DS4 snap countersteer lock (read OP)

Very unfortunate you can't COMPLETELY customize your controller settings. For example, I don't use exactly any of the 3 pre-set acceleration and braking choices. The closest option is the right stick for accel/braking...but I do not normally use right stick down for braking.....but silly PD likes to do silly stuff....so I can't put the brake option anywhere else...

All I want is FULL customization of the controller. Disappointed highly.

I played with both a wheel and DS4 tonight and playing with a DS4 did not feel good. Takes an age to go from lock to lock even with sensitivity turned way up. I didn't use the DS4 in the beta, was it the same. FM7 has much better feel on the pad. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

No it was not the same, it was perfect just like any other GT.
You're not missing anything it's broken all over the place.

Maybe it's just me but I actually don't mind the sensitivity.. First jumping on the controls earlier today, yeah the controls seemed sluggish. But I turned my sensitivity up to 5 and it felt similar to the Beta. A little bit more rigid and unforgiving but shoot, I've been running pretty similar times as I was running late in the beta.

Then again, it all varies in play style. I let the car straighten itself out a lot when I drive so I let go of the left analog a lot AND I have a decently steady thumb when I play, like you wouldn't hear the controller click that much when I steer. So that may be why it doesn't bother me that much.

Maybe it's just me but I actually don't mind the sensitivity.. First jumping on the controls earlier today, yeah the controls seemed sluggish. But I turned my sensitivity up to 5 and it felt similar to the Beta. A little bit more rigid and unforgiving but shoot, I've been running pretty similar times as I was running late in the beta.

Then again, it all varies in play style. I let the car straighten itself out a lot when I drive so I let go of the left analog a lot AND I have a decently steady thumb when I play, like you wouldn't hear the controller click that much when I steer. So that may be why it doesn't bother me that much.

it's not so much about lap times.. they can be similar yes, but try going drifting with the M4 and not get killed..

it's not so much about lap times.. they can be similar yes, but try going drifting with the M4 and not get killed..

Yeah, I wasn't part of the beta so I can't compare, but tried the M4 and it was near impossible to do corrections without spinning. But overall I haven't found it too bad.

But like I said I can't compare it to the beta.

Maybe you have to go for tuning first? As drifting I remember you can choose Drift mode in Tuning options. Idk if that would work though.

Beya seemed to have better controls. Last night I was really struggling. Got better eventually, but some tweaks seem to be in order.

Playing with a controller does kinda sucks at the moment... the unresponsiveness makes it hard to keep a car on track and correct oversteer. Pcars felt similar and kinda unplayable with a controller. Haven’t tried my T300rs yet, hopefully that improves it a bit, because -to me at least- playing the game isn’t very enjoyable right now.

I agree , the plan was to preorder today after i played the demo yesterday, but how the ds4 steers im not gonna preorder.

As soon i try to countersteer in a drift the game throws the car in the opposite direction straight into a wall.

Too bad i was really looking forward for gran turismo.

I agree that the steering is too laggy feeling. Even with the steering sensitivity setting set to the max in the settings it's still too slow. It's not too bad around the centre (such as when you go to turn-in to a corner), but around full lock of the steering it seems significantly slower. (more noticable when you're steering to full-lock to correct an oversteer or try drifting).

Also something which has really annoyed me that has existed since GT5-P and still exists in the GT Sport Demo is the way the accelerator isn't linear with the right trigger. It's so difficult to modulate the throttle between 50-100%, but very easy to modulate from 0-50%, which makes it harder than it needs to be managing wheelspin off the line and powering out of corners in rwds (I drive with traction control off).

This problem doesn't exist with the brake trigger.

Probably won't buy the full game unless they get things like this right, don't think it's enough to draw me away from PCars2 at the moment.

Very unfortunate you can't COMPLETELY customize your controller settings. For example, I don't use exactly any of the 3 pre-set acceleration and braking choices. The closest option is the right stick for accel/braking...but I do not normally use right stick down for braking.....but silly PD likes to do silly stuff....so I can't put the brake option anywhere else...

Where is it you’re trying to assign gas/brake? I was able to move pretty much anything I wanted and re-assign where I wanted. Select options, controller, and from there you can move around each option down the hazards. Again this depending on where you’re trying to place said options.

And I don’t think you guys who were planning to preorder should just give up all hope now. Remember, this is only a demo. Not to mention, I don’t think this was the planned parameters for the controller. More than likely I’d assume there will be an update to how the controller feels. DriveClub is a great example of that, and PC1 honestly. Game felt like trash when it first dropped and then with an update it became much better. At least with GTS we’re not dealing with trash from the start

I can get the controller configuration I want by going to the accessibility settings. Depending on what you use for brake and accelerate you might be able to too?

I feel like the game is pretty good with the DS4 ... I just cranked the sensitivity up to 7 and use the right stick for throttle.

I played with both a wheel and DS4 tonight and playing with a DS4 did not feel good. Takes an age to go from lock to lock even with sensitivity turned way up. I didn't use the DS4 in the beta, was it the same. FM7 has much better feel on the pad. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

@PzR Slim, you said you tried also wheel. Is it really the same effect on wheel with lock to lock? That wheel/steering freezes for 0,5 sec to move counter direction? Even given that Polyphony wanted simulate the real wheel times (that should still exclude wheels controlers), this seams rubbish. You should be able to adjust or turn off that. C'mon you have all aids, like autopilot, auto counter, etc, and they are not letting you disable running into the walls at any simple countersteer?? This is simply ruining the game, working totally against all 0aids players in favor of aided drivers.

PS glad to find this thread, started to be frustrated being only one who Don't get it.

@PzR Slim
PS glad to find this thread, started to be frustrated being only one who Don't get it.

it's not you who don't get it :D now we just need to draw PD's attention that this has to be fixed...

it works just fine with a wheel... the car' wheels turn as fast as you can turn your steering wheel.

it works just fine with a wheel... the car' wheels turn as fast as you can turn your steering wheel.

Seems like what I had suspected, PD focused on steering wheel controllers and forgot about the rest of us pad controller players from since GT1...just hope this does get addressed in the near future after launch.

Already post the issues to Kaz. This is quite concerning since GT is a game that have good controller response. That's how I spent my time back in GT4.

View attachment 678677

Thanks. Anyone can see the problem by looking at the red dot. Once it hits full lock it stays there no matter what input you give, making drifiting and counter steering impossible.

As someone who plays Assetto Corsa on DS4 (with a few minor changes), GT Sport is how I want my car to handle on a pad. Playing hardcore sims on pads, you really need to get out of the habit of tapping the sticks, with constant corrections. Instead keep a nice driving line, and when it does step out, don't overcorrect too much.

it's not you who don't get it :D now we just need to draw PD's attention that this has to be fixed...

Thanks. Anyone can see the problem by looking at the red dot. Once it hits full lock it stays there no matter what input you give, making drifiting and counter steering impossible.

Unfortunately the first Tweet didn't get response from Kaz, so I decided to post him again for the second time. If he not replying I wish he read it (both post) and have some plan to solve this.

I also give Kaz an example from someone I saw in Instagram experiencing similiar problem and attached it to my Tweet :

I hope and believe Kaz/PD will fix this. The sad part is that you have to put the controller sensitivity up high to get the quick left to right or right to left transitions. In the beta, you could flick the car through the chicane at Dragon Trail. You didn't need it all the way up to 7. Now you do because the inputs are slowed. With a wheel you don't need to go lock to lock to flick a car through a chicane like that because of the speed you carry through there. GT6 had this problem in the GT Academy. Pad users could never get close to wheel users. I guess I'll need to save to get a good wheel! That was my plan anyway but it kinda sucks that they went backwards from the beta with the DS4.

I am glade I am not the only one that noticed this. I was trying to have some fun with the M4 and could not correct a slide to save my life and it should be a some what balanced car. Is there any way to contact Polyphony about this or is it just twitter?

As someone who plays Assetto Corsa on DS4 (with a few minor changes), GT Sport is how I want my car to handle on a pad. Playing hardcore sims on pads, you really need to get out of the habit of tapping the sticks, with constant corrections. Instead keep a nice driving line, and when it does step out, don't overcorrect too much.
"Hardcore sims" are not a generic, homogeneus group of games. They can, and do, each have their own interpretation of gamepad control, some better than others. AC is not the same as PCARS1 which is not the same as PCARS2 etc. Best to not lump games into categories and talk about them individually instead.

This. So much this.

Try driving a real car and sliding it about (or just watch in car footage of people drifting cars like the M4). The steering is all smooth and flowing rather than bouncing back and forth.

If it is causing you issues then enable some of the counter-steering aids to allow you to enjoy it more. Remember, this is a GAME and is supposed to be FUN. Using the driver aids doesn't make you 'rubbish' or soften the difficulty of the game, it's all just personal preference.

I used most of the driver aids in Pcars as I couldn't use a pad properly without them - am I ashamed of this? Narp. Did I have fun...? ..... Yarp

EDIT: I would be REALLY interested for one of the people who's complaining about the physics to try some of the aids and advise everyone if it 'fixes' it or not?

Perhaps - much like everything in this game - it's about providing the user some ability to customise the experience, rather than providing a cookie cutter that pleases some and displeases others?

I am glade I am not the only one that noticed this. I was trying to have some fun with the M4 and could not correct a slide to save my life and it should be a some what balanced car. Is there any way to contact Polyphony about this or is it just twitter?
I also messaged the beta bug tracker about this... I don't think there's any other way.

I would also like to plonk everyone in to an M4 and watch them try to boss it drifting all over the place like Ken Block. It just wouldn't happen, the skills required are hard to develop.

Not saying I could do it, I'd wipe out like the rest of the people here - much like I did when I first tried drifting the M4 in GT Sport.

It's just the fact that if I turn my controller to counter-steer, I expect the game to respond. Right now it isn't responding, and takes a good second to respond. By this time you are already spinning out :).

Back