F1 2021 General Discussion Thread

Made me laugh in ‘my team’ where they show the driver on ‘the simulator’. Boy sat at a small table with his belt drive wheel attached to it infront a small tv. Iam not sure,even my 1st rig was better than that !
Wait till you see the upgrades 😜
I also like how when you watch them on it, it actually does a lap of a track and you can see the FFB kickback.

For those of you who have the game, would you tell me if the upshift tone is working for you?

It's possible you guys aren't even using it but would you try it just to see if I'm alone in this?

The team is flat out, even if they don't respond they've probably seen your report :)

It does, here's a better version:

The Lewis benchmark helped a lot after my first 2 races being wide opposites. 👍

BTW, how are the 50% races setup simulation-wise? My pit strategy constantly wants to do 2 stop races, normally of softs, then mediums and mediums again to finish. I can set the 2nd stint to go longer than default, but it appears as if the strategy doesn't think they'll last and will want to pit again for the 2nd set of mediums, except at that point, there's only a handful of laps so it feels not only pointless but a throw-away opportunity for the AI to win if they're battling me. I'd ideally like to go with the softs, then the hards as many teams do in real life, but the same thing happens with the strategy AI thinking the hards won't last. I've tried to take notice of the AI's pitting after the race, and they don't seem out of the ordinary as many only did 1 and some do 2 with the 1-stop guys generally finishing ahead & being mostly the top-to-top/middle tier teams.

Am I reading the strategy wrong, or should I just ignore it? The team AI does give the notice that there will be tire drop off soon, but I'm not really noticing it even when I pit at the end of the projected pit window.

Last edited:
The Lewis benchmark helped a lot after my first 2 races being wide opposites. 👍

BTW, how are the 50% races setup simulation-wise? My pit strategy constantly wants to do 2 stop races, normally of softs, then mediums and mediums again to finish. I can set the 2nd stint to go longer than default, but it appears as if the strategy doesn't think they'll last and will want to pit again for the 2nd set of mediums, except at that point, there's only a handful of laps so it feels not only pointless but a throw-away opportunity for the AI to win if they're battling me. I'd ideally like to go with the softs, then the hards as many teams do in real life, but the same thing happens with the strategy AI thinking the hards won't last. I've tried to take notice of the AI's pitting after the race, and they don't seem out of the ordinary as many only did 1 and some do 2 with the 1-stop guys generally finishing ahead & being mostly the top-to-top/middle tier teams.

Am I reading the strategy wrong, or should I just ignore it? The team AI does give the notice that there will be tire drop off soon, but I'm not really noticing it even when I pit at the end of the projected pit window.
if you can manage a 1 stop even though the game doesn't think you can, then do the 1 stop. You don't have to pit again if you don't want to/need to

Anyone else having issues with binding controls? It stays on “waiting for input” instead of changing to the button I’m pressing.

Im on a TM wheel on Xbox

You'll probably see that on a few circuits. The difficulty usually gets bumped up a bit each year so if you used say, 95 on Baku last year and then the same this year, its probably now the equivalent of running it at 100 in 2020.

The AI was notoriously unbalanced in F1 2020 circuit to circuit. I believe @PJTierney did a video/write up to dial in a baseline AI difficulty level at Catalunya and then the relevant adjustments needed for each circuit to feel balanced from there. Be interested to know if that still applies to 2021 actually.
Yeah thats the thing. I had the AI pretty nicely set up on 2020 for my level.

And I got it pretty much spot on for Bahrain, Spain and Monaco in 2021... But in Baku it was way off.

I did try the qualifying test at Spain like a some youtubers have suggested, with the fastest cars, the slowest cars and the cars in the 'mid-field'. I will check out the new video from PJ. Thanks.

The theory with mine is that when in you’re in a good car and you put in the effort to have a fast and clean race, then you can feel you earned a win.

Starting the career in F2. There has been some audio glitches (3rd sector of Catalunya) but i’m really enjoying the game.

Last edited:
Update: I have read on Codemasters forums that a few others have the same problem. Definitely a Patch 1.04 problem!

Original text:
Anyone using a wheel having a problem when you start a new session (time trial, grand prix, MyTeam practice/quali/race etc) the wheel rotates HARD to the right upon taking control of the car?!

I just started getting it after the latest patch. Really weird.

Like any session I start, and at the first go it snaps hard right, but if I flashback or restart session there are no problems. Having a high torque wheel makes this super risky as it has almost snapped my right hand thumb a couple of times.

Only happens in F1 2021. I have tried replicating the problem in F1 2020, but it doesnt exist (for me).

Devices used:
PC (steam)
DD Podium F1 wheel/wheelbase
CSL Elite pedals

Edit:
A short video showing the problem. Sorry about the background noise and poor quality. Its hot here so a fan is needed. 😂

Last edited:
Aside from the audio chopping up if I'm in a party on the Xbox, I'm really enjoying the new game.

Not drastically different to 2020 but I enjoyed that too, so still good fun.

I do find it weird I can hire people like Senna and MSC in 'My team' but not Kimi (who seems to have retired before the season started).

Hopefully the alternate tracks and classic cars come back in future titles.

Im very impressed - theyve done something to the handling which makes the cars feel more planted,and you feel you can really chuck them into corners,but then that makes you drive on the 'edge' more - and one false move on a bit of curb and youve ruined the lap. The curbs actually feel like 'objects' now.

Coupled that with the great adaptive triggers and awesome engine sound with transmission whine....its a very nice improvement imo!

Last edited:
I’m enjoying the game a lot. So many game modes to choose, between Braking Point, Career, and I’m interested in creating a season that starts using real life F1 season point standing as they are currently. I’m enjoying the new curbs so far, and getting used to managing the ‘overtake’ button.

I’m not sure if anyone else has experienced this, I cannot hear the DRS prompt audio ‘beep’. I barely notice the DRS symbol coming up on the screen, when I’m able to use DRS. I relied on hearing the beep in games 2017-2019 using default audio settings, without any issue. The beep is so faint in 2021 I do not hear it. I’m using a PS5 with CSL Elite wheel.

Do you have that very annoying audio bug whereby some backgrounds noises are added to the mix in the middle of races? At some point I can't hear my car anymore and only a loop of the cars flying by the starting line (I think it's the background noise for the engineer coms). Obliged to save mid-race / exit the race / load i, because it's just undrivable. And it keeps coming back...

The game so far is ok , I don't understand the difficult settings though , just did Canada as 3rd race of the season in MyTeam at 93 AI, why only ABS (gamepad player) and finished 6th with my awful car. Managed to make my way to Q3 without issue. I put all the rewards to reduced, I'm simulating the free practice, but again the feeling that it will be too easy, I wanna fight with MAZ and MSC , not NOR and RIC!

Enjoying the game, but just started a driver career and the bump in difficulty from Bahrain to Barcelona seemed absolutely insane. Put together a half decent race at Bahrain, finishing 14th in a Williams and generally being competitive with the other drivers at that end of the grid all race. Turned up at Barcelona and got absolutely nowhere near anybody. Was the slowest car on the grid by miles and couldn't do anything to close any sort of gap.

I like the game as well. The graphical leap on Ps5 is less than I expected but still pretty. Tried to do Breaking Point and, maybe it’s me, but man the cringe…. Love the my team mode though. Will spend the rest of my time there.

Enjoying the game, but just started a driver career and the bump in difficulty from Bahrain to Barcelona seemed absolutely insane. Put together a half decent race at Bahrain, finishing 14th in a Williams and generally being competitive with the other drivers at that end of the grid all race. Turned up at Barcelona and got absolutely nowhere near anybody. Was the slowest car on the grid by miles and couldn't do anything to close any sort of gap.
Yeah, check out PJTierney's video and start off using Barcelona as a benchmark against the AI for your difficulty. Then apply his advice to other circuits to keep the racing competitive and constant across the season.

@PJTierney I contacted BarryBL about the Ferrari steering wheel bug, now one report has been tagged "with devs 2021", he even apologized, wow!
I know it's pathological but I only drive the SF21, hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Gameplay.png

They need to fix the IA... 25%/ 13 laps race in Baku, most of the guys in front of me pitting for a 2nd stop when there is safery car at lap 8. I finish 7 with my crap car.

@PJTierney I contacted BarryBL about the Ferrari steering wheel bug, now one report has been tagged "with devs 2021", he even apologized, wow!
I know it's pathological but I only drive the SF21, hopefully it will be fixed soon.

View attachment 1068684
That’s really good to hear. I know I’ve been pretty critical with how disappointed I’ve been with the current state of the bugs and issues in F1 2021, …but I have to say that I really don’t blame the development team themselves in any way.

I think clearly they were set an impossible task with having to have the game ready for such an early release date, especially considering the complications and issues that the pandemic has caused. Really feel like they should have given the development team a lot longer to compensate for the delays and we would have a far more polished game.

I’m sure in the coming weeks and months the game will be really great reach it’s true potential as underneath the issues and bugs you can see the core of the game is really great, …the updated handling model, game audio, more realistic visuals (despite the broken hdr, motion blur and overall grainy appearance) being some of the biggest improvements to this years title.

Last edited:
That’s really good to hear. I know I’ve been pretty critical with how disappointed I’ve been with the current state of the bugs and issues in F1 2021, …but I have to say that I really don’t blame the development team themselves in any way.

I think clearly they were set an impossible task with having to have the game ready for such an early release date, especially considering the complications and issues that the pandemic has caused. Really feel like they should have given the development team a lot longer to compensate for the delays and we would have a far more polished game.

I’m sure in the coming weeks and months the game will be really great reach it’s true potential as underneath the issues and bugs you can see the core of the game is really great, …the updated handling model, game audio, more realistic visuals (despite the broken hdr, motion blur and overall grainy appearance) being some of the biggest improvements to this years title.
This is the most interesting report I have read so far: Shadows under the cars. Can they fix it? I have no clue, but I'm not that much optimistic about it.

This is the most interesting report I have read so far: Shadows under the cars. Can they fix it? I have no clue, but I'm not that much optimistic about it.

I’m sure they’ll fix a lot of the issues in the coming weeks and months. Visual bugs in particular should get ironed out fairly quickly. I could be wrong but I feel like we’re probably still due a fairly substantial patch, like a late day-one patch that addresses good amount of the issues.

It’s funny, even though Dirt 5 did suffer from an annoying performance issue that was introduced in one of the games patches (on PS5), in terms of how the game was for its release date it was relatively bug free when compared to F1 2021 and has also grown to be a better and more fuller featured game over the many months since it’s release. I really hope F1 2021 gets the same amount of love before of course they switch focus to F1 2022 instead.

And both games are absolutely fine on controller, though 2021 has a mild edge I feel.
F1 2020 on my DS4 is good, 2021 is even better, it's smoother and more consistent - same calibration - the car goes 98% where I want it to go. Now I can enjoy the fast Baku's last few corners/kinks without wondering "how will it go this time?"

In Canada, I had a bug where the sound freaked out. Then it happened every time the field passed that corner. I had a safety car after which the AI was a second per lap faster….
But overall this game is great.

pro tip I found on this forum is:
Throttle linearity to 50.

I do hope they fix the shadows of the cars. They are so jagged. It is such a shame, as the circuit shadows are really distint and sharp.

Back