Estimate GT Sport sales

• Thread starter Earth
  • 869 comments

How many copies will GT Sport sell?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Forza 3 - 2009 - 5,5 Million - Last Forza that had two years on market to itself before the franchise became a yearly release.
Forza 4 - 2011 - 4,58 Million - Last forza on 360s user base.
Forza 5 - 2013 - 2,4 Million
Forza 6 - 2015 - 1,99 Million

Forza H 3 - 2016 - 2.76 million

Funny you forgot Horizon, which is growing in sales. Might want to look at the user base Forzas is selling on now compared to on the 360, especially in Europe. Forza sells are very much in line with the much smaller user base it's on now.

Nothing other than falling quality and content plus bad developer decisions explains GTs lower sales. It should be matching if not surpassing GT5s sales.

Actually the greatest trend is falling quality and low review scores. With only Forza maintaining a high level of quality content and reviews. Forza is going quite great for anyone that understands market size in relation to sales, while 2015s NFS is one of the better selling ones. With the PS4 sku more or less matching PS3 NFS sales.
Link for those Forza sales? Only Horizon has sold over 2 mil from my understanding

Which completely invalidates your numbers then. 👎

Rule 1. No VGChartz made up numbers are acceptable. Ever.
Rule 2. See Rule 1.

lol to be fair they all are made up, even Sony can't tell you 100% how many they sold. They can only give you exact shipped numbers.

Vgchartz just takes everyones numbers and estimates the rest. Especially older numbers they are bang on most often, as they adjust to whatever publisher release numbers. They are a pretty good resource for older sales, unfortunately many times it's the best you get.

Sucks that most markets aren't like Japan and are fully openly transparent.

Nope. [PS4] Gran Turismo Sport (Limited Edition Included) (SIE, 10/19/17) – 5,940 (193,443) After 6 weeks on sale it has yet to cross 200k.

Oh no, those 7k sales really make a difference. Point still stands.

PS4 has 4 to 5 times as large a user base in those nations, no surprise GT sales better lol it only due to PS4 being a freakin sales monster.

Install base doesn't automatically mean growth in sales. We recently had SW LA Noire outsell the XB1 version in the UK.

GT is a sales monster full stop. Its known.

Got any proof ? based on console user base the only one that's seriously down is GT.

F1 massively down. Dirt massively down. Forza Motorsport has been declining since Forza 4. PC Cars massively down. UK/PAL charts show us this, and EU is by far the biggest region for racing games.

"Sony announced Friday that it has sold over 5.5 million copies of Gran Turismo 5 in the game’s first 12 days of availability."

Thats shipped. Nice try.

I'd put Forza 7 around 800k-1.2m.

Not even close. F7 is near 100k in UK in retail. Thats its second biggest region. Very low charting of EU.

Fake numbers

I didn't realise GT Sport was doing this good. Those numbers would have to include digital wouldn't they?

Does anyone have Australasian and US milestone numbers yet?

No digital. GTS is likely near 1.5 million now just from UK, Germany, Spain and JP. Holidays haven't even started yet.

F1 massively down. Dirt massively down. Forza Motorsport has been declining since Forza 4. PC Cars massively down. UK/PAL charts show us this, and EU is by far the biggest region for racing games.

No digital. GTS is likely near 1.5 million now just from UK, Germany, Spain and JP. Holidays haven't even started yet.

And heres some very interesting data courtesy of @Milouse. Seems like a pretty good start to me.. .

I spent quite some time during the last days gathering very interesting data. There's a bit of work to put than online in a proper shape, so in the meantime, here's a glimpse:

GT Sport players of the final game (as of 1st December): 1.903 Millions
(that basically equals the number of games sold and started. Some christmas early gift sales wouldn't be included yet. we can assume multi-account swap ratio is very low)

GT Sport Demo players who also played the final game: 44 %

Players (of the final game) who played in Sport Mode: 34 %

Sport Mode players distribution by Driving Rank:
E 56%
D 33%
C 7%
B 4%
A < 1%
S < 1%

Install base doesn't automatically mean growth in sales. We recently had SW LA Noire outsell the XB1 version in the UK.

99.9 % of the time it does, but there are reason for your one in a thousand anomaly. La noire is a remake, nintendo platform is the only one that never had the original. It's not surprising the market that never had the product is outselling one that has.

Its basic sales reality the bigger the market the more you will sale. Of course the growth of sales won't be equal to the market increase as the bigger you go the more niche markets you enter. But it'll be more.

But hey the highest selling GT just happen to have sold on highest selling PS ever. Forza sold the most on the highest selling Xbox, as did Halo as did Gears now those are pure coincidences. Most selling Mario, Mario kart sold dun dun dun on the highest selling nintendo console, that proves nothing at all. Your LA noire example trumps them all.

GT was a sales monster.

Well can you prove it with numbers.

Even better show what franchise is down yet selling on a equal user base as past releases ? cause the only franchise that is truly down that i can think of and whose numbers are readily available is GT. It had everything every advantage going for it to achieve massive sales, yet faltered.

What you think is mere coincidence Forza is down since Forza 4, the last on on 360s user base? Do you find it surprising Forza is down since becoming a yearly release and selling on 1/3rd a user base. Even worse for Forza most of Xbox market share loss has come from Europe, the market you said is best for racing games. If Horizen 3 can crack 3 million i'll be phenomenal given the market realities it's facing. Poor Forza, it be selling triple if on the PS.

Players is not sales.

But damn good on FH3, best racing game in a about a decade.

So if FH3 is the "best racing game in about a decade" then why do you not spend your time posting on a forum shouting and praising all of its glory rather than to constantly continue to troll every thread you can find posting the same negative rhetoric that you can to make the subject about what a bad game and failure GTS is in the world of driving or racing games across all platforms?

You have more than made it clear that you do not like GTS, PD or anything to do with the current GTS game for about the 163rd time.

So if FH3 is the "best racing game in about a decade" then why do you not spend your time posting on a forum shouting and praising all of its glory rather than to constantly continue to troll every thread you can find posting the same negative rhetoric that you can to make the subject about what a bad game and failure GTS is in the world of driving or racing games across all platforms?

You have more than made it clear that you do not like GTS, PD or anything to do with the current GTS game for about the 163rd time.

I think he is going for 200. Must be a trophy for that or something. :)

As long as he doesn’t violate the AuP, he can post whatever he wants. If we can constantly praise GT Sport and PD, then he (and others) can be negative and criticise GT and PD. Trying to silence someone because you don’t agree with them is a stupid thing to do.

And for your information, I love the GT franchise and PD, and GT Sport looks like a fun GT (to me). It’s the reason why I joined GTP. :D

Last edited:
As long as he doesn’t violate the AuP, he can post whatever he wants. If we can constantly praise GT Sport and PD, then he (and others) can be negative and criticise GT and PD. Trying to silence someone because you don’t agree with them is a stupid thing to do.

And for your information, I love the GT franchise and PD, and GT Sport looks like a fun GT. It’s the reason why I joined GTP. :D

I can repeatedly punch myself in the face. doesn't mean it makes any sense to do so. ;)

So, how many copies do PDI need to sell to break even? 2 million copies sold by Codemasters isn't the same success for PDi. I'm guessing we don't know the budget for GTS?

Is it only when defending your game of choice that typing words on a keyboard is comparable to physical violence or is that a general principle? I don't understand why people get so bitter about people expressing their opinions.

Last edited:
Is it only when defending your game of choice that typing words on a keyboard is comparable to physical violence or is that a general principle of yours? I don't understand why people get so bitter about people expressing their opinions.
Uh, neither? I just made a more lighthearted response to @Deadheadbill, although I do admit that not a lot of thought went into the post.

But yeah, I don’t understand either why people get bitter about different opinions. Perhaps it’s because we’re not as complicated as we think we are.

Last edited:
So, how many copies do PDI need to sell to break even? 2 million copies sold by Codemasters isn't the same success for PDi. I'm guessing we don't know the budget for GTS?
Annual operating cost of GT5 worked out at 12 million with 110-150 staff. 5 years development means 60 million development cost. GTS took 4 years with 200+ staff and several years of inflation.

Uh, neither? I just made a more lighthearted response to @Deadheadbill, although I do admit that not a lot of thought went into the post.

But yeah, I don’t understand either why people get bitter about different opinions. Perhaps it’s because we’re not as complicated as we think we are.
I quoted you by mistake...since corrected..apologies.

Is it only when defending your game of choice that typing words on a keyboard is comparable to physical violence or is that a general principle? I don't understand why people get so bitter about people expressing their opinions.

Sadly isn't that the way of social media generally. As it is not a face to face conversation it tends to be less polite and more in your face (excuse the pun)....

Players is not sales.
Yes, but:
- Based on discussions i had with people from the industry, account swap is limited for a given game (that's not specific to GT). Furthermore, such bias is the same from game to game of the same genre (ie targeted to the same audience).
- Unless you had a free week-end (which is visible on Forza 6 late on the graph i linked in the previous post), most people who played the game have bought it (new or second hand).

This raises the question of to why people want to know the actual copy sales:
A- To measure the game's audience? -> Number of players is even a more straightforward indicator.
B- To measure the developer income? -> copy doesn't all sell at the same price, the developer share varies from physical to digital, and some copy are even bundled with console.
C- To measure success? -> see B.

Link for those Forza sales? Only Horizon has sold over 2 mil from my understanding

I'm trying to find them too, looks like he just made them up since he isn't posting sources but has already replied several times.

EDIT
Turns out they are just VG Chartz estimates that were from someone else that posted in this thread. Zzzzzzzzz

Last edited:

Why talk about when you can play the best game lol ?

Gtsport is not worth playing, but maybe one of the PD people reads all the complaints on this forum on youtube on facebook amazon ext and the next GT is actually a real GT not this content lacking bad joke.

I'm trying to find them too, looks like he just made them up since he isn't posting sources but has already replied several times.

lol read the posts, i just copied the guys numbers as a reply. he gave you a source and that source has been discussed in detail.

Yes, but:
- Based on discussions i had with people from the industry, account swap is limited for a given game (that's not specific to GT). Furthermore, such bias is the same from game to game of the same genre (ie targeted to the same audience).
- Unless you had a free week-end (which is visible on Forza 6 late on the graph i linked in the previous post), most people who played the game have bought it (new or second hand).

A- To measure the game's audience? -> Number of players is even a more straightforward indicator.
B- To measure the developer income? -> copy doesn't all sell at the same price, the developer share varies from physical to digital, and some copy are even bundled with console.

I don't know I had 4 different accounts now 3, due to my brothers kids love playing my games.

Care to post a % a metric of some kind of that account swapping, is quite evident there is way more players than sales.

Because It's quite interesting, it's a value anyone can understand. Game that sales 1.5 million is not in the same league as one that sold ten. And anyone can understand what GTA5 selling 85 million means. A franchise that used to sale over ten million now struggling to make it past 1/3rd is very interesting. Then there's the whole issue of owners self satisfaction and self worth the higher the sales of their product. Just look how defensive they get about sales and reviews. Metrics matter to people, metrics can be broken down to the cold hard truths. And nothing beats actual amount sales compared to user accounts hours played or kilometers driven.

his raises the question of to why people want to know the actual copy sales:
Most of the time it's just to try put down an opposing game and try to make it sound like it's worse than it actually is, all the while having absolutely no experience with it whatsoever. It's something I've never really understood, because knowing sales numbers doesn't really benefit the consumers at all, to be honest. One of the more vocal people in this thread, on this subject has this train of thought, and I have no idea why.

Yes, but:

I've had as many as four people using my consoles including me. Various GT games definitely included.

Are you asking why we are asking about sales? If so that's our interest in our franchise.

GT Sport #3 in the UK. All we know is sales for the week are between 121K (CoD) and 49K (BF2).

UK retail is now over 300K, probably looking at over 400K with digital. I guess it will be over 500K total by end of the year.

https://ukie.org.uk/news/2017/12/call-duty-wwii-bunkers-down-fifth-week-top

https://www.resetera.com/posts/1697207/

Also #4 in the revenue chart.

https://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110033

In France GT Sport returned to #4.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/1696954/

Last edited:
Just to add some context GT5 sold 600K (by end of year) in its UK launch window and over 5m worldwide in similar time period.

My prediction stands GT Sport will sell over 6m.......but under 10m ( I know, wide margin of error!). If I had to put a final figure I'd say around 7.5m-8m. IMO it will only hit those totals after PS5 launches and PS4 is going for £99-£150 with bundled games.

Back