F1 2018 Testing ThreadFormula 1 

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 112 comments
Red flag! Alonso in the gravel missing a wheel!

fernando-alonso-mclaren-mcl33-crash-15938931

Great start of testing.... :confused::ouch:

Spy.

I guess they must have some leftover Honda wheel locks and tethers, McLaren can’t be the one to be blamed... right? :banghead:

Morning times:

1) Ricciardo (Red Bull) 1:20.179

2) Bottas (Mercedes) 1:20.349

3) Raikkonen (Ferrari) 1:20.506

4) Hulkenberg (Renault) 1:20.547

5) Hartley (Toro Rosso) 1:22.371

6) Stroll (Williams) 1:22.452

7) Grosjean (Haas) 1:23.092

8) Alonso (McLaren) 1:24.202

9) Ericsson (Sauber) 1:24.897

10) Mazepin (Force India) 1:25.628

Ricciardo is 1 second off Hamilton's Q3 time from last year and equalled his own Q3 time from last year.

I'm finishing up the STR13 reveal now, but I can't believe this. If, by some weird occurrence Toro Rosso outpaces McLaren, I fear Alonso may go insane. He's literally too good to be in the predicament he's found himself in over the past handful of years.

adb
Wasn't joking though, I just meant this b*ll**** idea that everything that went wrong last three years was on Honda, and McLaren was faultless

Well that seems like a personal issue, with certain members of the F1 viewing crowd. It's obvious that two sets of engineers worked on the cars over those years, Honda and McLaren engineers. They're both at fault, and if anyone had a sliver of memory wouldn't have given McLaren a free pass, cause before Honda they screwed things up frequently. This isn't surprising.

Well that seems like a personal issue, with certain members of the F1 viewing crowd. It's obvious that two sets of engineers worked on the cars over those years, Honda and McLaren engineers. They're both at fault, and if anyone had a sliver of memory wouldn't have given McLaren a free pass, cause before Honda they screwed things up frequently. This isn't surprising.
I mean this is the same team got beaten in 2014 by Williams with the same engine, badly too.

Ricciardo is 1 second off Hamilton's Q3 time from last year and equalled his own Q3 time from last year.

I wouldn't read too much into the times though. The track has been resurfaced since the last time they drove here, so no doubt that will influence the times too.

Not sure if I am imagining this, but McLaren are currently fastest? Not to read too much into times but that was a competitive time...

Not sure if I am imagining this, but McLaren are currently fastest? Not to read too much into times but that was a competitive time...
Vandoorne’s run was on hyper-soft tyres, as opposed to the Softs on the Mercedes of Bottas.

It seems to be too cold right now to testdrive and get some usefull information to analyze?

Well done Stoffel! Max had a fuel leakage "problem" which is already solved. Tie wraps/duct tape always works

Worrying few laps on the board for McLaren...

From what I’ve read the best looking (performance wise) top two cars are unsurprisingly the Ferrari and the Mercedes

I'm finishing up the STR13 reveal now, but I can't believe this. If, by some weird occurrence Toro Rosso outpaces McLaren, I fear Alonso may go insane. He's literally too good to be in the predicament he's found himself in over the past handful of years.

Renault engine fails in Australia. Rage quit Fernando.

lol, what a waste of time this first testing event has been. System checks and a bit of aero data are all that has really been gained. Could make the start of the season more interesting as teams are still working things out.

Is it actually that expensive to go to Bahrain? Or anywhere in Mid East? I wouldn’t be shocked if there was a track willing to pay for at least a part of transport

adb
Is it actually that expensive to go to Bahrain? Or anywhere in Mid East? I wouldn’t be shocked if there was a track willing to pay for at least a part of transport

I think it's more to do with being a couple of hours away from the factory rather than on the other side of the world. If you want to replace/modify/build parts overnight it's a bugger of a job to get them to Bahrain but easy to get them to Barcelona.

Back