F1: 2014 on PS4/Xbox One/PC

• Thread starter 0zzy
  • 515 comments
I wish they'd change the whole career setup. Not start in the 2014 season, but 2009. If you perhaps start in the Brawn GP with Button as your teammate, and you stay, the year after you'd be in the new Mercedes with Schumacher as teammate and if you stay then, in 2013 with Lewis Hamilton. So, changing cars, drivers and teams. Different calenders. Or (what I prefer) a longer career with 7 to 10 seasons. So start in 2004 in a Ferrari next to Michael and finish in 2014 with either Alonso or Raikkonen. Experiencing rule changes and V12's to the v6's. If they can pull that off, wow...

And in Grand Prix mode, just input all kinds of circuits formula 1 has visited in the last 10 years or so. MOre circuits and make your own favorite calender. They have it now with the addition of Jerez and Brands Hatch.

And hopefully, you can choose your own number and it will be visible on the car etc.

Personally, I'd love to see the addition of the warm-up lap. The warm-up lap really sets the tone and gets up pumped up!
Then you'd have to trust folk understanding their grid slots though, but it would be nice to have the option to turn that on for like say hard or pro modes.

Then you'd have to trust folk understanding their grid slots though, but it would be nice to have the option to turn that on for like say hard or pro modes.

You make a legitimate point. Maybe they could prevent players from passing the driver in front by adding an "invisible" barrier.

I'm hoping for an X360 release.

And I would like to see better circuits for classic mode. Estoril and Jerez were terrible choices. Give us the old Imola and Kyalami and Osterreichring instead.

Licenses. I doubt Estoril was the 3rd, 4th or even 10th choice.
All of these classic tracks don't really get used anymore in games + the layouts have changed also in many cases, so i would think licensing those would be less of a hustle than let's say a Bahrain for example.

All of these classic tracks don't really get used anymore in games + the layouts have changed also in many cases, so i would think licensing those would be less of a hustle than let's say a Bahrain for example.

Bahrain is in the official calendar though so its a given. I wonder how much influence the FIA/FOM had in which tracks they could use.

The only thing I really hope for, is a physics change. F1 2013 was awful to drive in my opinion.

I'd like a bit more atmosphere in career mode. Even if it is as simple as walking from your motorhome to your garage.

And a soundtrack. Codemasters almost always have a good soundtrack. Even if it's just as simple as listening to music as the team prepare your car.

And the ability to choose your racing number, since they're now personalised.

I've been playing METAL GEAR SOLID: PEACE WALKER in anticipation of GROUND ZEROES. One of the features of PEACE WALKER is a staff management system where you build up a mercenary base to develop new equipment and expand your abilities.

I think F1 2014 could feature something like that, with the player recruiting new engineers to the team. As you meet your R&D goals, their skills could improve. And the way you deal with the media could affect their morale. It's up to you to manage them, to try and get the most out of them. It would also give you more control over the team's development path.

That's sounds good prisonermonkey.
I wish the licensing would allow for the creation of totally new teams from the ground up, along with the things you mentioned.

I think the career mode also needs some atmosphere. When you arrive at a new race, there should be an animation showing the team setting up; when the race is over, they should pack up.

There could be more interaction with the media, which has largely amounted to figuring out which response will get the best reaction from the team. On top of that, you could maybe interact with the fans, and the more popular you are, the kinder the media will be (but if you miss targets, they will be more critical of you). And you only get a few minutes between sessions to divide your time up between your motorhome, the media and fans.

The new regulations mean drivers get five full power units, and a full power unit is made up of five components. This could pave the way for a parts management component, where you have to pick and choose which parts to take and when.

I think the career mode also needs some atmosphere. When you arrive at a new race, there should be an animation showing the team setting up; when the race is over, they should pack up.

There could be more interaction with the media, which has largely amounted to figuring out which response will get the best reaction from the team. On top of that, you could maybe interact with the fans, and the more popular you are, the kinder the media will be (but if you miss targets, they will be more critical of you). And you only get a few minutes between sessions to divide your time up between your motorhome, the media and fans.

The new regulations mean drivers get five full power units, and a full power unit is made up of five components. This could pave the way for a parts management component, where you have to pick and choose which parts to take and when.

I think setting up and packing up animations would take resource and dev time away from other things that would be more interesting, better parc ferme celebrations and lead up to podium etc.

Everything else I agree with, I don't understand why they got rid of the media interaction, added a great dimension to the game. It would be even better combined with a podium cut scene with the podium interviews.

Would also like to see an optional cool down lap now that celebrations are allowed in real F1, do the cool down lap, couple of doughnuts etc.

I would like Codies to give the license to someone else, someone who can make a decent game/sim. These F1 games have been poor since 2010 and with Codies at the helm they wont get any better.

I would like Codies to give the license to someone else, someone who can make a decent game/sim. These F1 games have been poor since 2010 and with Codies at the helm they wont get any better.

Sim F1 games don't make enough money to be a viable option. Grand Prix 4 for example, arguably the last proper F1 sim didn't sell enough at all to warrant a sequel or anything.

And F1 2012-2013 aren't that bad anyway, people just like hating on Codemasters with no concept of business.

Sim F1 games don't make enough money to be a viable option. Grand Prix 4 for example, arguably the last proper F1 sim didn't sell enough at all to warrant a sequel or anything.

And F1 2012-2013 aren't that bad anyway, people just like hating on Codemasters with no concept of business.

The last game Codies made that was any good was the TOCA series and Colin McRae Rally, since then they have gone downhill. They seem to make very nice looking games that lack any feeling from the cars and are full of 'fluff'.

F1 2010 sold 2.19 million across 3 platforms, 2011 sold 2.2 across 7 platforms, 2012 did worse with 1.47 across 3 platforms and 2013 has been terrible with just 670,000 across 3 platforms. I think its about time they gave up the license for someone else to try and do better. It obviously doesn't fit there business model and i wonder what kind of awful sales 2014 will make, unless they pull something pretty special out the bag.

I'd love to see warm up/formation lap, make it an option so **** players dont have to do it, it's not that difficult though.

A parade lap would be amazing too, if you have a great race you want to celebrate a bit I saw someone say, & I totally agree, have a lap and then put it in parc ferme.

I just wonder how the new cars will feel, hopefully realistic, light up the wheels as that massive turbo kicks in :)

The last game Codies made that was any good was the TOCA series and Colin McRae Rally, since then they have gone downhill. They seem to make very nice looking games that lack any feeling from the cars and are full of 'fluff'.

F1 2010 sold 2.19 million across 3 platforms, 2011 sold 2.2 across 7 platforms, 2012 did worse with 1.47 across 3 platforms and 2013 has been terrible with just 670,000 across 3 platforms. I think its about time they gave up the license for someone else to try and do better. It obviously doesn't fit there business model and i wonder what kind of awful sales 2014 will make, unless they pull something pretty special out the bag.

Just because it sold in lower numbers doesn't mean it wasn't good. Its entirely your opinion that TOCA and CMR were there last good games. Colin Mcrae Rally 1 is the only original CMR game to have higher sales than Dirt3 for example.

Richard Burns Rally, Grand Prix 3 and 4, even rFactor don't have massive sales, doesn't make them bad games. So using sales is a poor way of confirming that a game is rubbish and you don't like it.

Just because it sold in lower numbers doesn't mean it wasn't good. Its entirely your opinion that TOCA and CMR were there last good games. Colin Mcrae Rally 1 is the only original CMR game to have higher sales than Dirt3 for example.

Richard Burns Rally, Grand Prix 3 and 4, even rFactor don't have massive sales, doesn't make them bad games. So using sales is a poor way of confirming that a game is rubbish and you don't like it.

RBR, GP3+4 and rFactor are PC only titles, i would expect their sales to be lower, but the F1 series is multi-platform and the sales are dropping drastically.

Plus it isn't just me who thinks it's poor, the net is full of comments that back my opinion up. The videos iv seen of F1 2012 and 13 are terrible, racing in the rain using full power and the engine is redlining but the car is pointing straight, it is rubbish, you would be in the barriers if you drove like that, not to mention the scripted AI, poor feeling from the cars, terrible FFB. I could go on but you get the idea.

Time for someone who knows what they are doing to have a crack at it.

RBR, GP3+4 and rFactor are PC only titles, i would expect their sales to be lower, but the F1 series is multi-platform and the sales are dropping drastically.

Plus it isn't just me who thinks it's poor, the net is full of comments that back my opinion up. The videos iv seen of F1 2012 and 13 are terrible, racing in the rain using full power and the engine is redlining but the car is pointing straight, it is rubbish, you would be in the barriers if you drove like that, not to mention the scripted AI, poor feeling from the cars, terrible FFB. I could go on but you get the idea.

Time for someone who knows what they are doing to have a crack at it.

RBR was multi platform, PC, PS2 and Xbox.

Also, please tell me you have actually played the games and aren't basing it on opinion and videos?

Also, who would you define as someone who knows what they are doing?

Did you watch the Australian Grand Prix?

The cars are now extremely difficult to drive. If Codemasters were to accurately re-create that, then the only thing they are going to do it cause a lot of people to give up in frustration.

Remember, they are not just making a game for hardcore fans. They need to take into account the casual gamers among us. And while I am a hardcore fan of the sport, I am only a casual gamer, and I don't want a hardcore simulator. I don't have the time to spend refining my set-up to perfection just to set a competitive lap time. That sounds like a chore. I want to jump in a car and race.

quote="prisonermonkeys, post: 9465765, member: 37023"]Did you watch the Australian Grand Prix?

The cars are now extremely difficult to drive. If Codemasters were to accurately re-create that, then the only thing they are going to do it cause a lot of people to give up in frustration.

Remember, they are not just making a game for hardcore fans. They need to take into account the casual gamers among us. And while I am a hardcore fan of the sport, I am only a casual gamer, and I don't want a hardcore simulator. I don't have the time to spend refining my set-up to perfection just to set a competitive lap time. That sounds like a chore. I want to jump in a car and race.[/quote]

Try playing Nascar Racing 2003, it's made by papyrus; they essentially now develop iRacing. The game has vast simulation physics while it still is open to newcomers and casual gamers. They do this with a small but precise selection of assists, it works a treat. I think Codemasters should aim for this game model

Did you watch the Australian Grand Prix?

Remember, they are not just making a game for hardcore fans. They need to take into account the casual gamers among us. And while I am a hardcore fan of the sport, I am only a casual gamer, and I don't want a hardcore simulator. I don't have the time to spend refining my set-up to perfection just to set a competitive lap time. That sounds like a chore. I want to jump in a car and race.

Try playing Nascar Racing 2003, it's made by papyrus; they essentially now develop iRacing. The game has vast simulation physics while it still is open to newcomers and casual gamers. They do this with a small but precise selection of assists, it works a treat. I think Codemasters should aim for this game model

NR2003 didn't exactly sell in large numbers. iRacing is funded by subscriptions by the hardcore faithful and John Henry who is mega rich.

Codemasters will aim for a game model that will sell to the masses, not the hardcore elite.

Last edited:
And they are a pretty small studio - they employ no more than a hundred people. They like it like that because it puts pressure on them to maintain a certain level of quality. One bad game could kill them.

Also, I remember trying to play an IndyCar game made by Papyrus, once upon a time. I remember it because it was almost impossible to get through the menus, and once you (finally) started, there was no instruction.

Latest Posts

Back