F1 Games - General Discussion

Certainly more negative than positive. And the negative is extremely prominent. Alex Gillon did say it felt good on a controller though.

The handling’s fine on controller from the little I’ve played. Not tried on wheel, mainly because my wheel’s up in the loft somewhere. But after all the controversy and those videos appearing to show the handling and physics were taken straight from Mario Kart, it feels fairly similar to 23 to me.

The handling’s fine on controller from the little I’ve played. Not tried on wheel, mainly because my wheel’s up in the loft somewhere. But after all the controversy and those videos appearing to show the handling and physics were taken straight from Mario Kart, it feels fairly similar to 23 to me.
Agreed. Seems the issues are specific to wheel users perhaps. I've found it very enjoyable on controller so far, the grip level is much more what I would expect from this generation of F1 car, suspension is the most noticeable upgrade in terms of how the cars react.

I also like how each car has the unique characteristics of it's real life counterpart, previous games was very much just felt like a sliding scale of fast to slow. Now there's a lot more nuance and difference between them. Williams feels quite twitchy on low speed corner exit compared to the Mclaren, and has huge top speed on straights, default Mclaren setup was topping out at around 197mph on hangar straight, Williams was around 206mph.

AI so far is mixed, felt a lot more static than previous games but need more time. Graphics are what I would expect, they're not outstanding but they also don't do much wrong.

24 feels like an update to 23 so far - but given I’ve only really ‘discovered’ 23 recently, I don’t care. It’s good. Noticed a few strange things in the AI levels - Zhou qualifying top three etc, but they’ll iron those out. In terms of the way the races play out and how the AI cars react to you and each other, it seems pretty decent so far.

Last edited:
I've been waiting to give my opinion on this game for a bit because I wanted to get past the first impressions. At first I didn't know what to think, I thought 23 was nearly perfect out the gate minus too weak of traction out of corners. 24 stock does not feel good, the car is pointy yet has awful rotation mid corner, but then has great traction out of corners, its was very confusing. After 3 career mode races and a baseline setup from marcel kiefer's youtube, I have found that the game is much more enjoyable now, and the new career mode changes have, in spite of my trepidations, actually been a massive improvement over the way career mode felt before. I can say this game is better than 23 in most ways.

Most noticeable change with the handling I noticed is the weight transfer is much more pronounced when making multiple rapid changes of direction in quick succession. In F1 24 it feels like you have to wait for the suspension to pick up the slack first before the car will actually respond, which is much more realistic in my opinion
Only real issue I’ve noticed is the cars roll around a little bit too much

1efeb5df-8e06-4b5a-9ba8-2876173d3dc7.png
3e6f52e8-1d3f-48ba-ab19-7dcffacc5d1d.png
94833174-9d10-4cbe-9ea6-ff410344aaa3.png

I'm quite enjoying the driver career, and how it's not just a pared down version of the team career now. Having to manage multiple rivalries and also deal with an active power dynamic between me and my teammate is doing wonders to making me feel like I'm having to deal with all the backroom politics that a real F1 driver has to contend with.

I decided my ultimate goal was going to be taking the #1 driver seat at Ferrari, which means an extended purgatory in Haas, and watching Magnussen trying to force through more power upgrades when I'm quite aware that our cars are as light and aerodynamic as a pallet of cinderblocks has been juuuuuust a bit frustrating, to say the least...

I'm quite enjoying the driver career, and how it's not just a pared down version of the team career now. Having to manage multiple rivalries and also deal with an active power dynamic between me and my teammate is doing wonders to making me feel like I'm having to deal with all the backroom politics that a real F1 driver has to contend with.

I decided my ultimate goal was going to be taking the #1 driver seat at Ferrari, which means an extended purgatory in Haas, and watching Magnussen trying to force through more power upgrades when I'm quite aware that our cars are as light and aerodynamic as a pallet of cinderblocks has been juuuuuust a bit frustrating, to say the least...
It does feel a lot more dynamic which I'm really enjoying too.

Also, there's a really good variety of mid rave objectives that pop up, in my first impressions I listed the few I'd seen but I've seen a lot more now. Saving a certain amount of energy, average lap times and the dreaded team orders have now all cropped up for me.

My career as Supercars Champion turned F2-extraordinaire Scott Marshall just got underway
I’m starting at AlphaTauri (I refuse to call it Visa CashApp RB), with my goal being to join Red Bull and dethrone Max Verstappen

I am on Haas as well but I chose HULKENGOD as my teammate and he actually has chose to go with chassis upgrades and I am focusing on aero. All of our planned upgrades that were going to hit for the australia weekend failed, meaning we are taking a pretty much stock car into miami :| that secret meeting with alpine isnt sounding so bad right now...

Some new annoyances have popped up though. When you drive too close to walls, the engine noise echoes back at you. This messes up shifting by sound, and it doesnt happen in time trial. This needs to be removed.

Also, if you do one shot quali and it rains, you are not allowed to change from dry to wet tires. Code MASTERS!

I downloaded it today. To me if feels completely different than '23. The car is sure footed and doesn't have the understeer in low to mid speed corners that the other game had. I have a lot more confidence that I'm going to get the car to take the corner as I want it to and not just sort of guessing that it might make the corner, if that makes sense.

I ran a race at Imola at 35% distance. I use manual starts and fully automated pit stops except I do try to nail the turn in manually to save time. At first I wasn't sure about the battery display at the bottom of the screen but I think I like it now. It solves a problem that I had with '23 where I didn't know the battery was being deployed but now I do.

They have reinstated your engineer telling you that you've set fastest lap of the race which I like.

The one slight negative I had was when I made the pit stop and went on to hard tires. With '23 I had to be careful for the next half a lap or so until the temperatures came up because the handling was slippery. Like the real cars do. But in '24 it seemed like full grip was there right away. I'll have to check that in future races.

But so far I like what I'm seeing.

My career as Supercars Champion turned F2-extraordinaire Scott Marshall just got underway
I’m starting at AlphaTauri (I refuse to call it Visa CashApp RB), with my goal being to join Red Bull and dethrone Max Verstappen
Maybe picking AlphaTauri was a bad idea
I qualified last after TWO DRS failures (First one was on my inlap after my first stint, second one happened during my third flying lap after the team had supposedly fixed the issue, so I bailed because qualifying without DRS is the equivalent of trying to qualify with ERS set to “None”), then I sustained front wing damage after a very questionable defence by Esteban Ocon and a somewhat unnecessary battle with Yuki Tsunoda (My teammate)

I am on Haas as well but I chose HULKENGOD as my teammate and he actually has chose to go with chassis upgrades and I am focusing on aero. All of our planned upgrades that were going to hit for the australia weekend failed, meaning we are taking a pretty much stock car into miami :| that secret meeting with alpine isnt sounding so bad right now...

Some new annoyances have popped up though. When you drive too close to walls, the engine noise echoes back at you. This messes up shifting by sound, and it doesnt happen in time trial. This needs to be removed.

Also, if you do one shot quali and it rains, you are not allowed to change from dry to wet tires. Code MASTERS!
I believe there's something in the audio settings that lets you adjust on-track sounds, though I've not really had much call to poke at them to extensively. And it's a known bug that if the weather changes between sessions the game won't properly recognize it, from what I understand this should be fixed with the first patch (but you know how AAA gaming is these days so don't hold me to that).

V1.3 patch drops tomorrow for F1 '24, including a raft of handling updates.

Following continued conversation with drivers of all levels, the team are pleased to share the following gameplay adjustments based on feedback received:

Fixed tyre model response to rapidly changing slip angle/ratio

Adjusted slip curves for post-peak falloff, load sensitivity, and camber effects to work with the slip response fix

Tyre thermal model adjustments for high-temperature behaviour

ABS, Traction Control, and gamepad controls tuned to suit the new tyre model

Improved power unit balance in 7th and 8th gear

Gear ratios matched to 2024 race data
Revised suspension kinematics to reflect 2024 car designs

Performance of several teams adjusted to fit results and changes seen in the 2024 season up to and including the Monaco GP

ERS bug fix for MGU-K torque and new calibration of Hotlap mode energy use at all tracks

Hopefully they haven't destroyed the playability on pad, it felt good before despite some minor issues.

All leaderboards will be wiped as well.

V1.3 patch drops tomorrow for F1 '24, including a raft of handling updates.

Following continued conversation with drivers of all levels, the team are pleased to share the following gameplay adjustments based on feedback received:

Fixed tyre model response to rapidly changing slip angle/ratio

Adjusted slip curves for post-peak falloff, load sensitivity, and camber effects to work with the slip response fix

Tyre thermal model adjustments for high-temperature behaviour

ABS, Traction Control, and gamepad controls tuned to suit the new tyre model

Improved power unit balance in 7th and 8th gear

Gear ratios matched to 2024 race data
Revised suspension kinematics to reflect 2024 car designs

Performance of several teams adjusted to fit results and changes seen in the 2024 season up to and including the Monaco GP

ERS bug fix for MGU-K torque and new calibration of Hotlap mode energy use at all tracks

Hopefully they haven't destroyed the playability on pad, it felt good before despite some minor issues.

All leaderboards will be wiped as well.
I'm hoping they don't change the way it feels on a wheel.

Why so? Everyone seems to be suggesting it feels terrible. So much so that I haven't bothered buying until I see the reviews of this new patch
Not me. I thought it felt good. As I said earlier in my review, I felt the car was planted and I knew where it was going especially around slow to mid speed corners. The car didn't want to wash away or slide out in those corners like in '23.

If they bring the car back into more understeer I will be disappointed.

So I really don't think the current handling model - on controller anyway - is bad either, it reminds me of F1 2020 actually in that the cars are quite grippy and easy to push - but I do think maybe 23 had it slightly better, just a bit more challenging really with a touch more understeer and a bit less traction. So I'll wait and see what they do with this update - hopefully it'll still feel good on a controller. Given it's come out so quickly this can't just be a reaction to the moaners anyway, it must have been the plan for longer than that? Impressively quick work if not. Just hopefully it's impressively GOOD work too.

They've rebalanced the AI teams too, so hopefully the end of seeing both Saubers in Q3.

So I really don't think the current handling model - on controller anyway - is bad either, it reminds me of F1 2020 actually in that the cars are quite grippy and easy to push - but I do think maybe 23 had it slightly better, just a bit more challenging really with a touch more understeer and a bit less traction. So I'll wait and see what they do with this update - hopefully it'll still feel good on a controller. Given it's come out so quickly this can't just be a reaction to the moaners anyway, it must have been the plan for longer than that? Impressively quick work if not. Just hopefully it's impressively GOOD work too.

They've rebalanced the AI teams too, so hopefully the end of seeing both Saubers in Q3.
Yeah must have been in the works already. I prefer everything in the handling to '23, '23 had too little grip considering what the real cars are capable of. Maybe this update will sit somewhere in the middle, which I'm fine iwht as long as they haven't compromised the feel for the majority of players just to appease the 0.1% of eSports racers.

It's funny because most of the people moaning on Reddit would probably also argue 2020 was the best of the series because that seems to be the consensus - which was the other one that was grippiest and 'easy' to drive. I can't quote work what the hatred for this one is, with the caveat that I've not tried it on a wheel yet.

It's funny because most of the people moaning on Reddit would probably also argue 2020 was the best of the series because that seems to be the consensus - which was the other one that was grippiest and 'easy' to drive. I can't quote work what the hatred for this one is, with the caveat that I've not tried it on a wheel yet.
The hate seems specific to fast wheel users, unbalanced grip front to rear which could be exploited. But you're right with everything else, even controller users I don't really understanding the complains because it really feels good. 2020 was my favorite coming into this one as well, can't be a coincidence.

2020 was also the first game with MyTeam, and it had classic cars, and they probably played it more due to lockdown.

Nostalgia elevating the game essentially (though it was a very good game)

Oh, I don't think they're wrong about 2020 being the best at all, it's the one where you can just load it up and drive fast straight away, just through the simplicity and balance of a well tuned handling model. 2017 was similar on that.

2021 had some bad bugs that took ages to fix do I get that's not too popular even if it's perfectly good now. I don't even think 22 is bad, there's just something unengaging about the handling. 23 and 24 both get a thumbs up from me, but if I posted that on Reddit I'd be on like -16 in five minutes flat.

Latest Posts

Back