Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
Yeah, hence why I got a VATs mod that has an option to actually freeze time like back in the Fallout 3 :)
Gives me time to think and plan my move and evaluate the situation and check out the enemy levels etc

Also, I picked up permanent Mole Rat disease, -10 max hp, from a quest :(
Didn't realise until I checked my status effects and saw that pill symbol!
All because I wanted Piper to like me :banghead:
Wow, I didn't know you could get infected, will have to keep an eye on that, thanks.
A shame I'm on PS4, would like that VATS mod. I have never checked enemy levels, again didn't know that was possible, I did manage to eliminate one raider who had a skull symbol by his name, he was on a boat in the river, using .50 cal sniper rifle, took ages as his power armour absorbed everything.

Wow, I didn't know you could get infected, will have to keep an eye on that, thanks.
A shame I'm on PS4, would like that VATS mod. I have never checked enemy levels, again didn't know that was possible, I did manage to eliminate one raider who had a skull symbol by his name, he was on a boat in the river, using .50 cal sniper rifle, took ages as his power armour absorbed everything.

Mods for consoles should out early next year.

There is a Persuasion perk call Awareness that allows you to see target level and resistances in VATS

Thanks. I'll head over there now.
Both Tenpines Bluff and Graygarden are pretty far away and a dangerous trip to make at level 7. Abarnathy farm is a lot closer and it has lots of tato's (just go south/southwest from Sanctuary). Also note that you can also simply harvest stuff that's already at Sanctuary and then plant it.

Mods for consoles should out early next year.

There is a Persuasion perk call Awareness that allows you to see target level and resistances in VATS
There should be a perk for giving your settlers a slap. Had a settler ask me to deal with some raiders, he said there was three of them. At the location he provided, and after about a dozen raiders, plus dogs and caged mirelurks and the map saying 'cleared' I was still getting shot at.

Both Tenpines Bluff and Graygarden are pretty far away and a dangerous trip to make at level 7.
Now you tell me - I went at level 4! I didn't want to level up by building beds, and the alternative was to go to Diamond City, but I was obviously under-levelled for the trip. The only sticky situation was when I cleared out Olivia Station, but I had the minigun from the Concord mission; I knew I couldn't take out the Deathclaw on my own, so I tripped it early and pitted it against the raiders. Otherwise, it went pretty smoothly, but I found it really tough when I went on to Lexington.

My Starlight Drive-In settlement.
513a352.jpg

4ba3b50.jpg

51eb471.jpg

4d543d5.jpg

4def342.jpg
My Spectacle Island settlement, it took more than a few trips to get all the steel and concrete I needed... I was surprised that the build limit was only just past half way, perhaps you're given a higher build limit because the island is quite empty.
cb49efc.jpg

caa6789.jpg

ccad2ed.jpg

ce7ca44.jpg

d2cecaf.jpg

Tower Ground Floor (Workshop) ^
d0b094e.jpg

Tower 1st Floor (Housing) ^
d1a02b0.jpg

Tower 2nd Floor (Shopping/Relaxing Area) ^
cd9b980.jpg

Tower 3rd Floor (Potential Power Armor Room) ^
cf8ff97.jpg

Tower Roof ^
d23f8db.jpg

Observation Deck ^

Last edited:
Where can I reliably source ammo? I usually pick it up from raiders, but lately I have been encountering more and more critters, and since they don't carry ammunition, I'm burning through it faster than I am finding it, and I am really hesitant to go too far out into the world without the ability to fight back.

Where can I reliably source ammo? I usually pick it up from raiders, but lately I have been encountering more and more critters, and since they don't carry ammunition, I'm burning through it faster than I am finding it, and I am really hesitant to go too far out into the world without the ability to fight back.
There is a way to easily acquire ammo from traders by abusing a glitch but if you want to play cleanly I'd suggest picking up a wide range of weapons so that whenever you pick up ammo you have something that can use it, you could also try modding your weapons so that they rely more on power to kill things rather than their rate of fire, also with there being so many settlements you could take all of the valuable materials from a few of them to sell to traders in exchange for ammo. I heard that a lot of money can be made by selling fresh water that can be produced at some settlements too.

Get the perk that means you find more ammo.

Get the perk that means you find more ammo.

The Scrounger perk, I think it was. The perk really does help in finding ammo, to the point that you might never run out of common ammo if you're thorough at exploring.

What I did was to make the weapon or weapons more powerful, then I picked the relevent perk, for instance with pistols there is a perk to do 20% more damage, and goes up in increments. So far I have not had to purchase ammo.

sneaky, for PC version

Fallout 4 has a data file managing menu like previous Bethesda's games, it's just hidden, in an unusual place in fact.

If you click below the Power Armor's left eye in the launcher, the data menu will pops up.
And from my testings, it works just like Skyrim's. So now you don't need to mess with the plugin.txt while modding.

You need to have "bEnableFileSelection=1" under "[Launcher]" in FalloutPrefs.ini to make it work.

640-1-1447572033.png

640-0-1447572033.png

Get the meat from the critters and use it on a cooking station/stove to create a soup or roast. Prepared meals are worth a lot more than the pieces of meat (they also restore a lot of health). Then sell/trade it for ammo at a trader. And the perks help too of course.

Got two questions for y'all:

1) is it possible to keep on playing without the whole settlement management? If I wanted to play SimCity, I'd buy it...

2) is there a way to turn down the gamma settings for the game on PC? Don't feel like adjusting my monitor every time I want to play it, as it's perfectly well set up for everything else :ouch:

1) after the tutorial style quest you can basically ignore it, let them die and never bother doing any of them settlement requests. Although it will lock you out of the Minutemen faction stuff I think.
Even then you can just add a water pump, a bed or two, and a Sentry gun and call it done. That's what I mostly do. But you will want your personal space decently protected, or get a home in the city.
Growing certain crops can greatly aid your crafting though.

2) Nothing in game, but I haven't felt the need to do so, and I'm usually pretty fussy about stuff like that.
One of the few games that has a lighting system, especially daylight that looks more like real life.
Good enough that I won't bother modding it, although night time could be much darker.

The Scrounger perk, I think it was. The perk really does help in finding ammo, to the point that you might never run out of common ammo if you're thorough at exploring.

Even without the scrounger perk, you should find more than enough .38 and 10mm ammo to keep your mall arms supplies well stocked early on. And as mentioned above, you're probably better off going with the Gunslinger perk to give you a fighting chance against some higher level enemies. It helped to an extent in my playthrough.

1) is it possible to keep on playing without the whole settlement management? If I wanted to play SimCity, I'd buy it...

You can leave settlements to cope without the required resources. All you'd have to worry about is the lack of settler happiness and a series of side missions which I've spent far too much of my time doing lately. You're basically given a limitless and recurring set of generic "clearing out a specific area" or "capture a hostage" tasks by the Minutemen, and my main source of XP up to level 27.

Currently re-purposing some of the steel walls I'd built around Sanctuary (they won't help a great deal in an attack) to finish off the third floor hangar for my power armour collection. The north end overhangs the street with an opening for me to just drop down with the armour equipped when required. It's a complete eyesore, but being able to just drop in on an attack makes for a perfect entrance.

Last edited:
a limitless and recurring set of generic "clearing out a specific area" or "capture a hostage" tasks by the Minutemen

I've just started getting these, not sure I want to keep clearing out the same areas, only good for scrap collecting.

The north end overhangs the street with an opening for me to just drop down with the armour equipped when required. It's a complete eyesore, but being ale to just drop in on an attack makes for a perfect entrance.

Which makes me think I'll reposition my Fast Travel Landing Pad to a high point on an elevated structure so I can arrive with an advantage of surprise.

Stupid question: what is the male character's default name? The female's is Nora, but if you play as her, what is her husband's name? Maybe it's just me, but he looks like a Kevin (though for the record, my character is one Mitchell Adam McRae).

Also using melee weapons can help save on ammo, if you have decent strength
I pumped a lot of my early points into raising my basic stats, although my strength is relatively low compared to the others. Still, I just found Trudy in the diner and she's got a sword.

Stupid question: what is the male character's default name? The female's is Nora, but if you play as her, what is her husband's name? Maybe it's just me, but he looks like a Kevin (though for the record, my character is one Mitchell Adam McRae).
The male default name is Nate. :)

The male default name is Nate. :)
Very masculine. Just as "Nora" is feminine. And "Nate and Nora" sounds like the title of a cheesy Chuck Lorre sitcom, which I suppose is the point.

I know it's just a name, but since it's an avatar for the player - an extension of the player in the digital world - so we project a lot of our own selves onto it. The name is really the only thing that belongs to the character (and even that can be replaced), so the name given by the developers has to be representative of them; hence the masculine "Nate" and feminine "Nora". After all, when Ian Fleming created James Bond, he chose the name because he felt that it was simple, effective and masculine; had he named the character "Percival Higgins-Smythe", Bond would have been a radically different character (case in point, Jeffrey Deaver used that name for a character in the continuation novel Carte Blanche, and as was intended, he was a self-important tosser).

Didn't mean to get analytical on you, but I just finished a unit of work on the merits of emerging digital media as a text type (read: can we stydy video games the way we do film and serious literature?) with my Year 9 class.

I've spent a fair bit tidying up Sanctuary and building some nice houses and stuff...

...then the settlers never actually use the buildings, preferring staying on rooftops instead :/

Even without the scrounger perk, you should find more than enough .38 and 10mm ammo to keep your mall arms supplies well stocked early on. And as mentioned above, you're probably better off going with the Gunslinger perk to give you a fighting chance against some higher level enemies. It helped to an extent in my playthrough.

That's true. But the perk helps a bit so I don't have to buy ammo from merchants.

That's true. But the perk helps a bit so I don't have to buy ammo from merchants.
I supposed that it is a annoying habit, but I always try to buy ammo from merchants whenever possible. It saves me the need run out personally, especially when I invest into the merchants.

Getting a bit frustrated with the game. I want to reach out and start exploring new areas, but I'm pretty weak and constantly getting killed. But if I stay in the places I know, it gets a bit repetitive.

Getting a bit frustrated with the game. I want to reach out and start exploring new areas, but I'm pretty weak and constantly getting killed. But if I stay in the places I know, it gets a bit repetitive.
If you're weak you can always evade/snear around (packs of) enemies. If you make it to Concord you'll get some better stuff that should help you stay alive. 👍

In Concord you'll fight a raider gang. You can loot all the raiders for their weapons and armor. And there's more, but I won't spoil that.

If you're weak you can always evade/snear around (packs of) enemies. If you make it to Concord you'll get some better stuff that should help you stay alive. 👍

In Concord you'll fight a raider gang. You can loot all the raiders for their weapons and armor. And there's more, but I won't spoil that.
I'm well past that. I was mostly doing missions for Preston, but wound up in difficult territory out to the east. So I went south; I gave Danse a hand at ArcJet, and went on to Diamond City. I just met Piper.

Back