Europa League 2012/13

• Thread starter Matty
  • 97 comments
I think Spurs are more than Bale. Sure he carries the team but the squad is solid ad their coach is great at getting the most out of them. The club is in some real good form right now. I doubt Inter has it in them to bounce back. But you never know.

The other match I'll be watching is Benfica x Bordeaux. I'm a Porto fan but always will root for the clubs from Portugal in euro tourneys, but I think their coach is ridiculous. Publicly stated last week that the EL is not a priority, that winning the league is. Sorry but that's ridiculous. The EL isn't as big as the CL but if you make it to the final that's money and prestige even if you don't win it.

My money is on Spurs to win this cup.

So then, about Tottenham being more than a one man team...

This result makes me happy. I'm sure Faceache will be quiet again, or there may be a mention or six about finishing above Arsenal is the most important thing this season. Or being Spurs they will probably sneak through.

Phew, that was stressful.
Spurs probably didn't deserve to go through, Inter played really well this leg. Adebayors goal was a lucky one too.

The away goals rule should not count in extra-time.

EDIT: Moreover, there should not be an extra-time at all.

I love the away goals rule.:sly:👍

Naturally enough I'll hate it when it either puts out tottenham or puts through chelsea or arsenal at any stage.

Speaking of which, come on Steaua.:D

A Torres goal isn't a Torres goal without a few minutes of "OLD TORRES IS BACK!!! HE WILL PROBABLY SCORE 50 GOALS NOW" from the commentators.

EDIT: smh

Last edited:
Overall a good night for the British teams. Spurs getting a bit lucky against Inter but just managing to scrape through on away goals. Chelsea winning 3-1 on the night 3-2 on aggregate. I watched the first half and Chelsea looked quite poor but Torres' yearly goal helping them on their way on Newcastle with a Cisse 94th Minute winner against Anzhi.

Chelsea should pay someone to kick Torres in the head every game. That's the best I've seen him play in a blue shirt.

Torres! 1-0 Chelsea! Over the 2 legs, Torres has got a hattrick.

gk324_flying-pig-rgb-final_lr_web.jpg

Looking forward to the game at the Bridge tonight. Basel have never won a europa league game away from home so i'm predicting a 3-0 Chelsea win

Great goal for Basel, but Chelsea should still get through this fairly comfortably I think. Just need to stay calm and keep pressing, I think the goal will come for them.

EDIT: Called it. 2 quick goals for Chelsea, and that'll do it. GG Basel. Now, will it be Benfica or Fenerbache to face the blues?

EDIT 2: There's the third. Great strike by Luiz.

Last edited:
What a fantastic goal by Luiz!

Chelsea and Benfica will face each other in Amsterdam.

I'm going to guess Benfica will beat Chelsea. Benfica is stronger than last year, Chelsea is weaker than last year, and last year Chelsea struggled to pass them in the CL.

I hope that Benfica will get ripped a new one. What a disgusting team. Diving like a bunch of girls, while making nasty fouls. The ref should have given at least one direct red card for almost kicking a Turkish head off and a couple of yellows for spoiling the game.

If Benfica would play against Barca or something the game should be played in a swimming pool.

👎

I'm going to guess Benfica will beat Chelsea. Benfica is stronger than last year, Chelsea is weaker than last year, and last year Chelsea struggled to pass them in the CL.

Weaker? Sure no Drogba, and Lampard isn't as influential as he used to be, but Hazard, Moses, Mata in sublime form, Oscar improving everyday, and a Torres that can score goals. I think Chelsea will have it.

Weaker? Sure no Drogba, and Lampard isn't as influential as he used to be, but Hazard, Moses, Mata in sublime form, Oscar improving everyday, and a Torres that can score goals. I think Chelsea will have it.

Yes I'll say it again, weaker side. Chelsea didn't impress me last season and haven't really impressed me this season. They used to be one of my favorite teams to watch and mind you, I think Mata and Hazards are awesome. Moses is good too, Oscar could be much better and Torres still sucks but this is a stronger Benfica side than last season. My money is on SLB, which is strange considering they are my arch rival team in the league. :sly:

btw here's the Gaitan kick on Gonul:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S7WiiK4G_c

Last edited:
Yes I'll say it again, weaker side. Chelsea didn't impress me last season and haven't really impressed me this season. They used to be one of my favorite teams to watch and mind you, I think Mata and Hazards are awesome. Moses is good too, Oscar could be much better and Torres still sucks but this is a stronger Benfica side than last season. My money is on SLB, which is strange considering they are my arch rival team in the league. :sly:

btw here's the Gaitan kick on Gonul:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S7WiiK4G_c

You say Torres sucks but he's still got 20 goals this season

You say Torres sucks but he's still got 20 goals this season
How many of those have been in the EPL, which is Chelsea's main focus? Also, his hold up play is rubbish and yes a striker doesn't necessarily need that, granted. But the way Chelsea play (through the midfield) it is kin of expected from him. He is nowhere near the player he was at Liverpool. For a striker playing in a 4-2-3-1 formation, 20 goals isn't all that good.

Back