driving with abs off

• Thread starter randys
  • 16 comments
cant drive standard physics and abs off, how will i ever drive pro

need to figure out how much i can tap the brake but it is so darn twitchy

Whats your goal, Drive Pro or drive without ABS ?
My recommendation is to switch to Pro physics leaving ABS on and get used to the change in grip you'll experience. It will take a while to get really comfy with this if you have only ever driven STD.
Step two, when braking into a corner, dont simply mash the brake pedal to the floor... this does stop you via ABS, but you will find the car should stop better if you are not activating the ABS... this takes some feel (or should i say listening) to get used to but will get you good results, brake like you would in your road car... not like an arcade game.
This also keeps ABS active for those panic moments when you find it really is needed.

As long as you dont treat ABS as your braking system, but a last resort, then there is no point turning it off :D

If your tuning the setup of cars, reducing the brake balance front and rear will help with how much pedal is used before ABS kicks in.

Your using a DFGT aren't you? I had a Driving Force Pro (I believe the pedals are the same between models) and I had trouble with accurate braking with ABS off with the DFP. Since having the G25 with the much improved pedals, racing ABS=0 has become a lot easier, being able to accurately adjust the brake pressure as need be.

Although, competatively in GT5Prologue, most people run with ABS=1 due to the way the ABS is modeled, not only is it easier, its faster.

EDIT: For setting up brake bias for ABS=0 start with Brake Bias Front=3, Rear=1. That should help by reducing lock ups, you also have to learn as you brake in a straight line, use as much of the brake pedal as it will allow, and as you begin to turn in, ease off the brakes as you wind up the steering, the more you turn the wheel, the less you have to be on your brakes or you'll lock 'em.

i have G25...so lower brake balance below 10 for less abs...abs keeps me from spinning out when applying the brakes, i presume...having it at zero does seem to allow for faster cornering...i have had it at 1 on all cars, when i go to zero it is a problem

i need to learn pro physics which adds the issue of spinning out under acceleration ... and braking...thought i should try and race standard and NO abs first, otherwise i would never get the other

thanks for trying to help

i have G25...so lower brake balance below 10 for less abs...abs keeps me from spinning out when applying the brakes, i presume...having it at zero does seem to allow for faster cornering...i have had it at 1 on all cars, when i go to zero it is a problem

i need to learn pro physics which adds the issue of spinning out under acceleration ... and braking...thought i should try and race standard and NO abs first, otherwise i would never get the other

thanks for trying to help

ABS doesnt affect spinning out, only wheel lock, so cornering speed is the same, thats ASM.

Take a slower car like a Focus ST or Golf GTI to learn all of that stuff.
A FWD car also wont spin that quickly with its wheels spinning.

Go to HSR and drive some laps with ABS on 1 (with pro physics) after you managed to handle the car this way shut the ABS off.

Use the start/finish straight for testing, try to stop as fast as you can without locking the wheels up.

EDIT:
ABS doesnt affect spinning out, only wheel lock, so cornering speed is the same, thats ASM.
Well, when your wheels lock up while your turning you spin pretty fast, because the car looses its grip, especially on midengine cars.

@randys

Sorry, I thought I read somewhere you had the DFGT, my mistake. To be honest, I can't tell the difference between ABS=1 or ABS=10. Most players I imagine would stick with the default of ABS=1. With ABS=1 the brake bias setting matters less, you can often push the rear brakes up a little to help with turn in (for example, a common setting I use for Brake Bias would be Front=4 Rear=7)

While if you go for ABS=0, you should run, for a start at least, with Brake Bias Front=3, Rear=1. And as you learn to run without ABS, do ALL of your braking in a straight line, come off the brakes and then turn. As you get more of a feel for it, you can start to brake later, ease off the brakes and start to turn into the corner.

Its a learning process and is probably one of the harder aspects to learn in GT5Prologue. Took me many months of running ABS=0 to be somewhat competitive (and i use competitive loosely) but the satisfaction of getting it right is an awesome feeling!

Good advice above,try this...dont try to break lap records right off take it slow get comfy then slowly try to build speed,learn breaking points and easy on the pedals till you can control spin.

i throw the car sideways to go around the corner, i have to do something because others can pass me on corners like i am standing still...

^^ Thats your problem right there :) Sideways round a corner will never be quicker.

The cars passing you like you are standing still is going to be due to a)car setup and/or b) driver technique.

As the others have said, Pro physics should be your first step.. with ABS = 1

Once you learn to drive the car like this, properly, you will then be able to turn ABS off.... however I will go as far to say, once you are driving at a level where you can turn ABS off and maintain control, you will also no longer be getting overtaken like you are standing still grasshopper.

And besides, most tunes work with a setting of 1 on ABS, because what you really don't want is TCS.

I can't drive with ABS off. Ever. Even if I use half-brake and pump the pedal (or should I say, analog stick), the wheel will still lock up. However, I find ABS off helps those super-understeery cars to turn-in better (but not necessarily faster).

try pro physics, ABS-1, ASM on (this turns off when ABS is set to 0), and ALL other assists off.. and if itll do anything, in the options menu there are some other things you can tinker with as well... i wouldnt suggest sliding around corners either.. waste of time and rubber.. not that wasting rubber is a issue youll face in GT5P, but it will in GT5...

Stick with ABS = 1 and move to Pro would be my recommendation.

I dont think i know anyone who drives with ABS = 0.

Myself i am in Pro mode, but i have to have the ABS on 1.
The TCS is what you want to turn off.

It's funny how in the game i have the ABS on, but in real life, my car's ABS is switch off :scared: :dunce: :lol:

Stick with ABS = 1 and move to Pro would be my recommendation.

Before I joined GTP I had no idea on how to setup any settings, but with the tunes available (ABS -1, camber, tow, etc.) pro is way more fun and not hard to manage really; though I am nowhere near the Aliens (really fast drivers not of this world:) performance :crazy:

Back