F1 2018 General Discussion

• Thread starter khr1s
  • 344 comments
I've figured out my issues with not finding a difficulty for me.

Apparently I just stuck at street courses. I experienced the same super off pace issues at Monaco. I dropped the difficulty from 80 to 75 before that race, but like Baku, I was trash.

Right now I'm a mid pack car at typical circuits which is pretty nice. I think I can win more as I get more acclimated to the game and F1.

Any tips to find success at a street circuit?

I'm on a T150 by the way.

Yep - I'm the same. There's just no flow or rhythm to street courses that I can find, and therefore I can never get into the zone with them.

I've figured out my issues with not finding a difficulty for me.

Apparently I just stuck at street courses. I experienced the same super off pace issues at Monaco. I dropped the difficulty from 80 to 75 before that race, but like Baku, I was trash.

Right now I'm a mid pack car at typical circuits which is pretty nice. I think I can win more as I get more acclimated to the game and F1.

Any tips to find success at a street circuit?

I'm on a T150 by the way.

Laps and down force. . . For me, TT is my friend for any street circuit. Making laps without touching a wall, then slowly start building speed by taking the car deeper into a turn, braking later and later. One thing that helped me is to turn off the driving line - finding your own braking markers is essential to getting good lap times. I can make it around the track fairly well with it on, but was never fast (hehe, I' still not...) but when I turned off the "racing line", even if just in the corners, it made me better and faster.

Seriously, practice 1 sector at a time, and yes lots of downforce, and raise the ride height.

Personally i hate Monaco, but love Baku and Sochi! Singapore is okish, but the AI are very fast there, and you have to drive like a berk to keep up with them.

I'm on a T150 too. ;)

So I played a 25% distance race in the rain at Paul Ricard, and several cars never boxed. I thought tire changes were mandatory, does rain change that rule?

Yes, when it rains, drivers no longer have to use 2 different compounds of tires, so @25% - they could do the "race" on one set of Wets or Inters...

I found that I am alot quicker than the AI at Monaco and Baku compared to races like Australia and Catalunya.

First race at Australia I ended up 17th, with 75% AI difficulty. But won easily (well just by a tenth) at Baku, then 3rd at Catalunya. So I turned it up to 80% for Monaco and qualified 2nd, and finished 1st by some 20 odd seconds. This is all at 100% race distance with Williams (and some upgrades).

Maybe I am getting better at the game, but street tracks seems to favour me more than race tracks. :odd:

Can also confirm that in the rain you can use only intermediates for a 100% race if you want.

Yes, when it rains, drivers no longer have to use 2 different compounds of tires, so @25% - they could do the "race" on one set of Wets or Inters...

Thanks I was under the impression that a driver would still have to use 2 sets of inters. I guess that's an easy way to cut about 20 seconds off of my race time

Does anyone else have any trouble getting their F1 car turned in and around the Grand Hotel Hairpin? In the Toro-Rosso I'm struggling to get it turned around the hairpin without hitting the outside wall and the slower I go the worse it seems to get.

Does anyone else have any trouble getting their F1 car turned in and around the Grand Hotel Hairpin? In the Toro-Rosso I'm struggling to get it turned around the hairpin without hitting the outside wall and the slower I go the worse it seems to get.
Are you using a controller? Increasing the steering saturation (or something like that in the settings) unlocks the full steering lock. This worked in 2017, idk about 2018.

I found that I am alot quicker than the AI at Monaco and Baku compared to races like Australia and Catalunya.

First race at Australia I ended up 17th, with 75% AI difficulty. But won easily (well just by a tenth) at Baku, then 3rd at Catalunya. So I turned it up to 80% for Monaco and qualified 2nd, and finished 1st by some 20 odd seconds. This is all at 100% race distance with Williams (and some upgrades).

Maybe I am getting better at the game, but street tracks seems to favour me more than race tracks. :odd:

Can also confirm that in the rain you can use only intermediates for a 100% race if you want.
Very much the case with me. I have very little knowledge of Australia, as I've only driven on it once or twice before in F1 2013. Same as Baku - never driven on that track before. Didn't do well in either of those races. Yet I say that and I win in Canada, a track I have NEVER raced on. I also did well on Catalunya, Bahrain and Shanghai as I know their layouts better. One exception is Monaco, as that is EXTREMELY tough on a controller.

Just finished season 1, had a bonkers last race with 6 Safety Car periods, for sure a glitch in the game as there were no incidents when the SC was deployed....

And half way through the race, minding my own business, and then......

:confused: 💡 :dopey: :lol:

My attempt at Singapore Perfection a la Hamilton! :D

I know this isn't the real racing thread but sheesh! Hamilton's lap today was unbelievable. I really wanted to see Max on pole but sometimes you just have to respect what the other guy pulled off.

People have been trying to write off Hamilton for years as just driving the best car, but this season he's proving he's the best driver on the grid.

I wait a lap after, then pit just to hold up my teammate. I deliberately stick it in the wall at Monaco and singapore so i dont have to race them because they are not nice to drive.

I wait a lap after, then pit just to hold up my teammate. I deliberately stick it in the wall at Monaco and singapore so i dont have to race them because they are not nice to drive.
Singapore is my favourite track fun wise.

This game really amazes me! :cheers:

Had one of the most insane race i've ever seen or played in the game.

Story time:

Bumped difficulty up to 90 in FP1 of the Austrian GP at Red Bull Ring. I qualified 3rd after an incredible flying lap, but was moved up to 2nd after Hamilton received a penalty for changing parts. Bottas was in pole. During the first lap, 2 cars (Vettel and Sainz) went out of the race and safety car comes out. After the safety car goes back in the pit, we resume racing for some odd 20 laps with no notable things happening. Then about half way into stint 2, around lap 27 or something, Grosjean and Hamilton has difficulties, resulting in DNF for both drivers. Virtual safety car is now on. Then fast forward to around lap 55 and a message pops up that Stroll (my teammate) is disqualified for causing severe collision with Ocon, and that causes the safety car to come out again.... Now, the safety car crashes into Stroll and Ocon (who crashed just on pit exit), and forces Raikkonen and Hartley to crash into the safety car!!! A 4 car + safety car crash and suddenly only 12 drivers left on the grid.
26067fs.jpg

nwy72w.jpg

Safe to say that my 7th place before the crash, quickly became a fight with Ricciardo and Verstappen for 2nd, 3rd and 4th place. Ended up separating the Red Bull drivers. Quite happy with that race! :dopey:

35modvl.jpg

35dc18z.jpg

I really need to start recording this mayhem! :lol:

This game really amazes me! :cheers:

Had one of the most insane race i've ever seen or played in the game.

Story time:

Bumped difficulty up to 90 in FP1 of the Austrian GP at Red Bull Ring. I qualified 3rd after an incredible flying lap, but was moved up to 2nd after Hamilton received a penalty for changing parts. Bottas was in pole. During the first lap, 2 cars (Vettel and Sainz) went out of the race and safety car comes out. After the safety car goes back in the pit, we resume racing for some odd 20 laps with no notable things happening. Then about half way into stint 2, around lap 27 or something, Grosjean and Hamilton has difficulties, resulting in DNF for both drivers. Virtual safety car is now on. Then fast forward to around lap 55 and a message pops up that Stroll (my teammate) is disqualified for causing severe collision with Ocon, and that causes the safety car to come out again.... Now, the safety car crashes into Stroll and Ocon (who crashed just on pit exit), and forces Raikkonen and Hartley to crash into the safety car!!! A 4 car + safety car crash and suddenly only 12 drivers left on the grid.
26067fs.jpg

nwy72w.jpg

Safe to say that my 7th place before the crash, quickly became a fight with Ricciardo and Verstappen for 2nd, 3rd and 4th place. Ended up separating the Red Bull drivers. Quite happy with that race! :dopey:

35modvl.jpg

35dc18z.jpg

I really need to start recording this mayhem! :lol:

Reading that was more exciting than the Singapore gp

I'm loving this game from a driving point of view - the Codies seemed to have nailed it in terms of giving us an immersive F1 experience. The FFB is brilliant totally giving the impression of tons of grip, until there isn't. And it all flows along nicely at 60 FPS, until...

...you hit hit the replay. Jesus. it's eye tearing. There's so much "chugging" it's unbelievable, even with just one car on track. When it does hit 60 FPS it looks good, but it simply can't maintain that, nor can it at 30 FPS in some instances. OK I'm on a PS4 pro, which isn't exactly the top end of graphics performance, but it is set to 1080p output simply for the reason that framerate is king and "pretty pretty" isn't

I think the Codies need to look at this and get rid of the superfluous effects such as the mist, heat haze, and animated flags and crowd if the console can't handle it, or at least allow us to choose in much the same way as you can on a PC game.

That aside it's still a damed good game.

I'm really enjoying this game, especially the updated handling. It feels awesome.

But I'm having problems finding the right brake settings. I have a Logitech G920, and I was wondering what brake settings other people were using in this game. I was also looking into modding the brake pedal, most likely with the Nixim progressive brake mod, but I was wondering if others had success with that.

Also, hi, I'm new here! Big F1 fan that has recently gotten into sim racing.

I messed around with the brake pedal a bit last night with the G920. I set brake saturation to 85, the other brake settings at 0. It's still a bit too stiff for my liking, but it was much easier. I feel like I have to brake a lot earlier than videos I see online since it takes a ton of pressure for the brakes to kick in. I didn't have much time to mess around with it, but I did put in a 1:18.6 at Hockenheimring in the Force India. I thought that was a decent time. I gotta get paid again before I go for the Nixim brake pedal mod, but I think that's the route I'm going to take.

I messed around with the brake pedal a bit last night with the G920. I set brake saturation to 85, the other brake settings at 0. It's still a bit too stiff for my liking, but it was much easier. I feel like I have to brake a lot earlier than videos I see online since it takes a ton of pressure for the brakes to kick in. I didn't have much time to mess around with it, but I did put in a 1:18.6 at Hockenheimring in the Force India. I thought that was a decent time. I gotta get paid again before I go for the Nixim brake pedal mod, but I think that's the route I'm going to take.
I'm not gonna say what you must do, but I would rather save up money for a F1 wheel add on for a wheel like T300 RS GT or even T500 RS.

Definitely an option i'm looking at. My G27 is working just fine at the moment, but I feel I can get alot more out of a real setup with a proper wheel.

If you increase brake pressure in your setup, you will brake harder.

I'm not gonna say what you must do, but I would rather save up money for a F1 wheel add on for a wheel like T300 RS GT or even T500 RS.

Definitely an option i'm looking at. My G27 is working just fine at the moment, but I feel I can get alot more out of a real setup with a proper wheel.
I would eventually like to move towards a more realistic set up, but I just don't have the means right now. But for ~$20 I can get that brake mod, which is a much easier pill to swallow. I've only had my wheel for about a year, and don't have the time to really justify a more expensive set up. I'm hoping once things settle in my life in the next year or so I can start looking at like a Fanatec set up or something like that.

If you increase brake pressure in your setup, you will brake harder.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Logitech software! I will mess around with that for sure.

I gotta get paid again before I go for the Nixim brake pedal mod, but I think that's the route I'm going to take.

If you're that short on money, do not get the Nixim mod. I got it, and yes the brake pedal is stiffer, but the rubber travel blocker is useless.

G920 pedals is a good piece of kit. Cherish it.

Back