Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
Contradictory weapon :)

CF4CE824EE578F402108A041946DD641AE80D500

Need help

I'm stuck in the silver shroud quest. I need to meet Hancock as the silver shroud but when I do put on the getup, hancock doesn't say anything related. Granted, I only have the outfit and the Silver SMG is...missing from my inventory.

Do I need an SMG as well to complete the getup?

Anyone know how to deal with the tougher robots? Like the assaultrons and Mr. Gutsy's?

I must say, people that say the game is full of bugs and glitches, I have had not one single bad one. The only ones I have had are amusing ones that don't really bother me, kinda adds to the charm of it.

Incredible game though. Absolutely in love with it.

I have Nick as my follower and one time he was stuck in the state when a follower's HP is so low they drop to the ground. But when I fast traveled he was still on the ground. Pretty comical but immediately got irritating because the game wouldn't let me heal him and he still wouldn't get up. I had to go into the console and pass "killall". That seemed to "reset" him so I was able to heal him then.

If you give a gun to a companion and tell them to equip it, they need and use up ammo for that gun.
They sometimes pick up guns and ammo from the ground.
But with settlers you only need to give them one round or grenade, and they have unlimited ammo.

correction - you need to give them enough ammo for a full clip or reload.
When they actually equip the ammo, with the small square icon. For example they only do this if they 2 shotgun shells with the double barrel shotgun.
And with the other guns they will keep reloading too early if hey don't have enough ammo for a full clip

I read about some guy who gave his settlers in Sanctuary a Fat Man and one bomb each :)
Anytime he was in Red Rocket and heard detonations going off in the distance he knew they were under attack :P

I haven't seen this happen yet, but it's pretty cool, that BOS can attack your bases.
Nice way to get power armour parts...

Last edited:
Put in a ton of progress tonight.
Built up sanctuary, did a ton of swaps and upgrades to weapons, then managed to go back and clear some content I couldn't do previously.
Still slow going compared to what I imagine experienced FO players doing (xp per hour) but definitely seeing progress none the less. I'd say the most exciting part is finding weapons better than I can create and killing monsters/enemies I didn't think I'd manage for a long time.

Encountered two Deathclaws fighting each other while on a mission yesterday. Decided to hide in the bushes to see what would happen. One was hurting the other to the point he fled. Was able to pick off the remaining one quite easily after that. :D

Encountered two Deathclaws fighting each other while on a mission yesterday. Decided to hide in the bushes to see what would happen. One was hurting the other to the point he fled. Was able to pick off the remaining one quite easily after that. :D
Someone from my job found this too. Do you know where you encountered this?

Settlement log #1

Current location: Sanctuary

Current settlers: Minutemen, Dogmeat, Codsworth

Current defences: 4 x turrets either side of wall, guard post

Current food sources: corn, gourd, carrot and melon crops

Current water crops: 3 x water pumpd

Power supply: 1 small generator (powering radio tower) 2 medium generators (powering my house)

Other notes: currently waiting to get perks to build 2 x Power Armour stations to accommodate 3 x Power Armour suits and build a walled area to hold them, rather than on the driveway of my house. Also planning to extend wall over the perimeter of the settlement to protect the settlement on all sides.

I did the same thing, but the robot had a different response, and zapped me :)

---

Had a ton of encounters on the outskirts of Boston near that vault this session

Just before sunset I entered the outside of this vault there.
There were 2 caravan guards and Cricket here, hmm both guards were in underwear and harness/ammo belts only..

Rested for the night in the sleeping beds here.
Next morning The caravan guards ran up the hill and started firing on something, I went up to look, and got charged by a Yao Guai. Killed it

Later the caravan started moving, after a bit I heard distant gunfire. I headed down to the road/building and saw some distant laser fire.
Sounded like the caravan guards were fighting something, but when I got there I didn't see any trace of them, but there was a Mr Gutsy robot.
Killed it and in a building across, a Protectron came by, also killed it.

Explored a bit further down the road, and came across a trading building with crops, and a dead trader, looked freshly killed - not sure. Explored inside for a bit, while Piper started chopping meat on the cutting board here while she waited :D

Started getting foggy.
Headed back to this vault, spotted something ahead through the fog. VATS said it was a Legendary Raider.
Took cover on a ruined wall and peered around.
Next thing, gunfire broke out ahead, but it wasn't directed at me. Spotted a ghoul type name near the raider through the fog. Waited a bit, and even more ghouls..

Gun fire stopped and in a blink of eye some 8 ghouls burst upon my position. Took em out. Looked ahead and found that dead Legendary raider, killed by the ghouls :)

Wbr6CV3.jpg

gHqkVia.jpg

Last edited:
If you give a gun to a companion and tell them to equip it, they need and use up ammo for that gun.
They sometimes pick up guns and ammo from the ground.
But with settlers you only need to give them one round or grenade, and they have unlimited ammo.

I read about some guy who gave his settlers in Sanctuary a Fat Man and one bomb each :)
Anytime he was in Red Rocket and heard detonations going off in the distance he knew they were under attack :P

I haven't seen this happen yet, but it's pretty cool, that BOS can attack your bases.
Nice way to get power armour parts...

Very helpful post, thanks.

The tip about settlers' infinite ammo is especially useful.

So far, my Sanctuary settlement has not come under attack (to my knowledge). I have built a wall around the entire settlement with the only opening at the bridge. Then I erected a platform above the bridge supporting a bunch of those automated machine gun thingys facing outwards.

However, that doesn't make it Vertibird-proof.

So maybe I need to instal a centralized platform say fifty feet up in the air with a guy equipped with a Fat Man like you suggest. The nice thing about aerial platforms is that it's possible to erect them via a chain of staircases and subsequently protect them by removing the stairs.

Think this might work?

Someone from my job found this too. Do you know where you encountered this?
When you're on the trail with Dogmeat and Nick Valentine to find Kellogg. There's a crossroad near Hagen, next to a highway. There they were fighting.

On another note: ran into the build limit at The Castle yesterday. :(

Last edited:
Do I need to create the two characters from the start? Male and female or only one?
You can create both, but only play as one. I find it kind of pointless, but I know the game generates your son from the two characters you create. So, I guess, if you want to be picky, you can create both characters.

Jet packing combat for fun and profit - looks kinda funny seeing the game at a locked 60fps - not quite as cinematic - when the video is set to 1080p 60 :P
Can't wait till I get a new video card mid next year when the next batch of Nvidia cards come out...

That grenade throwing trajectory perk looks cool - might have to grab that
Also, more AP equals longer jet pack time

Very helpful post, thanks.

The tip about settlers' infinite ammo is especially useful.

So far, my Sanctuary settlement has not come under attack (to my knowledge). I have built a wall around the entire settlement with the only opening at the bridge. Then I erected a platform above the bridge supporting a bunch of those automated machine gun thingys facing outwards.

However, that doesn't make it Vertibird-proof.

So maybe I need to instal a centralized platform say fifty feet up in the air with a guy equipped with a Fat Man like you suggest. The nice thing about aerial platforms is that it's possible to erect them via a chain of staircases and subsequently protect them by removing the stairs.

Think this might work?

correction - you need to give them enough ammo for a full clip or reload.
When they actually equip the ammo, with the small square icon. For example they only do this if they have 2 shotgun shells with the double barrel shotgun.
And with the other guns they will keep reloading too early if they don't have enough ammo for a full clip

The vertibird might crash into your tower! :)
Rocket launchers are what you need

You can put sentry guns on the rooftops - like in that video

----

I'm approaching the 90 hour mark right now, still nowhere near finished. Hell I haven't even advanced any of the faction missions and just encountered the Brotherhood of Steel :D

Last edited:
I think the pilots of the vertibirds are molerats :confused: . They keep crashing in towers :lol::lol:

Had 3 vertibirds come down in boston, lots of free armor :D

About the brotherhood
?
Do they attack your settlements if your friendly with them?

I hadn't encountered the 2 claws fightin, just one chargin me :indiff: Thou
at Hagen I had "child of atom" playin with raiders. First encounter with them. Darn those gamma guns

@NLxAROSA : there is 2 ways to up your settlement limit
1. Use the mod. It resets the limit at 0. It's a exe file, and a key stroke away
2. Take all your weapons out of the workbench. Put them on the floor. In the building menu, re-store them in the workshop via the building menu. Each gun lowers the limit a bit. Also everything not yet scrapped from the trash is adding to that limit (@CAMAROBOY69 those display car wrecks will take the limit down of your settlement, so maybe scrap them if you hit your limit)

I used 1 and totally awesome. :cheers:

Oh also try adding a large barrel to the stubnose .44

I came across an other vault, and wanted to check it out
Vault 95 I think, a bit in the south west. Ohh man, no chance at the moment gettin in. Those assaultatrons :nervous:🤬 . I could fat man them.... but rather just wait till i level up a bit more

Also the game is way too addicting.

I came across an other vault, and wanted to check it out
Vault 95 I think, a bit in the south west. Ohh man, no chance at the moment gettin in. Those assaultatrons :nervous:🤬 . I could fat man them.... but rather just wait till i level up a bit more

There is a bobblehead in that Vault. Worth going in there at some point, there is a lot of tough gunners in there though

The vertibird might crash into your tower! :)

This makes me think that just erecting an open, meandering platform might be a good defense.

Like this:-
  1. Build a staircase,
  2. Attach a staircase to the top of this,
  3. Repeat the above step until you're high enough,
  4. Attach floor units in a long, zigzagging aerial "pathway" where the open spaces between the floor units are quite large, but too small for a Vertibird to fly through
  5. Walk back carefully to avoid falling to a certain death!
I'm assuming that structures built this way would not be destroyed by Vertibird or Projectile Impact! I am SO looking forward to an aerial assault on my settlements!

I think I'll try the Fat Man on my Sanctuary fence as an experiment to determine durability. (After a Quicksave of course)

(@CAMAROBOY69 those display car wrecks will take the limit down of your settlement, so maybe scrap them if you hit your limit)

I used 1 and totally awesome. :cheers:

Also the game is way too addicting.
I now have 9 settlements. :D

There is only 1 place I have a problem with reaching the map limit and that is a major spoiler. I am nowhere near my limit in Sanctuary or anywhere else.

And yes this game is severely addictive especially the crafting and maintaining settlement happiness. I even have the most expensive store in one of my cities. So now money seems to be coming along with ease.

One of these days I will actually play the storyline. :lol:

Long shot probably, but I wonder if you can do that on console lol.

I now have 9 settlements. :D

There is only 1 place I have a problem with reaching the map limit and that is a major spoiler. I am nowhere near my limit in Sanctuary or anywhere else.

And yes this game is severely addictive especially the crafting and maintaining settlement happiness. I even have the most expensive store in one of my cities. So now money seems to be coming along with ease.

One of these days I will actually play the storyline. :lol:
Question. I finished the questline that brings settlers to Sanctuary, so I'm sitting with 5 right now and have my base all set up, but I have a question. I built some stores, but how do I get the population to operate them?

Question. I finished the questline that brings settlers to Sanctuary, so I'm sitting with 5 right now and have my base all set up, but I have a question. I built some stores, but how do I get the population to operate them?
When you have the workshop menu up where you can build things, approach a settler, there should be a button to assign and then assign them to said shop.

When you have the workshop menu up where you can build things, approach a settler, there should be a button to assign and then assign them to said shop.
Gotcha, thanks! :)

I started the quest to get to Diamond City yesterday, and I messed it up horribly. I had my rifle equipped, and was picking off what I thought was a raider in the distance. I only saw his helmet so I didn't recognize his armor, as he was actually the Diamond City Security. Not paying attention to it, I try to get into the city only to realize that they are very, very hostile. Everyone in the whole damn town was after me :lol: I ended up having to reload a save file that was one hour old as nothing I did was alleviating the situation.

Back