Engine soundtrack?

If you want to go that way, word of advise, write it in Japanese; in full.

Ok, open call does anyone speak fluent Japanese...no wait they need to satisfy us, the customers. If we were trying to sell them something then yes we speak in their tongue...well I don't know, I think that they need to open up more direct lines of communication, hire people to sit and chat with I don't 50 randomly selected people a day like maybe 3 or 4 days a month and screen out the bad suggestions and report the good ones or the most frequently requested ones to the development team that way they get filtered info that doesnt take up much of their time.

To be honest, i think you should reconsider your position as a consumer, as well as gain a better understanding of the Japanese way of thinking and doing business.

Don't take this the wrong way, i do thing PD needs a little kick in the ass, especially after seeing the amount of stuff FOrza2 is bringing to the table, but a petition is not the way to go against Japanese philosophy. Instead, opening consumer/developper relation officially with PD would be a lot better. Unfortunately, unless you have about 20hours a week to spare, as well as speak Fluent japanese (oh, write as well...). I wouldn't bother.

To be honest, i think you should reconsider your position as a consumer, as well as gain a better understanding of the Japanese way of thinking and doing business.

Don't take this the wrong way, i do thing PD needs a little kick in the ass, especially after seeing the amount of stuff FOrza2 is bringing to the table, but a petition is not the way to go against Japanese philosophy. Instead, opening consumer/developper relation officially with PD would be a lot better. Unfortunately, unless you have about 20hours a week to spare, as well as speak Fluent japanese (oh, write as well...). I wouldn't bother.

how do you know all this? just curious :)

how do you know all this? just curious :)

I work in the industry. Can't say much more then that (NDA stuff) unfortunately.
Of course, this being the internet and all... Anyhow, i love the Japanese culture (practice Iaido and Aikido under a japanese teacher, took Japanese classes (not very good at it yet) and all that stuff. Their world is incredibly different then ours. Like emerging on the side of a black Hole almost. ;)

But seriously, I think PD has an official Representative for the Americas market (as opposed to going through Sony). Might be a good idea to look that way.

Ok, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Japanese culture, but if they want to stay the dominant power in the tech market of the western world they need to continue to adapt their products for other cultures. Buyers do not have to "rethink" their positions, we make the demands, besides PD has American reps. who can speak English and Japanese, just like Sony does. It really would not be that hard to open up communication or even open up some sort of avenue to make suggestions.

Ok, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Japanese culture, but if they want to stay the dominant power in the tech market of the western world they need to continue to adapt their products for other cultures. Buyers do not have to "rethink" their positions, we make the demands, besides PD has American reps. who can speak English and Japanese, just like Sony does. It really would not be that hard to open up communication or even open up some sort of avenue to make suggestions.

im with you there! although I may think that there is something wrong with Japanese culture, at least the industrial part if they can't take criticism (spell?).

This discussion is very interesting.
For a great example of a true next-gen sound engine, check out F1 CE PS3.
The dev's take advantage of Cell to calculate how the volume (db's) from the engine travel distances, hitting objects, how they reverb, echo, etc, affect the sound. In the past it was mostly faked. Going through the tunnel at Monaco with the V8 screaming at 19,000 rpms is an ogasmic experience btw.

The GT dev's already have good enough samples, they are translating it into a more advance level. The engine samples were actually quite compressed in all previous GT's, because of lack of processing power and storage.

If we look at stock mufflers on road legal cars, its quite restrictive in its design. Its purpose is to obviously cancel most the raw engine notes, so that the overall noise level is under 90db's (for most countries). GT's aim has always tried to simulate this. Unlike other games that try to add sfx, or record cars with aftermarket exhaust.
The fact is, most stock cars don't sound that intresting, or loud.
The main issue is, in all GT's, when you upgraded your exhaust system on most of the cars, you were getting interpretations. Its very time consuming to remove mufflers for hundreds of cars. Of course they also recorded some cars with aftermarket exhaust, or straight pipes when they could.

My main complaint is, they did not truely simulate the loudness levels between different exhaust systems/cars. From stock, to exteme loud F1.
For example, an F1 car at full trottle is approximately 150db! Just to give you an idea, a shot gun being fired is only about 130db.
In real life, if you drove an F1 car in a field of loud civics without mufflers, the F1 car would still overdrown them all. But not in GT.

I already know that he is imbarassed about the sounds, and for sure they are working on something new. GT HD is already a big improvement by using higher sampling rate. But you must have a good audio system to appreciate the differences.
GT HD is only the start, the new sound engine in the next version will be what the PS3 is capable of, like the story I told you of F1 CE.

Please discuss.
Dan.

This discussion is very interesting.
For a great example of a true next-gen sound engine, check out F1 CE PS3.
The dev's take advantage of Cell to calculate how the volume (db's) from the engine travel distances, hitting objects, how they reverb, echo, etc, affect the sound. In the past it was mostly faked. Going through the tunnel at Monaco with the V8 screaming at 19,000 rpms is an ogasmic experience btw.

The GT dev's already have good enough samples, they are translating it into a more advance level. The engine samples were actually quite compressed in all previous GT's, because of lack of processing power and storage.

If we look at stock mufflers on road legal cars, its quite restrictive in its design. Its purpose is to obviously cancel most the raw engine notes, so that the overall noise level is under 90db's (for most countries). GT's aim has always tried to simulate this. Unlike other games that try to add sfx, or record cars with aftermarket exhaust.
The fact is, most stock cars don't sound that intresting, or loud.
The main issue is, in all GT's, when you upgraded your exhaust system on most of the cars, you were getting interpretations. Its very time consuming to remove mufflers for hundreds of cars. Of course they also recorded some cars with aftermarket exhaust, or straight pipes when they could.

My main complaint is, they did not truely simulate the loudness levels between different exhaust systems/cars. From stock, to exteme loud F1.
For example, an F1 car at full trottle is approximately 150db! Just to give you an idea, a shot gun being fired is only about 130db.
In real life, if you drove an F1 car in a field of loud civics without mufflers, the F1 car would still overdrown them all. But not in GT.

I already know that he is imbarassed about the sounds, and for sure they are working on something new. GT HD is already a big improvement by using higher sampling rate. But you must have a good audio system to appreciate the differences.
GT HD is only the start, the new sound engine in the next version will be what the PS3 is capable of, like the story I told you of F1 CE.

Please discuss.
Dan.

Where did you read/hear about this?

that GT are putting an effort to improve the sounds, i've hadn't seen it happen before. After GT2 it's been downhill i think :grumpy:

We will know soon enough.

Its not the samples, its they way it is mixed. All we are hearing in GTHD are the same sound code engine, but at higher sampling rate.
Even Forza 2 doesn't sound that impressive IMO. Particularly the sound when down shifting.
We will have to wait until GT5P. Don't loose hope fellas.

Btw, I have driven/listened a lot of different cars, and my close friend works at an exhaust centre. We were recently reving a S2K that had dual HKS Hiper exhaust stationary without any engine load, and then we did a drive by and it sounded like a completely different beast.
You could still tell it had the same tone, but just beefed up. So if PD mix it right, they could get quite close, without having to put the cars on dyno and record it.

Let us not forget that the sound you are hearing in GT4 is what these cars sound like from *inside* them. One of the first things I thought when I picked up the game was "that VW Bug doesn't sound anything like a Bug!". But actually GT4 *does* sound like the VW Bug when you're in the Bug with the windows rolled up! In fact, it is extremely accurate in that case.

So remember that cars sound much different from the inside one with the windows rolled up than they do from right behind the exhaust...

I'd prefer hearing the sounds from outside even if i'm in "cockpit" mode. That's a personal taste tho.

If a Ferrari doesn't rip my ears up and gets them bleeding when pushing the engine to 9,000, its not worth it ;)

I'd prefer hearing the sounds from outside even if i'm in "cockpit" mode. That's a personal taste tho.

If a Ferrari doesn't rip my ears up and gets them bleeding when pushing the engine to 9,000, its not worth it ;)

I can tell with all onesty that in real life, windows down, stock Ferrari exhaust, not even close to ear bleeding, not that loud at all, just a nice tone.
There is a lot of misinformation, probaly because of ignorance here.
Stock supercars are not that loud. With windows up, you loose a lot of the raw sounds too. GT is accurate in this way.

get in the car...rev
look back...rev..
looking back the revs are louder....

I must agree with the post above....gt sounds are good. Just that your in the car with windows up....wait what bout convertables...

Back