Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
Before I get too into Red Rocket garage, I'm wondering where the best place to start a settlement would be. Maybe in Sanctuary (already doing quests to fix it up with resources and all that) but may just end up staying at the garage.
I have played 48 hours and own 8 "settlements". Yes I recommend starting at Sanctuary. There are a LOT of resources that help you get a huge jump start on the crafting and developing a well established little city. Plus it has a huge area to edit. Out of the 8 cities I own, Sanctuary still has the most resources that I have seen. The Red rocket is honestly a very tiny area compared to some of the other places you unlock. You are very limited at the Red rocket. When you enter your crafting menu, it will show you the boundary you can build in a light green outline. Red Rocket is small, Sanctuary is enormous. Pretty sure the edit area in Sanctuary is at least 10x larger than Red Rocket.

I hope this is not a spoiler, but as you establish more cities, you can send the people from one city to another. Also if you continue the story just a little bit further, you can acquire several people right away for Sanctuary.

Last edited:
I have played 48 hours and own 8 "settlements". Yes I recommend starting at Sanctuary. There are a LOT of resources that help you get a huge jump start on the crafting and developing a well established little city. Plus it has a huge area to edit. Out of the 8 cities I own, Sanctuary still has the most resources that I have seen. The Red rocket is honestly a very tiny area compared to some of the other places you unlock. You are very limited at the Red rocket. When you enter your crafting menu, it will show you the boundary you can build in a light green outline. Red Rocket is small, Sanctuary is enormous. Pretty sure the edit area in Sanctuary is at least 10x larger than Red Rocket.

I hope this is not a spoiler, but as you establish more cities, you can send the people from one city to another. Also if you continue the story just a little bit further, you can acquire several people right away for Sanctuary.
Thanks for the info, I'll be scrapping everything (yes, even the trees) at Red Rocket and moving to Sanctuary. Maybe move into my old house too!

Thanks for the info, I'll be scrapping everything (yes, even the trees) at Red Rocket and moving to Sanctuary. Maybe move into my old house too!
Np. Oh! Make sure you do not "Scrap" all the green items. The green items will also have a "Store" option at the bottom of the screen. Make sure to "store" those items instead of scrapping them. When you use the store option, it stores the object in your workbench and you get better yield out of the resources. If you just scrap the item, you get a lot less resources.

The yellow items are perfectly fine to scrap since they can not be stored. (I have to admit, I have kept all the cars in the game) I think they look too good to scrap. But that is just me.

Also before you leave the red rocket, make sure you take everything out of the workbench. The workbench stores everything for crafting and is only available for that specific city. So the workbench at Red rocket, will ONLY contain material for red rocket. Sanctuary will have its own work bench with its very own materials aka "junk".

Last edited:
I fear I'll get too caught up in trying to set up a base with settlers and scavenging materials to do just that. For now I'll stick with Sanctuary as my walled home while I go off and... scavenge (for parts I need to upgrade weapons) while Preston does a whole lot of not helping aside from lugging my Fat Man around.

Eks
If I a dollar for every Pipe weapon I've found so far... :irked:

I wish .308 ammunition was even half as plentiful as .38 ammo. I've got about 800 rounds for my upgraded pipe pistol which still isn't potent enough to use as often as I'd like, while I'm down to about 20 rounds for the highly-modded bolt-action pipe pistol I took from Paladin Brandis. that being my go-to gun for critical shots at close to medium range.

I wish .308 ammunition was even half as plentiful as .38 ammo. I've got about 800 rounds for my upgraded pipe pistol which still isn't potent enough to use as often as I'd like, while I'm down to about 20 rounds for the highly-modded bolt-action pipe pistol I took from Paladin Brandis. that being my go-to gun for critical shots at close to medium range.
I used to struggle with .308 ammo. Now I have stores in one of my cities that I can just buy ammo. (Also something in the story makes this easier too but I wont post that huge spoiler) I still make sure to pick it up from every vendor. In a couple cities you acquire, there will naturally be merchants there too that you can get ammo from.

Another hint I would recommend would be to try and play on hard. I have been playing on hard and the game has been very generous with legendary drops. Most of my friends and family have been on normal have been getting little to nothing from legendary drops. If you get into a bind it is still really easy to just drop the difficulty. Oh and first chance you get, use the perk that supplies more ammo from boxes. The earlier you unlock that, the better. It helps a lot! Plus if you do start to acquire too much ammo, it sells for quite a bit of money. :)

Last edited:
I have 1800 .38 :S

But have 600 .50 for my rifle so that suits me fine :)

I have around 15 hours in the game with a dozen of those just messing around in the settlement feature.

This truly is one of my favorite games of all time.
I'm loving it more and more every time I play it, the game looks dated at times and it has its share of stupid little things but I couldn't care less.

That's awesome but what about the prospect of me ruining the game save? Or something else, couldn't I screw this up and permanently mess up the game?

If that were to happen would I just have to re-DL from steam?

Thanks for the heads up, I'm really looking forward to using my full GPU and not half of it.
Taking the chance now and going for it btw!

It doesn't effect your save in any way. It's like putting in a new video card etc

Also before you leave the red rocket, make sure you take everything out of the workbench. The workbench stores everything for crafting and is only available for that specific city. So the workbench at Red rocket, will ONLY contain material for red rocket. Sanctuary will have its own work bench with its very own materials aka "junk".

You can share resources if you have the local leader perk and run trade routes between them

---

So after 50 hours, I have only just arrived at Diamond city :lol:
And from what I can see the game has only "just begun".....

Interesting enough, there are more hairstyles here than you can use at the start when making your character, plus face paint

While I was talking with Piper outside there were gun fire and explosions in the background :cool:
Really nice sound design, with realistic ambient gun cracks and deep rumbling explosions.

I saved, and decided to just go see where the gunfire was coming from - there were like 2 skirmishes happening in different areas nearby. One was a raider base in some houses getting attacked by caravan guard.
Didn't have much luck hitting the raiders from the front with a gun, so I went around the back and lobbed molotov cocktails into the windows on the second floor, which finally roasted them - Grenade throwing is actually accurate in this game :cheers:

Also everytime I listen to the "Hi Honey" holotape it makes me sad :(

---

Unarmed stealth builds are OP with deathclaw glove and blitz perk, which is basically a blink teleport :sly:

SPECIAL
Idiot savant procs quite a lot with 1 intelligence

Last edited:
It doesn't effect your save in any way. It's like putting in a new video card etc

You can share resources if you have the local leader perk and run trade routes between them

---

Interesting enough, there are more hairstyles here than you can use at the start when making your character, plus face paint

While I was talking with Piper outside there were gun fire and explosions in the background :cool:
Really nice sound design, with realistic ambient gun cracks and deep rumbling explosions.

I saved, and decided to just go see where the gunfire was coming from - there were like 2 skirmishes happening in different areas nearby. One was a raider base in some houses getting attacked by caravan guard.
Didn't have much luck hitting the raiders from the front with a gun, so I went around the back and lobbed molotov cocktails into the windows on the second floor, which finally roasted them - Grenade throwing is actually accurate in this game :cheers:

Also everytime I listen to the "Hi Honey" holotape it makes me sad :(

---

Unarmed stealth builds are OP with deathclaw glove and blitz perk, which is basically a blink teleport :sly:

SPECIAL
Idiot savant procs quite a lot with 1 intelligence

So, if you don't mind helping a little more... :D

I have the patch folder, made the change to the ini, now I wonder where I should leave that patch folder.
Common into FO4, then there is another FO4 folder with only preferences.
Should I put the folder in as a whole or take all the individual files and put them into the FO4 folder?

Here's a screen of the FO4 folder just after the "common" level.

Any further directions would be greatly appreciated. :D

So, if you don't mind helping a little more... :D

I have the patch folder, made the change to the ini, now I wonder where I should leave that patch folder.
Common into FO4, then there is another FO4 folder with only preferences.
Should I put the folder in as a whole or take all the individual files and put them into the FO4 folder?

Here's a screen of the FO4 folder just after the "common" level.

Any further directions would be greatly appreciated. :D

Take all the individual files in the folder and put them into the main Fallout 4 folder loosely

for me
E:\Games\STEAM\SteamApps\common\Fallout 4

---

first sound mod is up - I like the better 10mm pistol sound

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/130/?

Last edited:
You can share resources if you have the local leader perk and run trade routes between them.
---

I have the local leader perk but the trade runs do not seem to be working properly at all. I have at least 6 trade routes and have seen little to no return on that investment. Unless the money or products are going someone and I have not seen them yet.

Some of those explosions you hear are actually dynamic events happening. I was peaking out of one of my cities toward another area and without spoiling anything, indeed witnessed something epic happening. So I ran over to check it out and sure enough, it was not just audio, it really happened and I was able to umm, collect some extra loot.

Also when it comes to you just now going to Diamond city after 50 hours, I did the EXACT same thing last night. I was around 46 hours and just now went to Diamond City for the first time. (It reminds me a lot of Megaton from F3.) Spent about 2 hours messing around in that city just to take in the scenery. And yes for those that don't know, a lot more character customization unlocks at that city for sure. More hair options, face paint, and much more. I easily see myself putting more time into this Bethesda game than any other one they have made.

Take all the individual files in the folder and put them into the main Fallout 4 folder loosely

for me
E:\Games\STEAM\SteamApps\common\Fallout 4

---

first sound mod is up - I like the better 10mm pistol sound

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/130/?

Thanks so much for the help.
Turns out the system works just like doing add-ons in WoW. :D

That said, I only put in about 4 minutes of gameplay and GPU-Z is already showing a steady usage of a little over 2gb with max at 2.6 or so... To me that indicates that it is ready and willing to use more of the 4gb and will probably end up getting into the 3gb+ range when I hit some of the tougher scenery.

Thanks again, will be back to post screens, progress, etc. :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...als-traffic-dropped-10-day-game-released.html

:lol:

A certain Adult site's web traffic dropped 10% the day Fallout 4 was released.

I read that yesterday and was :lol: 'in hard...

It's awesome to come here, read that everyone gets stuck with the gameplay and world mechanics and doesn't do that many quests.

And some quests will be really short : Go clean that place up of raiders/gouls,... -> Already done, settler lemming :lol:

Anyone had an plane come down? I was west of Sanctuary, when a plane flew over me with awesome sound effects. Crashing south , I ran across the whole map to find it, way past where I already went, but didn't find it... Anybody had that plane event?

Now I have to admit, I am constantly cheating. My carry weight is put at 1000. I scraped the settlement built limit. My settlement is huge. HUGE. And when I am in need I either let steel, wood, copper, spawn in (need so much when building multiple fortresses) and I tried the money glitch with vendors.

There is also a glitch with the go fetch feature of the dog, basicly duplicating objects.

Will post a screen of my settlement later. Now I will play a bit :D

Thanks so much for the help.
Turns out the system works just like doing add-ons in WoW. :D

That said, I only put in about 4 minutes of gameplay and GPU-Z is already showing a steady usage of a little over 2gb with max at 2.6 or so... To me that indicates that it is ready and willing to use more of the 4gb and will probably end up getting into the 3gb+ range when I hit some of the tougher scenery.

Thanks again, will be back to post screens, progress, etc. :D

one more thing, on the ebnlocal ini file

you might want to change these

[INPUT]
KeyCombination=-16
KeyUseEffect=-123
KeyFPSLimit=-36
KeyShowFPS=-106
KeyScreenshot=-44
KeyEditor=-13

they are hotkeys. I added a "-" infront of all them so that they don't activate mid game.
The Print screen key makes a screenshot, but Fallout 4 already uses the key to do that as well. So you will have 2 pics in your FO4 folder if you don't change it, one png, and one bmp

I have the local leader perk but the trade runs do not seem to be working properly at all. I have at least 6 trade routes and have seen little to no return on that investment. Unless the money or products are going someone and I have not seen them yet.

They're not actual trade routes in the sense that you have settlers buying and selling stuff between settlements.

Supply lines allow materials you've scavenged to be shared between multiple settlements. Dumping a load of junk in the Sanctuary workshop means you can access those same materials in another location with a workshop that's linked by a supply line, and vice versa. It's a needlessly convoluted system I've only just started to exploit and isn't helped by the fact that you have to assign settlers to certain locations in order for a line to be established, but having multiple access points to the same material collection will always prove beneficial.

I'm at about 15 hours and still on my first settlement at Sanctuary Hills but I got the Local Leader Perk last night; this will definitely come in handy later when I open up I open up more settlements. I do have the gas station/garage location but I do not have Settlers there yet.

Holy crap - I never thought I'd get attacked/raided at Red Rocket, so I have no defenses or walls or anything. It's just a dog house for Dogmeat, my room, and stairs going up to the roof.

Well I fast travelled back from Diamond city, with Preston, and traded and fitted some armour I found onto dogmeat and a collar. Also have Cosworth hanging around here.

After I close the pipboy, and turn around, I spot 3 super mutants breaking from the trees into Red Rockets.
One of the super mutants had a star next to his name, so I guess he was higher level and a legendary.
But with the 4 of us, we had plenty of firepower on hand.

One of the Super Mutants had a note on him - "kill, loot, return"
Legendary one dropped a shotgun that does 50% more damage to Super Mutants :)

OK time to slap down some sentry guns :crazy:

Holy crap - I never thought I'd get attacked/raided at Red Rocket, so I have no defenses or walls or anything. It's just a dog house for Dogmeat, my room, and stairs going up to the roof.

Well I fast travelled back from Diamond city, with Preston, and traded and fitted some armour I found onto dogmeat and a collar. Also have Cosworth hanging around here.

After I close the pipboy, and turn around, I spot 3 super mutants breaking from the trees into Red Rockets.
One of the super mutants had a star next to his name, so I guess he was higher level and a legendary.
But with the 4 of us, we had plenty of firepower on hand.

One of the Super Mutants had a note on him - "kill, loot, return"
Legendary one dropped a shotgun that does 50% more damage to Super Mutants :)

OK time to slap down some sentry guns :crazy:
I just had this happen to me too, same note, LOL.

I just added a perimeter and some sentry's, hopefully that will deter them a bit. Haven't encountered any since though.

A quick question, not sure if I am losing my mind but does loot respawn? Reason I ask is I thought I had looted a house down the road from Sanctuary but when I went out again to gather more supplies, the house had loot again, and quite possibly the same items.

Finally found enough screws to upgrade the .308 pipe pistol into the .50 cal monster is was destined to be. Plenty of ammo and considerably more powerful than the Hunter's rifle I often use. Better range, even.

Also picked up about 10 fusion cores in the last hour along with a mostly intact set of T60 armour. Had to fill in the missing limb pieces with raider power armour I had lying around though. Bit of a mess, but it's been the best run of good luck I've had since the start.

Last edited:
Growing bigger

2015-11-17_00003.jpg

Unburnt book collection
2015-11-17_00004.jpg

Had to restart my playthrough, gave Piper all my ammo to do the infinate caps glitch, and she disappeared, hours down the drain :lol:

I'm not sure if this works. But i had gunmen attack me in Diamond City, and i killed one of them, and Piper hated it and now attacks me on sight. My character and Piper had a romance and i wondered if i could get it back together as she came in handy as a companion. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Looks like i can't go back to sanctuary as if when i shoot Piper, they all gang up on me

some of the details in this game are pretty crazy

I was standing on a car today, and firing an auto pipe SMG, and watching every shell casing ejected, bounce and roll off the car body, with realistic physics.

Also guns will knock bottles and objects around, but lasers won't - nice touch

Last edited:
They're not actual trade routes in the sense that you have settlers buying and selling stuff between settlements.

Supply lines allow materials you've scavenged to be shared between multiple settlements. Dumping a load of junk in the Sanctuary workshop means you can access those same materials in another location with a workshop that's linked by a supply line, and vice versa. It's a needlessly convoluted system I've only just started to exploit and isn't helped by the fact that you have to assign settlers to certain locations in order for a line to be established, but having multiple access points to the same material collection will always prove beneficial.

Redistributing settlers in combination with supply lines is a great way to expand your settlements. Supply lines allow you to instantly secure new (small) settlements: send a settler from one of your bigger settlements to the new settlement. Go to the new settlement, make a supply line back to the settlement. Instant access to all resources in the workbench. Put up a few defences, grow some food (maybe send some more settlers to work the fields and defend), place some beds and you've just kickstarted your new settlement.

Settlers that are working a supply line change their title to 'provisioner'. They also have a packed brahmin with them. You can remove the supply line by assigning them to a different task.

And yeah, it's a bit convoluted, e.g. you don't know which settler is doing which task or is managing which supply line. You also don't know exactly where a specific resource is stored. So it takes a bit of fiddling sometimes.

Will have to look into that supply line thing could certainly save me some fast travel time between settlements in the long run.

Anyone else noticed that the birds are not taking the environment into account.
They keep getting stuck, saw three crows that kept flying into the roof of a building.

The other day running to a car for cover and going to sneak arriving at the car, only to send the car flying and my character dying in the process. :confused:

Bethesda programming at it's best I guess.

But about 36 hours in and thoroughly enjoying the game.

I must say, people that say the game is full of bugs and glitches, I have had not one single bad one. The only ones I have had are amusing ones that don't really bother me, kinda adds to the charm of it.

Incredible game though. Absolutely in love with it.

The killer car bug nearly cost me my most recent quicksave right after I'd cleared the Four Leaf Fishpacking Plant. I only had to brush up against one initially for the glitch to trigger. After reloading outside the main entrance, the same car would leap a dozen or so yards resulting in more insta-death.

Eventually got away from it with a sliver of HP left, but I've seen it happen in three other locations since.

Back