DRIVE THIS CAR!!! Random Car Challenge

• Thread starter t.o.
  • 270 comments
Sorry the pic is blurry as hell lol, 7:28.275 is the time.

21092011311.jpg

Can't find fault with the car really, perfect on all fronts, which makes it extra hard to find time other then being really aggressive. And I probably can brake better.

flying start, wheel, clutch assist used.

on a side note the ring time seems pretty accurate given the general comment that FM3 has too much grip and the ring is too wide?

Last edited:
Just ran a few laps with the Carrera GT. The car is fast as hell and that makes for quite an adjustment after driving the T/A.

Same setup as usual with a flying start.
CGT743.jpg

Props to JJ72 and Ali. 👍 You guys are fast as hell. I finished in 25th in my region in the GT Academy and thought I would be at least even with the fastest times but you guys are a notch above me.

I'm surprised I managed to do that! Controller, cockpit view, no Aids besides ABS, stock Carrera GT, Clutch!

Things I noticed.

-The car is a little twitchy at low speeds.
-At higher speeds downforce seems to kick in and stabilize it.
-Braking is very scary. It seems you slightly tap the brakes and it stops super fast, then when you slam them your screeming to stop!
-Doesn't easily get upset.
-Can take the first few corners of Nurburgring without even lifting.
-A very fun car to drive! 👍👍

That was a scary third lap, my first was to get used to the car, second was to get into speed, and third was to give it all hell! I noticed on most of the corners for the first and second laps I wouldn't push the brakes more than 60%, on the third I was braking so late I was slamming them all the way! Very hard to get used to and I still upset it a couple times.

I managed to knock off another couple seconds but I'm not sure I can get much more. It's frustrating constantly fighting under-steer in a RWD car. With that being said I can't wait for the new physics in FM4.

741.jpg

those who complain about understeer are on pads?

At the very least you lose less time with understeer than oversteer.

I'm using a wheel. I'd rather have over-steer because over-steer can at least be corrected with throttle control. Under-steer can only be corrected by going slower and by having the "perfect" angle going into a corner.

This car is pretty steerable by throttle, probably you are just not driving it correctly? Add some power and it hooks up and turns.

Sorry for the long delay guys. I was trying to hook up a nice vid first before putting up times but the I upload the second part of the vid first and when I went to upload the first part (which was the cooler looking one) the Turn 10 servers went down. Obviously having something to do with the big update they did today to it. :( So I got the wack vid instead.

I'm not gonna lie. I can't drive this car anywhere near what I think it's apex is for squat. It just feels like it's getting to or in the wrong gear every time I approach a turn if you know what I mean. Maybe not gear but like it's in the wrong part of the power band when I need it to be somewhere else. Like it's leaving me indecisive on what action to take when I'm approaching some turns.

OP Updated:
Please check your times and let me know if I missed anything

t.o. , I'll save you some time.

Thanks man, appreciate it. Although not required guys having all the info already formatted is a nice time saver for me. I know my legend can kinda be redundant though so... lol. But thanks saidur_ali. That helps with the pre-formatting.

Thanks t.o.

My lap was hood view, wheel with clutch and h-pattern shifter. No assists.
Got it

OP updated

Sounds good to me. I suggest our next track be the LeSarthe OR Mugello. Anyone have any suggestions?
I'd preffer Mugello, might be in an okay shape for it again.

Dunno about the car. Since we had a Porsche and the Trans Am, how about something medium-priced? A BMW of sorts?

02:07.105. Best I could manage right now. Pretty pathetic, I know, but I guess I'm still not quite alright again.

Anyways, fun car. Makes you feel like you're in the Formula Drift, though. More in-depth thoughts later.

Here is what I got so far.
Wheel with clutch and H-shifter no assists
204.jpg

I know I can knock off another full second maybe even 2 but it's 1am and i'm pretty tired. I may give it another go tomorrow.

I'm sure Ali and JJ72 will probably be under 2 minutes.

Biggest thing I noticed with this car is that you really sense the weight transfer shift from side to side when there is back to back alternating corners (left, right or right, left) if you don't hit the first corner as smooth as possible.

Last edited:
bd919c6d.jpg

Controller FS No assists Best of 5 laps

Man I can't drive. I think I could at least hit 2:05. I hate not having a wheel for 360!

Pretty quick for a little luxury car though. I had not even bought it yet. Definitely have to nail the initial entry of any group of turns like you said. If not the weight is hard to manage (especially with a controller). My CSR cannot get here soon enough.

Just managed a 2:06.893. At least I'm in the sixes lol. I give up.

Last edited:
Good laps guys. One thing i really notice is the "slow in and fast out" theory seems to pay off in this car. with allot of back to back alternating corners on this track you always have to set yourself up for the 2nd corner when your taking the first.

Looking forward to that CSR wheel Zoo?

zr1chris
Good laps guys. One thing i really notice is the "slow in and fast out" theory seems to pay off in this car. with allot of back to back alternating corners on this track you always have to set yourself up for the 2nd corner when your taking the first.

Looking forward to that CSR wheel Zoo?

Slow in fast out for sure! I was really concentrating on this to handle the weight effectively. Just difficult to judge it without FFB. I've been spoiled with a wheel on GT5.

And ya man I cant wait. I actually just finished painting the frame of my Playseat flat black. I also ordered di-noc carbon fiber vinyl to place around the base and on the face of the wheel to give it that "Elite" look. Ya I'm cheap lol.

Glad to see you guys came up with a nice car/track combo. I'll set up the OP of course. Don't know if I can get a vid up though with the service down. Might have to grab something off youtube or one of you guys who have a video recording device can whip something up.

OP updated again fellas.

For such a "little" car this thing feels heavy enough and weight is just sloshing around if you're not deliberate with what you want to do. If you have some back to back S turns you damn well better take the first one with the second one as your objective. I think this is the kinda car that would be a good car to learn fundamentals correctly because it makes you drive. It's like a HDTV, it's not hiding anything from the source. You got pimples in your wheel game it's showing it for the world to see. "Mommy, why's that guy all in the dirt?" "He can't drive for squat Timmy, just look away son".
I managed a 2:03:839. I know I could squeeze out a lot more but the car makes you have patience and I got none. lol

Why so down on your lap t.o.? That's pretty quick if you ask me.

I know I could have done better but I just kept getting anxious here and there and I should know better. lol.

These are the kind of cars I had in mind with this challenge. Some cars you can mask mistakes with raw horsepower and venus fly trap grip but this isn't that car. I'm going to put this on my group and see how they manage with it.

Latest Posts

Back