DriveClub PS+ Hits the streets - Was it worth the wait?

• Thread starter inphamus
  • 63 comments
United States
United States
Dr_Bloc

I had a hard time with this game. It was visually stunning, but you can't have a driving game that doesn't drive well.

@inphamus This is the first time I've heard someone complaining about DC's handling model. It's sublime for an arcade racer. Everyone has their opinion of course but for the type of game I feel it's spot on.

There's no "right" way an arcade racing game should handle, and that's why I ultimately have more fun with them than I do with simulations. What I love about Driveclub's handling model is that it favors the side of grippiness, which in my opinion has been lacking from a lot of games in the genre lately. Recent Need For Speed titles have been the worst offenders; cars tend to steer like their tires have been replaced with bricks, feeling incredibly weighty and imprecise, necessitating game designers to make the road six lanes wide to accommodate massive drifts. I don't enjoy that at all, and so I love Driveclub. Reminds me of the PGR series back on Xbox, which struck a perfect balance between being easy to learn and difficult to master. You do occasionally have to fight with the car, but you never feel like you've lost control.

Last edited:
You didn't even get the car count right. There are 15 cars in the PS+ version, not "five or so".
Why is DRIVECLUB constantly reviewed so horribly...

EDIT: And YOU CAN USE THE STICK FOR THROTTLE AND BRAKES!
My goodness, please take that video down, you're stating absolute bullcrap.

You didn't even get the car count right. There are 15 cars in the PS+ version, not "five or so".
Why is DRIVECLUB constantly reviewed so horribly...

EDIT: And YOU CAN USE THE STICK FOR THROTTLE AND BRAKES!
My goodness, please take that video down, you're stating absolute bullcrap.
People seem to think all arcade racers should handle the same oddly :lol:. Therefore when you come to a blind corner(which has flag corner indictators, by the way OP) and try and coast round it blame the handling engine when they skid out of control/hit the wall.

I don't find Driveclub's handing awful in the slightest, very easy to understand and learn.

I'm sorry OP but you are crazy. In fairness, I understand that you don't have the insight that many here have from playing the game, mostly since launch, but you enter this review with the first flawed assumption that it's going to be like GT. If you were waiting for it with keenness, as you suggested, then you should really have known that.

Another point worth mentioning, the dev team are constantly playing this, as they set challenges on a regular basis for the community. Most of the monthly vids announcing the various DLC and free cars are driven by Jamie Brayshaw, one of the lead developers and in the full version, we have had tour events where the challenge is to beat up to four of the developers who have substituted the usual AI with their own laps.

Your main point though, concerning the physics, I am in agreement with the other who have commented here. GT is GT but DC being an arcade style game has a surprisingly deep physics model that most people can pick up, yet gives you enough of a challenge if you wish to excel at it.

Can you point out to me when driveclub was billed as a sim type game? never that's when. The handling in my eyes is great and the toaster with rubber feet? If you like sims so much you should know you need to use the brakes.

cars handle like toasters with rubber feet. There wasn't a single part of the driving dynamics that felt good.

Tell you what tell me the track and car you think is crap and i will show you a good lap with a DS4.

IMO, GT claims to be a sim, but falls well short of achieving realistic physics, and ends up with it's own quirky handling. By contrast, when I first played Driveclub, I expected really arcadey handling, due to it being promoted as arcade. What I found was surprisingly deep handling physics, that felt in a lot of ways more natural than GT6. So, again IMO, GT6 was disappointingly unrealistic, and DC was surprisingly realistic :D

Also Darin from Inside Sim Racing said Driveclub's physics are not far off being as good as Forza's, and he preferred Forza's to GT's.

The only really obviously unrealistic thing about the physics is the simple tyre model, but it's not like GT6 has a realistic tyre model either.

Tell you what tell me the track and car you think is crap and i will show you a good lap with a DS4.

Well to be honest you could probably get a perfect run in Ridge Racer but that doesn't mean the driving dynamics are any good.

Well to be honest you could probably get a perfect run in Ridge Racer but that doesn't mean the driving dynamics are any good.
Ridge Racer's driving dynamics are good for what it attempts to be, it's billed as an Arcade racer and controls like one.

Ridge Racer's driving dynamics are good for what it attempts to be, it's billed as an Arcade racer and controls like one.

Ok maybe that was a bad example.

My point is you can run a perfect lap in any racing game. That doesn't mean the driving dynamics are good.

My apologies, but is all that you have to say after all the other comments? I mean, if you start a post with a statement, then my guess was that you were willing to discuss.
What is it you would like to discuss? You haven't added anything to the conversation. Only the assumption that I expected this to be GT, and that the devs play the game.

What is it you would like to discuss? You haven't added anything to the conversation. Only the assumption that I expected this to be GT, and that the devs play the game.
An answer to those points might be a start. Discussion after all is per definition a dialogue. You also stated at the end of the vid: 'am I crazy?' Don't you wish to refute that?

EDIT: nor is it just my points that I think are the issue here.

This game isn't a GT game. There was no expectations for a GT game. There was, however, expectations for a driving game that drives well. The devs play the game? That's neat.

Anything else to appease you?

You have claimed that Driveclub's physics are awful with a strange choice of simile, everyone here has refuted that by pointing out that your ideals of what Driveclub was supposed to be is heavily skewed. I can understand if this review was done on release of Driveclub, let's be honest, Sony are one of the masters of mis-interpretting and blantantly lying about a game's purpose(still don't understand why they included a 'Forza Killer' quote in the launch trailer) but the game has been out for months and just about every detail of what Driveclub is has been told to everyone and anyone who would listen...mostly in an odd negative manner. You deem Driveclub inappropriate on the basis of your own inflated expectations but not on what the game truly is. Driveclub is a solid racer, its not anything incredible but it harkens back to the days of old PS1 racers where you are just put straight to the road and allowed to race. If you had done your research you would have seen this. Personally, I find Driveclub very good but think it would have faired better at its now adjusted price-point of 25 GBP from launch.

You have claimed that Driveclub's physics are awful with a strange choice of simile, everyone here has refuted that by pointing out that your ideals of what Driveclub was supposed to be is heavily skewed. I can understand if this review was done on release of Driveclub, let's be honest, Sony are one of the masters of mis-interpretting and blantantly lying about a game's purpose(still don't understand why they included a 'Forza Killer' quote in the launch trailer) but the game has been out for months and just about every detail of what Driveclub is has been told to everyone and anyone who would listen...mostly in an odd negative manner. You deem Driveclub inappropriate on the basis of your own inflated expectations but not on what the game truly is. Driveclub is a solid racer, its not anything incredible but it harkens back to the days of old PS1 racers where you are just put straight to the road and allowed to race. If you had done your research you would have seen this. Personally, I find Driveclub very good but think it would have faired better at its now adjusted price-point of 25 GBP from launch.
So by creating a review that is in line with the other reviews out there "detail of what Driveclub is has been told to everyone and anyone who would listen...mostly in an odd negative manner" I'm out of line and my oppinions are invalid? I think not. You're oppinions are recognized and aknowleged.

Also I went into this game with as little knowledge of the title as possible. I didn't want to be swayed by marketing buzz words and paid feedback. I honestly had no idea how this game was going to play. I hadn't even seen another review before playing. The views expressed are those of one who had no preconcieved notions of what/how the game was going to play.

Also, I watched 6 or 7 other reviews last night as the comments have been mostly negative. Maybe I had missed something. All of the reviews I stumbled across were pretty damn similar to mine. Also filled with assanine comments by people mad that the reviewer didn't enjoy the game as much as they did. If there is one thing I can tell about this game, is that it polarizes people. Not one person is in the middle. You either view it as a waste of HDD space or you like it so much that it infuriates you that someone else doesn't enjoy it.

Consider me that middle ground then, I said within my post that I find Driveclub 'solid' by all accounts. :lol: Driveclub is undoubtedly the most polished and complete racer on PS4 currently. You can interpret that as a positive or negative based on your opinion of the game of course. I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid, I was just pointing out that a lot of points seemed naive but if you kept away from anyone else's opinions and released information from the game team themselves that makes sense. However, this does mean that the point about the developers not playing the game is wholy invalid, since they do quite a lot. I can understand why someone may not like the handling engine but it really does have to be learned before it can be slammed. According to your review you are only level 3...that doesn't seem to extensive on your behalf.
So by creating a review that is in line with the other reviews out there "detail of what Driveclub is has been told to everyone and anyone who would listen...mostly in an odd negative manner" I'm out of line and my oppinions are invalid? I think not. You're oppinions are recognized and aknowleged.

Also I went into this game with as little knowledge of the title as possible. I didn't want to be swayed by marketing buzz words and paid feedback. I honestly had no idea how this game was going to play. I hadn't even seen another review before playing. The views expressed are those of one who had no preconcieved notions of what/how the game was going to play.

Also, I watched 6 or 7 other reviews last night as the comments have been mostly negative. Maybe I had missed something. All of the reviews I stumbled across were pretty damn similar to mine. Also filled with assanine comments by people mad that the reviewer didn't enjoy the game as much as they did. If there is one thing I can tell about this game, is that it polarizes people. Not one person is in the middle. You either view it as a waste of HDD space or you like it so much that it infuriates you that someone else doesn't enjoy it.

Last edited:
Anything else to appease you?
It's not about appeasing me. It's about your comments and subsequent answers, or lack thereof.

Okay, I see in your latest post that you have come to the game without any fore-knowledge. fair enough, but your review does seem to imply that you expected something GT-ish. Now that would be fair if the game was aimed at that corner of the market.

That the game polarises, that is true. There is plenty of scope and room out there for all kinds of games. Trouble is, so many reviews are done with an apparent agenda. I'm not saying that yours was, more that perhaps you should be aware of that if you wish to continue presenting an impartial viewpoint, as yours came across a little less in that direction than perhaps you intended.

Last edited:
The level is just from the footage I captured. All in all I've completed around 15 different races and many of those I raced multiple times. As a matter of fact I redownloaded the game last night and gave it another shot this morning. I wanted to see if my view on the game has changed. It did not. The comment about "toaster with rubber feet" was actually more prevelant today while playing, than it was when I recorded the commentary.

The comment about the devs not playing was purely satire, as I can tell some did not pick up on that. It was to draw focus on the game physics while giving a noteworthy jab to the graphics.

It's not about appeasing me. It's about your comments and subsequent answers, or lack thereof.

Okay, I see in your latest post that you have come to the game without any fore-knowledge. fair enough, but your review does seem to imply that you expected something GT-ish. Now that would be fair if the game was aimed at that corner of the market.

That the game polarises, that is true. There is plenty of scope and room out there for all kinds of games. Trouble is, so many reviews are done with an apparent agenda. I'm not saying that yours was, more that perhaps you should be aware of that if you wish to continue presenting an impartial viewpoint, as your came across a little less in that direction than perhaps you intended.
To portray a view that is anything less than what I actually believe would be false and misleading. More so than those putting up paid reviews. To be honest, that is reason I started giving my oppinions in the form of reviews. I was tired of being misled by other reviews and experiencing something completely different than what had been covered by others.

As far as an agenda... My only agenda was to find a driving game that I enjoyed.

To portray a view that is anything less than what I actually believe would be false and misleading. More so than those putting up paid reviews. To be honest, that is reason I started giving my oppinions in the form of reviews. I was tired of being misled by other reviews and experiencing something completely different than what had been covered by others.

As far as an agenda... My only agenda was to find a driving game that I enjoyed.
I wasn't implying that yours was done with an agenda, merely that you should be aware of that, mostly because it could be construed as coming across that way.

In the way of constructive criticism, may I suggest that you do a written review first, for yourself. Then research the material and amend accordingly. It will just come across more professionally that way.

Only wanted to state my agenda. If you can call it an agenda.

The only thing that I did not research enough would be using the right analog stick for gas/brake. Initially I scrolled through the control looking for "R3" in the button description. I did find "Right Stick Forward" and "Backward". That would be the only part of the video I regret.

...The only thing that I did not research enough would be using the right analog stick for gas/brake. Initially I scrolled through the control looking for "R3" in the button description. I did find "Right Stick Forward" and "Backward". That would be the only part of the video I regret.
And the fact that it wasn't never meant to be a GT style game, or that the guys might have played their own game, or the car total...or...I give up.

I've said my piece, offered advice on how you might more reasonably proceed with your future reviews. if you choose to carry on making statements without first researching, or taking any responsibility for your comments, then that's your call.

Last edited:
And the fact that it wasn't ever meant to be a GT style game, or that the guys might have played their own game, or the car total...or...I give up.

I've said my piece, offered advice on how you might more reasonably proceed with your future reviews. if you chose to carry on making statements without first researching, or taking any responsibility for your comments, then that's your call.
If people do not like my opinions, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own and I'm not here to take that away from them.

If people do not like my opinions, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own and I'm not here to take that away from them.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, excuse my hyperbole but it's like saying TLOU has a weak story, you're complaining about a universaly praised feature about the game, hence us getting confused as to why this is.

It's been stated several times DC is a lot like PGR in the handling department (a game which has high praise for being fun).

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, excuse my hyperbole but it's like saying TLOU has a weak story, you're complaining about a universaly praised feature about the game, hence us getting confused as to why this is.

It's been stated several times DC is a lot like PGR in the handling department (a game which has high praise for being fun).
Not everybody has to like everything. I'm sure you and I both love the sun and light that it gives us, but I'm sure there's somebody out there that hates the sun. I don't like the vehicle dynamics, and it seems to be something personal to those who do. And I get that. Be passionate. Stand up for your thoughts, but don't let it get to the point of repressing those who don't share the same belief.

Back