my post I suggest less grinding for cars more grinding to upgrade ;-) there needs to be a motivation to play a game... would be sweet to upgrade road cars to race cars or rust buckets to high end restorations... A good option would be to have none upgradeable cars in sport mode and arcade mode to keep things fair but with no grind required, whilst those folks who invest time in career can take their cars to higher levels and customisation's (which would be out of balance in sport mode anyway, why upgrade to have BOP remove the buffs?)

Also, if this is like the past games, we are given cars after completeing races anyway. So, If I already have a Gr.3 RCZ and I do a rally event and win a Gr.3 RCZ, then, I have an extra Gr.3 RCZ. I don't think such an "option" will taint the gameplay for those that DO or DON'T CHOOSE the "option".

I'd love a choose or dont choose option on the gift cars lol sick of deleting them...

Oh, definitely that DWG option. I do nthink the daily login bonus will return. If we egt prize cars, the DWG is redundant. A more beneficial login bonus, to spend on tuning, would be more favorable in my opinion.

I’d personally want it like GT4, but instead of getting 100k credits right off the bat, let us choose like 5 cars we want to import. I still believe in the “start from hardly anything,” but this at least would be fair to those that don’t want to, while still not changing the formula that has been most GT games.

Not sure if all the garage (we don't even know if all the cars from sport will be on GT7) but something like one car per category (N100 to Gr.1) would be OK

I've grinded and bought every single car from GT5P to GTS and I'm not relishing the prospect of repeating the process yet again for GT7, so yes I'd like an import function. Back in the PS1-PS2 days without online it's understandable why you can't carryover progress, but from PS3 onwards it's a bit dumb not to. Especially with GTS now that your online profile is pretty much tied to your sporting history (I suspect DR/SR will also carryover otherwise it would be ridiculous to expect the aliens to climb the ranks again by racing against DR E people). Of course, there are people who like the rags to riches process so you should also have a choice NOT to import, if you wish.

Possibly unpopular opinion, but I would like all cars to be unlocked in arcade mode, and "loaned" cars in sport mode if you haven't bought it (naturally they can't be customized in performance/livery). People who like to buy cars and go through the traditional GT Mode can still do it, but those who don't have the time can also still enjoy driving all the cars and participate in sport mode.

Possibly unpopular opinion, but I would like all cars to be unlocked in arcade mode, and "loaned" cars in sport mode if you haven't bought it (naturally they can't be customized in performance/livery).

I always had a similar opinion to this. My solution would be to have a GT-Mode and an Arcade/Online garage.
So once you've unlocked a car in GT Mode you can use it in Arcade or Online. Additional there's one car from each category (N100-N1000, GR.3, GR.1 etc.) available from the beginning in Arcade/Online. So you can enter every race online even if you have no time to play offline the first days.
Importing the garage from GT Sport could only affect Online/Arcade, so you can drive all your GT Sport cars from the beginning but you can still start from scratch in GT Mode and enjoy your way from a Miata to the Le Mans Prototypes.
I think jumping all of this and destroy the AI in Sunday Cup with an Red Bull or Tomahawk would kill my motivation to do GT Mode.
It´s the same reason why I did almost no races in "GT Mode" of GT Sport apart from grinding around Blue Moon or Le Mans.
This system would also help to implement oil usage and losing power over the time again, without making this a mandatory thing online like we had in GT5, where players did 10.000 km on a car just to make it fit into a lower PP category.

It was silly of PD to offer loan cars in Arcade. We only get one N100, three N200(two should be replaced with an N300 & N600), one N400, one Gr.4, one Gr.3 and one Gr.B. Not even a Gr.1 car to use for "free".

Loan cars should be available through any mode. Just make Cr./ME/Level earnings half.

I always had a similar opinion to this. My solution would be to have a GT-Mode and an Arcade/Online garage.
So once you've unlocked a car in GT Mode you can use it in Arcade or Online. Additional there's one car from each category (N100-N1000, GR.3, GR.1 etc.) available from the beginning in Arcade/Online. So you can enter every race online even if you have no time to play offline the first days.
Importing the garage from GT Sport could only affect Online/Arcade, so you can drive all your GT Sport cars from the beginning but you can still start from scratch in GT Mode and enjoy your way from a Miata to the Le Mans Prototypes.
I think jumping all of this and destroy the AI in Sunday Cup with an Red Bull or Tomahawk would kill my motivation to do GT Mode.
It´s the same reason why I did almost no races in "GT Mode" of GT Sport apart from grinding around Blue Moon or Le Mans.
This system would also help to implement oil usage and losing power over the time again, without making this a mandatory thing online like we had in GT5, where players did 10.000 km on a car just to make it fit into a lower PP category.

I don't think importing cars would destroy GT Mode, if PD implements proper car restrictions in these races. Sunday Cup has always been a "run what you brung" kind of race, so that's why it never has any restrictions in older games (not that you usually have much choice at that stage of the game). And let's face it, even with restrictions the AI is still way too easy anyway. If people wants to destroy econoboxes with their Tomahawks, that's fine by me. I think old GT players like you and me know to limit ourselves even without limitations anyway ;)

I have been losing interest in GT Mode since GT6, but that's just because it feels like mostly the same set of races we've seen over and over since GT1. The catch the rabbit AI and their general apathy once you got the lead was also getting stale. I dunno, maybe PD can do something revolutionary and have an option to do the career mode races online with REAL human drivers? Basically a constant set of daily races if you will. Of course, the rewards would also be higher because of the higher difficulty.

I'm not a fan of the losing power mechanic in GT5/6. It made me afraid to drive the more expensive cars, let it loses power and then I have to grind to buy a new one. Leave that stuff to real life and let us actually drive in game!

No. New game means fresh start.
But why though? Why force people to have to grind out to get their GTS cars back when allow the option would hardly ruin the experience for you personally.

I can't get this mentality of forcing people to play the way you play.

But why though? Why force people to have to grind out to get their GTS cars back when allow the option would hardly ruin the experience for you personally.

I can't get this mentality of forcing people to play the way you play.
No one is forcing people how to play the game, because it is a new game unless you have paid DLC.

It’s more important for creators to be able to important liveries and decals. Maybe even scapes photos.

While I can see the appeal of importing your garage. It has the potential to be game breaking for The CaRPG part of the game.

No one is forcing people how to play the game, because it is a new game unless you have paid DLC.

No one is forcing people, apart from where you say that the only way to play a new game is to start from scratch? Right. That's not dictating how people play at all. That's encouraging people to see the wide breadth of ways that they can play the game as long as what they choose is exactly what you specify.

If you want credits real quick, just do the reversing glitch or just sit the car like in this picture below for about 14 seconds and you win the race.
This is no cheating because it is in the game.

"It's not cheating, because I got mine."

Still find it fascinating that people are insisting there is some sort of sanctity in forcing people to start from scratch in a series with pay-to-win style microtransactions; and which before that had entries which touted the ability to transfer cars from the previous game as a selling point (even if they lied about it on occasion).

It’s more important for creators to be able to important liveries and decals. Maybe even scapes photos.

While I can see the appeal of importing your garage. It has the potential to be game breaking for The CaRPG part of the game.
I know this debate can potentially go around in an infinite circle, but how? How can an option to choose, damage the CaRPG? I'm typing with a clam pulse and not singling you out aggressively. An option, can not harm the way a single player plays the game, the way they want to play.

EVeryone in column "No", denies the freedom of a potential option. Everyone in column "Yes", leaves it open for anyone to choose whether to excercise the option or not. Members responding with No, will no doubt, not choose to import their GTS garage. Fair enough. It doesn't effect any single player.
Players that choose to import their GTS garage, their choice does not effect any single player.

The same way a player chooses to pre-order. It's an option to have access to early and/or extra content. It does not effect any single player, if some choose to buy a pre-order or buy day of release. May as well say 'No' to any content in a pre-order. Do away with content available with pre-orders. Everyone start fresh.

My personal opinion would be to start fresh, as this will be my first gt where i started with a wheel. (Mine's coming in thursday!) (Its always fun to start over anyway.) As far as other people go, it would be nice to start on the same footing, but it probably wouldn't take too long to get some more competitive cars, so whatever.

I'm sure some people will want the "thrill" of starting fresh but those of us with limited time should have the option to import our garage IMO. I'm about 99% sure every Sport car will make the roster for 7.

Ah, it's interesting that once again some people say they need progression/car unlocking to make the career mode worthwhile.

Aren't you just admitting that the racing bit as it is now isn't fun?
I stopped playing Assetto Corsa after a few weeks because there was no point in the career mode - the same with pcars.

The car unlocking (or rather money earning) is what gives you a reason why you should do career races.

I for one wouldn't import my gt sport cars if possible but would rather start from zero.

And if they gave it as an option, both parties would be happy. ;) :)

As happy as anyone on a GT forum can be any length of time anyway. ;) :lol:
Yeah for sure, wouldn't mind if the option would exist for those who want to use it.

Back