Dream Alliance Sidestories - Takanori's Unicorn

I need help for the duel:

One of you must have:

Denso Dunlop SARD SC430 - Fully tuned
Racing Hard tires

Duel is at Fuji Speedway F

PM me at PSN or here if you're available. Thanks in advance!

Page 7 - Incoming Challenge

Takanori finally manages to wake up. Noticing this, Makoto immediately calls for the doctors to check on him. After the checking, he was transferred to a regular room. There, he sleeps once again.

Tomoko: "Thank goodness, he finally made it."

Makoto: "I am so happy... but what's next? How will Takanori react on his twin's sudden disappearance? I don't know how to break this on him."

Takanori: "A.... A... Aniki..."

Makoto: "Takanori? Yes? What do you want?"

Takanori: "A... A... Aniki... where... is he?"

Tomoko: "Son.... well..."

Makoto: "He... just went out. You... want to talk to him?"

Takanori: "Yeah..."

Tomoko: "I don't want to break this... but..."

Makoto: "Okaasan..."

Tomoko: "It's better for him to know, either way. Takuma is missing."

Takanori: "What???"

As Takanori sits up, the pain from the slash suddenly acts up.

Takanori: "Ah!!!"

Makoto: "Just stay put and relax. You need to recover... don't worry, everyone is making an effort in finding for your twin."

Tomoko: "He felt so guilty about what he did to you. He ran away..."

Takanori: "Really? I have to see him!"

Makoto: "I guess you two need to have a talk. You're the only one that can talk to him."

Takanori: "What did his wife say?"

Tomoko: "Kokoro even asked the help of the police to find him. But we still have no leads. Even the airports and seaports are alerted."

Takanori: "I see... but I don't think we should go that far. Besides, he should not apologize. I'm not mad at him! I want to see how's he doing!"

Tomoko: "I'm sure there will be a time that he'll be ready to face you."

Takanori: "We lost each other once, and I don't want that to happen again. I love him so much... that I can't afford losing him."

Tomoko: "He loves you so much too... even though he would not admit it in front of you."

9314864426_355473bdf0_c.jpg

Nobuyuki: "This car rocks!"

9314864304_f6e2fcf0cc_c.jpg

Samui: "Wow, you're still at it? Hmmmm... good thing there's no traffic."

9314864266_4a009aaf3b_c.jpg

Nobuyuki: "Let's go to the hospital first. I want to find out if the operation is a success."

Samui: "Sure thing."

9312077391_5be8bb1cc9_c.jpg

The two arrive at the room. Kyoko happily hugs Nobuyuki.

Kyoko: "The operation is a success! Your father is sleeping, though... he needs a lot of rest."

Nobuyuki: "That's good to hear."

Kyoko: "Oh, someone came here a while ago. He also works with your father as a test driver for Lexus. He says that he wants to race you one day."

Nobuyuki: "Eh??? Who could that be?"

Suddenly, Nobuyuki's smartphone rings a tone alerting a new e-mail message. It reads as:

Sender: Akira Iida
Subject: Duel

Nobuyuki: "Hmmmm... it could be him. Heh, to think I attracted someone like him."

End of Page 7

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Takanori faced Kazunori Yamauchi, then Takuma had a duel with Takuma Sato. Next would be the duel of Nobuyuki and Akira Iida (possibly in a Bonus chapter; definitely won't happen in Chapter 3). I wonder who will be the real-life racer that will face Samui? :lol:

Page 8 - Monster

2 days later, Nobuyuki and Samui are at the Fuji Speedway for the duel against Yamamoto. They are waiting for him to arrive, and then they make preparations for the car.

Nobuyuki: "He should be true to his word. He will come."

Samui: "He actually expected the duel to take place in Suzuka."

Nobuyuki: "Suzuka is a very special place to me, and I don't want dishonorable people stepping in with their dirty shoes and feet.

Wherever you go, whoever you are, respect is the most important thing in the world."

Yamamoto arrives. He is setting up his SC430. He is surprised by the lack of audience.

Yamamoto: "Ehhh??? I thought this would be a grand duel. Oh well, gotta win this. Gotta rely myself on this too."

Nobuyuki: "We don't have a crew for this, either. So I think it should be fair. I know your background and the team you're affiliated to."

Yamamoto: "An IS-F? Why's that?"

Nobuyuki: "I shall show you what a "senile, old fool" can do. My father developed this car with pride."

Yamamoto: "I forgot... you are his first born son, eh? Doesn't matter... you and your family is history! Watch me conquer the Super GT, and I shall teach that old man a lesson."

Nobuyuki: "Enough talking. Let's get this started."

9321617328_ba20d87954_c.jpg

The light goes green, and the two Lexuses rocket away. The IS-F is at the lead.

9321617152_12c6b91265_c.jpg

Yamamoto: "A shadow always sticks behind ya. You can never let it go, hence I shall use it to pressure you..."

9321617062_f47fab166c_c.jpg

Nobuyuki: "Whoa... where is he? He's at my blind spots!"

9318825029_40ecb64cee_c.jpg

Yamamoto: "I'm here, dummy! Hah! You fell prey to my blind attack."

9318824955_f10d8f1925_c.jpg

9318824803_c7745f65a0_c.jpg

Nobuyuki: "He used my blind spots in order to sneak through. It's a normal overtaking technique, but it's hard to counter!"

Time: 7 am

9321618012_664cb41221_c.jpg

9321617860_88c2d31439_c.jpg

Sorry, everyone...

9321617802_b5858bfbcf_c.jpg

With the things that happened lately, I do need to have a space.... to think.

9321617688_9d0047e0c7_c.jpg

9318825659_86e81799aa_c.jpg

Takanori should not look at the eyes of a murderer. The eyes and the face of the person that almost took his life...

...and if he and the world judge me, then so be it. I was born and raised as a monster, so I guess I really am a monster that everyone hates.

But what kind of a person am I, if I leave all of them? They made me realize...

...that I'm not alone.

9318825495_0789d44b5d_c.jpg

For now, I shall not remove my helmet in public, even if chances are that I have to face Takanori. I cannot let him see a monster, and I am sorely ashamed to look at him. I'm sure everyone is worried about me.

When all the wounds have been healed, then maybe it's time to return.

Just give me some space... that's all what I'm needing right now.

End of Page 8

Last edited:
I've managed to catch up on the story following my vacation in Canada. Looking forward to the next page.

Page 9 - The Tap

9321885905_798324c657_c.jpg

While Samui is at the pit lane waiting for the two cars to pass by at the main straight, Akira Iida arrives.

Akira: "Hmmmm... finally, I found the race. I've been searching for it around the blogs."

Samui: "Um.... uh... excuse me? May I know who are you?"

Akira: "I am Akira Iida. Pkeased to meet you. I am a test driver for Lexus, Super GT racer, and a friend of Hiroyuki Hiramoto-san. So you are Nobuyuki-kun's teammate? Oh, please take time to visit my used car shop! I have three sports cars on sale, the Elise, Corvette C6, and Porsche Boxster S!"

Samui: "Pleased to meet you too. I am Nobuyuki-san's teammate, yes."

Akira: "You know, the SC430's bodykit will prove to be helpful at the technical section."

9321885699_39c663b55c_c.jpg

Akira: "Oh... there they are. You know, that long straight will make the IS-F shine."

Samui: "Why?"

9324677232_5efb47e40a_c.jpg

Akira: "Well, very simple. This is where the black magic of aerodynamics come into play."

9321885451_12847dc63b_c.jpg

Akira: "While the SC430's body is wide because of fenders and splitters and that giant wing help for cornering, they are a hindrance when it comes to high speed. They cause drag, which hampers top speed."

9324677064_c8b4de22c9_c.jpg

Akira: "The IS-F, on the other hand, is narrower, hence allowing smoother air flowing around it. It allows for a higher top speed."

9324676906_620d8f0500_c.jpg

Samui: "I see. I guess wind is also a crucial factor in racing. It all depends on how you put it to your advantage. The 2nd lap is starting."

9324676764_a6b509c603_c.jpg

Yamamoto: "He... tapped the rear!?"

Nobuyuki: "I won't be so friendly on you this time! I'll be a jerk! Get ready!"

9324676716_a6b509c603_c.jpg

Yamamoto: "Where is he? I am blocking him... yet I don't see his car."

9324676378_b39fa02e2f_c.jpg

Yamamoto: "What the!?"

Nobuyuki: "You also have to experience firsthand, what a blind attack looks like! Now, do you feel the same way I felt at the start? Let's see if you still hold on to your moniker, The Shadow."

Time: 8 am

9324676304_e3e9937e71_c.jpg

9324676152_4605dbb9ed_c.jpg

9324675926_fff5b2e9a6_c.jpg

9321884137_ee816aa0e9_c.jpg

Bystander: "Isn't that...?"

Bystander 2: "That's The Track Werewolf! It's back!!!"

End of Page 9

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- The Track Werewolf, which is the title for Chapter 4, is actually based from a racing manga titled The Circuit Wolf. The Circuit Wolf also featured a Lotus, albeit a Europa Special.

- While Akira Iida is introducing himself to Samui, you'll see a Best Motoring reference there.

Last edited:
Page 10 - The Star

shadow16_zpsc0880eaf.jpg

Yamamoto: "I'm not done yet! Let's see if you can find me..."

shadow17_zps51d5eece.jpg

Yamamoto: "Crap, he applied the brakes! Shoot! I lost control!"

Nobuyuki: "Let's see if you can find me with this one!"

shadow18_zps41b503b5.jpg

Yamamoto: "Damn... I can't see where I'm going!"

shadow19_zpsa966ccb0.jpg

Yamamoto: "He got away..."

shadow20_zps8e18f24f.jpg

Nobuyuki: "What's wrong? Where's your high spirits?"

shadow21_zps70a06228.jpg

shadow22_zpse7c67ec5.jpg

Samui: "He did it! He won!"

Akira: "I expected nothing less. Soon, he shall face "The Fastest Man in GT!", and I am waiting..."

The 2 cars head back to the pit lane. Yamamoto gets out of the car, obviously pissed.

Yamamoto: "How dare you! How could you use a cheap trick to beat me? Are you insulting me?"

Nobuyuki: "You take pleasure of insulting people. Now you realize how bad it really is, when it is done to you."

Yamamoto: "You..."

Nobuyuki: "Actually, I want to do this for a long time..."

Nobuyuki punches Yamamoto's left cheek.

Nobuyuki: "That's for insulting Little Nobu."

Then he punches the right cheek.

Nobuyuki: "That's for putting my father into the hospital."

Then finally, he punches the nose so hard that it started to bleed.

Nobuyuki: "That's for disgracing the Super GT. You don't deserve to enter the league. Your selfishness and arrogance will lead you to nowhere.

Let's go, Samui."

Samui and Nobuyuki enter the car and leave the track.

Samui: "Is it really necessary?"

Nobuyuki: "That felt really good, actually. Let's stop for coffee, shall we?"

With Takanori finally discharged and is advised to rest, he is just downloading the latest episode of Top Gear UK. While waiting for it to finish, he calls for Samui and Nobuyuki for a meeting, as well as inviting them to dinner.

When the two arrived, Takanori meets them at the living room.

Samui: "How are you now?"

Takanori: "Improving. But I shouldn't really move around too much as the wound would actually give me pain."

Nobuyuki: "Glad to hear it. Hey, any news on Takuma-san's whereabouts?"

Takanori: "We still haven't found him... But I guess he should be fine. I know him a lot..."

Takanori asks his wife to copy the torrent file to the USB and bring it downstairs. He plugs it to the giant HDTV and they watch Top Gear.

Nobuyuki: "Top Gear... Ambitious, but Rubbish."

While watching through the segments, they finally arrive at "Star In A Reasonably Priced Car" segment.

Jeremy Clarkson: "It's now time for the Star In A Reasonably Priced Car. Tonight is a very special one. We all thought he's dead, but he isn't and he is here right now. Ladies and Gentlemen, The Black Stig!"

Takanori: "Aniki!?"

Jeremy Clarkson: "As we all know, The Black Stig, just like any other Stig out there, needs a translator. And where is he?

How the hell can we understand what you're saying?"

Takuma: "I have learned your language, don't worry."

Jeremy Clarkson: "Ladies and Gentlemen, it seems he has eaten the translator. Well, moving on."

Takanori: "It's him! He's in UK!"

Samui: "And he hasn't removed his helmet."

Jeremy Clarkson: "How have you been doing after you survived?"

Takuma: "Well, I have continued on racing. Recently, I got a Lamborghini."

Jeremy Clarkson: "You have gotten bigger. You're eating the other Stigs, aren't you?"

Takuma: "Not really. Though I've almost killed The Attack Stig. I was so close to eating him until he got away."

Takanori: "Awwwwww.... he meant me. The very mean Takuma Kanonji... I miss him so much, you know?"

Jeremy Clarkson: "Such a very dangerous and cannibalistic guest we have... I suggest you call the police while I distract him.

The audience just laughs.

Jeremy Clarkson: Hmmmm... how do you think you can stack up against the other guests? Who would be your target?

Takuma: "Lewis Hamilton?"

Jeremy Clarkson: "I see. Now let us see your lap, shall we?"

9327051402_0e6a30b506_c.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson: "And he's off. We see a bit of front tires spinning there. Coming to the first corner."

9324256077_d13f2dc650_c.jpg

9327051384_55d9593f95_c.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson: "Very composed there. As we all know, he is The Stig."

9324255867_d6d3d5deeb_c.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson: "Around the Chicago. Looking good, and following the racing line there. He could beat Hamilton there, but let's see."

9327051046_1dba9290cb_c.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson: "Oooooh a bit of understeer at the Hammerhead. That might hurt the time."

9324255805_80f6dd080b_c.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson: "As we all know, he brought along a CD to play tunes in. And he's listening to Celine Dion. I don't know that he's a fan...

Through the Follow Through."

9327050868_f8182ec369_c.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson: "No anomalies to report there. Very glued to the road there."

9324255537_83e222c96e_c.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson: "Very fast through the tires! He almost hit the camera there."

9324255445_9e7d8de1a3_c.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson: "Second the last corner, looking very sharp there."

9327050526_f4dca4b6c8_c.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson: "Understeer again at the last corner, will that keep Lewis' time at the top?"

9327050312_2a601e0669_c.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson: "And across the line!

Now, are you suggesting that you are as fast as Lewis is?"

Takuma: "Well, hopefully..."

Jeremy Clarkson: You did it in 1 minute.... 38.7! The fastest guest we ever had!"

The audience gives a wild applause as the two shake hands.

Takanori: "Aniki... You will always be the fastest."

Takuma shows a thumbs up at the camera, then Takanori does the same.

Takanori: "I miss you... I wish we could join together once again."

Nobuyuki: "Well, we are going to Europe ASAP. You better rest here, and don't worry, we'll find Takuma-san for you."

Samui: "Leave it to us!"

Takanori: "Thank you guys. Well, I'm waiting for the time that I'll see him again. And I am in wide open arms to welcome him back..."

End of Chapter 3​

Some says that the Stig's favourite animal is a cross of a lion, a BAC Mono, and the Loch Ness Monster, which breathes out James' favorite pint.

On topic, excellent and can't wait.

Chapter 4
The Track Werewolf

Page 1 - The Hatch

Maybe you're wondering what I'm up to ever since that incident. I just need some space to breathe. I need to think what I've done... I am so weak... that my mind was controlled that easily, and then it turned out that I almost killed my most treasured brother... Takanori. I will never, ever forgive myself for that.

Here I am, in U.K. just sulking alone in Otousan's mansion. Hmmmmm... I gotta get out. How about I pay a visit to Jenny?

And so I did. As I enter her home in Norfolk, a Clio V6 welcomes me.

9328215982_ca1b8b48e2_c.jpg

Remember the Clio V6 I owned in Takuma Gaiden? Well, this is the one. When I brought it in UK, Jenny fell in love with it so much that I decided to give it to her on her birthday. It's currently registered under her name, and she repainted it in white. Though she is getting used to driving an LHD car in UK, which drives to the left and RHD cars are the norm.

Jenny: "Oh there you are. You miss her so much, don't you?"

Takuma: "Jenny..."

We hugged each other. Jenny is the first person that tapped into my soft side despite my overall tough demeanor. Even though she's my cousin, we're not related by blood. But she is already a sister figure to me.

Jenny: "Come in. I will make my special tea for you. Just like old times."

Takuma: "Thanks."

Jenny: "So what have you been doing lately?"

Takuma: "For now, I'm sulking alone in your Uncle Ben's mansion. I did something terribly wrong that even I can't forgive myself. I ran away from home, you know?"

Jenny: "Which is?"

Takuma: "I almost took the life of one of my most treasured persons in Earth... my twin brother."

Jenny: "Oh dear... why don't you just apologize?"

Takuma: "It's not as simple as you think it is. It's attempted murder."

Jenny: "And why?"

Takuma: "I was brainwashed. I was too weak to resist it. It's a long story why, but you know..."

Jenny: "You know, I could douse you with hot water right now. Wake up, crybaby!"

She also has this harshness. I do have to keep in my toes.

Jenny: "It's not your fault. I'm sure Takanori would forgive you. Why are you sulking? Why are you hiding? Oh for crying out loud. If Uncle Ben is alive, he'll definitely starve you for several dinners."

Takuma: "I wish he's alive, so that I am back in action."

Jenny: "I'm itching to drive the Clio again. I need your guidance."

Takuma: "Really?"

Jenny: "Pretty soon, I'll be able to surpass you. Ha!"

Takuma: "Okay then. I want to see you drive."

Jenny: "I just want to cheer you up, that's all. Now come."

So we headed to the racetrack nearby. That technical racetrack in which The Proteges used to practice in.

9325419121_982246b68e_c.jpg

9325418965_8e53d050f4_c.jpg

Takuma: "You are getting better."

Jenny: "The car's handling is just mesmerizing. It's lovely. It's sharp... and it just squirts out nicely."

Well, that's what the mid-engined Clio V6 is known for. Actually, Renault was already a pioneer in the mid-engined hatchback layout with the Renault 5 Turbo which is also the true first hot hatch.

Ahhhh.... the Hot Hatch. Europe provided the world with not just the Supercar, but also the Hot Hatch. The trend started in the 1970s, in which there was an oil crisis back then. Because fuel prices went up, Supercars were being frowned upon, and people opted to buy econoboxes. But car companies such as Renault and Volkswagen wanted to spice up their hatchbacks.

9325418665_129783e760_c.jpg

Takuma: "Okay, feather the throttle. Then bury it!"

9328213634_895b217a79_c.jpg

Jenny: "I'm really getting the hang of driving this car."

Hot Hatches are as fun to drive as Supercars, but are way more practical and cheaper. Renault first came up with the idea with the Renault 5 Turbo and Volkswagen revolutionized it with the Golf GTI in 1976 and made it a mainstream category. The Clio V6 is my favorite Hot Hatch, but it is questionable though, since practicality wasn't the car's strong point. Because of its mid-engined layout, you cannot sit your friends or children at the back nor you can't put your groceries at the boot at the front. The boot is shallow and tiny for your groceries or even suitcases.

9328213258_4157b5565c_c.jpg

Jenny: "Oh, will you be joining the Hot Hatch league in the mainland?"

Takuma: "I don't intend to, as I am preparing for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Plus, this Clio is overqualified for it. I don't want to poison the waters with this one. I don't want to have an unfair advantage like what I did in the past."

Jenny: "I see. Well, let's just have fun with this one. This thing is bonkers!"

9325416671_c8227a6888_c.jpg

Takuma: "Thanks, Jenny. You made my day..."

Time: 4 pm

9325416299_4bef95c3b1_c.jpg

"Boris Kirsch, don't ever think that I disappeared just like that. I haven't forgotten the baffling deed you've done."

9325416019_219e6989dc_c.jpg

"What you did to me was below the belt. If you want to prove something, then do it fairly. I believe that there is such thing as a dignified victory."

9325415511_72517ef658_c.jpg

9325414269_dded08f765_c.jpg

"I, Rob Hatch, shall show you the error of your ways. I'll make a spectacular return."

End of Page 1

Page 2 - Similarity

I slept over at Jenny's house last night. And after having some good breakfast, I decided to go back to the track to have a nice view of the cars performing runs. That track attracts a lot of racers, and is open everyday because of it. The owner of that small racetrack must be very happy.

Seeing many cars pass by, kinda makes me think of those racers. Do they really pursue being a professional, or just having fun?

Suddenly, I saw Ricky's Subaru BRZ soaring about.

9328834827_2d3baebd9e_c.jpg

The BRZ should feel at home at this technical track.

9331628374_f20eed8a9c_c.jpg

Unlike the Toyota 86, the BRZ is set up for precision cornering. It took me a while to determine the differences between those two cars.

9328834487_802e8e7c79_c.jpg

And don't expect it to rip up the road like a Lamborghini nor a Pagani.

9328834389_42fe003b2c_c.jpg

Oh well, it can drift anyway. Who says it can't? That's all thanks to me, I taught him how to slide the car.

9331627856_2ce9cdcdd1_c.jpg

It entered the pit lane and stopped right in front of me. With him is Nigel.

Ricky: "Oh there you are, chap. I guess I deserve a prize, as I am the first one who found you."

Takuma: "Ricky, it's you."

Ricky: "Thanks to Nigel, he managed to detect your smartphone's signal. You know, if you really want to go into hiding, you could have turned it off."

Takuma: "I'm not running away from the law, really. I need a breather."

Ricky: "Well, suit yourself. Everyone's worried."

Takuma: "So, have you enjoyed the 787B?"

Ricky: "I didn't know that you'll keep a proper singer in your house. I love every bit of it."

And then we noticed a bright red MINI Cooper S passing at the main straight.

9328834163_476fe4977e_c.jpg

Ricky: "Another MINI.... Great."

Takuma: "I wouldn't mind owning one. I have driven Takanori's Countryman and it's brilliant."

9328834083_dd88b58baa_c.jpg

MINIs are probably the best handling Front wheel drive cars in the world. Whether you own the classic or the modern one, the go-kart reflexes are assured from each one of them.

9328833917_1158d55bc9_c.jpg

Ricky: "That MINI is bonkers. Look at how it devours the corners."

Then it also enters the pit lane and parks right behind Ricky's BRZ. Getting out of the car is a man with a black hair and with a goatee. He looks like as old as Nobuyuki.

Rob: "Excuse me, where's the lavatory?"

Takuma: "At the left."

Rob: "Thanks."

Ricky: "He stopped for a wee, eh? He could have done so back home before he went here. Oh well..."

Nigel: "He looks familiar. Hmmmmm...."

Nigel's eyes turn blue as he will acquire some data.

Nigel: "Accessing FIA database. Facial recognition.... Face matches the data found.

Name: Rob Hatch
Races Accomplished: British Touring Car Championship, 2006 Champion

Takuma: "Sounds like he has potential."

Ricky: "2007? Hmmmm... something did happen to him that year."

Before we could talk history, Rob recognizes me as he came out from the building.

Rob: "Aren't you Takuma Kanonji?"

Takuma: "Yes."

Rob: "Good, I have something to ask. Do you know where Boris Kirsch is?"

Takuma: "Boris? I don't know where is he right now."

Rob: "Pointless question... But really, I do want to see him. I was hoping that through you, I could get to him."

Takuma: "I have already parted ways from him for a long time. So I have no idea how is he doing."

Rob: "Just to let you know, no one shall stop me in my plans. I shall get back what was taken from me."

Takuma: "Vengeance, you say?"

Rob: "Not entirely. He did something very baffling to me. And I shall take the racing world by storm."

Huh, that last sentence there is my line.

Rob: "You know, you and I could be kindred spirits. Let's talk sometime."

He returns to his car and continues his run.

Ricky: "Kindred spirits? How?"

Oh yeah... I can tell. His demeanor, how he says his words, and his plans of vengeance. Yeah, he is as bit as similar as me. Maybe he and I can have a drink together.

End of Page 2

It's these scenes of this chapter that makes me wonder when Takuma will meet again his teacher during the days in Ben's Proteges. :)

Page 3 - Stealing the Spotlight

I head back home in Otousan's mansion. I let Ricky and Nigel continue the preparations for the Le Mans. And I opened my email in the PC, and surprise surprise... Rob sent an email.

How about we meet at the coffee shop in Dunsfold tomorrow? You live in Dunsfold, right? Let's get to know each other, and furthermore, we could be working together in beating Boris.

Seriously, this is a bit creepy. But this could lead us to Boris. I want to meet that German too. And I heard that he's joining the Le Mans as well.

At the appointed time, the next day, I did see his MINI. He arrived a bit early.

And what a mean stance. It's not just a cute face that's the car's greatest asset, I'm sure a monster is lurking under the hood.

9335576456_7ba0af8cb0_c.jpg

I entered, and he is enjoying a nice slurp of his coffee. I ordered one too, and I joined him.

Rob: "Good morning."

Takuma: "Good morning. And out of all people, why choose me to hear out your plans? Is it because we share the same goal?"

Rob: "I'm sure you have a score to settle too."

Takuma: "I'm afraid it's the other way around. He and the rest of The Proteges want to beat me to teach me a lesson. But I am launching a preemptive strike of some sorts."

Rob: "The Hot Hatch league is comprised of Point A to Point B races. And I am sure that Boris would be participating tomorrow. The first race would be in Eiger, Switzerland."

Takuma: "Tomorrow? Then shouldn't you be in mainland Europe by now?"

Rob: "I am inviting you. We could be partners, since we share the same goal. And I can sense that we are kindred spirits."

Takuma: "I am reserving my duel with him at the Le Mans."

Rob: "I see. So I got no luck? At least I got to meet the student of the legendary Sir Ben McCarthy."

Takuma: "Oh okay. I will come with you. Let me go back home to pack my stuff for the trip. This could be worthwhile."

Okay, I'm hanging out with an ex-Touring Car driver whom I share the same goal with. But I'm sure he's not just a total stranger. He has a story to tell.

For the rest of the day, we traveled along the mainland on the way to Switzerland. I am just sleeping while he's driving along, until...

Rob: "We're in Switzerland."

Takuma: "Oh... okay. I reckon that we will stop by in a hotel?"

Rob: "Of course."

We checked in at a hotel which is nearby the race venue. After everything is set, we sat on our beds and Rob seems to be eager in getting to know me.

Rob: "How is it like being a Protege? Boris was your partner, right?"

Takuma: "It's like we're destroying the dreams of other racers. Winning is everything for us. And Sir Ben would actually encourage us to have rivalries among members so as to improve our skills. It had turned personal, and he favored me among all. I became perhaps the most selfish person in the world, with only my goals in my mind. I loathed my family back then, as I thought that they abandoned me. I was in that team to improve my racing skills and to show to my family that I am the best and I want to make them regret.

Boris was my partner, since Sir Ben favored him too. But we're not the best of friends, either. He would even say empty threats so that I can get scared of him. But really, I fear no one. I don't care if he's older, and I refuse to back down."

Rob: "Boris ruined my career. He did everything to take me out in the Touring Car racing. I know that he wants me, but he could have raced me instead. But what he did was truly below the belt. This Hot Hatch league is my stepping stone in clawing my way back to the top and teach Boris a lesson on how to play fairly."

Boris is the type of person that is willing to do everything to get what he wants. And this Rob guy, I think he's really dead set on his goal. Just like the old me...

Rob: "I was in a state of depression, but there was one person who was on my side to comfort me... my little brother."

So he had a little brother too.

Takuma: "A little brother, eh? I have a twin, which I open up to."

Rob: "We really are kindred spirits. Both of us are goal-oriented, and have our soft sides to our siblings."

Takuma: "My twin and I were separated at birth, and I was initially very mad at him, for I thought that he had all the love from my parents. Sir Ben was my adoptive father, and only recognized him as my true father. When I met my twin, I thought he will be hostile, but his warm, energetic persona broke my walls and he just welcomed me to the family. He made me realize...

...that I'm not alone."

Rob: "I was separated from my little brother too. But that's because my parents were divorced 10 years ago. He lived with his mother, while I lived with father until his death 2 years ago. I never had a close relationship with my mother, for she did not support me in everything I do because of my close ties with my father. Though my little brother and I are really close when Mom and Dad were still together, but there are times that we disagree on important things and now we rarely get to see each other.

We have a family business in London, which he runs along with my mother. It is a tea place."

Takuma: "My family runs a Mochi shop. Heh, I guess we really are kindred spirits. Brothers in arms, even."

Rob: "How I wish I could have lived with my brother. At least, we can talk more about things in life."

Takuma: "You'll enjoy having a little brother on your side always. I can guarantee that."

The next day, indeed it is a big day. The Hot Hatch league has officially started.

But... something unexpected came along.

Rob: "Bloody Hell! I cannot participate anymore???"

Organizer: "I'm sorry, but all the slots have been filled."

Rob: "Great, we traveled all the way from UK and we end up with nothing."

Takuma: "Oh dear. I guess this event is not meant for you, then. There are still a lot of opportunities in life."

Rob: "I've heard that Boris is joining this event. I cannot miss this chance!"

Organizer: "Oh, is there any chance that Dennis Hatch is your relative?"

Rob: "He's my little brother."

Organizer: "He will be racing for the event."

Rob: "Oh cock. That midget made it? Oh well, I gotta support. Let's just watch the damn thing anyway. Let's make this trip worthwhile."

The first round is a downhill event. I really feel for Rob. This is his only chance of getting to Boris.

9335474802_16e3fc9577_c.jpg

Rob: "See that Fiat 500 over there? That's Dennis."

Takuma: "I see."

The Fiat 500? Hmmmm.... it's the rival of the MINI Cooper. Heh, much like the rivalry of Takanori's R32 GT-R and my FD3S RX-7. Man, it's like the British version of the Kanonji Twins.

Rob: "He calls it The Giant Slayer. It did beat an Evo and an Impreza. His Fiat makes over 263 HP with engine upgrades and an addition of a turbocharger. 263 horsepower on a 1.2 liter engine is bonkers. That's even more than a 500 Abarth. Plus, it only weighs 863 kilos."

Whoa... that's a monster. But I couldn't help but think which is better. MINI or a Fiat 500?

9335474506_f738d65dab_c.jpg

Rob: "Let's meet him at the foot of the hill. I will give him a surprise."

9335473950_e109463569_c.jpg

9335473818_2e69918ab9_c.jpg

We arrived at the finish point. Dennis' Fiat 500 finished first. It really is a pocket rocket.

And... the two had a brotherly banter. Rob grabs Dennis' head and does the noogie. I miss those moments with Takanori... when can I do that again?

Rob: "I told ya not to steal my spotlight, little shrimp! I should be racing here!"

Shrimp? Ahahahahahahaha! Damn, the similarity does not end there!

Dennis: "Lemme go! Hey, how are you now, big brother?"

Rob: "Angry. That's because you stole my spot. I was even expecting you'll be driving your Caterham."

Dennis: "I have to be fair, of course! And we could do this together."

Rob: "Forget it. I have a much better partner than you. This is Takuma Kanonji, by the way."

Dennis: "Pleased to meet you. I am honored to meet Sir Ben's protege."

Takuma: "I gotta say, you remind me of my twin back home."

Watching those two talk is like viewing a mirror on how Takanori and I do things together.

End of Page 3

Last edited:
Page 4 - Hatch Shootout

So the Hatch brothers are similar to the Kanonji Twins. At least they are still close, despite the fact that they rarely see each other. Each minute I spend with them, reminds me of my moments with Takanori. I just wonder when can I do those again.

We stopped by at a coffee shop. And the two are already in an argument... just like how Takanori and I bicker.

Rob: "Your FIAT has a 1.2 liter engine, how the hell would it be bonkers fast in a straight line?"

Dennis: "My 500 weighs 100 kilograms less!"

Rob: "But it's not enough to compensate the 33 horsepower disadvantage from my MINI. And the MINI has more competition pedigree than your Luigi-esque 500 who has yet to see a real Ferrari."

Dennis: "I can assure you, it's a proper hot hatch for the event."

Rob: "Really? Hmmmm.... how about we settle this? We do a shootout in Italy. Monza Circuit. And... Takuma here will set a lap time from each of our cars. What do you say?"

Takuma: "Eh??? Me?"

Rob: "It's appropriate. We need a third-party opinion, and he must do it to avoid any biases. I win, Dennis will back out and I'll take place for the next round. If Dennis wins, then he shall move on at the next round with his car."

Dennis: "A deal it is!"

At 4:30 pm, we reached the Monza Circuit in Italy. The 2nd round shall be held at Tuscany, so at least it's somehow nearby.

Takuma: "I'll drive the FIAT 500 first."

I don my race suit, gloves, and helmet. And I'm in the car. All set.

Dennis: "Some say he presided the marriage between a cat and a dog."

Rob: "And he can understand the language of the Blue Whale. All we know is... he's called The Black Stig."

9342684142_b0595172c1_c.jpg

Okay, time for the lap. Hmmmm... this has 263 horsepower, right?

9342684080_de971162a0_c.jpg

Oh... it's such a playful little thing at the corners. Sharp steering is another plus point.

9339897073_6848518d55_c.jpg

And I am getting good mid-range boost as I accelerate out of the corners.

9339896807_b8d1aee780_c.jpg

Once I get into 4th gear, it's like the engine is struggling to extract more speed. The turbo is forcing it, but the engine seems that it can't make more power. So this is the demerit of a tiny 1.2 liter engine... The gears are even closely spaced.

9342683398_59ffb963ed_c.jpg

It plays nicely at the chicane there, and once again I get rocket-like acceleration out of the corners.

9342683280_57850612b7_c.jpg

I managed to set a 2:09 lap time. Hmmmm... can the MINI beat it?

Dennis: "2:09? I hope the MINI screws up."

Rob: "Unlikely."

I am now driving Rob's MINI Cooper S, and I have finished 1 warm-up lap. And I gotta say, this has power.

9339896587_d332046b2a_c.jpg

Rob claims that it has 296 horsepower. And it feels like it. It's like the engine and the turbo are in sync. It keeps on accelerating even on 6th gear.

9339896139_b05fa999e2_c.jpg

Though the FIAT wins here at braking.

9339896079_e10b5c0612_c.jpg

It's so nimble! What everyone says about the MINI's trademark go-kart handling is true. I am driving an over-sized go kart here. The car reacts instantly to the steering and it points exactly where you intend to go.

9342682710_f5cda29c54_c.jpg

I am not gonna say it to them, but I will definitely buy one of these once I get home. It's so much playful. Even I immediately fell in love with Takanori's Countryman.

9342682490_39fe988f2a_c.jpg

And I didn't sense any hint of turbo lag. Boost.. and boost all the way. Though one must be careful on the accelerator, as it can spin its front wheels excessively.

9342682558_9987596212_c.jpg

High speed cornering is also a breeze for this car.

9342682104_3641bff159_c.jpg

And I crossed the line in...

Rob: "Read it and weep... 2 minutes and 3 seconds."

Dennis: "Awwww.... no fair!"

I love driving Rob's MINI. I like to drive it more, but I gotta return it to him.

Takuma: "Looks like Handsome Rob wins the day."

Dennis: "Handsome Rob? More like Stella Bridger, really. Handsome Rob drives a white MINI!"

Rob: "Whatever, now you go back out from the event."

Dennis: "Awwwww...."

Rob: "Oh well, let's give the crybaby what he wants. Besides, I don't think I find the event worthwhile, anyway. Time to give chance to others."

To think he sacrificed his stepping stone for his little brother. He really is my British counterpart. I'd do everything for Takanori too, and I still need to make up for the 2 decades of separation.

Dennis: "Really!? Bloody hell... I gotta thank you!"

Rob: "Dinner's on me."

Dennis: "Hey, cook your specialty halibut! I miss it so much!"

And he cooks too? Ummmm... is Rob my clone? Hahahahahahaha!

End of Page 4

Great job. And I like the Countryman a lot, ending up being my 450pp racer.

You should go try out a fully upgraded Mini Cooper 1.8 '98. A very good challenge racing GT-Rs in the A-spec Turbo event in Monza.

Page 5 - Ruined

Rob and I decided to tag along with Dennis for the 2nd round of the Hot Hatch league. That was quick... 2nd round already? It is held in Tuscany, Italy. You gotta admit, Tuscany is not just known for being one of the best places in the world to get fine wine. It's also for the wonderful winding roads that give a view of the vineyards.

Dennis: "Okay, the car is all set. All I got to do is wait for the call."

Takuma: "So, it's a time trial, eh?"

Dennis: "Yes! And pretty soon I'll be able to get an FIA license."

Rob: "Great to hear. Good thing I managed to renew my license, though. That was rough..."

I looked around for more cars. Some are stock, some are seriously modified for the job. As I moved on, I suddenly encountered Sonny Meng Xian Zhen, who once became a race instructor when I was in The Proteges. Yeah, I can tell that he has aged. Has he been too busy lately?

Sonny: "It's been a while, Takuma-san."

Takuma: "Sonny... it has been a while. What have you been doing lately?"

Sonny: "Still active in racing. I heard you and Sir Ben disbanded the group."

Takuma: "Kinda a long story."

Sonny: "And I heard you are now Japan's Rotary Meister. The day I let you drove my RX-7, you became so obsessed with it."

Because of him, I grew to love Mazda's Rotary-engined cars. He did let me drive his RX-7 FD3S, and it shows its prowess in technical tracks.

9349877484_1ace1a5387_c.jpg

And even drifted in it.

9349877280_e45ff766b4_c.jpg

Sonny: "You're joining the Hot Hatch league?"

Takuma: "I am here just to support my friends. I should be preparing for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, but..."

Another surprise... Boris is here! And he is going to run!

Sonny: "Boris... the man with a very stubborn pride."

Takuma: "And his Golf GTI... it's way too fast for the competition!"

Sonny: "Well, that's what you did in the past, right?"

Takuma: "I gotta warn them."

9349878462_83bd4a44e7_c.jpg

9347095993_9c0855b179_c.jpg

9349878238_706741009d_c.jpg

9349878164_bd924be881_c.jpg

The organizers recorded a 3 minute and 58.1 second run. I hurriedly ran to the Hatch brothers.

Takuma: "Boris is here. He just set the fastest run. You have to back out of this. His Golf GTI is way beyond the league. He has put more than a hundred grand under the hood of that car."

Dennis: "I'm being called. Save the warnings for later! See ya!"

Rob: "Wait! Oh he's so stubborn. You just said that Boris has participated? Oh dreary... but I got to see him! Maybe in the next round, though."

It's too late. Dennis has started his time run.

9347095685_41b3cc5638_c.jpg

9349877934_b881b3af74_c.jpg

9347095433_75bdb348e1_c.jpg

Dennis: "Something's wrong..."

And Rob answered his phone as he has an incoming call.

Rob: "Dennis' FIAT has stopped. The engine is cooked."

Takuma: "What!?"

I knew it. I already felt the engine was struggling when I was driving it for the shootout. The aftermarket turbo just puts too much stress on that tiny engine. If the engine could have been larger, he could have made it. Besides, the 1.2 liter engine came out from the factory as a naturally-aspirated unit, and hence it doesn't have all the components to withstand turbocharging. That's the horrifying truth about Turbos. A turbocharged engine is more likely to heat up than a naturally-aspirated engine.

9349877604_2931dc77cb_c.jpg

We arrived were Dennis had stopped. I can see in his eyes how disappointed he is. His only way of gaining attention from the FIA has been ruined.

Dennis: "There's always next time. Don't worry... Guess I'll just stick back to playing around with my Caterham."

Rob: "I'm sorry. I should have really pulled you out since I won the shootout. I don't know that this would happen. It's not your fault... it's Boris."

Takuma: "Rob..."

Rob: "I knew it. He would do something no good. I will beat him for you, I promise."

I can see Rob's fists clenching in anger. Damn... we have to do something. We have to stop Boris!

End of Page 5

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Just messed around with the Anime Face Maker:

Takanori:

9346940947_1b5085d8ee_o.jpg

Takuma:

9349703954_5944e2c50c_o.jpg

Samui:

9349703984_31996ee0a8_o.jpg

Ricky:

9349704008_dc11474555_o.jpg

Nobuyuki:

9346920553_e2c7c20a4c_o.jpg

Nobuhiko:

9346920629_6e25997871_o.jpg

Nigel:

9349704064_b8d1e47513_o.jpg

After Chapter 5, the Sidestory chapter will open consisting of side stories one page each. Whatever comes up in my mind will be entered there. There is already one, which is about Tomoko's admirer from her racing days.

.. about Tomoko's admirer from her racing days.

Small excerpt from Cowboys And Japanese crossover part:

Jacob: "I find it hard to imagine you in a race suit."

Not to dissuade you, but this just came out from reading that, no offence intended.. It sounds exciting, if you're not Jacob Ross.

The next page shall be posted tomorrow, and in relation to the previous post, Tomoko's mighty Lancia Stratos will make a comeback. And it will race...

If you read The Boom, Tomoko was a race car driver, with Sir Ben being her partner.

Last edited:
Back