Drifting automatic or manual

• Thread starter Mxrider33
  • 14 comments
Mxrider33
Just got kicked out a game for having automatic is it better to use manual, if yes could you tell me the the gears to take going into, around and out of corners

To drift properly, you should be using manual transmission, what gear to use depends on the course and the car your using. Most corners can be taken in 3rd gear, but some tighter corners may require 2nd or 1st gear, you have to practice to get a feel for what gear to use on each corner.

Manual is much better for drifting, at first you might think that manual is hard to use because there's too much to think about, but it really isn't.
Just test what gears to use in each corner, and try not to hit the rev limiter too much.

gears basically change the radius of slide in drift.

you don't really have to think hard either when playing in manual. just listen to the sound and shift up when it's about to hit the redline and shift down when braking for turns. very simple, in fact.

Its pretty easy in manual. Especially on small tracks, you'll know what gear to go in each corner after a while.

if you have automatic then the tranny might shift if you over-rev, which will lead to being out of the powerband, and thats bad in any situation. manual transmission is the way to go in basically every situation, and after a few days it becomes subconcious. i don't even think about shift points anymore.

Mxrider33
Just got kicked out a game for having automatic is it better to use manual, if yes could you tell me the the gears to take going into, around and out of corners

I'm probably the one that kicked you. I hate it when people use autos.

I drift Auto because again the Short comings of the Steering wheel. I HATE The +\- shifter because its too touchy for 1, and sometimes shift an extra gear or I can't just select the gear I know I need. Also Drifting Auto is not easy because you have to keep your speed up to keep the RPM's up to drift as opposed to being able to select the correct gear.

drifting with manual is far better.

With the steering wheel, the clutch comes in very handy too when you get too much angle too (once the LSD is set correctly)

And obviously the clutch kick is handy when bogging down too and you can shift lock better.

I've only really got back into GT5 Drifting this weekend, and I've been getting used to the feel of drifting in an automatic box. I've never had the problem of shifting up mid-drift, but that could just be the fact that I like to have the wheels spinning for the smoke. :dopey:
I should imagine manual is far easier, and fun, to drift with as you can easily manage your gears, speed and angle to a more precise way. If you can, try a track out first in automatic, to see what gears it's going into, then try the same gears in a manual box. Worth a shot.

DaveM-sport
drifting with manual is far better.

With the steering wheel, the clutch comes in very handy too when you get too much angle too (once the LSD is set correctly)

And obviously the clutch kick is handy when bogging down too and you can shift lock better.

There's no Clutch kick is there? I wish though. The D1 GP game had it and it was a godsend!

Clutch kick works for me anyway. I only use it when the lower powered cars bog down on tight transitions etc or else I press the clutch to straight up a little bit when I have far too much angle to get the front to pull round abit again.

I wouldn't bother trying tracks with an auto first. Just stick with manual, all my cars drift in 3rd or 4th. I very rarely use 2nd unless on some tracks with very tight transitions or in tear drops.

Your drifting will improve far faster with a manual too as you have much better throttle control and before you know it you'll be rubbing the wall on the last corner at Indy in 5th at over a 100mph in no time :D

Back