Eddy's PVC Rig from start to finish - (Inspired by SIMUL8R) - Now with Insturctions!

• Thread starter SlowEddy
  • 284 comments
ha, this works out great for me. have been wanting to make a rig for sometime now but have yet to seen a diy project that is simple, sturdy yet lightweight, and modular, till now. it also helps that the family business is a plumbing/sewer contractor. i think the wife might actually go for this one....

Guys, if anyone's interested, I've made a rig based on simul8r's design. If anyone wants the rig, I'm giving it away for free (everything except the car seat). All you have to do is show up and take it away. I live in Los Angeles BTW.

I've attached pictures, and sorry about the bad lighting. :)

5864713090_ef9e24a508_z.jpg

5864713128_7466b5c66c_z.jpg

Just PM me if you want it, first come first served.

What part of LA, do you live at? Im also in SoCal but in San Diego :crazy:

Ordered the PVC pipes yesterday online, it was a bit of a hassle as in my neck of woods no hardware store seems to have them in stock. What they do have is drainage pipes, but as it turned out one can't glue PP so I made a bit of a stupid move not to check this beforehand.

Cost me 150 EUR so far including glue and cutting tool (20 EUR).

I thought it would be cheaper, but I'm quite looking forward to the DIY process.

Yeah, I thought it would be cheaper too, but the result you get is priceless... A remarkably sturdy cockpit (especially if you glue it together) that you made yourself from scratch. Can't get more attached to an object than that.

If done correctly, you'll get a very functional cockpit, comparable to a commercial solution for significantly less money. So it's worth it. 👍

I'm sure it's well worth the money and with such clever design and especially the plans it's all very straight forward. In fact there seems to be quite a dedicated PVC community so this might not be my last project.

And in a way that's like building a TVR, so if I happen to find a V8 somewhere ;)

heres some other pictures (earlier this summer) of my build, thanks eddy, sim, and andretti!!

5aef5c3a.jpg

our dogs wanted to go for a "car ride"....

2e073741.jpg

and of the shifter mount.

2011-07-26114548.jpg

also had my pap machine a steering wheel adapter for me!

dfccfead.jpg

6663f2da.jpg

eventually i want to have an ebrake setup without the solder mod, someone on here did it...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=190758

i'm gonna brek it out over my at home vacation towards the end of the month into next!!!

I'm sure it's well worth the money and with such clever design and especially the plans it's all very straight forward. In fact there seems to be quite a dedicated PVC community so this might not be my last project.

And in a way that's like building a TVR, so if I happen to find a V8 somewhere ;)

my next pvc project it gonna be an electric drum kit.

I finally painted mine, after being too lazy and using it unpainted for a couple of months.

I think the seat-color combination looks awesome, if I do say so myself. :D

Before:

5577375695_6d94da033b_b.jpg

After:

6039157799_8070df5b91_b.jpg

6039154073_b50ba2fe12_b.jpg

6039155915_4381ee9c40_b.jpg

6039159523_da6bdf2a88_b.jpg

6039701928_28b92f0df6_b.jpg

Nice paint job. My pipes arrived today and I think I can skip painting as they came in matte black already. Lucky I guess. :)

Thanks. It's not really luck, I'm no plumber but from what I understand, black PVC piping is for a different application. Of course, it doesn't matter to us because we're building cockpits out of it. :D

Just finished the shifter mount.

6079902785_467108182c_b.jpg

6079900655_e656d4f80f_b.jpg

i actually joined this forum just to get ideas for a stand and thought this was one of the best layouts. took me a full day to make it, but dang its stout. ill be using an old s13 240sx seat for mine though. however i did make a few changes to the frame. i used 1.5" piping instead of the 2" like eddy used. i like to have my legs stretched while driving so i extended the connectors from front to rear half an extra 2", and on the seat rails i used a 1.5"-2" connector on the bottoms to give more support once full body weight is on the seat and it raised the seat height up anoth 3/4-1"

I think after searching for a design for a rig I have settled on this one. Many thanks to SIMUL8R and Eddy for their brilliant design.

One concern I have is the drying time for PVC cement as I have worked with this for years. I have a link here for Gorilla PVC cement and it should do the job with a drying time of 5 minutes.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=28658

Can't wait to get started and will post updates as I go.

img0195od.jpg

Just made one of these myself and painted it flat black, I must say I love it!

One thing I didn't do is include the bar on the side since I don't have a shifter for my wheel.

I've got mine all glued now and just about to cut the wood. Should be done in a few days.

Can't seem to figure out how to put a picture in. I will look around.

Hey what do you know, it worked.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Just a quick one.
Can anyone suggest an Australian or online vendor for seats?
The frame seems simple enough, just trying to work out where the seats ar sourced from??
Cheers All !!!

Last edited:
Do you have an AUTOBACS or a similar shop near you? They usually stock bucket seats in all shapes and colors.

Last edited:
Not that I can see.
Starting to get frustrated!
Living in Australia, your options are VERY limited for sim seats, they are either VERY expensive or the shipping is!
So i decide to try to build one . . . oh wait, parts come from overseas - EXPENSIVE!
I'll keep looking.

img0195od.jpg

Just made one of these myself and painted it flat black, I must say I love it!

One thing I didn't do is include the bar on the side since I don't have a shifter for my wheel.

How much did you pay for your seat? how do you like it? total price shipped? would you recommend it? where did you get it? thanks.

I have finished mine and right now haven`t done the side rail as I`m not sure I will install a shifter.

Very happy with the result and it feels rock solid.

Thanks Eddy and Sinul8tr for all of the help. I will upload pics when I can.

I'm very interested in building one of these rigs for myself. I'm a college student right now and I'm a novice when it comes to building things. Although I don't have many tools, I am able to drive up to my parents house to use theirs.

Basically, I'm wondering how difficult will this be to build for a novice like myself. I honestly would enjoy the challenge as a hobby while in school, but I want to make sure its something I am able to build correctly before investing my limited time and money.

Amazing drawings and information here! Thanks for taking the time to do all of this. I do have a question though (well I have a bunch...but, just one for now).

You don't show the shifter mount arm (the long angled one that goes the length of the cockpit) in your drawings. Can you provide the info for that?

Thanks again!

t.

Awesome ideal!! built this to use originally for racing, but thought it would be great for all around gaming.
pics with eyefinity to come.

Been following this thread for a while as been trying to decide on what type of rig to try and build.
So i'm going to finally start getting the bits together and get my arse in gear.

After seeing everyone else's builds:) and the personal changes:tup: that they have made to Eddy's and SIMUL8R's rigs, it's given me some good ideas for how i want mine too look.

Back