F1 2018 General Discussion

• Thread starter khr1s
  • 344 comments
She's made out of polygons.
d68.gif

So is the game simulating dirty air? I feel like I lost downforce while following too closely through the alleyway in Baku, but I'm not sure if my tires were heating up from it as well.

I'm having a difficult time finding a difficulty appropriate for me.

I started at 25, and it was far too easy for me. I restarted career mode after a single practice session and moved the difficulty to 50.

The first race saw me win the pole by quite a bit, but my inexperience in F1 showed and I finished 14th.

The next race was much better as I got the pole and finished the race off with a win. I didn't want it to be that easy, so I raised the difficulty to 80.

So now the Chinese GP. Once again I had a top 3 car, but I screwed up and retired late in the race.

Now I'm at Baku, and I am so confused. I'm not even close to pace anymore. I'm still at level 80, but it seems much more difficult. In practice I was last, a few seconds off the car ahead of me.

I signed with Haas, and my goal is to find a difficulty that makes me a top 10 car with an occasional chance to win.

Maybe I'll drop the difficulty to 70 and see how that goes.

@TheGeologist ,

Accept that Baku is a difficult track to get right.

And you can change the difficulty between weekends. So before you proceed in your carreer. Practice the next track for at least 50 laps.

@TheGeologist

Do you upgrade your car in the R&D tree?

The other AI teams will continuously upgrade and improve their cars.

Also, what kind of assists are you using? Oh and do you use a controller or a wheel?

Seconded that Baku is a tough track. I spent most of the race changing fuel and ERS settings to maximize my pace.

I'm having a difficult time finding a difficulty appropriate for me.

I started at 25, and it was far too easy for me. I restarted career mode after a single practice session and moved the difficulty to 50.

The first race saw me win the pole by quite a bit, but my inexperience in F1 showed and I finished 14th.

The next race was much better as I got the pole and finished the race off with a win. I didn't want it to be that easy, so I raised the difficulty to 80.

So now the Chinese GP. Once again I had a top 3 car, but I screwed up and retired late in the race.

Now I'm at Baku, and I am so confused. I'm not even close to pace anymore. I'm still at level 80, but it seems much more difficult. In practice I was last, a few seconds off the car ahead of me.

I signed with Haas, and my goal is to find a difficulty that makes me a top 10 car with an occasional chance to win.

Maybe I'll drop the difficulty to 70 and see how that goes.

Cough, splutter, ahem - Stick the 3D racing line on: corners only if you don't want it all the time - it'll help with braking points and showing you when you're on the edge - Cough, splutter, ahem.

I'll leave now. ;)

Seems like half my qualifying sessions happen in rainstorms in 2017 it's ridonculous! Anybody else notice that and does 2018 fix it?
Have yet to come across a qualifying session in rain/snow/ice/waterfall/hurricane...

Though I have only done about 7 races in career mode.

Have yet to come across a qualifying session in rain/snow/ice/waterfall/hurricane...

Though I have only done about 7 races in career mode.

Just did China last night and FP1, and the first half of FP3 was raining. Qualifying started wet and then went dry... was pretty cool.

Ive just finished Hungary and there hasnt been a safety car all season so far - have they not turned it on?! There was a massive pileup in Austria so why wouldnt it come out...

Seems like half my qualifying sessions happen in rainstorms in 2017 it's ridonculous! Anybody else notice that and does 2018 fix it?

2017 is where the codies said "hey, we can really do weather", so, in their enthusiasm, we ended up with a lot of it.

2018 seems a bit more down to earth in that respect - at least so far.

Regarding Baku I just did what I could in the practices and went out of Q1 then simulated the race.

Just got a safety car out at Catalunya at lap 25 of 66.

Not sure who crashed but sure a new experience for me in this game. :dopey:

Also, the fuel 'bug/glitch' is still there, albeit not as severe as earlier before patch 1.05.

Guys, I need to ask something. Would F1 2018 be worth getting if you're not a fan of watching it on TV? It looks like it may be great to play but do you need to be an ardent F1 fan to do so? Also, do you need to be technically minded to setup your car or can you just race "out of the box" as it were? Many thanks!

To your first question, I think it would help to be a fan of F1 but don't think it's absolutely imperative. I mean, Project Cars & Forza, obviously, have more variety, as well as open-wheel race cars. I'm a pretty big fan - but I also like almost all forms of racing.

No, you don't have to be a race engineer to play this game. I rarely do much to set my car up past a few minor tweaks (brake bias, tire pressures, etc.) and even then I don't always need to. I run the game on 70-85% (depending on the track - as I REALLY suck at some of them, and others do pretty well) and that keeps it competitive for me and keeps me from "winning" in a McLaren. Would think that if you are running at a pretty high setting, ie. 90% or above, that setting up your car would probably get you better performance, but I'm not that guy. :D

It is a really, really good game though - but again, I love open wheel racing games (as well as bike games). Will say that the career is pretty satisfying, and I also love the few classic F1 cars they've included. If you can, maybe rent it somewhere, or just pick it up used in another week or two. Some people buy Madden or FIFA every year, I buy the F1 offering... :cheers:

Simple and stupid question at the same time: - Is it possible to have a Champonship run WITHOUT having to deal with R&D management? Is it an available mode?

Cheers.

Simple and stupid question at the same time: - Is it possible to have a Champonship run WITHOUT having to deal with R&D management? Is it an available mode?

Cheers.

There's a straight-forward "Championship" mode that you can craft the entire 2018 season from but not deal with contracts/R&D/what-have-you. I cover it briefly in the first section of the GTPlanet review on the game. 👍

This game is full of surprises...

During the Monaco Grand Prix and the formation lap just before the race, half way through the lap both Stoffel Vandoorne and Pierre Gasly got disqualified... I was like :lol: :odd: :boggled: :eek: :dunce: :lol:

When coming around the last corners just before the start straight, they both just stood still in their grid location. Freaking weird! :crazy:

Does F1 2018 simulate real life in as much as do the better cars like Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull almost always perform better than the shyte ones? If you picked a poor team/car would it be a lot harder to gain a podium finish?

Does F1 2018 simulate real life in as much as do the better cars like Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull almost always perform better than the shyte ones? If you picked a poor team/car would it be a lot harder to gain a podium finish?

Yes pretty much. However there is one caveat - you need to set the AI difficulty level appropriately to your particular skill level. Too low and you'll storm the field with a Sauber, and too high and you'll be a back marker with a Merc or Ferrari.

As a qualifier to the above statement - there are very talented people who could probably storm the entire career mode in a Sauber at difficulty 110%. However for the rest of us getting the right difficulty level in order to get realistic results can involve quite a bit of trial and error.

Yes pretty much. However there is one caveat - you need to set the AI difficulty level appropriately to your particular skill level. Too low and you'll storm the field with a Sauber, and too high and you'll be a back marker with a Merc or Ferrari.

As a qualifier to the above statement - there are very talented people who could probably storm the entire career mode in a Sauber at difficulty 110%. However for the rest of us getting the right difficulty level in order to get realistic results can involve quite a bit of trial and error.
Very much this. I recommend doing some single races to find a good AI level before starting the career mode

Very much this. I recommend doing some single races to find a good AI level before starting the career mode

And the nice thing is you can adjust the Ai difficulty between weekends. Not between sessions, but at least you can between weekends.

So I played a 25% distance race in the rain at Paul Ricard, and several cars never boxed. I thought tire changes were mandatory, does rain change that rule?

I've figured out my issues with not finding a difficulty for me.

Apparently I just stuck at street courses. I experienced the same super off pace issues at Monaco. I dropped the difficulty from 80 to 75 before that race, but like Baku, I was trash.

Right now I'm a mid pack car at typical circuits which is pretty nice. I think I can win more as I get more acclimated to the game and F1.

Any tips to find success at a street circuit?

I'm on a T150 by the way.

I've figured out my issues with not finding a difficulty for me.

Apparently I just stuck at street courses. I experienced the same super off pace issues at Monaco. I dropped the difficulty from 80 to 75 before that race, but like Baku, I was trash.

Right now I'm a mid pack car at typical circuits which is pretty nice. I think I can win more as I get more acclimated to the game and F1.

Any tips to find success at a street circuit?

I'm on a T150 by the way.

Practice. :)

Back