Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
Question. I finished the questline that brings settlers to Sanctuary, so I'm sitting with 5 right now and have my base all set up, but I have a question. I built some stores, but how do I get the population to operate them?

When you have the workshop menu up where you can build things, approach a settler, there should be a button to assign and then assign them to said shop.
Yes you are close.

While in the crafting menu, approach the settler and hit A on that settler (xbox one). THEN walk over to the object you want assign them to and hit A on that object. Wait about 5 seconds and a message will appear letting you know that object has been assigned. Sometimes they take forever getting over there so you might have to sleep about an hour and check that specific item.

Also if you want to attract more settlers, add in a "Recruitment radio beacon" and power it. Then of course make sure you have enough food, water, power, beds, and defenses to make them happy. You will go from 5 settlers to about 10 in very little time. :)

Yes you are close.

While in the crafting menu, approach the settler and hit A on that settler (xbox one). THEN walk over to the object you want assign them to and hit A on that object. Wait about 5 seconds and a message will appear letting you know that object has been assigned. Sometimes they take forever getting over there so you might have to sleep about an hour and check that specific item.

Also if you want to attract more settlers, add in a "Recruitment radio beacon" and power it. Then of course make sure you have enough food, water, power, beds, and defenses to make them happy. You will go from 5 settlers to about 10 in very little time. :)
I barely set up the Radio Beacon last night. Everything else is above 12 so far, with defense topping at 24 lol. Copper is a pain in the ass to find, but I appreciate the fact that they let you mark certain items so you can pinpoint them easier while in the field.

I barely set up the Radio Beacon last night. Everything else is above 12 so far, with defense topping at 24 lol. Copper is a pain in the ass to find, but I appreciate the fact that they let you mark certain items so you can pinpoint them easier while in the field.
Sometimes your defense needs to be about 3x the amount of settlers you have to make them "happy". You can get a rough idea of what your settlers need from your pip boy. I think it is one of the categories under quests. Cant remember but that kinda works. However it has a pretty major bug right now that will say you have 0 defense or 0 people sometimes for Sanctuary. For the most part it gives a general idea of all your settlements at the same time. It is just a little buggy. I pull mine up and can see what is going on with all 9 of my settlements at the same time. Helps a lot for micromanagement.

Yes copper can be tough to find. The more settlements you own and the more merchants you meet, the easier it will be to find the resources you need.

I also agree it is very nice you can mark the items you need. Very helpful feature.

Sometimes your defense needs to be about 3x the amount of settlers you have to make them "happy". You can get a rough idea of what your settlers need from your pip boy. I think it is one of the categories under quests. Cant remember but that kinda works. However it has a pretty major bug right now that will say you have 0 defense or 0 people sometimes for Sanctuary. For the most part it gives a general idea of all your settlements at the same time. It is just a little buggy. I pull mine up and can see what is going on with all 9 of my settlements at the same time. Helps a lot for micromanagement.

Yes copper can be tough to find. The more settlements you own and the more merchants you meet, the easier it will be to find the resources you need.

I also agree it is very nice you can mark the items you need. Very helpful feature.
Yeah, you can view the stats of the settlement through the Data section on your Pipboy. I'm currently sitting at 68 Happiness and it's still rising. Last time mine was saying I needed more beds, because I only had two, but I know I had 8 for sure :lol:

Yeah, you can view the stats of the settlement through the Data section on your Pipboy. I'm currently sitting at 68 Happiness and it's still rising. Last time mine was saying I needed more beds, because I only had two, but I know I had 8 for sure :lol:
Oh yes Data. Also nice to hear the pip boy settlement data is not just buggy in my game. It is at least a very minor bug. I usually have at least 16-18 people in that city so the first time it said there were 0 people 0 defense I thought maybe someone dropped a nuke on the place while I was gone. Or a Super-mutant made a "touchdown". :lol:

Last edited:
I think I'll try the Fat Man on my Sanctuary fence as an experiment to determine durability. (After a Quicksave of course)

Settlement buildings and fences are pretty strong. Zero damage from a Fat Man. Only effects were to waste a nuke and annoy Codsworth. Reloaded from save and Cosworth forgot the whole incident!

I'm thinking that enemy weapons will never cause damage to fortifications. I'm hoping that Vertibirds can't do something sneaky like fly straight through aerial fortifications.

Question. At what stage do the bad guys attack the Sanctuary Settlement? And is it possible to predict what triggers a Vertibird attack?

Settlement buildings and fences are pretty strong. Zero damage from a Fat Man. Only effects were to waste a nuke and annoy Codsworth. Reloaded from save and Cosworth forgot the whole incident!

I'm thinking that enemy weapons will never cause damage to fortifications. I'm hoping that Vertibirds can't do something sneaky like fly straight through aerial fortifications.

Question. At what stage do the bad guys attack the Sanctuary Settlement? And is it possible to predict what triggers a Vertibird attack?
I am level 20. The attacks seem random. I had a very minor attack on Sanctuary early in the game when I first got there. Just a couple raiders. Then never again at Sanctuary until around level 12 or 13. That time it was a couple super mutants. I have had a couple other settlements attacked and whoa some of those battles are crazy. But those are spoilers. Some of the minor damage was usually a few broken turrets and damaged crops. Easy to repair.

Sometimes you get a warning that a settlement is being attacked. They might even get attacked by a legendary enemy. (I am on hard so I see quite a few legendary enemies) Another hint that will be very helpful if you don't already know, supply your settlers with good guns and armor. Don't worry about ammo I think they use 1 bullet but it is unlimited. I have not ever seen a settler die, but I still dress them accordingly and give them decent guns.

On a side note I do not think I have encountered a Vertibird yet. I really need to start playing the campaign more and leave my 9 settlements alone. Dang addictive game!

Sometimes you get a warning that a settlement is being attacked. They might even get attacked by a legendary enemy. (I am on hard so I see quite a few legendary enemies) Another hint that will be very helpful if you don't already know, supply your settlers with good guns and armor. Don't worry about ammo I think they use 1 bullet but it is unlimited. I have not ever seen a settler die, but I still dress them accordingly and give them decent guns.
I have two settlers with a Fat Man, each. I hope they don't destroy themselves/my settlement :lol:

To echo everyone else, this game is so addictive.
Just reached Diamond City ( ran the last part ) at level 21, have totally forgotten the story.
The settlement at Sanctuary is completely steel walled at the furthest perimeter, only to find attackers just materialise inside, so I built gun towers instead. I constructed four three level buildings with turrets every where, my defence is 132.
Just now got attacked my eight mutants, one was a legendary super mutant Enforcer, while I was doing some crafting, by the time I got up and looked round the corner the evening sky was lit up like a fire works display, needless to say the attackers didn't last 5 seconds, I never even managed to get a shot off.
I have not seen a vertibird but it will be interesting to see what happens.
It's been interesting reading peoples experiences here, keep the posts coming.
Oh, and as I was very nearly killed by a Legendary radiated Bloatfly, if I come across a legendary albino radscorpion I'll restart the game, that fly was so difficult.

...attackers just materialise inside...

Thanks for the heads up. That kind of changes my strategy. Maybe they burrow up like Mole Rats!

On the subject of Legendary attackers, are you using the companion immortality to full advantage?

I'm playing a very weak character and rely on ranged attacks preceded by sending my companion in to check out the dangers. And get into severe trouble as well. However, I've not yet experienced a Legendary attacker, so maybe that won't work.

My companions don't do much, I crafted good weapons and armour, for early game, so I just kill em myself.
My combat shotgun does good damage up close, and my combat rifle for further away. Plus a sniper pipe rifle with 2x crit damage for long distance sneak attacks

Areas of the map are level capped, so the game will tend to spawn legendaries if your in an area where you are over levelled I think

---

So far only one of my settlements has been attacked by some 6-8 super mutants.
The one on the far right, starting with "T". Only 2 settlers there and no defense. I got a message so I fast travelled there. And it was a tough fight, but we prevailed.

LOL
green grass from a mod

yhXERuA.jpg

Last edited:
On the subject of companions, I'm using Dogmeat, mostly as a pack pony.
The thing that catches me out is the speed of the baddies. If I'm lucky I'll get one or two long range shots and then it's melee, especially with animals. The Ghouls are some thing else. At one location I had two Ghouls attack who had no legs, they floated but moved just as fast, though in this case it was very funny when Dogmeat grabbed a floating Ghoul and shook it like it does when it gets hold of a Teddy bear.
The Rad scorpions I've come across have come staight out of the ground under me, so had to go melee, not good for the heart rate.
I've only discovered 27 locations so far, many of which I need to return to as there is safe's to pick or computers to hack, I've made a list so know where to find them, all XP.
At the settlement beginning with the letter Z in the N East of the map, it went from 3 people to 17 so quickly, it's so crowded and hardly anywhere to put accomodation.
The Red Rocket I have ignored, it's very close to Sanctuary so didn't see a need, though my Pip Boy says 0 people and 50% happy.
CoolColJ, excellent work, well done.

F4 is my first Fallout game. I only just started, and so far my reactions are mixed. I don't mind the slow pace of the game, but I am getting frustrated with how much the game assumes I know about it. I have found myself in a few situations where I am at a loss as to what I am supposed to be doing while the game just takes it for granted that I know the way forward. I also find that navigating through the Pip-Boy is realky awkward.

Hey guys pics were not made by me

F4 is my first Fallout game. I only just started, and so far my reactions are mixed. I don't mind the slow pace of the game, but I am getting frustrated with how much the game assumes I know about it. I have found myself in a few situations where I am at a loss as to what I am supposed to be doing while the game just takes it for granted that I know the way forward. I also find that navigating through the Pip-Boy is realky awkward.

Well your feeling pretty much what the vault dweller is supposed to feel like coming out of the vault after 210 years, in a strange world :)

There are help files in the pause menu.

Well your feeling pretty much what the vault dweller is supposed to feel like coming out of the vault after 210 years, in a strange world
Really? My Vault Dweller - McRae - is supposed to be confused by the sensitivity of the 'B' button, which sometimes opens your Pip-Boy and other times toggles the torch, depending on how firmly you press it?

Really? My Vault Dweller - McRae - is supposed to be confused by the sensitivity of the 'B' button, which sometimes opens your Pip-Boy and other times toggles the torch, depending on how firmly you press it?

Quick press to bring up pipboy, hold for torch. At least that's how it works on the PC, on keyboard or Xbox control pad.
Some other functions work like that as well - a button press for reload, hold to put the gun away etc
Quick press for melee, hold to prime grenade and throw

Well your feeling pretty much what the vault dweller is supposed to feel like coming out of the vault after 210 years, in a strange world :)

There are help files in the pause menu.

Yes and no. From the gameplay the no-hand holding actually gives you the feelin of being over whelmed by the world. Which is great.... And as you progress and get acquainted with the world, and start rockin that world, it feels great. It was always like that with Fallout. Players overcomin the wasteland

But the no hand holding in the menus, pipboy, settlement is not a "realism" feel.... for my first 10-15 levels, I didn't even bother with base building. Cluttering menus.... And that is especially true for new comers. Some things should be explained especially the menus.

They sometimes are in the upper left corner a small message shows. But it is very basic and easily overlooked.

But we are here to help, so if you need advice, just ask.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting the V.A.N.S perk. When you enter VATS it will show a green line indicating where to go. Similar to Fable games. Or Neverwinter. Yes the pip boy takes a while to get used to. The Fallout games have some of the steepest learning curves of any other games, especially F4 with the entire new crafting menu. I would also recommend playing this game in a party with someone that has experience so they can help you along the way when you have questions. Going at it solo would indeed be a very tough experience if you are new to the Fallout series.

On the note of Vats it is very important to get used to using VATS (LB on the X1). This feature slows time to about 1% and allows you to target any part of the enemy including legs, head, arms, body, and even the weapons including thrown grenades. I always highly recommend targeting the legs on a fast moving enemy. Once you get the hang of Vats the game will be a lot easier for you.

On a side note. I almost lost Dogmeat last night. Had some strange bug where he absolutely would not follow me. If I fast traveled he was not there. I even checked the dog houses in Sanctuary and checked everywhere at Red Rocket. He was gone. So I had to re-load a save about 10 minutes prior to losing him. Everything is good now but this is a perfect example of why I save all the time.

Also forgot to mention I made an accidental mistake last night of taking on a group of super mutants while I had NO armor on!! Only a tuxedo. That means 0 defense. I was cleaning inventory and didn't realize I removed my armor. Keep in mind I am on hard difficulty too. On top of that one of the mutants was a legendary mutant and kept killing me. I didn't realize until after the battle why I was dying so easy. But hey at least I looked good dying over and over again. :lol: I did earn a nice legendary piece that allows me to take 15% less damage from super mutants. So it was well worth the work. Now I have 2 pieces I can combine to give me 30% less damage from super mutants. :)

Last edited:
F4 is my first Fallout game. I only just started, and so far my reactions are mixed. I don't mind the slow pace of the game, but I am getting frustrated with how much the game assumes I know about it.

Although I have played other Fallout games it is still taking me time to re-acquaint myself, and I always play at a slow pace. The lack of a booklet with the game definately makes life tough for new comers to Fallout, I only found the pip boy light by accident after many hours of game play.
When I got the game I spent some time studing the perks to see what I want for my style of play, going on my experience with the other games. It didn't take long for me to realise I had to think again.
RPG's are always slow to start with, as your character is weak, stick with it and the game comes to you.

I came to Fallout 4 from F3, and my impression is that Fallout is designed to be an adventure of discovery. Especially in this iteration, where the protagonist has been on ice for over two centuries.

This is not a game which will be "completed" (or as some like to say "beaten") in just a few tens of hours.

It demands long term attention, and that's its appeal to many. Watch the loading screen messages for tips. Listen to the radio. Engage in conversation with anyone you haven't killed.

Sure, it's frustrating at times. Life in the wasteland is not meant to be easy. But that experience leads to satisfaction rewards. You'll find that as the game progresses, there is a feeling of comfort in a certain geography or behaviors and that feels good right up to the next surprise when something terrifying or amusing happens.

Save VERY often, dial down the difficulty if you die too often. Just because others boast of playing on giga-legendary doesn't mean you have to. There's no shame in exploring the game in an easy mode first time through. In fact, that's a great plan, since it's two different games at the extremes of difficulty. Even the dialog options are different.

I confidently predict that I'll still be in the Commonwealth Wasteland in early 2017, still having and making fresh experiences. This $60 investment will result in long term entertainment at less than 10¢ per hour!

That said, there's no shame in Googling for clues when you're stuck. Example. When I looted a key from a body, I knew there must be a locked safe in the building. Two or three hours of intense exploring led to picking up all sorts of goodies including a very welcome Bobblehead, many Raider encounters, opportunities to throw their bodies over high stairway railings just for the joy of watching the plummeting rag doll effects, but no safe. Time to Google. Same with techniques in the game.

Embrace the frustration. It's an essential part of the journey!

So attackers on settlements spawn out of nowhere eh? I only just completed the initial stage on Sanctuary so haven't had an attack yet, but that's good to know for setting up my defences.

So attackers on settlements spawn out of nowhere eh? I only just completed the initial stage on Sanctuary so haven't had an attack yet, but that's good to know for setting up my defences.
Yes it is dynamic. Sometimes you will be attacked while away and it will send you a message saying your settlement is being attacked. You can go help or just let your defenses and settlers take care of the bad guys. Just be aware your crops and defense turrets can be damaged. The repair is easy.

so far in my 110 hrs of gameplay i've been attacked a few times. It seems to come down to a few things.
1) Preston notifies you of a location in trouble
2) The type of defenses. i wasnt being attacked enough so i reduced the number of turrets and increased the the guard post count. it lowers the defense rating a little but enough to increase rate of attacks and still be safe.
3) Removed my perimeter wall. This just meant with the turrets and guard posts they didn't even get close, so removing them allows them to attack from any side.

hope this helps.

I got a message about the Zimonja settlement under attack, I got there in the middle of a gun fight. When it was over I discovered the generator was destroyed, disabling the laser turrets, two other turrets destroyed and three needing repair and half the water pumps destroyed.
Considering there is 17 people there, if the Raiders concentrated on these elements instead I'm impressed.
No settlers were lost, and the turrets self repaired, weird. I do have people assigned to salvage, whether they did it I don't know.
Oh and one thing to watch out for. When going out of camp looting the dead one of the damaged turrets opened up on me. Again impressed if that is game design, nearly killed me though.

Since when did multiple enemies start carrying fatmans? I managed to take down an enemy, but then got caught, only to promptly get mini nuked 5 times or so.

Like, talk about overkill.

So most of my settlers at Sanctuary have Rocket launchers and Fat Mans :lol: I'm anxious to see the outcome of a raid.

I decided to take a break from quests yesterday and just explore, and pick up any materials I can find. While exploring, I found a leather chest piece that makes my character go completely invisible when not moving, and makes it harder for enemies to hear me when I'm moving. I've upgraded it a bit and it happened to be stronger then my metal chest piece, so thats a plus. It'll come in handy when stealing items, I would bet. I also found another Power Armor, the T-51b in full. It was a good day.

Also found another Snubnose .44 last night, and I'm anxious to use it because with the perks I have selected, my bolt action and non-auto pistols get a massive boost in damage. Right now it's sitting at 100 damage, and I haven't even crafted a good receiver yet.

Also,

22779897939_8c9659554e_b.jpg

Gonna fill my little house with pictures of cats.

Back