Elite: Dangerous

• Thread starter marky5244
  • 749 comments
It's nice to get a choice of rewards from passenger missions and the normal missions.

They were announced for wing missions with other missions later but they have them now. Handy way to collect some engineering stuff.

Overall I'm looking forward to the update when it drops on PS4.

3.0 update arrives on the 27th of February.

I can start playing again then. I tried 2.4 after the beta on PC ended and I just couldn't play it anymore. 3.0 is so much better.

3.0 update arrives on the 27th of February.

I can start playing again then. I tried 2.4 after the beta on PC ended and I just couldn't play it anymore. 3.0 is so much better.
Great news. Looking forward to see the planetary improvements on my exploration trip to Sag A

10.7 gb update. And they've cocked up gyroscope headlook. :banghead:

It looks a lot nicer now but I NEED that headlook to work properly.​

oh really? :crazy:

I haven't had the chance yet to try the new update. Hopefully I can get some time in tonight.

I bought this for £8 on Xbox via the Gold discounts. Worth a punt for that little.

VXR
I bought this for £8 on Xbox via the Gold discounts. Worth a punt for that little.
Full version with Horizons or just the base version? If it is the latter buy Horizons (provided you find you like playing the game that is).

Full version with Horizons or just the base version? If it is the latter buy Horizons (provided you find you like playing the game that is).

I was thinking of buying Elite Dangerous myself as I have fond memories of playing the original back in the day..
What's the difference between base and Horizon ?

I was thinking of buying Elite Dangerous myself as I have fond memories of playing the original back in the day..
What's the difference between base and Horizon ?
Moon landings and SRV's, Engineers, the Dolphin (my personal favourite ship) and the Chieftain. That's what I'm sure about.

Some aspects of other things I'm not sure about like fighters, AI crew and crewmates I think.

The next two updates are said to be free to Horizons owners. No idea what they are though.

There is nothing wrong with the base version if your memories are of the original 80's game though.

The only rule is to practice docking. A lot. Then some more. Even if you intend to use a docking computer. Seriously. Practice docking.

VXR
Lol, I spent an hour of the free trial many moons ago, just trying to launch.
Launch? I take it that was from a planetary base. Lift off, nose up, retract undercarriage, boost until no longer mass locked, hit frame shift drive and orientate on the blue escape trajectory.

Beyond Chapter 2 download available now. 3 point something GB. Two new ships plus some other stuff.

Thread for this excellent game rescued from page 7.

I played some Elite a couple of weeks ago, it had been a long time. I was amazed that I was able to pick back up the controls so quickly, it was almost like I had never left, just like riding a bike, even went and did some combat stuff, it was fun all over again. I really need to get back into playing this, problem is I have too many new games to play and not enough time.

I wonder when they will be adding planets with atmospheres, I can't wait for that feature.

I played for the first time in a few months the other day. I took on some thargoids. I couldn’t figure out why I wasn’t damaging them. I actually held up pretty good for a longg time, then I had to bail. I did some research and found out you need special weapons. I turned the game off at that point.

Chapter 4 will be available to download on the 11th of December. Mining and Exploring are to main things.

I've been quite busy since Thursday evening.

Elite Dangerous_20181209183200.jpg

Gerr. :grumpy: what kind of Dev adds loads of new controls in a game and then doesn't set up key binds for them? :banghead:

Last evening was spent getting kicked from the server, detail scanning my home base (Altair) one planet three times due to kicks and then working out extra control binds (between kicks)

Now I've got my username attached as both discoverer of Altair - there wasn't one before - and first scanned. ;)

I haven't even tried mining yet. That will be this evening's entertainment. :lol:

I’m really liking the new ‘gold rush’ feeling they added with mining. Once I get to the core and over to Colonia I may spend some time out there and setup a mining ship and do some mining in beauty.

Also as someone who mostly plays for the exploration, holy damn this update was amazing.

Elite Dangerous is £8.99 in the PSN January sale. Horizons is also £8.99 for anyone who doesn't have it. The Commander Edition, which has Horizons and some paints for some of the small ships is £14.99.

I'm finishing up on my Dolphin build ahead of Distant Worlds 2 on the 13th of January. It is estimated that it will take five months to get to Beagle Point via Sag. A. No plans for the return leg but I'm hoping it will be via Colonia.

Last edited:
the new mining is crazy profitable at the moment, I filled 128 cargo slot and 10 refinery slots with void opals and this was the payout. 212 million plus another 16 million once the cargo bay emptied and the 10 void opals in the refinery got processed. I'm now going to buy an anaconda for exploration I think.
20181224122107_1.jpg

Well i followed through with what i said about getting an exploraconda. I got the guardian FSD boost and a level 5 engineer boost and now this thing can jump a huge 67LY!:eek::eek:
20181226175137_1.jpg

That's insane. I had an exploreConda for awhile but nowhere near that jump range. I think it was in the low 50's, I could've gotten more out of the jump range if I dropped the ship bay and planetary vehicle bay but I like landing on planets, mining a little, and using the little fighter ship to scout things when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. I breaks up the monotony of endless jumps.

That's insane. I had an exploreConda for awhile but nowhere near that jump range. I think it was in the low 50's, I could've gotten more out of the jump range if I dropped the ship bay and planetary vehicle bay but I like landing on planets, mining a little, and using the little fighter ship to scout things when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. I breaks up the monotony of endless jumps.
I did keep my planetary vehicle bay but i dropped everything else lol. I downgraded thrusters, enginer lightened my sensors, switched to a 3a shield, using smallest power plant and distributor i can get away with and dropped any kind of repair limpits lol. I'm currently out in the black about 4000ly from sol. So far only had 1 accident at a brown dwarf but still on 100% hull.

Guardian FSD booster 5H gives you an extra 10.5 LY range. My Dolphin maxes out at 63 LY with one.

I still has plenty of money left over after I made that anaconda so I decided I needed a better combat ship than the vulture I had. So after a full week of grinding federation missions between Sothis and Ceos, I finally have a federal corvette! And what a ship it is them 2 huge hard points melt anything that dares look at you the wrong way. I am still in the process of engineer modding everything but it already has 2,200 shield with high resistance on most stuff and I havn't really touched the shield boosters I have on it yet. One poor anaconda made a bad decision to interdict me I gladly submitted and destroyed him before he had even taken one ring of shield from me lol.
20190113174927_1.jpg

100 jumps over 5.5K in DW2 to the Omega Sector waypoint. The PSS is a real time sink. Without scanning that would take two hours at most. With the PSS. Seven hours. I'm 12% towards Elite in exploration. 88% to go. I will NEVER use the PSS again once it is done.

I still has plenty of money left over after I made that anaconda so I decided I needed a better combat ship than the vulture I had. So after a full week of grinding federation missions between Sothis and Ceos, I finally have a federal corvette! And what a ship it is them 2 huge hard points melt anything that dares look at you the wrong way. I am still in the process of engineer modding everything but it already has 2,200 shield with high resistance on most stuff and I havn't really touched the shield boosters I have on it yet. One poor anaconda made a bad decision to interdict me I gladly submitted and destroyed him before he had even taken one ring of shield from me lol.
View attachment 792350

I love my Vette but it's almost like cheating when it's fully engineered with shield boosters and hull reinforcements. Enjoy it! That thing is a beast.

Back