Does heel&toe improve your lap time?

• Thread starter Roger Wang
  • 9 comments
China
China
And if so, how much? My wheel has only two peddles, does that mean I should stick with cars with automatic transmission or double clutch?

And if so, how much? My wheel has only two peddles, does that mean I should stick with cars with automatic transmission or double clutch?
In GTS we have no idea as the clutch wasn't functional in the beta.

GT's clutch implementation has never been that good, but as you've only got 2 pedals, I'm sure why you're asking.

Use the paddles behind the wheel to change gear, (GT works out the clutch part) and use your right foot on the throttle and your left on the brake. Heel and toe is only of use if you have a clutch pedal.

Intuititively it would make sense that simply pushing a button to change gears will always be faster than having to coordinate your feet and hands each time you shift gears, all else the same. However, some games program a small delay for the paddle shifters when using cars equipped with a H shifter in an attempt to equalize the shifting times of the two methods to negate any possible advantage gained from using paddles in an H shifting car. Whether GTS does this remains to be seen.

In previous GT's even with heel and toe I could be guaranteed a failed gear change at some point over a few laps resulting in lost time.

Having said that, it's quite a satisfying thing to do in real life and it would be the same in GT if properly implemented, but imho it was flawed and required too precise an action with none of the "feel" that a real car has. This results in the failed gear changes.

In GT5 and GT6 it has pretty much negative effect on changing gear, simply because the game doesn't allow you to change gears under throttle (afaik). This is the thing I hated most on driving with clutch, you need to revmatch and u can't, rather u get your wheels locked and end up in grass.

In GTS we have no idea as the clutch wasn't functional in the beta.

The clutch *was* functional in the beta. Used it with the N300 class. Once PD fixed the 3rd gear issue the clutch wasn't anything to get excited about and doesn't seem to be high on their priority list. PCars and DR/D4 have better clutch feel by far.

The clutch *was* functional in the beta. Used it with the N300 class. Once PD fixed the 3rd gear issue the clutch wasn't anything to get excited about and doesn't seem to be high on their priority list. PCars and DR/D4 have better clutch feel by far.
Not with my rig it wasn't, T300 with a set of T3PAs and a TS8A.

In previous GT's even with heel and toe I could be guaranteed a failed gear change at some point over a few laps resulting in lost time.

Having said that, it's quite a satisfying thing to do in real life and it would be the same in GT if properly implemented, but imho it was flawed and required too precise an action with none of the "feel" that a real car has. This results in the failed gear changes.
It is very enjoyable in games where the clutch is properly implemented as well. I use H&T in various sims in all the cars that natively require it. GT's previous versions of clutch implementation were a joke quite frankly, more of an afterthought than anything else.

Back