{E3} | Electronic Entertainment Expo 2016

Given the website you're on do you find that surprising? No, nobody promised GT Sport but it was disappointing not to see it or any other new game. As I said in the GT forum, PS4 only owners are really going to have to look elsewhere for a large collection of racing games. Sony don't seem to care about them, closing one studio and not promoting the other one.

I guess I just made the mistake of thinking that after years of this, we'd be use to this by now.

I'm glad they went from game to game instead all the corny jokes and talking unlike the other conferences. Good stuff Sony. Horizon, spider man, Detroit, and god of war are the game's I'm really looking forward to. I wish horizon never got pushed back put hey at least this give them time to work on it some more.

Im still in shock that Crash is alive and not forgotten. Alright Nintendo let's see what u got tomorrow!

Yeah but no new game, just a remaster of the PS1 games and appearing in Skylanders. Somewhat disappointing.

Also still under control of Activision, rumours of Sony getting him back were not true.

There was some great reveals.

The God of War looks rather fantastic (even though I was cringing at how not-GoWish it was, despite me not being a GoW fan at all)
Death Stranding is hands-down the best reveal of E3 thus far.
Spider-Man? Looks solid.
P.T. RE VII? Kinda lame, but hasn't that always been the case with RE?
Detroit... very Cagey but that has its charm.
The Last Guardian still looks like a PS3 launch title, but it'll likely be a great game regardless... and we got a firm release date finally.

Overall I thought it was quite good. They ended the show on a particularly underwhelming note (and didn't show GTS), which is bound to color people's perception of the show as a whole though.

There's no doubt there were some interesting reveals, but nothing really piqued my interest, outside of Horizon: Zero Dawn, which I'm still gutted has been delayed.

Now, whether the lack of outright interest is down to the game I would be interested in not having a release window is a very real possibility, or it could be that I was expecting something else entirely.

Yeah but no new game, just a remaster of the PS1 games and appearing in Skylanders. Somewhat disappointing.

Also still under control of Activision, rumours of Sony getting him back were not true.

They did kinda **** on everyone there lol. Everyone started raising their hands and then next thing you know " Crash games from ps1 will be remastered. " *low amount of claps*

Resident Evil 7 is also coming to Xbox One and PC on 24th January.
Will be first person throughout.

DEMO for PS+ users tonight apparently.

They did kinda **** on everyone there lol. Everyone started raising their hands and then next thing you know " Crash games from ps1 will be remastered. " *low amount of claps*

To be fair, I kinda was expecting it myself the moment there was hints. Just hope that these remasters and the Skylanders appearance isn't Sony treating it the same way Microsoft is treating Rare's titles (Minus KI).

There's no doubt there were some interesting reveals, but nothing really piqued my interest, outside of Horizon: Zero Dawn, which I'm still gutted has been delayed.

Now, whether the lack of outright interest is down to the game I would be interested in not having a release window is a very real possibility, or it could be that I was expecting something else entirely.

It certainly does depend on personal interest, I wouldn't say it was outright bad like previous years, I did enjoy that it was just wall to wall games of some sort with no PR "Please be excited" speeches.

God Of War
The Last Guardian
Final Fantasy XV
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Detroit: Become Human
Resident Evil VII
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Call Of Duty
Spiderman
VR Games
Crash Remastered
Lego Star Wars

A lot of games no doubt but yeah, not much personally interesting to me.

I guess as someone who's opened back up to other games instead of just focusing on racing sims like I used to, its hard for me to register this as a bad conference. I honestly found many of these exciting (Although I do agree that the zombie game did look pretty much like a low budget TLOU).

Even though Horizon looks great and I already have it pre-ordered, it was probably the least exciting thing at Sony's conference. We didn't really see anything of it that we haven't basically seen already.

I guess as someone who's opened back up to other games instead of just focusing on racing sims like I used to, its hard for me to register this as a bad conference. I honestly found many of these exciting (Although I do agree that the zombie game did look pretty much like a low budget TLOU).

For me it's not that I'm just focused on racing games, it's that seemingly a lot of the genres and franchises I used to enjoy are going away or changing too much for me. As a kid I played a ton of platformers, they're nearly all gone. I love classic turn based RPGs, they're all gone. I've no idea what FF XV is supposed to be, looks like a totally different genre.

I guess I just have to accept a large chunk of gaming has mostly moved on to places I'm not interested in.

For me it's not that I'm just focused on racing games, it's that seemingly a lot of the genres and franchises I used to enjoy are going away or changing too much for me. As a kid I played a ton of platformers, they're nearly all gone. I love classic turn based RPGs, they're all gone. I've no idea what FF XV is supposed to be, looks like a totally different genre.

I guess I just have to accept a large chunk of gaming has mostly moved on to places I'm not interested in.

Oh I don't mean you in particular (and I actually agree to a extent, which is partially what made me close off to solely racing games for abit). I just mean the ones who see no racing games and instantly proclaim "Worst conference ever" based solely on that. Its like people here still can't grasp just how much the outside world could care less, or not care anywhere near as much, as us fans do.

Have you tried different games besides the ones you grew up on?

Some new stuff they didn't show at the conference...

Gravity Rush 2 Trailer:

Here They Lie:

I think that's the most impressive thing about Sony's show... despite the fact that they wasted little time blabbing and instead just focused on showing us the goods, they still left out a crapton of stuff. Quite the lineup we've got coming.

Oh I don't mean you in particular (and I actually agree to a extent, which is partially what made me close off to solely racing games for abit). I just mean the ones who see no racing games and instantly proclaim "Worst conference ever" based solely on that. Its like people here still can't grasp just how much the outside world could care less, or not care anywhere near as much, as us fans do.

True, I certainly wouldn't discount the whole conference because of it, like I said above, the presentation itself was good with no nonsense and clearly lots of games that do appeal to other people.

Have you tried different games besides the ones you grew up on?

Sure, but I'm somewhat limited by my brain in that I cannot play any first person game. They give me terrible motion sickness, as do some other games. That obviously takes a lot of choice away but I still managed to find a lot of enjoyable games on the last gen. I enjoyed most of the open world/adventure games, GTA, Red Dead, Sleeping Dogs, Uncharted, Tomb Raider etc. Rayman games were great. Mass Effect Trilogy, Arkham games.

Current gen though, there just doesn't seem to be much out there to make me buy either console. I'm still leaning more towards Xbox simply for the racing games on top of the multi-plat games I do like the look of.

I've enjoyed my Playstation consoles and games since 1997, but Sony's E3 press conferences are becoming increasingly irrelevant to my gaming preferences. Every year is another extensive showcase of games involving warrior-like characters battling all sorts of evil fantasy creatures, or something so minimally abstract that it's difficult to expect anything. Even the VR part reinforced these recurring traits. The absence of racing games is one thing, but I think Sony should demonstrate much more diversity at E3.

Not to get all miserable but I have more complaints. Those commentators immediately before and after the conference did little good for the enthusiasm I felt going into watching this thing. They were mostly annoying with their fake excitement over just about anything. Finally, the live orchestra during the conference was an unnecessary distraction from the essence.

Just had a look to see if things were as bad as it seemed they were for four wheel racers on PS4.

Project CARS
Driveclub

The Crew
Need For Speed Rivals
Need For Speed

Dirt Rally
WRC 5
Seb Loeb Rally

F1 2015

Upcoming:

F1 2016
Gran Turismo Sport
Assetto Corsa

I mean I guess it could be a lot worse but it could also be a lot better.

It certainly does depend on personal interest, I wouldn't say it was outright bad like previous years, I did enjoy that it was just wall to wall games of some sort with no PR "Please be excited" speeches.

God Of War
The Last Guardian
Final Fantasy XV
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Detroit: Become Human
Resident Evil VII
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Call Of Duty
Spiderman
VR Games
Crash Remastered
Lego Star Wars

A lot of games no doubt but yeah, not much personally interesting to me.

Glad I'm not alone. As others have said, I appreciate Sony's rapid-fire approach, as it shows they obviously have a lot of games to offer as opposed to Microsoft's more spread-out conference. But there wasn't much there that really wowed me.

• God of War was a big surprise, and I approve of them using a gameplay reveal, but it doesn't really feel like the Kratos we know.
  • Last Guardian is looking its age, and while it will no doubt be a beautiful game, and probably earn the kudos of reviewers everywhere, I doubt it'll be a big seller.
  • FFXV was already shown at MS' event.
  • I still don't get the appeal of Horizon: ZD, so I guess I'm not the target audience. It was barely different to what we were shown last year, too.
  • Detroit: Become Human intrigued me last year, and I'm now more curious.
  • Resident Evil looked like the corpse of Silent Hills...
  • ...though not as shameless a rip-off as Days Gone.
  • Call of Duty is, well, CoD. It's everywhere.
  • Spiderman, if it's like the old open-world game, could be a lot of fun. Infamous was sold on the idea of being a superhero in a GTA-style game, but nothing can stand up to the name-recognition of Spidey.
  • VR Star Wars! VR FFXV! VR a small portion of an existing game so we can crow about available titles at launch!
  • Crash remastered offered me such a quick emotional swing, it's like finding out your favourite restaurant is offering your favourite meal for free, only to get there and have them sold out. Don't get me wrong, I'll buy it, because I loved the original three games. But like you, I miss traditional platformers.
  • I respect the quality of the Lego games, but they don't do it for me.
  • Death Stranding could've (and should've) been the show-closer. The big reveal that hooked me this year.

Just had a look to see if things were as bad as it seemed they were for four wheel racers on PS4.

Project CARS
Driveclub

The Crew
Need For Speed Rivals
Need For Speed

Dirt Rally
WRC 5
Seb Loeb Rally

F1 2015

Upcoming:

F1 2016
Gran Turismo Sport
Assetto Corsa

I mean I guess it could be a lot worse but it could also be a lot better.
You're missing NASCAR Heat: Evolution in upcoming

For me the only things that appeal are the Crash remasters and Days Gone.

I would have always been very nervous about a new Crash game after Naughty Dog sold the IP and how the games got steadily worse over the PS2 era. Remastering the Naughty Dog games is for me the best way to go so if they were to recapture the magic of the late '90s with them then I'd have confidence in a whole new game. Plus Sony can only release remasters if Activision still own the rights. Perhaps if the remasters sell well Sony may go ahead a re purchase the IP.

No GT then. Again.

I wonder whats the likelihood of it getting delayed?

Seriously if it was only months from release you would think they would be showing it off in VR, err just like many other studios can do with their titles months in advance.

Possibly PC for racing sims is the place to go now and with Windows 10 / Xbox merging, you basically will get 2 system platforms in one and Xbox's top studio content.

What annoys me is how incredible some of the latest openworld games look and titles like BF4 now adding exceptional destruction and weather effects. Yet GT cant manage to even do dynamic time of day or have damage/visual effects anywhere even close.

Even FH3 technically is looking more impressive in many regards going by the latest trailer.
GT Sport could be very average but hopefully wont although it really needs to be innovative and setting a benchmark visuals/audio and racing based content.

(3 Hours sleep sorry RANT OVER)

Last edited:
Didn't see it. Why do Sony do it at that time? It is not Europe friendly, and this is the strong market for PlayStation. They don't want us to trade in for Xbox1 do they?

Even FH3 technically is looking more impressive in many regards going by the latest trailer.
GT Sport could be very average but hopefully wont although it really needs to be innovative and setting a benchmark visuals/audio and racing based content.
I'm usually the last person to come to GT's defence, but in all fairness, we don't know what hardware FH3 ran on for the presentation and what the leaked gameplay was played on. My money is on it being on quite a powerful PC. It does come with a huge map, dynamic weather and time of day which is obviously awesome, but it might have some repercussions in terms of performance - which we'll only really find out once we see a side by side comparison of the console and PC version. I'm generally quick to slam GT for stuff like this, but the two games have a distinctively different focus and, well, we'll have to wait for FM7 to find out how many of the features FH3 has over GTS are making it into T10's next circuit racer.

With all of that said, though, it's still mighty impressive to see an open world game look this good and offer more content (mostly in terms of car count and diversity as well as, quite likely, car customisation options) than a dedicated circuit racer.

As long as the physics end up decent (and I'm pretty darn sure they will), I probably won't be needing another driving/racing game for a good while with FH3 :D

Back