DRIVE THIS CAR!!! Random Car Challenge

• Thread starter t.o.
  • 270 comments
I think you got everything t.o. Good job keeping up with the OP. đź‘Ť
Seconded! Good job, t.o.

Also, what do you all think about some good, old fashioned time attack for tuned cars? You know, go for a car, a class, tune it and see what you can do?
Personally, I'd rule out drive train swaps and the Forza aero parts (because adjustable downforce and drivetrain swaps seem to mess with the PI too much)... But I'd love some creativity ;)

D[350] Gen1 MX-5 (NA Miata to most of you), maybe?

I think you got everything t.o. Good job keeping up with the OP. đź‘Ť

Seconded! Good job, t.o.

Also, what do you all think about some good, old fashioned time attack for tuned cars? You know, go for a car, a class, tune it and see what you can do?
Personally, I'd rule out drive train swaps and the Forza aero parts (because adjustable downforce and drivetrain swaps seem to mess with the PI too much)... But I'd love some creativity ;)

D[350] Gen1 MX-5 (NA Miata to most of you), maybe?

Thanks guys. I'm trying to keep up with it to give you guys the latest numbers.

I tried again in Freeplay mode. I notice there's no damage so you're don't have to be responsible for shifting penalties as you would with damage on. I shifted down a couple of times that I knew would give me damage and it did nothing. I guess I would request those who play in freeplay mode versus buying the car and going all out (including damage) let me know so that I can annotate that as well. Seems like the car starts off at prime grip also among other things. In any case I was able to shave down by FS time by 5 seconds with one run. I put it but I think I'll stick with buying the car and creating a custom match to make my times.

You don't get damage in free play? :odd:

And here I was shifting carefully :lol: Should've abused that to engine break the hell out of the car. Oh well, who cares :D

You don't get damage in free play? :odd:

And here I was shifting carefully :lol: Should've abused that to engine break the hell out of the car. Oh well, who cares :D

I thought there was no damage in free play with my limited experience playing the game.

For the next combo I was thinking about maybe something like the Carrera GT and the Nurburgring.

I prefer it if we kept it in free play mode as it saves time affording to buy the car and such and keeps everyone on an even playing field making it a more pure competition.

For the next combo I was thinking about maybe something like the Carrera GT and the Nurburgring.

I prefer it if we kept it in free play mode as it saves time affording to buy the car and such and keeps everyone on an even playing field making it a more pure competition.

Agreed! That is my favorite Porsche. Sounds like an epic challenge. đź‘Ť

Ok Porsche and Ring it is. We can also do the GP track. I love that track. As far as which mode I'll let people decide as some may want the challenge and reality of regular play (and cash too ;) ) versus abusing the car with no conscequences that free play mode. Kinda takes away for me. Just people need to let us know what mode they ran in.

I'm not going to be able to afford any of the sports cars in the game as I'm right at the beginning of the career mode so free play it is for me.

Yes the combo I wanted got picked :), it will be interesting to see how the car drives in the game, I don't know if I have driven it before in FM3. I'm hoping it will feel as planted as the Trans Am did through some of the corners. I can't drive the GP track due to not having any DLC. I like the GP track though, having driven it in a few PC sims and also GT5.

Last edited:
I just remembered I don't have the GP track either. I didnt think much of it until I raced it for the first time in GT5. Now I wish I had gotten it. No point in getting it now though with FM4 only 3 weeks away.

Thanks guys. I'm trying to keep up with it to give you guys the latest numbers.

I tried again in Freeplay mode. I notice there's no damage so you're don't have to be responsible for shifting penalties as you would with damage on. I shifted down a couple of times that I knew would give me damage and it did nothing. I guess I would request those who play in freeplay mode versus buying the car and going all out (including damage) let me know so that I can annotate that as well. Seems like the car starts off at prime grip also among other things. In any case I was able to shave down by FS time by 5 seconds with one run. I put it but I think I'll stick with buying the car and creating a custom match to make my times.

I will give this another go tomorrow If i can get away from F1 2011. I forgot on free play you already have eat in the tires and other stuff.

http://s2.postimage.org/6l2gf1yul/20092011310.jpg

8:49.4 is what I managed (for three consecutive laps, so that's pretty much it).

And here's the verdict:

Visibility: One of the rare cars in FM3 that actually seats you too low imo, rather hard to see corners that is slightly downhill.

Sound: I'll just call it the typical american middle of the range sound? only seem to come alive a bit near the red line.

Power: Doesn't feel any close to the figure suggests, in fact I instinctively checked whether the pedals are connected properly after I set off, it's that slow! Only seem to have meaningful acceleration at the later 1000 or so rpm, and the engine has a lot of inertia, doesn't like to rev. Feels best at 3rd gear, but totally gutless at the top, barely hits 150mph.

Handling: Overall pretty predictable, eager to rotate on entry but if the front can't handle the speed, you get inevitable entry understeer until you slow down, doesn't seem to be a good way around it besides setting the car up in braking and give throttle prior to apex aka the classic way. Can keep momentum with slight 4 wheel drift on faster turns but overall drives like a car which needs a lot of momentum. No problem with exit traction whatsoever, since the thing is pretty gutless.

Overall a forgetable car to drive. :dopey:

I thought there was no damage in free play with my limited experience playing the game.
Oh, I'm sorry for not knowing it, as I never really bothered with free play... :rolleyes:

Either way, Carrera GT it is, then. Can't compete on the GP track, though, as I don't have that track.

8:49.4 is what I managed (for three consecutive laps, so that's pretty much it).

And here's the verdict:

Visibility: One of the rare cars in FM3 that actually seats you too low imo, rather hard to see corners that is slightly downhill.

Sound: I'll just call it the typical american middle of the range sound? only seem to come alive a bit near the red line.

Power: Doesn't feel any close to the figure suggests, in fact I instinctively checked whether the pedals are connected properly after I set off, it's that slow! Only seem to have meaningful acceleration at the later 1000 or so rpm, and the engine has a lot of inertia, doesn't like to rev. Feels best at 3rd gear, but totally gutless at the top, barely hits 150mph.

Handling: Overall pretty predictable, eager to rotate on entry but if the front can't handle the speed, you get inevitable entry understeer until you slow down, doesn't seem to be a good way around it besides setting the car up in braking and give throttle prior to apex aka the classic way. Can keep momentum with slight 4 wheel drift on faster turns but overall drives like a car which needs a lot of momentum. No problem with exit traction whatsoever, since the thing is pretty gutless.

Thanks for putting in an observation and time.
OP updated.

And here's the verdict:

The bolded part is what I found with the car as well. I tried the RS6 in the game and it also had no punch in the highest gear. It is like the cars are geared to not even use the top gear. Will see how the Carrera GT goes, hopefully it is geared better.

Also by the looks of things I might need to do another run with the Trans Am to get myself a more comfortable margin as more people may attempt this.

Oh, I'm sorry for not knowing it, as I never really bothered with free play... :rolleyes:

Either way, Carrera GT it is, then. Can't compete on the GP track, though, as I don't have that track.

Apology accepted :sly:, I probably played less on free play than you, but by the way I was not having a dig at you.

doesn't realize this is a serious hotlap competition, better not be lol hotlapping on the ring can easily consume a day of free time. And if anyone wants to they can easily cut 5 second of so using the button clutch as it is.

I really got to get into this. Maybe on the weekend. I know there's no way I can win, I just want to see how good my 'Ring skills are in Forza.

doesn't realize this is a serious hotlap competition, better not be lol hotlapping on the ring can easily consume a day of free time. And if anyone wants to they can easily cut 5 second of so using the button clutch as it is.

I've done about 5 laps in total so I'm not thinking of this as a serious hotlap competition yet ;). However if someone goes ahead of me, I might do another two lap run. Is there a way to not have to do a standing start lap, will save at least 9 minutes? I think it is safe to say I have the least experience on this game than anyone else who has posted a time so far, so I should get faster in the next combo just through more experience and getting used to using a controller again for driving games.

@Ali I think you can just turn around at the start and go to the begining of the straight and turn back around and build your speed up coming across the line.

Backing up and speeding up before crossing the finishing line definitely does work, but it will mark your lap as 'dirty'. Sucks if you want to make it onto the leaderboards, but I think it should work perfectly fine for our porpuse :)

That's how the car is in real life too. Horrible visibility, and you sit super low in the car, and you have to look up over the hood and dash.

Not to be a debbie downer, but I think this thread is losing focus from TO's original thoughts.

I am not seeing anyone posting times for the Audi, though that was the next challenge (though I am not participating due to it being a DLC pack), but would like to see some others who have agreed to participate in that event.

Any chance for more consistency on this great endeavor? Seems we are all over the board, and I am not sure which car to drive or post on.

Even though human nature will prevail it's self this is not a "serious hotlap" comp. It's just us grabbing cars and having everyone get in them and give their impressions and throw some times out there. It's probably my fault for recording times and being so structured with it as to give the impression that this is a race for time. The intent is not to concentrate on having the top time in the whole wide world. It's more for the conversation about the car itself and some good laughs, moans, etc. that the car could give us.

That's how the car is in real life too. Horrible visibility, and you sit super low in the car, and you have to look up over the hood and dash.

Not to be a debbie downer, but I think this thread is losing focus from TO's original thoughts.

I am not seeing anyone posting times for the Audi, though that was the next challenge (though I am not participating due to it being a DLC pack), but would like to see some others who have agreed to participate in that event.

Any chance for more consistency on this great endeavor? Seems we are all over the board, and I am not sure which car to drive or post on.

You're right as can be seen by the reply above. It's more about the experience of the car than anything else. Guys can still try to get top times but it's not my intended purpose of the thread, or should I say primary/sole purpose of the thread.

That's the main reason why I haven't solidified a control and mode setting. Only giving the assists config so we can all have somewhat similar experience with the same car no matter what control method.

Thanks T.O. So we have the Trans Am going, and that seem to be rockin' like Dokken. T.O., can you pick the next car that we should all do, and which track? Or take a vote?

I would request that it not be DLC, but if it is, that is ok. I don't have to participate in all of them.

Backing up and speeding up before crossing the finishing line definitely does work, but it will mark your lap as 'dirty'. Sucks if you want to make it onto the leaderboards, but I think it should work perfectly fine for our porpuse :)
It doesn't matter for me since I'm never online on the 360 so it should save me a good few minutes đź‘Ť.

Thanks T.O. So we have the Trans Am going, and that seem to be rockin' like Dokken. T.O., can you pick the next car that we should all do, and which track? Or take a vote?

I would request that it not be DLC, but if it is, that is ok. I don't have to participate in all of them.

I think it is more or less decided on being the Carrera GT on the Nurburgring

t.o. is it OK if I just post just FS times now?

Just gave it another go this morning. Im really starting to get used to sliding the car around some of these corners. I really find the T/A pretty fun to drive on this track. I'm also getting a bit more comfortable with the H-pattern shifter. Still there is a few seconds to be had.

I can't forget to mention, I finally broke the sub 9 minute lap!! :D

859.jpg

I may start working on the Carrera GT later.

Last edited:

I will post my time later:tup:

edit: 1st try Carrera GT S640 Nurb nordshleife 07:53:204

edit: 2nd try Carrera GT S640 Nurb nordshleife 07:44:900

Last edited:
Will give this a run in a few minutes time.

Edit:

Gave this a go just now. Car is much faster than the Trans Am :sly:. It understeers quite a lot through corners so requires more partial throttle than the Trans Am to stop running wide. Can have oversteer on exit depending on bumps so depending on corner you have to be slightly more careful than normal to keep traction high. The car brakes / downforce / tyre grip are very good. Overall quite fun car to drive due to the power on this track.

Fastest lap time was 7:26.268. I don't really know how much faster a top Forza player can do but probably at least 10 seconds quicker.

2lmm6fk.jpg

t.o. , I'll save you some time.
Carrera GT '03 - Times and Tracks

Wheel Times

Controller Times

saidur_ali 7:26.268 (FS/CN-C) Nurburgring

Last edited:
Back