F1 2019 General Discussion Thread

Usually if you mid race save yes it will launch into replay mode and you effectively "flashback" into the race. For me A skips most of everything on Xbox so maybe check your mapping?
Do you have any idea if A is the equivalent of maybe Enter on PC? Could you do me a favor and go into the control settings and see what function A is assigned to?

The thing is, the controls are pretty messed up on PC. I have already remapped twice and I still can't get my head around how it works.
Also, I have a Logitech G13 connected, and each time I get into the game it asks me to assign buttons to it. I even unplugged it once before going into the game and it still asked me to assign buttons to that unplugged G13. Yes, that's right. :)

EDIT: I "fixed" it by plugging in a DS4 (through xinput). How ironic :lol:

Last edited:
I ran my first 3 hours with the game last night (haven't played an F1 game in years) and first impressions are really positive.

Granted, I only managed to actually finish 1 race in that time, the rest was messing with FFB, FOV, setup etc, (never too many options IMO), but I came away eager for more.

And I was pleasantly surprised that it seemed to run very nicely on my standard PS4, the frame rate was smooth (I've only really got pCARS2 to compare it to) and the screen wasn't full of jaggies due to bad AA.

Looks like an decent amount of content and options to keep me busy for a long time, so all in all I think I'm going to enjoy it a lot 👍

Initial impressions after 5 race of my first season - the AI is a big improvement imo,they act a lot more 'human' as they block your line going into the corner,so its much harder to divebomb this time - not seen this kind of realistic AI before. But,it can be infuriating as the amount of times ive clipped someone and my wing has yellow damage - ive flashbacked so many times already.

Ive witnessed some great AI battles in front of me..

Ive just done Baku and Spain today - and two very annoying 11th place finishes! But two very engrossing races just the same.

My TM Ricciardo is having a nightmate so far.....2 DNFs already! Ive noticed Weber in the Haas is doing really well..punching above his weight.

Did couple of races over the weekend, and finally edited it tonight. All of these passes are from other people's mistakes!

Wow,i didnt expect this after Hungary - my TM Ricciardo went to Racing Point,Gasly has come in to me my new TM and Stroll was let go! Id read about possible driver transfer but didnt expect it so soon hehe,a very interesting new inclusion! Does this happen once a season?

After about a month or so of playing, I really like the way this game plays. I haven't played an F1 title for a while so don't have much to compare to but the gameplay is fun and still challenging. The online part I know I'm slow so my low finishes don't bother me, its still fun to race. With the F1 F2 and challenges, I'm sure I'll enjoy this game for quite a while.

Awesome game, one thing tickles me you, during practice/qualifying sessions, where can we see all the lap times we've done? Don't we have access to some telemetry, I find it quite difficult to assess which setup fits best, as so much things will impact the time. Replicating similar conditions (temperature/wind, tire usage) is difficult. Doing it with two sets of tires is very difficult. I'm almost writing my lap times on a piece of paper.
Also do you run the race strategy program for the 3 sets of tires? I guess we have to, but the game seems to present it like one set is enough, but it does not really make sense.

Awesome game, one thing tickles me you, during practice/qualifying sessions, where can we see all the lap times we've done? Don't we have access to some telemetry, I find it quite difficult to assess which setup fits best, as so much things will impact the time. Replicating similar conditions (temperature/wind, tire usage) is difficult. Doing it with two sets of tires is very difficult. I'm almost writing my lap times on a piece of paper.
Also do you run the race strategy program for the 3 sets of tires? I guess we have to, but the game seems to present it like one set is enough, but it does not really make sense.
Race director and results screen will show your fastest lap for that session but I don’t think there’s a way to see all your lap times for a session.

You only run race strategy for 1 set (I always pick the recommended tires) and I’ve found with that it does a good enough job of personalising the race strategy. 1 set should be enough because I think it’s recording how good your tyre and fuel management is over several laps at race pace

You only run race strategy for 1 set (I always pick the recommended tires) and I’ve found with that it does a good enough job of personalising the race strategy. 1 set should be enough because I think it’s recording how good your tyre and fuel management is over several laps at race pace

Yes that's the thing they say recommended tires, usually the softer ones, but that doesn't tell them the strategy for the other half of the race you'll do in Medium or Hard. Last GP I think doing two strategy programs gave me directly the best strategy for the race, I didn't have to adjust the pit stop lap etc, I have the feeling it was more precise (fuel and tires wise).

Funny you should mention this - take a look here

I'm probably very sad for doing so, but I repeat the program 3 times - once for each set. Generally I do the program on hard tyres at the end of P1, the mediums in P2 and the softs in P3. As I opt for the balanced tyre strategy, you only get 2 of the hard tyres and 1 set are saved for the race itself. Therefore the hard tyres have completed a practice program already (I think it's just the track acclimatisation program). The medium and softs are a fresh set though.

Additional note for this race simulation program, I also opt not to use DRS to better replicate a race where I don't expect to have it very often.

Additional note for this race simulation program, I also opt not to use DRS to better replicate a race where I don't expect to have it very often.

I think you're right doing the program 3 times. I'll do that from now on. Yes, not turning DRS on and not doing fuel /gearbox management at all makes complete sense.

Funny you should mention this - take a look here

Good, I'll try that! Seems crazy not to have all the laptimes . Also we lack total live comparison in qualifying, that's strange we can't see that (especially in the first flying laps of the sessions)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody here been doing the “Weekly Races”? I liked the idea of it, but the past 2 weekends (Britain & Classics @ Monaco), I’ve only had 1 other user put into my race lobby, and the rest of the field has been filled with AI cars that seem to be at an extremely low difficulty level. Wondering if anybody has had better luck with finding actual racers in these events? I’m on Xbone and do them late Saturday afternoon in the Central time zone.

I'm probably very sad for doing so, but I repeat the program 3 times - once for each set. Generally I do the program on hard tyres at the end of P1, the mediums in P2 and the softs in P3. As I opt for the balanced tyre strategy, you only get 2 of the hard tyres and 1 set are saved for the race itself. Therefore the hard tyres have completed a practice program already (I think it's just the track acclimatisation program). The medium and softs are a fresh set though.

This is my p1 2 3 programme

P1
Use 2 set of mediums for track acclimatisation/ers programme (1st set of mediums) fuel programme/tyre wear programme (2nd set of mediums)

P2
Race strategy (hard and soft) compound may also do a dummy qualy run and note the laptime.

P3
Race strategy (medium compound)
Qualy run (soft).

Last edited:
I just love the fact that Codemasters really care about AI, it's behavior, challenge be it F1 or the new GRID. Many devs are neglecting this part and I think it's one of the most important aspects of the game, one that could make it or break it as I'm mostly single player guy. I hate it when AIs are just obstacles which you effortlessly overtake, when there are no battles with them. FM4 is a perfect game, I never played it and was looking to buy 360 for it not too long ago but when I seen the gameplays where the players just beat them effortlessly I decided not to... Wish more devs gave AI more effort like Codies do.

I would even add that the AI problem extends to all other Sports games, given the decline in the career mode on FIFA...

Codemasters F1 games have made a mockery of games like Forza and Gran Turismo when for years we have known about the fact the leader is really the visual bunny rabbit to a total race time trial. Even thinking back to the AI in F1 2018 which was very good, and yet they have made yet another leap forward in 2019. Races really are an immersive joy knowing the AI will really make you work for track position.

I’ve never been more satisfied with a racing game’s AI than with a great drive beating faster cars in 2019

My favourite is a 100% AI 50% length Australian GP where I managed to battle and beat both Haas’ and a Racing Point using an Alfa Romeo. Pit stops aside I was battling Both Haas for the entire race and it was such a great feeling when I crossed the finish line ahead of them.

Running 95% currently in the first season. Got some crazy weather in Spa an Monza. Found it difficult to keep the pace with the Mercs and Ferrari under the rain (I run Renault in this first season). The guys behind were way back, but impossible at least in these conditions to keep up with them. 3 GPs in a row I have an engine issue and I lose quickly a bit of power, but it's not that old, I'm quite reluctant to change an engine at 60%... Had my share of rain this season I'd like to have a clean race without any for once.

Got myself also trapped in the pits! I was 2nd in spa when we all went to the pits, and exited in 11th place because I just couldn't exit and let everybody go... They should do something about this.

The pit exit problems are quite big especially in 'short races'. I run them most of the time at 25 percent and almost all the cars try to pit in 2 laps.

One of the 1.07 patch notes says they have tried to address this. I haven't noticed it myself, and even quite often look behind me on exit to see there is my rival right behind me still.

Any advice for race starts? Obviously I get the rpm right and drop the clutch. I seem to either get loads of wheel spin and spear off into the wall, or have to go so slowly to avoid wheel spin that I loose places. I’m playing on a Logitech G29

Latest Posts

Back