Europa League 2012/13

• Thread starter Matty
  • 97 comments
A reasonably good scoring record in a competition they shouldn't even be in doesn't justify the 50 million pound price tag.

Torres has Rooney syndrome whereby he plays crap all game, scores one goal and his massive price tag and the hype associated with him is somehow justified because "he's trying hard".

Ok Torres isn't the player he used to be and £50m was too much, but as Chelsea are getting goals from lots of different players i don't see Torres' strike rate as a huge problem

How many of those have been in the EPL, which is Chelsea's main focus? Also, his hold up play is rubbish and yes a striker doesn't necessarily need that, granted. But the way Chelsea play (through the midfield) it is kin of expected from him. He is nowhere near the player he was at Liverpool. For a striker playing in a 4-2-3-1 formation, 20 goals isn't all that good.

He was never a hold up striker which is his problem, and formation has nothing to do with him not scoring. Premier League or not, he still has 20 goals this season.About 7 or so of them in the league, and he hasn't been a regular in the Premier League since we bought Ba.

Bottom line, Chelsea is a stronger team this season. We came 6th last season, and we're 3rd now. How are we weaker?

He was never a hold up striker which is his problem, and formation has nothing to do with him not scoring. Premier League or not, he still has 20 goals this season.About 7 or so of them in the league, and he hasn't been a regular in the Premier League since we bought Ba.

Bottom line, Chelsea is a stronger team this season. We came 6th last season, and we're 3rd now. How are we weaker?
I never said that Chelsea was weaker this season than last. I do agree with you on the fact that they are stronger this season.

Looking forward to tonight's game. From a mutual standpoint I'm just hoping to see some good football.

I think it's time for Cardozo to make a name for himself on a big stage. Everytime I watch a Benfica game he scores.

...but I can't see past Chelsea tonight. I think it'll be 3-1

No Hazard for Chelsea...thats a big blow for them!

No Hazard so Ramires pushes forward and David Luiz slots into midfield alongside Lampard. Terry injured so the central defence will be Ivanovic and Cahill. Torres starts up front,the rest of the starting 11 will be Cech, A. Cole, Azpiliqueta, Oscar and Mata
Subs: Turnbull, Moses, Ake, Ferreira, Mikel, Marin and Benayoun

Last edited:
I think Luiz and Oscar will make a difference tonight. And if Moses comes on, he will be good too.

Torres has finally thought 'Well let's look a bit respectable tonight' and took the mask off...

nervy start for Chelsea though.

HA! F you Benfica!!!!!

Good job Chelsea, that diving squad doesn't deserve a price!

I'd rate that final at a 7/10. Lamps should have had two screamers though. Can see a few bids coming in for Matic & Cardozo though...

That Lampard strike was amazing - would have been a great goal had it gone in... #colemanballs

2 good goals and 2 other great shots. Don't say this often but it was Chelsea's night.

Happy retirement Fergie

Back