F1 2018 Testing ThreadFormula 1 

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 112 comments
I think it's more to do with being a couple of hours away from the factory rather than on the other side of the world. If you want to replace/modify/build parts overnight it's a bugger of a job to get them to Bahrain but easy to get them to Barcelona.
True, but still, not testing few parts because they can’t ship them overnight would be better than not testing at all right?

Anyway if it’s just one off for weather, then it’s a moot point, but if it’s more of a permanent climate change, then maybe they could move testing back to Jerez or maybe even Algarve (even though it’s raining there right now, but it’s 15C)

Just what should we make of McLaren's pace so far?
Not much, the only team to run hypers extensively, maybe other teams will try a quali run before the end of test. But even then I will hold back the judgement until Q3 in Australia

I think Honda have done more laps in this test than they did during the first half of the season in 2017 xD

It's funny how the teams will tell you that it's testing, and the times don't matter. But in reality, it doesn't seem that way-they are all there, watching each other, tweeting out fast laps, etc., the competitiveness is always there, testing or no.

I certainly like seeing my team closer to the top than the bottom. But if they are at the bottom I can say 'It's just testing and doesn't matter!'

Is anyone else here so far that they want Toro Rosso to beat McLaren in every way possible?

Is anyone else here so far that they want Toro Rosso to beat McLaren in every way possible?
Sort of, but I want to see Alonso fighting for podiums even more. Ideally, Mclaren beating STR in races (by far), but STR being close to or even topping speed charts, so we get RBR-Honda WDC/WCC 2019 :D

It's funny how the teams will tell you that it's testing, and the times don't matter. But in reality, it doesn't seem that way-they are all there, watching each other, tweeting out fast laps, etc., the competitiveness is always there, testing or no.

I certainly like seeing my team closer to the top than the bottom. But if they are at the bottom I can say 'It's just testing and doesn't matter!'

Testing always means everything.

Testing is where slow teams use it as an excuse for having a dog of a car, and not being ready, and trying to keep the sponsors optimistic. For the fastest teams they use testing as a means of pressing down the hype, and not meeting too high expectations at the start which they cannot meet.

Just my thought.

*raises hand*

With the "we're the best and would lap everyone twice per race but the Honda engine sucks, you know" attitude McLaren has had for a few years now, I really do. It might also clear some of the illusions about Alonso being the mythical superman who always has bad luck while in reality his only successes came with a superb car and preferential treatment.

*raises hand*

With the "we're the best and would lap everyone twice per race but the Honda engine sucks, you know" attitude McLaren has had for a few years now, I really do. It might also clear some of the illusions about Alonso being the mythical superman who always has bad luck while in reality his only successes came with a superb car and preferential treatment.

Do you have, by any chance, a flame suit ready?

illusions about Alonso being the mythical superman who always has bad luck while in reality his only successes came with a superb car and preferential treatment
No flames intended, but where would you rate Alonso on current grid? And how would you rate his 2010/2012 seasons?

adb
No flames intended, but where would you rate Alonso on current grid? And how would you rate his 2010/2012 seasons?

Well in 2010 through to 2012 he was over 100 points ahead of his teammate, though Massa was never the same after the accident. It's tough at best to compare. I'm sure being in the slower car has only helped him train his driving more.

I don't want them to. I just think they will. McLaren have messed it up every season since 2012. I don't see anything changing now.

adb
Alonso, realistic and aging a bit, has recently acknowledged there are some other drivers quicker than him in qualifying, in the rain, etc. He is one of the better racers, but no superman. I put him 5th/6th on grid if the car comes really good. That said, in his day he was awesome, like when he passed Schumacher on the outside at 130R.

If anyone is looking for a Spotter guide this season, here ya go.

FB_IMG_1520011112094.jpg

Really nice to see Toro Rosso and Honda just chugging along all week. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Seems to be battery problem. They have been spotted rolling through the pit lane after the installation lap without the engine running too.

That failure must have been down to overheating, they even added more holes in the engine cover and changed a couple of other little things in that area and yet there are still burn marks on the car. Only 17 C at the track atm, good luck in Bahrain!

abcb04d3-d626-4fc7-a629-1829d4197251_800.jpg

That failure must have been down to overheating, they even added more holes in the engine cover and changed a couple of other little things in that area and yet there are still burn marks on the car. Only 17 C at the track atm, good luck in Bahrain!

abcb04d3-d626-4fc7-a629-1829d4197251_800.jpg

It'll be interesting to see the Honda's reliability in a non Mclaren designed car.

If the Honda stays reliable and the Renault engine is hopeless in the McLaren, questions need to be asked about the cars fundamental design

It'll be interesting to see the Honda's reliability in a non Mclaren designed car.

If the Honda stays reliable and the Renault engine is hopeless in the McLaren, questions need to be asked about the cars fundamental design

Well.. McLaren was not doing so hot in their last year with the Merc engine. They have been questionable in my mind for many years. It was easy to blame Honda as they were new but McLaren were always part of the problem IMO.

It would appear, at least at this early stage, that the Haas is working well. KMag has the best lap on Supersofts so far (of anyone), and had the fastest final sector today with about half hour to go in the session. Not bad for a car with 'simple' aerodynamics. They also have a decent lap total and nothing fell off the car, which is always good. Hopefully Grosjean feels comfortable and can get the car to perform in a similar fashion tomorrow.

McLaren? Getting what they deserve, unfortunately. Alonso was brutally critical of Honda in public, and the team was little better as time passed. At least young Stoff kept it professional for the most part. The start of testing this year hasn't completely vindicated Honda, but it sure goes a long way.

Very impressive lap count by both Ferrari and Mercedes today. Also saw an interview with James Allison where he said the tighter packaging of the Merc side pods had given about a quarter of a second in lap time alone.

Does someone know a good source where I could read about this Mercedes new engine? I heard some people saying it’s supposed to “end the championship before it even starts”.

Latest Posts

Back