Elite: Dangerous

• Thread starter marky5244
  • 749 comments
I'd be doing that myself if I wasn't busy trying to level up the other lot.

Actually now that I think about it.. I do like the look of imperial ships...

My opinion, they are definitely a lot tougher, especially anything deadly/dangerous/elite.
This had scared me. I got interdicted last night and noticed that the guy was Deadly so at first I started to just run away. Turns out I just couldn't as he would stay on my tail regardless. So after a bit of getting shot I realized he wasn't doing too much damage so I decided to turn around and fight. I ended up with the win, luckily due to the 2 ships that came in and backed me up, and distracted him. It was great fun though, nonetheless!

The game was slow to start for me, and I was starting to wonder if it was worth it, but after picking up a better ship it has all changed. I'm really getting into dogfights, and I interdict as often as I can :lol:

You should buy all your ships and modules in systems controlled by Li Yong Rui, they are all 15% off. As far as locations, Fisher Port in LP 128-9 has a good selection of ships and modules. Also Diaguandri, Pikum, and Lembava have great ships and outfitting. All of the above are in Li Yong Rui controlled systems, you don't have to be pledged to him or anything, it's 15% off for everyone, unless it's a contested system, but none of those are.

https://m.reddit.com/r/EliteSirius/comments/3x281h/list_of_ships_in_stock_at_a_handful_of_lyr/

That's a list there, it's older and might not be 100% accurate. I know Ising Dock in 109 piscium doesn't have ships anymore, I used to store my cobra there and last I checked they were all gone.
Thanks. I haven't been able to find any good grade multicannons or pulse lasers up till now.

Well, looks like they heard all the complaints. They are removing almost all of the engineered mods from the AI.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=257892
Good to know, but me being so new I havn't experienced it too much yet. I have ran into a couple of guys that down my shield in one shot and proceed to obliterate me in a few seconds, but ever since your post I try to avoid the higher ranks.

On a side note, I had a mission to destroy 6 enemy faction ships in a conflict/war area. I had went in and shot one, and got absolutely nailed on by about 15 others :lol: is there a way to safely get around that?

On a side note, I had a mission to destroy 6 enemy faction ships in a conflict/war area. I had went in and shot one, and got absolutely nailed on by about 15 others :lol: is there a way to safely get around that?

Nope. Lol. Once you attack one side, they all turn on you. It's best to get one or two kills and exit, I've been able to stay in and get multiples in my FDL at times. Sometimes its easier, and you can take on one at a time without them ganging up on you, and sometimes you get ganged up on. It's best to target the easier kills, like Eagles etc, instead of the more powerful ships.

Nope. Lol. Once you attack one side, they all turn on you. It's best to get one or two kills and exit, I've been able to stay in and get multiples in my FDL. Sometimes it easier, and you can take on one at a time without them ganging up on you, and sometimes you get ganged up on. It's best to target the easier kills, like Eagles etc, instead of the more powerful ships.
Ah, I figured as much. I tried being very selective, and I'd wait for one to stray from the pack, but as time went on more and more just started popping up on my radar. The radar got so packed up with blips that it was hard to even follow. I've never died so fast! :lol:

Good to know, but me being so new I havn't experienced it too much yet. I have ran into a couple of guys that down my shield in one shot and proceed to obliterate me in a few seconds, but ever since your post I try to avoid the higher ranks.

Team up with some friends and do it together?

Cash Money

All I know is I made a ton of money since this update, I love it. Lately I have been piggy-backing Trading Missions on the mission board with Commodities trading. Example, I accept a mission for 697K to run 60t of Gold to Aphra, my cargo capacity in the Type 7 is 212t, so I fill up the rest of my hold with Gold or another commodity I know I can sell and I'm off. Usually these are 1 jump or 2 jump runs that take 10 minutes and can make 800-900K. Sometimes I am running more than one mission, I will take on $588,000 trading mission and a $342,000, let's say Cobalt to one and Silver to another. My left over cargo space usually gets divided between the two commodities to piggyback earnings at each station. Through Sunday my original cash flow projection was 22 million, my actual earnings were 28 million.

One odd thing happened, I saw a trading mission for 2.8 million 35 ly away, minimum trading rank was Tycoon but I am only a Broker, it let me accept it anyway, not sure if glitch but I was sure happy :D

As far as the overpowered AI is concerned, I ran into very little of that issue, I also did not get interdicted very much; if anything, I was getting interdicted far more before the update. I did run into one Elite Eagle with supreme weapons, some kind of hyper-railgun, I was dog fighting in my Viper at the time, all I heard was Jenny say 'run Forest!' and I did, I ran as fast as I could, Jenny

Community Missions are awesome

I decide to give one of these a go, I participated in the Ngolibardu bounty hunt event. My first session was at the nav beacon, no big deal I made about 180K in about 30 minutes and had to leave to go do something. Later that night in my 2nd session I went to a Extraction site (high) and just absolutely crushed my previous 1 hour record of 800K.....I made a whopping 1.8 million. The Pirate ship sets were ridiculous, Anacondas, Pythons, Fer De Lances but I had a whole posse of Federation ships on my side. Boom, explosion, $199K made, Boom, Explosion, $211K made and on an on, I was rattling them off like Popsicles from a ice cream truck on a sunny, hot weekend afternoon. Still can't believe I made 1.8 million dogfighting in just one hour.....

So I quickly found myself in the top 25% on the leaderboard which put me at about 2.25 million in prize money + Global rewards after the event closes. Last night it closed and I made 16 million total, I couldn't believe my eyes, I rubbed them to make sure the figure I was seeing was real. I had 30 million before and sure enough, that total is now 46 million. It's safe to say I will be doing plenty more of these community events!

2 more questions. :lol:

What is the data you sometimes get from scanning ships used for? Like it says you have abnormal shield data or something.

Also at I Bootis nav beacon there is a grey square on the radar but I have no clue what it is.

2 more questions. :lol:

What is the data you sometimes get from scanning ships used for? Like it says you have abnormal shield data or something.

Also at I Bootis nav beacon there is a grey square on the radar but I have no clue what it is.

I think the data has something to do with the Engineer Mods coming with the Horizons DLC.

Fly over to the gray square and select it to see what it is, it's usually either the nav beacon itself, a FSD wake left by a departing ship, or a cargo canister that can be scooped when your cargo scoop is deployed, which you then can sell in the Black Market.

Cash Money

All I know is I made a ton of money since this update, I love it. Lately I have been piggy-backing Trading Missions on the mission board with Commodities trading. Example, I accept a mission for 697K to run 60t of Gold to Aphra, my cargo capacity in the Type 7 is 212t, so I fill up the rest of my hold with Gold or another commodity I know I can sell and I'm off. Usually these are 1 jump or 2 jump runs that take 10 minutes and can make 800-900K. Sometimes I am running more than one mission, I will take on $588,000 trading mission and a $342,000, let's say Cobalt to one and Silver to another. My left over cargo space usually gets divided between the two commodities to piggyback earnings at each station. Through Sunday my original cash flow projection was 22 million, my actual earnings were 28 million.

One odd thing happened, I saw a trading mission for 2.8 million 35 ly away, minimum trading rank was Tycoon but I am only a Broker, it let me accept it anyway, not sure if glitch but I was sure happy :D

As far as the overpowered AI is concerned, I ran into very little of that issue, I also did not get interdicted very much; if anything, I was getting interdicted far more before the update. I did run into one Elite Eagle with supreme weapons, some kind of hyper-railgun, I was dog fighting in my Viper at the time, all I heard was Jenny say 'run Forest!' and I did, I ran as fast as I could, Jenny

Community Missions are awesome

I decide to give one of these a go, I participated in the Ngolibardu bounty hunt event. My first session was at the nav beacon, no big deal I made about 180K in about 30 minutes and had to leave to go do something. Later that night in my 2nd session I went to a Extraction site (high) and just absolutely crushed my previous 1 hour record of 800K.....I made a whopping 1.8 million. The Pirate ship sets were ridiculous, Anacondas, Pythons, Fer De Lances but I had a whole posse of Federation ships on my side. Boom, explosion, $199K made, Boom, Explosion, $211K made and on an on, I was rattling them off like Popsicles from a ice cream truck on a sunny, hot weekend afternoon. Still can't believe I made 1.8 million dogfighting in just one hour.....

So I quickly found myself in the top 25% on the leaderboard which put me at about 2.25 million in prize money + Global rewards after the event closes. Last night it closed and I made 16 million total, I couldn't believe my eyes, I rubbed them to make sure the figure I was seeing was real. I had 30 million before and sure enough, that total is now 46 million. It's safe to say I will be doing plenty more of these community events!
The bulletin board missions aren't locked by your rank anymore, if it sayss elite or tycoon, that's a recommendation. What unlocks a lot of the missions is your reputation with the faction giving the mission. If you become friendly or allied with a faction at the station, you get much better missions. That and some of the missions are locked for cargo capacity purpose. That's what I gathered from reading on it.

I think the data has something to do with the Engineer Mods coming with the Horizons DLC.

Fly over to the gray square and select it to see what it is, it's usually either the nav beacon itself, a FSD wake left by a departing ship, or a cargo canister that can be scooped when your cargo scoop is deployed, which you then can sell in the Black Market.
Just realised it's often my own FSD wake lol.

Well I decided against an anaconda. After doing a bunch of research on it, it's just not practical for me. I won't use it for trading, as the cutter hauls way more. I already have 2 capable ships for exploring. That really just leaves combat. From what I read, it's slow, had trouble chasing ships and is just not really what I need. Sure it has crazy firepower and shields, but It's not worth for me to a rate one just for combat, when an FDL is cheaper and a lot more fun. So....

I A rated a python instead. :). It doesn't have quite the firepower, or shields as an anaconda. but it's faster and better at catching ships, and it can be set up to do a lot of things. This is my loadout as of now, this cost around 220 mill:

image.png

image.png

image.png

I have it setup for multi-role/combat. The collection limpets are for materials for engineers that enemies are dropping, the 6A fuel scoop scoops 848 per second, and wake scanner for data scans on wakes. I also kept 64T cargo rack for bulletin board missions, and carrying collector limpets etc. I can replace the scoop, FSD interdictor, cargo rack, and limpets all with hull reinforcement packages to do straight battle at Haz RES sites. Maybe even a couple shield cell banks.

The 2 medium and 2 large pulse lasers, I have on one trigger, and I can shoot them almost non stop the power holds up so well. I have the multi cannon on left trigger. Should be a great multi purpose ship.

I now have an A rated FDL, A rated asp explorer, A rated python, A rated cobra, and an imperial cutter for trade. I may upgrade some parts on the cutter, but they are super expensive and don't know if it's worth it, just to add to the rebuy on a ship I won't use much for combat. I want to buy and A rate a Federal Assault Ship and a vulture yet for sure, and maybe a Imperial Clipper. That shouldn't be that bad. I can do the Vulture and FAS for 115 million. Then I should have the ships I want.

Maybe some day I'll get an anaconda, or a corvette, I just don't see me using them that much for that kind of money. We shall see I guess.

Edit: I did try one of those outfitting places in Li Yong Ruis systems that I haven't tried before, in Diaguandri. I bought my python there and they had all the 5A,6A and 7A rarer modules in one place. I need to find a place down here in imperial country that has great outfitting to move all my ships to. The place I'm at now, doesn't have the best outfitting, and it's a pain to switch out parts because I have to hop several systems. Id like to have them all available at the station where I store my ships, so I'll be doing some recon here until I find a suitable place.

Last edited:
I generally don't like to have 2 different weapon types for shields and armour. I just fire everything at once.

I generally don't like to have 2 different weapon types for shields and armour. I just fire everything at once.
On larger ships with a lot of hardpoints, you'll drain all of your weapon power if you constantly fire lasers. I like to keep one weapon that's straight for hull damage, or maybe one powerful one that may not be the most accurate, but for when your right up on a large ship and can't miss. They do great damage while targeting subsystems. Generally lasers are better against shields, and kinetics are better against hulls, plasma against both.

On all my ships my main go to weapons are gimballed pulse lasers. That new 4A multi cannon is a beast, you can get it fixed or gimballed. I have it on my FDL. The 4a plasma accelerator is punishing, but it's hard to hit small ships at any distance. It does equal damage to shields and hull, but consumes a lot of your weapon power. There's also a gimballed B4 cannon, it does massive damage to hulls, but it's also better used against large ships. I've tried all those on my FDL.

On larger ships, you'll drain all the power of you constantly fire lasers. I like to keep one weapon that's straight for hull damage, or maybe one powerful one that may not be the most accurate, but for when your right up on a large ship and can't miss, they'd great damage, or if you're targeting subsystems. They do a lot of damage.

On all my ships my main go to weapons are gimballed pulse lasers. That new 4A multi cannon is a beast, you can get it fixed or gimballed. I have it on my FDL. The 4a plasma accelerator is punishing, but it's hard to hit small ships at any distance. It does equal damage to shields and hull, but consumes a lot of your weapon power. There's also a gimballed B4 cannon, it does massive damage to hulls, but it's also better used against large ships. I've tried all those on my FDL.
Well if it was purely for fighting I would go all fixed multicannons. I only use pulse lasers to boost my profits.

Be careful with those grey rectangles. As when ships drop cargo, sometimes its a lure from pirates. And I found out the hard way when i dropped in and a load of ships all opened fire on me. It was in Recua near Synteini.

My FDL has the huge plasma and 3 plasma and 2 multi canon. I'm going to keep my anaconda as upgrading to a type 9 is not worth it, profit is not enough to justify losing weapons and armour rating of a bigger ship. Plus its the best trading vessel unless you can afford the Cutter or the Federal Corvette which both require high ranks. Anaconda doesn't require any ranking.

Rest assured I do want to some time buy back the Clipper which I have sold twice now. I'll need to build up my rank to Duke so I can buy the Cutter or the Fed Corvette one day. The FDL will continue to be my sole Combat ship for powerplay. I sold the FDL once and now I've bought it back. i don't really want to sell it again.

Last edited:
Auto-docking computer.. you had one job!

You have to watch that docking computer, especially on big ships it can get you in trouble. It's funny watching it try to dock my Cutter, sometimes it goes wacky.

They just started live streaming the Xbox one horizons pre-launch release on YouTube:

I'm super excited to explore planets and do engineering misisons. I've been stocking up on rare crafting materials. :)

Edit: damn I was hoping we could get it at midnight, we have to wait until 10 am pacific time tomorrow. :lol:

360 mb update is all we need, well and 30 dollars lol

I can't wait for tomorrow, it's going to be awesome!

Had the graphic glitch last night, whole gameplay session was a bit buggy but I still had plenty of fun. There wasn't many good delivery missions spawning for large ships, so I jump into my Asp Explorer and made some rounds instead. I'm thinking about heading out to one of the discount stations tonight and picking up a FDL. It's only 41 million. From what I've heard, the best two systems are Lembava (Goldstein Port) and Diaguandri (Ray Gateway), everything is 15% off there and they have 6A, 7A modules for outfitting. Wish I would've made my home system, maybe I will migrate my fleet there one day.

For you Imperial folks, I heard Beta-1 Tucanae is the best station for outfitting.

For you Imperial folks, I heard Beta-1 Tucanae is the best station for outfitting.

That's weird, someone told me this morning Beta-2 Tucanae was the best! :lol: I checked it out and they do have a lot of stuff. They didn't have military/reactive/mirrored hull upgrades though. There's a Beta-3 Tucanae too.

I think Ray Gateway I'm Diaguandri is the best one I've found, they had everything plus the 15% off. A guy told me Golstein Port in Lembava is the other one he checks.

Who actually uses auto dock though? It wastes a slot.

It's not much of a slot at all, and if you go on multiple hour trade grinds landing at stations every 10 minutes, you'll be using a docking computer too, trust me. You can have the convenience and ease of a docking computer, or a whopping 4t capacity cargo rack. :sly:

Hey I just started, give me a break :P I barely found out yesterday that there was alternate flight controls, so it made manual docking a lot easier :lol: I've since removed it for a hull upgrade.

Hey I just started, give me a break :P I barely found out yesterday that there was alternate flight controls, so it made manual docking a lot easier :lol: I've since removed it for a hull upgrade.

I've been paying this game for I think 3 months now and I'm still learning new stuff everyday, I still haven't done half of the event types, Checkpoints, Distress calls, The: "hey follow me" requests other ships make to you and now we will have several planet landings, fire base stuff, Engineers stuff etc. This is a deep, deep game.

One tip I have for dog fighting is to remember to use your right analog stick too, if you are locked in a loop with an enemy and are having trouble getting behind them then pull down on the right stick in conjunction with the left stick and you will get behind them in a hurry, Use right and left Yaw on the right stick too and you will maneuver much faster. THe day I learned that it made dogfighting much more efficient and fun.

I've been paying this game for I think 3 months now and I'm still learning new stuff everyday, I still haven't done half of the event types, Checkpoints, Distress calls, The: "hey follow me" requests other ships make to you and now we will have several planet landings, fire base stuff, Engineers stuff etc. This is a deep, deep game.
I'm about a week in and I'm still juts kind of aimlessly wandering, and taking in the game. Recently I've been checking out the multiple source signals you encounter to see what's up with those, and like @prousonhairy mentioned, one was a booby-trap set by pirates :lol: I hightailed it out of there. I tried to take on some mining missions, but I have no idea how to find out where to get the specific material. Is there locations? or do you just mine an asteroid and hope it falls out? :lol: Only other missions I've done is deliveries and some of those bounty ones.

One tip I have for dog fighting is to remember to use your right analog stick too, if you are locked in a loop with an enemy and are having trouble getting behind them then pull down on the right stick in conjunction with the left stick and you will get behind them in a hurry, Use right and left Yaw on the right stick too and you will maneuver much faster. THe day I learned that it made dogfighting much more efficient and fun.
You know, I was figuring that might be the case about the right stick, but at the time of my testing I didn't realize that staying in the blue also helped, so I wasn't getting the best test results from the get go. I had a hunch, though! Thanks for the assurance.

I'm about a week in and I'm still juts kind of aimlessly wandering, and taking in the game. Recently I've been checking out the multiple source signals you encounter to see what's up with those, and like @prousonhairy mentioned, one was a booby-trap set by pirates :lol: I hightailed it out of there. I tried to take on some mining missions, but I have no idea how to find out where to get the specific material. Is there locations? or do you just mine an asteroid and hope it falls out? :lol: Only other missions I've done is deliveries and some of those bounty ones.

You know, I was figuring that might be the case about the right stick, but at the time of my testing I didn't realize that staying in the blue also helped, so I wasn't getting the best test results from the get go. I had a hunch, though! Thanks for the assurance.

I only tried mining once but I sucked at it, someday I will watch a tutorial on youtube and give it another go, smuggling too. I did get an achievement a few nights ago, I bought some Battle Weapons not realizing they were "illicit Cargo" in my home system (if you get caught, you will be fined). I flew into my home station and somehow did not get scanned, forgot there was no Black Market and had to leave to another station, somehow I did not get scanned when leaving, then I went to another large station, not an outpost, that had a black market and landed without getting scanned, and sold the cargo for very large profit margin. Then I received two achievements at once. I know Smuggling can be very profitable if you're good, I was in my type 7 at the time too, not the most maneuverable ship lol

I do since I got bigger ship with more cargo space. I just can't stand how slowly they turn. I bought a Docking Computer rather than sell the barge in a tub of lard and get back into something a bit nippier.

Ok so I'm getting my times messed up. It's 10 am BST we can download it. Which is 5am eastern, 4am my time, and 2am for you west coasters. I guess I'm getting up early. It will be like Xmas morning. :)

Ok so I'm getting my times messed up. It's 10 am BST we can download it. Which is 5am eastern, 4am my time, and 2am for you west coasters. I guess I'm getting up early. It will be like Xmas morning. :)

That's 2AM my time, I'll be asleep lol, I'll have to get to it sometime after work tomorrow. Plus I have The Crew to play this weekend, going to try to win the Ferrari F40 in the latest Summit (tournament) which will close on Sunday. I wish I could take tomorrow off, but I'll be down at least one person already so that's not an option. At least it will be the weekend!

Back