Estimate GT Sport sales

• Thread starter Earth
  • 869 comments

How many copies will GT Sport sell?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was disallowing variants in both cases. That's where the confusion may have come in.
Maybe, but I still confused myself on the year.

I agree with you, it is exactly what they needed to do and it definitely has more content, well at least more tracks. It gets frustrating to see people constantly complain about GT Sport and PD while conveniently ignoring the faults of other developers. PD released a stable polished game, has been making constant updates and have released new cars all within a month of their release date.
To be honest, I don't think anyone is conveniently ignoring the faults, but more so this is a part of the forum that is for GTS. It doesn't make much sense to bring in every other game when talking about GTS in a GTS specific thread. Although, that's not to say that it doesn't happen from time to time.

I do agree though, PD does seem like they have stepped it up this iteration.

I'm not quite out of the loop. I just have a different opinion than you.

I play and love Assetto Corsa, but they have released less than 150 cars not including variants since the release of the game. It is hard not to imagine that GT Sport will have that many by the end of next year.

I also play Project Cars 2 and have been racing in it for a couple of hour this morning even. While it is true that the racing experience can be completely immersive and has the potential to be the best racing game available, SMS cannot even release a game in a stable state and left Pcars 1 influx and buggy only to release Pcars 2 in a similar buggy state. Their idea of on going support is to try to fix a game that wasn't in a release state to begin. They have released no dlc or updates other than bug fixes since they released, over a month before GT Sport.
Cool...except I didn't give any opinions about any game so I'm not sure why you quoted me. I disagreed with the idea that the size or structure of the team had anything to do with ongoing support for previous games. It's easy to see that games with smaller teams and budgets are able to do so.

Black Friday weekend mate. I'd say a lot of people, including me, knew about the game and didn't think it was worth it. Then when it is cheap then it has makes more sense for what it has.

Overall it has sold about 250,000 copies. That's discs though. Downloads in the UK have taken an upturn this year due to games stores not discounting games so people are turning to downloads instead. It stands at between 35% and 45% depending on the game so between 87,500 and 112,500 downloads can be added to that.

Forza and GTS seem to be doing fairly similar this time around.

Lmao not even close sales wise from regions we have data from:

UK: GTS > 250k, F7 > 75k
JP: GTS > 200k
Germany: GTS > 100k, (no FM title on XB1 has reached > 100k in Germany ever)
France: GTS dominated top 5 at launch, Forza did not

We have nothing definite on Forza, but really, the divide is not even that large to be honest. Even considering past titles, these are way more closer than they've ever been. We don't have any numbers whatsoever with Forza but the initial race leaderboards is sitting around 5-600k individual people, even knowing that some people could have duplicates. If we imagine that 100% of the people that have set leaderboard times are using two accounts(which obviously isn't the case), that still has it sitting at a pretty good number of players.

Either Forza is doing better than usual, or GTS is doing worse than usual. Why you have such an issue with sales numbers being comparable, I have no idea. You seem to not be able to accept any one bit of good information for any other game for some asinine reason.

This is a good time to be a racing games fan but you're here trying to pick battles between sales numbers that really aren't even that far apart I'm betting. Sales numbers alone aren't the full picture; Considering the development time it took for GTS in comparison to Forza(more than double), they'd likely have to sell more to make up for those extra few years it took them, especially considering the price difference between the two games too.

Last edited:
Forza is not doing good. 500.000 - 600.000 is nothing on Forza. This Game has not even real Rival Leaderboards and the participation in These very few leaderboards is massivly declining compared to the Peak numbers on Forza 4... :(

I must say: a LOT People playing FIA races (in Europe alone) than the only competitiv modes on Forza. And this Comes from a FANBOY (got every Forza Game ever, played it seriously in Forza RC Events etc.)

The customer interest for Arcade/Sims is sinking for years now. GTSport is no exception...

Forza is not doing good. 500.000 - 600.000 is nothing on Forza. This Game has not even real Rival Leaderboards and the participation in These very few leaderboards is massivly declining compared to the Peak numbers on Forza 4... :(

I must say: a LOT People playing FIA races (in Europe alone) than the only competitiv modes on Forza. And this Comes from a FANBOY (got every Forza Game ever, played it seriously in Forza RC Events etc.)

The customer interest for Arcade/Sims is sinking for years now. GTSport is no exception...
I'm not saying that this is the number of sales, but how is 500-600k a month in bad if the series usually caps out at 2 million, years down the line as of late? True sales numbers are obviously going to be lower than that, but still, it's really not that far off, if any. The issue with the leaderboards right now is that there's upwards of about a thousand of them now, considering there's 120~ layouts, multiply that by the vast amounts of homologated classes now, and you'll see the issue. Forza 4 didn't even have half the amount of leaderboards available, and I much prefer the class system for leaderboard hunting compared to the homologation efforts.

I agree, the amount of Leaderboards are overhelming. I dont even know, is there even a start race?! FAIK you can choose your Career path from the beginning and the testrace at the beginning is not counting? In this case, the amount is not thaat bad.

But still, you expect rising sales from Forza becaus FM6 + 5 were on lower Installation base. Quality and Content should be a lot better, too, atracting more new Players. But this is not the case :(

At least not in the only competitiv modes (Rivals), where participation is very low compared to FIA races on GT Sports. Even thou we cant see complete data ( 3 regions, Just 5 time Slots etc), even then ist opvious that GT Sport is more "active" in Terms of playerbase :)

Forza got like 2 Patches for PC Players and some Hopper updates... Compare that with GTS Progress in Shorter time! :)

In the end, every raacingfan should cheer for better sales for all racing games. Thats the only way we will receive new and better Games in the future :)

I agree, the amount of Leaderboards are overhelming. I dont even know, is there even a start race?! FAIK you can choose your Career path from the beginning and the testrace at the beginning is not counting? In this case, the amount is not thaat bad.
What do you mean is there a start race? I'm not exactly sure I'm following. Do you mean like a free race mode?

But still, you expect rising sales from Forza becaus FM6 + 5 were on lower Installation base. Quality and Content should be a lot better, too, atracting more new Players. But this is not the case :(
I keep forgetting that these games are on PC now. As for quality and content, it's definitely there, but the game still gets plagued by minor inconsistencies, some that make you sit there and think "What?"

At least not in the only competitiv modes (Rivals), where participation is very low compared to FIA races on GT Sports. Even thou we cant see complete data ( 3 regions, Just 5 time Slots etc), even then ist opvious that GT Sport is more "active" in Terms of playerbase :)
They're not directly comparable though. Rivals is so watered down now because of homologation, and not only that, it's very much a side-aspect of the game where as Sport mode is one of the main advertised draw of GTS. It wont show even similar numbers. What would be comparable is if you had way some to look at people in multiplayer lobbies rather than activity on some random Rivals.

I feel that the Rivals mode has been extremely lackluster this iteration, leading people to not be too drawn to give it a shot.

Forza got like 2 Patches for PC Players and some Hopper updates... Compare that with GTS Progress in Shorter time! :)
Forza also got Forzathon updates for free vehicles, DLC, patches and fixes, a full 4k update for consoles, and the like. They're developing for multi-platform now, and I wonder if that prolongs things. Their priorities just land in different places, and with GTS seemingly having such a high focus on online components(even with the career patch coming), it makes sense.

In the end, every raacingfan should cheer for better sales for all racing games. Thats the only way we will receive new and better Games in the future :)
I definitely agree. Why anyone would try to attack a company for selling a good amount of copies is beyond me. If they sell more, we get more in return, hopefully.

I keep forgetting that these games are on PC now. As for quality and content, it's definitely there, but the game still gets plagued by minor inconsistencies, some that make you sit there and think "What?"

Forza also got Forzathon updates for free vehicles, DLC, patches and fixes, a full 4k update for consoles, and the like. They're developing for multi-platform now, and I wonder if that prolongs things. Their priorities just land in different places, and with GTS seemingly having such a high focus on online components(even with the career patch coming), it makes sense.

I definitely agree. Why anyone would try to attack a company for selling a good amount of copies is beyond me. If they sell more, we get more in return, hopefully.

I don't think that the architecture etc is different enough between Xbox one and pc due to both being Microsoft to prolong development by too much.

Agreed. A rising tide floats all boats.

Surely they've passed a million sold by now. Kinda glad NFS isn't doing well. That series needs a reboot.

Black Friday weekend mate. I'd say a lot of people, including me, knew about the game and didn't think it was worth it. Then when it is cheap then it has makes more sense for what it has.

Overall it has sold about 250,000 copies. That's discs though. Downloads in the UK have taken an upturn this year due to games stores not discounting games so people are turning to downloads instead. It stands at between 35% and 45% depending on the game so between 87,500 and 112,500 downloads can be added to that.

No way it was that high, digital price never came down anywhere close to the 18 pounds GTsport fell to on amazon. Best deal you could find.

Nope. [PS4] Gran Turismo Sport (Limited Edition Included) (SIE, 10/19/17) – 5,940 (193,443) After 6 weeks on sale it has yet to cross 200k.

PS4 has 4 to 5 times as large a user base in those nations, no surprise GT sales better lol it only due to PS4 being a freakin sales monster.

Got any proof ? based on console user base the only one that's seriously down is GT.

According to this article at the time of writing there has been over 26 million hours of gameplay for GTS. That does not sound like a game that is a flop and not doing decently well.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...fline-play-gt-league-more/?emcid=em-ph-127409

Game play hours km drive ext. The go to PR talk when sales are low and not worth talking about.

You see they were quite fast to announce GT sale's back when they were great.
http://bgr.com/2010/12/10/sony-over-5-5-million-copies-of-gran-turismo-5-sold-so-far/

"Sony announced Friday that it has sold over 5.5 million copies of Gran Turismo 5 in the game’s first 12 days of availability."

That's what a proper GT game does sales wise.

No way it was that high, digital price never came down anywhere close to the 18 pounds GTsport fell to on amazon. Best deal you could find.
Reasonable point on the 100,000 sales over last weekend as it was cheaper in stores than on the PSN therefore would modify the percentage of downloads but, other hand, somewhere between 35% and 45% for the other 150,000 is as realistic as it will get unless Sony releases sales numbers.

Surely they've passed a million sold by now. Kinda glad NFS isn't doing well. That series needs a reboot.
I'd say GT Sport is around 3m-3.5m right now.

I'd put Forza 7 around 800k-1.2m.

Lifetime I'd still say GT Sport will surpass 6m, Forza 7 over 2m. It's all guesstimates right now, but there's enough data to suggest GT Sport will sell 3x more than Forza 7. Longer-term that ratio could shift depending on the support GT Sport receives and Microsoft switching focus to Forza Horizon 4.

Last edited:
I can proudly state iv added at least 30 hours of rubber band grinding for credits/mileage points. And maybe 3/5 hours of actual gameplay.

Why would you bother to grind credits in a game you don't like and don't want to play? That makes no sense to me.

Proof?

Forza 3 - 2009 - 5,5 Million
Forza 4 - 2011 - 4,58 Million
Forza 5 - 2013 - 2,4 Million
Forza 6 - 2015 - 1,99 Million

These Numbers are sales through store, not digital... In the end you can see the same differences in activity and Leaderboards...

Forget about Project Cars, Numbers are too low there to estimate the Racing Market...

Proof?

These Numbers are sales through store, not digital... In the end you can see the same differences in activity and Leaderboards...

Forget about Project Cars, Numbers are too low there to estimate the Racing Market...
Yeah, seems to be a trend with most racing games to be honest. Although, with Forza 5 came the introduction of digital sales, so I wonder what the difference would be if we had stats on those. Where were those numbers pulled, by the way?

Yeah, seems to be a trend with most racing games to be honest. Although, with Forza 5 came the introduction of digital sales, so I wonder what the difference would be if we had stats on those. Where were those numbers pulled, by the way?

Contextually its not just racing games but the automotive environment as well. Millenials for instance are much less interested in owning a car so why would they wish to play racing games then. You can I think even see it on this site with proportion of over 55's high.

I think the trend will continue too as car manufacturers are embracing electric cars and inner city mobility including car renting etc.

Proof?

Forza 3 - 2009 - 5,5 Million - Last Forza that had two years on market to itself before the franchise became a yearly release.
Forza 4 - 2011 - 4,58 Million - Last forza on 360s user base.

Forza H 3 - 2016 - 2.76 million

Funny you forgot Horizon, which is growing in sales. Might want to look at the user base Forzas is selling on now compared to on the 360, especially in Europe. Forza sells are very much in line with the much smaller user base it's on now.

Nothing other than falling quality and content plus bad developer decisions explains GTs lower sales. It should be matching if not surpassing GT5s sales.

Actually the greatest trend is falling quality and low review scores. With only Forza maintaining a high level of quality content and reviews. Forza is going quite great for anyone that understands market size in relation to sales, while 2015s NFS is one of the better selling ones. With the PS4 sku more or less matching PS3 NFS sales.

Last edited:

I didn't realise GT Sport was doing this good. Those numbers would have to include digital wouldn't they?

Does anyone have Australasian and US milestone numbers yet?

Back