Expectations for Forza 7 going from FM6.

• Thread starter SimTourist
  • 393 comments
One thing I would really like is for T10 to drop their stupid way of doing the distance ahead/distance behind meter by measuring it in feets rather than in seconds like everyone does.

One thing I would really like is for T10 to drop their stupid way of doing the distance ahead/distance behind meter by measuring it in feets rather than in seconds like everyone does.

I actually find that sort of handy. Less so now that we've got proximity markers, but before the NASCAR update, the distance marker was an easy way to tell if a car was near me or not in a turn. Anything less than 20ft, and I knew I had to give space.

A combination of my expectations and hopes...
  • Keep aiming at 60 FPS. Going back to FM6 after the fairly smooth FH3 makes a very noticeable difference.
  • 98% of the cars from FM6 and FH3 + DLC. The missing 2% (rough estimate) should be the type of vehicles right at home in Horizon's wilderness.
  • Cars still not seen since the Xbox 360 era games.
  • Porsche as day one content, which is now realistic.
  • The return of VW and Citroën.
  • All tracks from FM6 returning plus new additions like Mosport and Belle Isle, securing all tracks from the current IMSA calendar. What about the scenic Pacific Raceways near Turn 10's offices? More tracks from Europe and Asia too.
  • Improved physics.
  • Selectable AI opponent cars and colors so Free Play can become a true sandbox. Who needs a career mode then?
  • Smarter AI.
  • Improved car sounds.
  • If not dynamic weather, more different weather conditions and hours (similar to DiRT Rally). Maybe even snow? The fixed sunlight, shadows, puddle sizes and shapes in FM6 got old really fast.
  • Better looking trees than those seen in FM6.
  • No helicopters in the sky.
  • Auction house and Forzathon challenges should be carried over from FH3.
  • Revision of mods (as implemented in FM6).
  • Upbeat electronica soundtrack similar to FM4. The FM6 score was nice and ear friendly but at times too melancholic for a car game. Also, keep the licensed music at the Horizon festivals.
  • Full rotation of the animated steering wheel for wheel users.
  • More customizability across the board.

Last edited:
Forza 6 had about 30 different tracks. I don't think they need to battle with project cars 2 in terms of track numbers but a healthy dose of th right tracks is definilty needed. I'd say carry over the ones from FM6 and maybe add 10-12 more so 42ish tracks would be nice. A few from asia a couple more european ones and some vital ones missing from North america.

Auction house, awesome. Forzathons? Idk it seems like a good fit for horizon unless they do something a little different that fits the motorsport theme.

Nearly everything players do in Forza Horizon adds to some kind of progression. This is to a lesser extent true in Forza Motorsport, so I think Forzathon challenges would be perfect for the somewhat static nature of the game. Imagine something like:

• Perform 25 perfect turns at VIR to win 3 prize spins.
  • Win 5 races in a Ferrari to earn 50.000 XP.
  • Record a lap time under whatever at Road Atlanta to win the Panoz Esperante GTLM.
  • Complete 3 laps on Silverstone International in a D class car to win 5 boost mods.
More incentives and extra fun. You could almost compare it to Gran Turismo's seasonal events.

I actually find that sort of handy. Less so now that we've got proximity markers, but before the NASCAR update, the distance marker was an easy way to tell if a car was near me or not in a turn. Anything less than 20ft, and I knew I had to give space.

On short distances sure, it's handy, but it's a bit inconsistent from track to track when you reach a bigger gap, and it becomes hard to calculate how far ahead or behind you actually are, especially over a long distance or when it comes time to make a pitstop. Having a 500ft lead at Lime Rock does not equal to the same amount of time as a 500ft lead at Le Mans, but a 5 second lead is a 5 second lead everywhere.

I like that bullet point list format for expectations that @Nielsen used so I'm going to shamelessly copy it for my expectations ;)

• 1080P/60FPS on XB1, 4K/60FPS on Scorpio.
  • FM7 Launches in the same window the Scorpio does, so a little later than the usual September release dates we've seen for the previous 3 entries in the franchise.
  • Full Dynamic TOD is in on every track, pulling the skybox tech used in FH3. Weather remains static, only on a few tracks.
  • E-Sports is a definite focus, and they'll compete head to head with PCars 2 and GT Sport to be "the definitive e-sports racing title" (which I think GT:S will be, FM7 will be great for other reasons).
  • I expect to see Leagues return (maybe with a new name) with a driver safety rating system & even a driver level requirement to enter (possibly a driver test too)
  • Along with the improvements to leagues, I think'll they'll continue to improve the spectator function. Alternate angles, more TV style angles, better functionality, instant replays, more replays able to be saved etc.
  • Wheel FFB will be hugely improved due to the new guy in charge of wheel physics and more peripherals will be supported, including Triple Screen Support.
  • I think the Physics will be largely the same overall, just more refinement (like from FH2 to FH3)
  • As I said earlier we'll get most of the cars from 6, the new models from FH3's base list (sans off-roaders, unless we get rally in FM7 which I highly doubt), all of FH3 DLC's road cars and then some new to Forza models (+ some FM4 goodness). Probably around 625-675 cars on disc at launch as a conservative estimate. Would be really impressive considering no other racers are really getting close to these sorts of numbers.
  • I do think however there will be some annoying casualties like we saw with Horizon 3. Volkswagen I don't think will return, and we'll see maybe 10-15 annoying omissions (like the 15' Mustang GT or the 03' E39 M5 for example)
  • Conversely I think there will be some fantastic new metal in there from Day One. I think we'll hopefully see the return of some FM4 goodies, specifically Gumpert, Saab, De Tomaso, MG & Austin-Healey, Mitsubishi Starion & FTO, Honda CR-X, Toyota Altezza & Celica Supra, DeLorean DMC-12 etc. In terms of new to franchise stuff, I think we'll get an updated GT3/LM roster, V8SC, Nascar, Indycars and LMP1. BTCC/WTCC, DTM, Can-Am, IMSA/Group 5, Classic F1 will all get atleast 1 new addition to their respective fields. Then sprinkle a couple of new to franchise road cars in there and call it a day. Oh yeah Porsche in at launch too, with the 917K, 935, 928, Boxter & FM6/FH3's Porsches.
  • Tracks will be an interesting one. I think we'll see 35 environments on day one. I think the Top Gear Test Track will be pulled (as well as all of the Top Gear sponsorship) and we'll get 8 new environments. Pacific Raceways is a lock. Mosport or Willow Springs seem likely too. I think we'll get an Australian track, not sure which one. A new fantasy track of course is a lock. I don't think we'll see Japanese tracks returning anytime soon, aside from a fictional Fujimi Kaido which I think will not make launch and end up being apart of an expansion. The other four tracks will be the return of Maple Valley & Mugello, with Zandvoort and Donington Park rounding out the last two spots.
  • Given the success of FH3, I think Turn 10 will look to pull as much from it as they can. This means Auction House, Storefront & Clubs at launch. Custom Public Lobbies won't return (as much as I want them in, I don't expect them)
  • Forzathon will be in from day one, with strong prizes off the bat like the S14 & the Warthog for FH3. It'll bring back some cool vehicles from FM4 like it's done in FH3 and I think they'll actually build on the feature by having a challenge tracker, which tracks how many challenges you've done that month. Then, there is special rewards (XP, CR, Exclusive Cars) for completing a certain amount of Forzathon challenges in that month.
  • Wheelspins will return from FM6, but with exclusive cars that can be won from them (Like Horizon Editions). These could be upgrades of existing cars like HE's in FH3 or completely exclusive models.
  • Career mode will be significantly more customizable and have blueprint like FH3. You'll be able to have the typical Forza affair; 2 Laps on Alps and crash to the front. Or go the full 9 yards; Practice, Qualifying then Race. Blueprint will allow you to create custom championships with custom lap length, grids and then share them to your friends. No career mode will be the same
  • Customization will be built on from FH3. The parts added in FH3 (Widebody kits, rally parts, blowers, roof racks, new rims etc) will all carry over to FM7. I think we'll get some new rims again in FM7, along with some newer widebody kits and more race style kits (like the works conversions in NFS Shift). I think we'll also get some other misc improvements like being able to two-tone paint rims, actual sponsored tire lettering, two different sets of rims on the same car, wheel off-set adjustment (I pray the beard gives us this one), paintable brake calipers etc.
  • Sound will get a big improvement (more transition whine, better BOV sounds etc)
  • AI will still be the inconsistent pile of average the drivatars have always been.
  • Mods will return and get a big overhaul to fit in with blueprint.
  • I expect showcases will also return to career mode, this time with more of them (and even different styles)
  • I think we'll also get a Rally expansion of the course of FM7's lifecycle.
  • Gifting will return (finally)
I've probably missed a few things, so I'll add them as I think of them

I like that bullet point list format for expectations that @Nielsen used so I'm going to shamelessly copy it for my expectations ;)

• 1080P/60FPS on XB1, 4K/60FPS on Scorpio.
  • FM7 Launches in the same window the Scorpio does, so a little later than the usual September release dates we've seen for the previous 3 entries in the franchise.
  • Full Dynamic TOD is in on every track, pulling the skybox tech used in FH3. Weather remains static, only on a few tracks.
  • E-Sports is a definite focus, and they'll compete head to head with PCars 2 and GT Sport to be "the definitive e-sports racing title" (which I think GT:S will be, FM7 will be great for other reasons).
  • I expect to see Leagues return (maybe with a new name) with a driver safety rating system & even a driver level requirement to enter (possibly a driver test too)
  • Along with the improvements to leagues, I think'll they'll continue to improve the spectator function. Alternate angles, more TV style angles, better functionality, instant replays, more replays able to be saved etc.
  • Wheel FFB will be hugely improved due to the new guy in charge of wheel physics and more peripherals will be supported, including Triple Screen Support.
  • I think the Physics will be largely the same overall, just more refinement (like from FH2 to FH3)
  • As I said earlier we'll get most of the cars from 6, the new models from FH3's base list (sans off-roaders, unless we get rally in FM7 which I highly doubt), all of FH3 DLC's road cars and then some new to Forza models (+ some FM4 goodness). Probably around 625-675 cars on disc at launch as a conservative estimate. Would be really impressive considering no other racers are really getting close to these sorts of numbers.
  • I do think however there will be some annoying casualties like we saw with Horizon 3. Volkswagen I don't think will return, and we'll see maybe 10-15 annoying omissions (like the 15' Mustang GT or the 03' E39 M5 for example)
  • Conversely I think there will be some fantastic new metal in there from Day One. I think we'll hopefully see the return of some FM4 goodies, specifically Gumpert, Saab, De Tomaso, MG & Austin-Healey, Mitsubishi Starion & FTO, Honda CR-X, Toyota Altezza & Celica Supra, DeLorean DMC-12 etc. In terms of new to franchise stuff, I think we'll get an updated GT3/LM roster, V8SC, Nascar, Indycars and LMP1. BTCC/WTCC, DTM, Can-Am, IMSA/Group 5, Classic F1 will all get atleast 1 new addition to their respective fields. Then sprinkle a couple of new to franchise road cars in there and call it a day. Oh yeah Porsche in at launch too, with the 917K, 935, 928, Boxter & FM6/FH3's Porsches.
  • Tracks will be an interesting one. I think we'll see 35 environments on day one. I think the Top Gear Test Track will be pulled (as well as all of the Top Gear sponsorship) and we'll get 8 new environments. Pacific Raceways is a lock. Mosport or Willow Springs seem likely too. I think we'll get an Australian track, not sure which one. A new fantasy track of course is a lock. I don't think we'll see Japanese tracks returning anytime soon, aside from a fictional Fujimi Kaido which I think will not make launch and end up being apart of an expansion. The other four tracks will be the return of Maple Valley & Mugello, with Zandvoort and Donington Park rounding out the last two spots.
  • Given the success of FH3, I think Turn 10 will look to pull as much from it as they can. This means Auction House, Storefront & Clubs at launch. Custom Public Lobbies won't return (as much as I want them in, I don't expect them)
  • Forzathon will be in from day one, with strong prizes off the bat like the S14 & the Warthog for FH3. It'll bring back some cool vehicles from FM4 like it's done in FH3 and I think they'll actually build on the feature by having a challenge tracker, which tracks how many challenges you've done that month. Then, there is special rewards (XP, CR, Exclusive Cars) for completing a certain amount of Forzathon challenges in that month.
  • Wheelspins will return from FM6, but with exclusive cars that can be won from them (Like Horizon Editions). These could be upgrades of existing cars like HE's in FH3 or completely exclusive models.
  • Career mode will be significantly more customizable and have blueprint like FH3. You'll be able to have the typical Forza affair; 2 Laps on Alps and crash to the front. Or go the full 9 yards; Practice, Qualifying then Race. Blueprint will allow you to create custom championships with custom lap length, grids and then share them to your friends. No career mode will be the same
  • Customization will be built on from FH3. The parts added in FH3 (Widebody kits, rally parts, blowers, roof racks, new rims etc) will all carry over to FM7. I think we'll get some new rims again in FM7, along with some newer widebody kits and more race style kits (like the works conversions in NFS Shift). I think we'll also get some other misc improvements like being able to two-tone paint rims, actual sponsored tire lettering, two different sets of rims on the same car, wheel off-set adjustment (I pray the beard gives us this one), paintable brake calipers etc.
  • Sound will get a big improvement (more transition whine, better BOV sounds etc)
  • AI will still be the inconsistent pile of average the drivatars have always been.
  • Mods will return and get a big overhaul to fit in with blueprint.
  • I expect showcases will also return to career mode, this time with more of them (and even different styles)
  • I think we'll also get a Rally expansion of the course of FM7's lifecycle.
  • Gifting will return (finally)
I've probably missed a few things, so I'll add them as I think of them
I see everything there but the dynamic time of day.

I don't think there's any excuse for them to not add dynamic time of day n weather. This should have been done since forza 4...however if they can't do dynamic I'd at least expect them to make different static conditions for custom races or even some career races such as evening rain at daytona, or morning cloudy at road Atlanta. And a stormy afternoon at Watkins Glen build upon a little bit from what we in fm6 with night and rain

Meaning you don't think dynamic TOD will make it?
Yep.

I don't think there's any excuse for them to not add dynamic time of day n weather. This should have been done since forza 4...however if they can't do dynamic I'd at least expect them to make different static conditions for custom races or even some career races such as evening rain at daytona, or morning cloudy at road Atlanta. And a stormy afternoon at Watkins Glen build upon a little bit from what we in fm6 with night and rain
There's an easy excuse for them to not have time of day, there's no way for them to do it without going backwards.

They would have to either:
  • Abandon locked 1080p/60fps
  • Lower number of cars on track
  • Lower graphical detail on cars and tracks
Go on XBONE, do a lap at Bathurst in identical cars in both PCARS and Forza 6.

Even GTS on the more powerful system had to abandon dynamic ToD.

If Forza 7 was Project Scorpio exclusive I could see it, but since there's supposed to be cross play between them (original Xbone and Project Scorpio) it wouldn't be possible for it to be static on XBONE and dynamic on Project Scorpio.

-General/open/free roam multiplayer rooms
-More Japanese cars (Gran Turismo is much better in this regard)
-More Shelbys (FM6 only had the Cobra 427, Cobra Daytona, didn't have the old GT500s or GT350)
-More tracks (Gran Turismo is again better in this regard)
-Bonus car when you gold medal a race
-Release on XBOX One, not just whatever the newest system is
-No 2,000,000 credit cars that take months of grinding to buy
-Custom soundtracks

-General/open/free roam multiplayer rooms

The ability to have free run or track day rooms would be nice, yes.

-More Japanese cars (Gran Turismo is much better in this regard)

Was, not is (and only if you count all the reheated PS2 assets). FM6's Japanese car count is over 2/3 of GT Sport's total lineup.

-More Shelbys (FM6 only had the Cobra 427, Cobra Daytona, didn't have the old GT500s or GT350)

Fair play.

-More tracks (Gran Turismo is again better in this regard)

Was, not is. GT Sport is set to feature slightly more locations than FM5 did in 2013, but far less ribbons.
-Bonus car when you gold medal a race

Wheel spins are practically that, except you get XP for every event, not just certain ones.

-Release on XBOX One, not just whatever the newest system is

Huh?

-No 2,000,000 credit cars that take months of grinding to buy

Would you prefer 20 million?

If it's anything like FM6, credits will arguably be too easy to come across.

-Custom soundtracks

Already in FH3. I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if it's not in FM7.

The ability to have free run or track day rooms would be nice, yes.

Was, not is (and only if you count all the reheated PS2 assets). FM6's Japanese car count is over 2/3 of GT Sport's total lineup.

Fair play.

Was, not is. GT Sport is set to feature slightly more locations than FM5 did in 2013, but far less ribbons.

Wheel spins are practically that, except you get XP for every event, not just certain ones.

Huh?

Would you prefer 20 million?

If it's anything like FM6, credits will arguably be too easy to come across.

Already in FH3. I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if it's not in FM7.

Where is it in FH3? I couldn't locate it. I did find where you could stream if you have a Groove streaming account. I want to load my own AAC files though.

I'm a bit skeptical that they'll port features from Horizon. I can't help but think back to going from FH2 to FM6 where I felt certain that PI matching, free play, and car divisions were going to take after FH2 from the success they had there and instead we got a bare bones freeplay, no PI matching feature for drivatars, and very broadly defined classes. I sincerely hope that blueprints make it in along with a serious upgrade to freeplay but I feel T10 has seemingly had a much different agenda in approaching the motorsport games. In some ways I feel PG is almost subtly calling out T10 by saying 'hey look what requested features we were able to include that you guys said you couldn't.'

Where is it in FH3? I couldn't locate it. I did find where you could stream if you have a Groove streaming account. I want to load my own AAC files though.

You don't need a Groove subscription, you just have to toss your music files on OneDrive.

I'm guessing that he doesn't want to have to pay money for the Scorpio just to play FM7.

There's no way T10 will make the game Scorpio-exclusive. Microsoft has already said that won't be happening.
I'm a bit skeptical that they'll port features from Horizon. I can't help but think back to going from FH2 to FM6 where I felt certain that PI matching, free play, and car divisions were going to take after FH2 from the success they had there and instead we got a bare bones freeplay, no PI matching feature for drivatars, and very broadly defined classes. I sincerely hope that blueprints make it in along with a serious upgrade to freeplay but I feel T10 has seemingly had a much different agenda in approaching the motorsport games. In some ways I feel PG is almost subtly calling out T10 by saying 'hey look what requested features we were able to include that you guys said you couldn't.'

I believe the auction house and store fronts will be back in FM7. The official line before FH3 was that they required their own dedicated servers, and that it was a complicated affair to get them running. If the infrastructure is there now, that's the biggest hurdle taken care of.

I would hope things like Blueprint return, since it could transform offline single player (or, if modified, work for online custom championships). Personally, I'd love for the return of monthly Rivals events against guest personalities. Chasing down Juan Pablo Montoya was a blast.

Oh frick, I was thinking all of this time that it was. That makes me happy! :D

I'm kinda confused here, where are people getting this "info" that there will be exclusives to Scorpio? Phil has been quite clear on Scorpio's role. Scorpio will be like a PC @ ultra settings for Scorpio (4K, 1440P, etc --depending on game and developer), normal/high settings for regular Xbox One (1080P/900P).

The great news is most of the newer games have 4K assets already, so it will be an easier transition to Scorpio.

Link:

I'm kinda confused here, where are people getting this "info" that there will be exclusives to Scorpio? Phil has been quite clear on Scorpio's role. Scorpio will be like a PC @ ultra settings for Scorpio (4K, 1440P, etc --depending on game and developer), normal/high settings for regular Xbox One (1080P/60).
Honestly, I don't know and just assumed (something I shouldn't do). From what I've been hearing in the Forza news threads about FM7 being a Scorpio title and hearing that it's going to be treated as a new console; I assumed that FM7 would only be for the Scorpio.

-Hoping all the Aussie cars from FH3 make it into FM7.
-In the same vein, hoping with the additions of the EB Falcon and VS GTS-R, we'll see their classic ATCC variants in as well.
-A re-design on the Forza rear wing...it looks like crap on most cars, or just give up a blade spoiler option on everything as well.
-Tire lettering.
-Branded tires on racecars(It's silly that the only cars with "branded" tires are the NASCAR stockcars, especially when every other real race car in the game has their series tire supplier as a contingency sticker on the car(ie. Dunlop on the rear quarter windows of the Supercars, yet having blank tire sidewalls)).
-Dem skies.
-I'd like to see more of the whole "lower-spec" bumper covers and trims in the body mods section. Like how the Jeep GC SRT-8 can be converted into a standard GC, and Celica GT-Four can have the lower spec Celica bumpers, but do it to most of the cars(For example, able to put the standard EB Falcon bumpers and hood on the GT).
-More tracks, and the removal of the unnecessary tire bundles. I dunno how you'd prevent corner cutting, as the sticky grass was awful too, but places like the chicane at LRP and the esses at VIR are ridiculous with the addition of the barriers.

I'm hoping the new physics and FFB guy makes a noticeable improvement for Forza 7, feels currently terrible on so many levels. Off-track has so much grip, wet feels like you got good grip everywhere apart from on the big puddles. Unrealistic race conditions having big aquaplaning causing puddles fixed on the track. I think this guy says quite well how it feels to drive with wheel and how the cars handle over the limit: Link

I really dislike the replay system, limited info, fast forwarding is in steps and small number of saves and IIRC been like that for many games now. Time it got a big improvement, also the way the Xbox records footage could be improved a lot.

I also dislike how rivals make you start off from standing start, waste of a lap. I would prefer to start couple of corners before at least. Also can't set something as constant reference to use as a delta AFAIK like your own personal lap time. Also I don't think you can see the sector times on replays and only split times while driving which isn't that helpful.

Hoping also driving aids are actually realistic this time around.

Also the way races are, seems geared to finishing 3rd which you can outbrake most of AI in the first corner before they get going at speed and that's pretty much the race done, would be more fun IMO if race was about fighting for 1st position. I find the career is boring, something to make it fresh instead of the usual grind of finishing 3rd will be a big improvement, doesn't need to have so many events IMO. Keep it short and sweet.

Finally hoping they improve the annoying tyre sound.

I'm hoping the new physics and FFB guy makes a noticeable improvement for Forza 7, feels currently terrible on so many levels. Off-track has so much grip, wet feels like you got good grip everywhere apart from on the big puddles. Unrealistic race conditions having big aquaplaning causing puddles fixed on the track. I think this guy says quite well how it feels to drive with wheel and how the cars handle over the limit: Link

I really dislike the replay system, limited info, fast forwarding is in steps and small number of saves and IIRC been like that for many games now. Time it got a big improvement, also the way the Xbox records footage could be improved a lot.

I also dislike how rivals make you start off from standing start, waste of a lap. I would prefer to start couple of corners before at least. Also can't set something as constant reference to use as a delta AFAIK like your own personal lap time. Also I don't think you can see the sector times on replays and only split times while driving which isn't that helpful.

Hoping also driving aids are actually realistic this time around.

Also the way races are, seems geared to finishing 3rd which you can outbrake most of AI in the first corner before they get going at speed and that's pretty much the race done, would be more fun IMO if race was about fighting for 1st position. I find the career is boring, something to make it fresh instead of the usual grind of finishing 3rd will be a big improvement, doesn't need to have so many events IMO. Keep it short and sweet.

Finally hoping they improve the annoying tyre sound.

You actually played the games this time around? All good by the way I'm not mad, just curious.

I'm expecting proper body kits
images

and more wheel manufacturers and colored centers(I did have a glitch with the MB Gullwing. I could color the wheel centers at "Home", but couldn't race that way)
PENTA-YELLOW-ALLOYS-15-4-840x630.jpg

Back