Don't screw this up Turn 10!

• Thread starter CnPx
  • 279 comments
Everyone requests Motegi and Tsukuba, but no one seems to request SUGO or Okayama... I dunno if it's just because people don't know about them or if I'm weird for preferring both of them by miles over Motegi and Tsukuba. Tsukuba I never found much fun, and Motegi I always thought was boring other than the 2 corners after the first tunnel... other than those 2, it's just straight into low speed corner into straight into low speed corner over and over.

Fuji would be okay if we have a good drafting model, but otherwise I could do without it.

I think it would be cool to see some other Asian tracks too though, maybe Inje Speedium in South Korea and Zhejiang in China. I think both would be fairly visually pleasing, particularly at night, and both have alternate layouts so it kinda inflates their track numbers along with providing us some variety. They also aren't really in other games, so they would be unique additions.

Everyone requests Motegi and Tsukuba, but no one seems to request SUGO or Okayama... I dunno if it's just because people don't know about them or if I'm weird for preferring both of them by miles over Motegi and Tsukuba. Tsukuba I never found much fun, and Motegi I always thought was boring other than the 2 corners after the first tunnel... other than those 2, it's just straight into low speed corner into straight into low speed corner over and over.

Fuji would be okay if we have a good drafting model, but otherwise I could do without it.

I think it would be cool to see some other Asian tracks too though, maybe Inje Speedium in South Korea and Zhejiang in China. I think both would be fairly visually pleasing, particularly at night, and both have alternate layouts so it kinda inflates their track numbers along with providing us some variety. They also aren't really in other games, so they would be unique additions.
What I liked about Twin Ring Motegi was the number of different layouts it included which is really good for keeping things fresh.

Personally, I think the main reason why you see these tracks requested a lot is because of nostalgia for Forza Motorsport 4. But you are right, there a many more great Japanese tracks. Also worth mentioning is Autopolis and @Ak1504 beat me to that :)

For me, what is important with track selection is how it fits within existing racing series. For example, I would love Fuji and Bahrain as that would complete the FIA WEC calendar (assuming Le Mans, Monza and Sebring return).

And for the same reason, I want Mid-Ohio, Detroit Belle Isle and Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (Mosport) to complete the 2022 IMSA SportsCar Championship calendar. That would really allow for a more racing season-based career mode.

Zhejiang is included in Grid and Grid Legends (and it's a really good track).

I love driving Sugo in Project Cars 2.

Nostalga, because Tskuba is an absolute bore. Glorified go cart track.
It's fun for time trials and not much else, yeah.

Speaking of great tracks of Japan, one thing that saddens me about laser-scanned circuits being the standard now is that it makes devs a lot less likely to create reproductions of now-defunct tracks -- in short, no classic Fuji with the banking. Yes, it was a deathtrap in real life, but this is a video game, let people see if they can handle it in a Nissan R382.

What I liked about Twin Ring Motegi was the number of different layouts it included which is really good for keeping things fresh.

Personally, I think the main reason why you see these tracks requested a lot is because of nostalgia for Forza Motorsport 4. But you are right, there a many more great Japanese tracks. Also worth mentioning is Autopolis and @Ak1504 beat me to that :)

For me, what is important with track selection is how it fits within existing racing series. For example, I would love Fuji and Bahrain as that would complete the FIA WEC calendar (assuming Le Mans, Monza and Sebring return).

And for the same reason, I want Mid-Ohio, Detroit Belle Isle and Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (Mosport) to complete the 2022 IMSA SportsCar Championship calendar. That would really allow for a more racing season-based career mode.
I get what you are saying about wanting tracks that real series run at, but for me it's more important to have interesting tracks that I actually enjoy driving... Many series nowadays go to bland tracks and there are real hidden gems out there that get basically no attention.

I see this a lot in sim-ish racing stuff... It is fun to replicate real series sure, but I've done that lots and nowadays I find it more fun to create things with a bit of fantasy. For example, sure Paul Ricard is used for GT3 and TCR and so on... But it's not a terribly exciting race most of the time in real life and isn't anything special to drive, it would be way more interesting to me and excite me way more if I got to see what the cars are like at Dijon or Charade or something.

Video games aren't restricted by travel costs, local government politics, sponsor clashes, funding issues, shady places paying big money for prestige, track grade levels and so on... Which gives us a chance to "fix" some of the problems with current series and go to tracks that are actually interesting with the cool cars racing around the world.
Zhejiang is included in Grid and Grid Legends (and it's a really good track).
And RaceRoom too :)
I more meant that they aren't often found in other games rather than they aren't at all... That's what I get for posting late instead of sleeping.

Haven't tried Grid/Grid Legends but now it inspires me a bit more to give it a try.

RaceRoom has a great track selection with some tracks not often found in other titles, looking forward to giving it a try when I get a PC. Knutstorp is another one they have that I want.

Nostalga, because Tskuba is an absolute bore. Glorified go cart track.
Yeah I never "got" it really... I didn't hate it but I never found myself having an especially good race there, and no sequence of corners I found particularly fun or satisfying. Forza desperately needs some good short tracks in my opinion, but I've never considered Tsukuba one of them.

As it sits now we basically only have Lime Rock for a good short track... unless I'm forgetting one since it's very late/early here. We have some shorter versions of long tracks, but with the exception of Silverstone National and Hockenheim short, most of the others I find to be just kinda disappointing versions that make me wish I was driving the full track even when I'm in a slow car.

I'd probably put Knockhill at the top of my list for short tracks I'd like to see added. Exciting to drive, surprisingly good for racing, and is one of the few tracks in the world that is actually raced in reverse (granted by mostly club series), so that could be unique.

If there's anything that getting into the GTR2/Assetto Corsa mod scenes has taught me, it's that there are far, far more amazing, weird, out-of-the-way circuits that most AAA games will never even acknowledge. Maybe one of these days someone at Turn10 will go "hey, you ever hear about this track in Finland, Ahvenisto? It's only FIA Grade 4 but it's got some wild elevation changes," but in the meantime I'm still waiting for Zandvoort to show up.

Is it ? I've got the game, just need to play it :)
You know those barriers PC2 has at Brittens and Hislops and Knickerbrook? They're not there in ACC. Now Oulton Park, Donnington, and Snetterton are only in the British GP DLC pack.

You know those barriers PC2 has at Brittens and Hislops and Knickerbrook? They're not there in ACC. Now Oulton Park, Donnington, and Snetterton are only in the British GP DLC pack.
Well that's cool! I have the game and all the DLC on Xbox but then got the base game as part of an awesome deal on Humble for the PC a few months ago. I will have to buy all the DLC again as I'm not playing it on Xbox now I've got it on PC :)

If there's anything that getting into the GTR2/Assetto Corsa mod scenes has taught me, it's that there are far, far more amazing, weird, out-of-the-way circuits that most AAA games will never even acknowledge. Maybe one of these days someone at Turn10 will go "hey, you ever hear about this track in Finland, Ahvenisto? It's only FIA Grade 4 but it's got some wild elevation changes," but in the meantime I'm still waiting for Zandvoort to show up.
I created that track in gt6 with the modded track editor, including the tunnel crossover.

Found a video recording by someone on my track

Last edited:
I get what you are saying about wanting tracks that real series run at, but for me it's more important to have interesting tracks that I actually enjoy driving... Many series nowadays go to bland tracks and there are real hidden gems out there that get basically no attention.

I see this a lot in sim-ish racing stuff... It is fun to replicate real series sure, but I've done that lots and nowadays I find it more fun to create things with a bit of fantasy. For example, sure Paul Ricard is used for GT3 and TCR and so on... But it's not a terribly exciting race most of the time in real life and isn't anything special to drive, it would be way more interesting to me and excite me way more if I got to see what the cars are like at Dijon or Charade or something.

Video games aren't restricted by travel costs, local government politics, sponsor clashes, funding issues, shady places paying big money for prestige, track grade levels and so on... Which gives us a chance to "fix" some of the problems with current series and go to tracks that are actually interesting with the cool cars racing around the world.

I more meant that they aren't often found in other games rather than they aren't at all... That's what I get for posting late instead of sleeping.

Haven't tried Grid/Grid Legends but now it inspires me a bit more to give it a try.

RaceRoom has a great track selection with some tracks not often found in other titles, looking forward to giving it a try when I get a PC. Knutstorp is another one they have that I want.

Yeah I never "got" it really... I didn't hate it but I never found myself having an especially good race there, and no sequence of corners I found particularly fun or satisfying. Forza desperately needs some good short tracks in my opinion, but I've never considered Tsukuba one of them.

As it sits now we basically only have Lime Rock for a good short track... unless I'm forgetting one since it's very late/early here. We have some shorter versions of long tracks, but with the exception of Silverstone National and Hockenheim short, most of the others I find to be just kinda disappointing versions that make me wish I was driving the full track even when I'm in a slow car.

I'd probably put Knockhill at the top of my list for short tracks I'd like to see added. Exciting to drive, surprisingly good for racing, and is one of the few tracks in the world that is actually raced in reverse (granted by mostly club series), so that could be unique.
I really want to see Pacific Raceways in a game. Such a cool flowing little track with scenery you don't often see around a race track, particularly in the USA.

Might be in a minority but I would love to see the long version of Rally Di Positano make a come back.

I was super excited about the inclusion of this area when that game was being marketed (I had recently drove around that part of Italy at that time) but I never really liked how they portrayed in the game. GT4's Costa Di Amalfi was a better rendition I think, though with the caveat that it wasn't really for racing.

I think I've figured out why Forza's ray tracing, and reflections in general, look so wrong to me. They don't reflect according to the color of the car properly.

Take this screenshot from the trailer for example.
1655372243043.png

This car is black. The Ferrari and the environment around it should not be so bright in the reflection. The property that makes something black specifically is the lack of light reflected. Forza, however, doesn't handle this correctly. The Ferrari stays a very vibrant red, its white circle barely darkened. This all causes everything to look disconnected, despite Chris Esaki's claim that it makes everything more connected.

Here's a good comparison from Gran Turismo 7, photo taken by @wowbaggerBR and originally posted here:
1655372490870.png

The blue car in the reflection is dark. Its white circle reduced to gray. The environment is darkened just as much. This is how reflections on a car should look. I understand there can be differences in car paint, and these two aren't going to be identical in reality. But Forza's screenshot is undoubtedly wrong.

I think this is a large part of what makes Gran Turismo 7's cars look so much better. The reflections make so much more sense.

This isn't exclusive to black cars either, but with ray tracing the problem is much clearer than ever. This is the best look we've had at ray tracing in Forza, so it's the best example I can use.

Unfortunately I don't expect to see this changed before release.

I think I've figured out why Forza's ray tracing, and reflections in general, look so wrong to me. They don't reflect according to the color of the car properly.

View attachment 1161498

This car is black. The Ferrari and the environment around it should not be so bright in the reflection. The property that makes something black specifically is the lack of light reflected. Forza, however, doesn't handle this correctly. The Ferrari stays a very vibrant red, its white circle barely darkened. This all causes everything to look disconnected, despite Chris Esaki's claim that it makes everything more connected.

Here's a good comparison from Gran Turismo 7, photo taken by @wowbaggerBR and originally posted here:
View attachment 1161499

The blue car in the reflection is dark. Its white circle reduced to gray. The environment is darkened just as much. This is how reflections on a car should look. I understand there can be differences in car paint, and these two aren't going to be identical in reality. But Forza's screenshot is undoubtedly wrong.

I think this is a large part of what makes Gran Turismo 7's cars look so much better. The reflections make so much more sense.

This isn't exclusive to black cars either, but with ray tracing the problem is much clearer than ever. This is the best look we've had at ray tracing in Forza, so it's the best example I can use.

I totally see what you mean. I personally think that it depends really on the paint type on the car.

1655377492409.png

Comparing FM to this GTR paint, it seems pretty accurate (although FM's reflection seems to be quarter res.)

View attachment 1161498

View attachment 1161499

That all depends on the lighting conditions and how shiny the car is.

The uncanny issue is that it is only bouncing the light so many times and there are missing reflections inside the actual reflection.

Last edited:

View attachment 1161498

View attachment 1161499

1655378563121.png

these conditions seem closer to the GT photo

Back