F1 201X - Updates & News Discussion

What I've heard of the physics is that it's a cross between 2010 and 2011's physics, and in a good way. I haven't driven it, of course, but what I do hope is that the unreal high speed oversteer you get is no more, as well as the amount of mechanical grip you had at low speed

Though I agree with you on the high speed oversteer (little downforce) and low speed mechanical grip (a bit too much grip IMO) I cant imagine how bringing the 2010 physics back is a good thing :nervous:

And I also agree with Ardius... the views were fine in F1 2011 what needs tweeking is the physics (more high speed downforce, less top speed and acceleration, a bit less power on the DRS and probably also less powerfull KERS), rewrite the tyre simulation (I always get the feeling that its scripped) and of course bug fixing. Improoving textures would also be nice but I would rather have them improove the FPS issues first.

jcm
In my humble opinion, the tyres have been a major element this season, and if they want to make career mode more of a 'career' rather then a bunch of individual races, the first season would be all about you and the team learning what to do about the tyres.
But given the sensitivity of the tyres, there is a serious risk of alienating new players, when Codemasters have stated that they want to make the games more accessible to people who aren't dedicated followers of the sport. The games are notorious for having an incredibly steep learning curve, and the player shouldn't be forced to go an entire season learning how to play the game.

jcm
There are a lot of people who go on full expert, and a huge amount who use full simulation settings.
And there are a lot of people who don't. How is it even remotely fair to them to make the game insanely difficult from the outset?

You might be a dedicated fan of the sport, and that's fine. The option to use a full simulation of the tyres will be there. But you clearly don't understand that Codemasters is making this game for everyone, not just the dedicated fans.

All I'm saying is that they should make it so that when tyre sim is turned on, it's realistic. Tyre sim off for people who are new to the game/F1. That way everyone is happy :)

I don't see the problem at all with making the full-sim version of the game realistically difficult, as long as they make non-sim settings applicable for those who want to play otherwise. Just make it an option, and you still avoid alienating any of your customer base.

prisonermonkeys
... Which is what they've been doing for the past two games.

Which is why I suggested that they incorperate that into the career mode as you and the team learn how to deal with the tyres, if the tyre sim is turned on.

But you're suggesting that the game be structured in such a way where you're not racing to win, but trying to meet objectives with the tyres. You want to turn an entire season into a tutorial, which just defeats the purpose of racing.

prisonermonkeys
But you're suggesting that the game be structured in such a way where you're not racing to win, but trying to meet objectives with the tyres. You want to turn an entire season into a tutorial, which just defeats the purpose of racing.

No. I want the team to help you learn about the tyres, so that you're not left out in the cold with no idea why you're 3 seconds a lap slower then your teammate. At the start of the first season the team won't know too much about the tyres and you'll struggle a little (along with the rest of the field) not knowing how to setup the car, but as the season progresses the team will provide more and more knowledge about the tyres so that by the end of the season you'll know how to setup the car on your own while keeping the tyres in the optimum temperature window.

Just like in the real season. At the start everyone was saying the tyres are a mystery, now they're saying they understand the tyres a lot better. The teams knowledge increases as the season goes on. You'd still be fighting for the win, it'd just be in a more realistic way in which you'd make more mistakes regarding tyre temperatures.

I'm not sure why you're being so argumentative with this?

Out of the current covers I'd choose the Hamilton one, no ugly noses please. But to be truthful I preferred it when the game had your driver and a silhouette of the car on the cover like 2011 and 2010, but I guess they ran out of angles for that one didn't they.

prisonermonkeys
Because you're trying to shift the focus of a racing game away from racing.

Whatever man. This isn't the thread, and I really can't be bothered anymore. I'm not sure how understanding the tyres isn't a part of racing, but clearly you think that, and everyone is entitled to their on opinion.

My favorite is the McLaren, Williams, Caterham cover, as it has my 2 favorite teams (McLaren and Caterham), and Bruno Senna's cool helmet in a Williams :)

A lot of people think the London circuit shown at the Santander press event the other day is pure fantasy, and they're probably right. But it would be nice if Codemasters could include it as a bonus circuit for a little bit of fun.

I quite like all but the Ferrari Cover (mainly because of all the 2012 cars the Ferrari is the most hideous).

Being a McLaren, Lewis and Jenson fan I'll probably get the McLaren one but the Red Bull looks great.

If its possible I wouldn't mind the London GP track. Just if/when it happens.

I quite like all but the Ferrari Cover (mainly because of all the 2012 cars the Ferrari is the most hideous).

Being a McLaren, Lewis and Jenson fan I'll probably get the McLaren one but the Red Bull looks great.

If its possible I wouldn't mind the London GP track. Just if/when it happens.

I don't believe you'll be able to chose which cover to buy at the store.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to.

Although if included, it would probably oly be available in time trial mode, kind of like the Detroit circuit that appeared in F1 05.

Jerez was also availabie in F1 2006 and F1:Championship Edition, though only in Time Trial, as you say. I doubt it's even on the cards, as it isn't a part of the F1 License in any way at the moment.

That london video was Rfactor, or atleast the sounds are from Rfactor. Anyway, I thought the track looked very boring to drive, more of a singapore style street circuit but less glamourous.

jcm
My favorite is the McLaren, Williams, Caterham cover, as it has my 2 favorite teams (McLaren and Caterham), and Bruno Senna's cool helmet in a Williams :)

I actually think that your idea was brilliant. :)

Jerez was also availabie in F1 2006 and F1:Championship Edition, though only in Time Trial, as you say. I doubt it's even on the cards, as it isn't a part of the F1 License in any way at the moment.

Going way back now, F1 World Grand Prix (or was it WGP II?) on Nintendo 64 had a circuit looping through a volcano as an extra!

Back