F1: 2014 on PS4/Xbox One/PC

• Thread starter 0zzy
  • 515 comments
I too am looking forward to the next gen version of F1 by CM, I have always enjoyed the F1 series, of course each game has had its flaws but generally I have loved the career and online experience. The co-op was a great addition and I had some great races, especially when I beat my real life team mate in qualifying and race!

For the next game, I would like to see online time trial leader boards for assists and no assists.

Personally, I don't care for the time consuming animations such as press conferences, podiums etc. Nor do I want to start getting into team management. The WRC games started forcing us to manage a team, staff and development, I don't want to have to worry about this, my job as a driver is to practice, qualify and race. An option to decide where my R&D is going is enough for me.

Personalised driver number is a good idea for online.

The pit stops in F1:CE were a novel idea but for me personally, when it came to pitting, this was my chance to take a swig of my tea and take a few puffs of my woodbine, in a 100% race length I need refuelling too, it's not my job to be changing tyres!

I would also like to see manual pit lane driving when pulling out form the garage and pitting during the race.

Include a greater variety of names that we can choose to be called by, Iceman, Champ etc are proper cheesy, Fifa mange to include all the popular first names of most countries, surely CM can do the same.

Keep all classic content and even include more, the classic cars and tracks were my fave part of F1 2013!

Wonder how the sounds of the new engines will go down, I suppose at least I wont have to keep turning my volume down when I'm racing at 2am to keep the neighbours happy!

I will probably think of more as I am supposed to be working...

Keep all classic content and even include more, the classic cars and tracks were my fave part of F1 2013!
This. I hope they give us an expanded classic mode covering many 60's until 90's legend cars, and include Mclaren and Senna content if they can license it. If they do it will be a day one purchase for me because i'm having heaps of fun just driving them in time trials or doing grand prix with them at the moment in '13.

I like all the suggestions regarding bringing back and introducing more off-track immersion (media & team interactions especially). If you ask me, one of the best things would be to implement a more apparent and clear 'reputation' system regarding on-track behaviour and your standing with the teams.

At present, if you know what you're doing, it's near impossible to receive penalties whilst aggressively defending your position against the computers on any difficulty. Usually they lost bits of their front wing, drop back and you keep coasting along.

Imagine though if all of the teams in career held a constant reputation opinion of your player on a scale, one that was lowered when contact is made with their cars (to varying degrees of severity) when passing whilst attacking, defending or even under blue flags. This reputation scale directly influenced other teams interest in signing you for next season.

This would mean clean, quality overtakes on cars faster than you would herald great rewards and appreciation and possibly contract offers. It would result in a realistic progression up the ranks of cars as well, as it would be more likely as a midfield car that you'd be overtaking slower cars or those around you more often, thereby impressing them, increasing your rep more often with them and receiving more offers from them. Overtake a red bull cleanly in your toro rosso though and herald the rewards of the higher team boss and do your career no end of good.

It would also mean constant trade off decisions would need to be made when defending - i.e relinquishing a position to a much faster car when you are out of position so as not to adversely affect your rep with them for the future, or throw caution to the wind in an attempt to bank those vital points at all costs perhaps later in the season.
Events such as accidentally taking out the race leader when being lapped would be to the massive detriment of your rep with a high up team and as such would be avoided at all costs.

This could create a constantly deep level of immersion in every race as the consequences of racing like a 'Maldonado' would be tangible. Your agent could keep you aware of your reputation with other teams in a general sense to make it easy to plan out career moves and strategy as the years go by.

The rep scale could also be influenced by the usual feats of points, wins, poles, outqualifying your team mate, outperforming your machinery etc (which is probably a system already in the game that at the moment dicates your progression up the ranks).

Let me know what you guys think :)

i would love it if in the 2014 game, there was a new difficulty setting where you would race with 100%, assists on/off your choice, but you have to race on legendary. it would be like how it is in real life, no rewinds no restarts, go in a gravel trap center of it, you are beached and have to retire, small chance of getting out like a 1/100% chance. drivers can switch teams at the end of every season if they want so it mixes things up a bit, more contact between drivers and more chances of getting safety cars etc. i would love this in the game it would make things interesting starting in the caterham or marussia and work my way to the top.

I would like them to add a player mode where you can create an F1 team from scratch. Create team logo, develop car and enter as one of the F1Teams.

I would like them to add a player mode where you can create an F1 team from scratch. Create team logo, develop car and enter as one of the F1Teams.
Yes! And be able to evolve the car each year. :D Even if it just meant a list of unlockable parts from a parts bin or something.

I see some great points there, but i have to disagree with a couple. I like that the season gets mixed up with different drivers scoring well, i would get bored of seeing the same drivers up there. Dominance isn't a good thing over a 5 year career.
Id like more unreliablity issues to mix things up, damage needs to be more realistic, need more safety cars, bring back podium ceremonies, id LOVE to have your own helmet design to really make your own stamp on things.

In an ideal world id love to have the chance to start off with a blank car, start your own team. Then work your way through seasons gradually getting better attracting / unlocking sponsors which then unlocks new parts, engines etc.

be so much more involved i would personally love it..!! start from the very bottom and work up to the top. ;-)

F1 Career Mode:

Season One - Karting! :D

Would love to have a progressive career with different disciplines. Go from Junior Formula competitions and work your way up. Earn sponsors and develop new tech (Something that has been done in other Codemaster titles.)

Makes the game much more evolving. I think Playstation has some sort of Senna licensing thingy going on, but if CM can throw in the MP4/4, then I'm sold.

Codemasters haven't divulged that information with the public.
Which is unusual, because they typically announce around the Spanish Grand Prix.

F1 Career Mode:

Season One - Karting! :D

Would love to have a progressive career with different disciplines. Go from Junior Formula competitions and work your way up. Earn sponsors and develop new tech
The problem with that is that people buy a Formula 1 game to drive Formula 1 cars. Strictly speaking, they could probably make a game that starts with the player in karting, and then GP3 and GP2 ... but that would mean racing for three seasons (at least - GP2 is increasingly becoming a two-year programme, and GP3 is heading the same way) before you could actually start racing in Formula 1.

It might be possible to have the player start as a GP2 driver who joins a Formula 1 team for FP1 sessions. Instead of having R&D objective, the player could have "driver goals" as a kind of tutorial, where you learn the skills needed to compete, and your performances in GP2 could earn an approval rating from Formula 1 teams. Once you have satisfied the objectives, you could be offered a mid-season drive, with the seat determined by approval ratings.

But even that would be pushing it. If you can't jump straight into a race in career mode (allowing for a brief tutorial), it's a hard sell.

@TheCrazySwede 's points are good, a career mode like that would help the diversity and add karts and lower formula cars to the mix, but i'm afraid that will never happen seeing the game sells itself just because of the F1 license so why would they bother...

It isn't possible at all. The licence is for F1 and F1 only.
What if they bought an extra license for karts or British F3? That would be doable no as i don't think those are hugely expensive? How it all fits in with FIA's demands on the game is another question though.

FOM give the licence, not the FIA, as FOM hold the commercial rights to the sport. And I think you will find that FOM also control the rights to GP2 and GP3, as they run in support of the Grands Prix. One of the major criticisms of those categories has been the close relationship with Bernie Ecclestone when other series have had stronger grids, although history has shown the quality of grids relative to one another tends to fluctuate depending on which seats are available at the time.

FOM give the licence, not the FIA, as FOM hold the commercial rights to the sport. And I think you will find that FOM also control the rights to GP2 and GP3, as they run in support of the Grands Prix. One of the major criticisms of those categories has been the close relationship with Bernie Ecclestone when other series have had stronger grids, although history has shown the quality of grids relative to one another tends to fluctuate depending on which seats are available at the time.
So adding GP2 would be perfectly possible?

I assume so - but like I said, people will buy the games to drive Formula 1 cars. They won't want to be forced to race in a feeder series first.

Be interesting to see if they even release a game this year. Last year was so damaging to codemasters in terms of their public relations with fans of the game, even though it was a decent game in the end, this method of sticking your head in the sand after supremely buggy releases is really not the way to go.

For the first time, I'm probably not going to buy a new CM F1 game because of past events. I believe the last one had quite poor sales so it wouldn't surprise me if nothing happens at all and they just stay quiet.

Or has their been an official announcement of a new game in the works?

One can dream, gentlemen! :D

You guys make great points, though.
In reality, I would love to have a re-defined version of F1 2013. I heard that CM is trying to get data from the F1 Team's own simulators, which would be awesome. There were only a handful of issues that bothered me in 2013, mainly the scripted races (AI, Tyre Ware....everything felt linear and not dynamic.)
If they can make those experiences more authentic, and perhaps get Bernie to work on those engine sounds, we'll end up with an awesome product...in my eyes, at least.

Just a random thought, but with the Martini and Smirnoff sponsors, the rating probably won't be E. I guess they could do what they do with the middle eastern races IRL and leave them blank or replace them.

The big problem CM have is the complexity of the new engines and the handling of the cars. They are extremely difficult to drive in real life - Jenson Button has reported wheelspin in fourth gear in a straight line from a standing start - and that could make the handling very frustrating for casual gamers. CM's emphasis on accessability over dedicated, realistic physics might be a drawcard here. From watching the races so far this season, I strongly suspect that even the niche who want hardcore realism would struggle with the handling if their wishes were granted.

Also, @TheCrazySwede, Bernie has no control over the engine sounds. He controls the commercial rights to the sport, not the technical regulations. The engines are naturally quieter because of the emphasis on energy recovery - noise is simply wasted energy.

I'd like the game to bring back full practice, i play with no aids and like creating my own car setup but i don't have enough time plus when the game goes straight into practice 3 you've lost 2 pairs of tyres before i've even started. I think it would be easy to put the option there if people wanted to do it.

The AI could do with some tweaking, they need to make more of an effort to get out of the way on straights cause im always getting stuck behind cars on corners during qualifying and for some reason the AI slow down as soon as they come out corner but on the racing line which is a penalty waiting to happen.

A multi year co-op career would be nice and maybe have more than just 2 players in co-op career, allow players to use different teams would be good to.

Although this might be hard to put in the game it would be amazing if they could give you feedback if your losing time on a certain corner, in real life drives have an update time on there steering wheel saying how much fast or slow they are compared to there last lap. Sometimes its hard to no where your losing time in the sector so some sort of indication or telemetry to look at where you need to improve.

Crazy idea: first-person view for post-race celebrations. After the cut scene in front of the pits, you walk out backand chat with the others. CM could get the drivers to do some voice work, and hire an actor to voice the player. You can either congratulate them or offer a jibe (affecting your relationship with them), then go up on the podium, which would play like a first-person shooter armed with champagne.

Also, KINECT SPORTS RIVALS uses the Kinect to scan the player's face. It's still a charactiture, but it would be fantastic if it could create a degree of realism.

Crazy idea: first-person view for post-race celebrations. After the cut scene in front of the pits, you walk out backand chat with the others. CM could get the drivers to do some voice work, and hire an actor to voice the player. You can either congratulate them or offer a jibe (affecting your relationship with them), then go up on the podium, which would play like a first-person shooter armed with champagne.

Also, KINECT SPORTS RIVALS uses the Kinect to scan the player's face. It's still a charactiture, but it would be fantastic if it could create a degree of realism.

Getting the drivers to record their voices for the game would be awesome, actually. I would love watching virtual post-race press conferences with Kimi! :D

Also, if I'm not mistaken, EA has a face scanning thingy for their FIFA games. I'm pretty sure I tried it once and I had some surprisingly good results. Would be awesome to see this in F1. Also, new helmet designs or perhaps a helmet livery editor :)

I don't think you could do press conferences. It would get repetitive quickly. No, I was think that you could meet the other drivers in the marshalling area before climbing the podium. That would be doable.

I don't think you could do press conferences. It would get repetitive quickly. No, I was think that you could meet the other drivers in the marshalling area before climbing the podium. That would be doable.

Dang, I was looking forward to really long and complicated questions and then only having a "Yes" or a "No" answer when you play as Kimi....or even better, as Mikka during some classic content, if any.

Shortly after F1 2013, Codemasters said that F1 2014 would not have any major new features. Rather, they are going back to F1 2013 and rebuilding it from the ground up.

Back