Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
The loading times have been getting longer and now just got my first crash.
While moving items from myself to companion, I went staight to an error message and do I want to report it.
Where it happened is rather annoying, I'll have a break and re-try and see what happens.
When it crashed it went to the console main menu .

Last edited:
Yeah, I had the game freeze on me the other day. I was running around east Boston near the Trinity Tower with Piper when I stumbled into a gang of super mutants and the game locked up.

Look who I found in vault 75.

494D0A76DB25A8AD1F46AC919A16994B558FE8D0

Got my first Deathclaw kill. It took some time and some retries because of my difficulty settings but 🤬...that was intense and it was just one. I can't imagine fighting them in groups or worse, indoors. I also had an epic battle with 3 low level Synths. They hunted me like a rat. I genuinely got scared for my life because of their taunts and how difficult to fight them. And I killed my first Legendary Synth thanks to two Super Mutants. I let them fight each other first then I kill them all before they exhaust their HP.

Last edited:
How do I switch companions? I found Curie and sent Dogmeat to Graygarden, but thrn changed my mind. So I went to Graygarden, but now I can't find Dogmeat and I don't want Curie to be my companion anymore.

How do I switch companions? I found Curie and sent Dogmeat to Graygarden, but thrn changed my mind. So I went to Graygarden, but now I can't find Dogmeat and I don't want Curie to be my companion anymore.
You have to talk to the companion you want to use and tell them to accompany you

On PC its very easy, you type some commands using console(~) In consoles (PS4 etc) I read you can see Dogmeat in dog houses. Or go to the last place you told Dogmeat to stay. That also works on PC. He'd still be there.

You have to talk to the companion you want to use and tell them to accompany you
I know that. I think that the problem was that I was doing "Reunions". Dogmeat was scripted to stay at Fort Hagen; that's why he never went to Graygarden. I found him outside when I got there. But I couldn't change from Curie to Dogmeat the way I wanted to. Curie supposed followed me inside, but never actually appeared until I got onto the elevator at the end of the mission. Now I am outside Fort Hagen and both are missing. Hopefully Dogmeat has gone to Graygarden as originally instructed.

Is there a way to view the locations of all inactive companions? Or do I need to remember where I left all of them?

I know that. I think that the problem was that I was doing "Reunions". Dogmeat was scripted to stay at Fort Hagen; that's why he never went to Graygarden. I found him outside when I got there. But I couldn't change from Curie to Dogmeat the way I wanted to. Curie supposed followed me inside, but never actually appeared until I got onto the elevator at the end of the mission. Now I am outside Fort Hagen and both are missing. Hopefully Dogmeat has gone to Graygarden as originally instructed.

Is there a way to view the locations of all inactive companions? Or do I need to remember where I left all of them?
No way to view inactive companions

No way to view inactive companions
Damn.

Okay, so I went back to Graygarden and found Dogmeat. But I can only get the "talk" command. Apparently the game still thinks that Curie is my companion, but I have no idea where she is to dismiss her. She was supposedly with me in Fort Hagen, but like I said, she was completely absent until I rode the elevator to the surface. Then she disappeared again. So I have no idea if she is still at Fort Hagen, or if she went back to Vault 81 (I don't know why she would), or if the game still thinks that she is with me and has somehow glitched out.

Damn.

Okay, so I went back to Graygarden and found Dogmeat. But I can only get the "talk" command. Apparently the game still thinks that Curie is my companion, but I have no idea where she is to dismiss her. She was supposedly with me in Fort Hagen, but like I said, she was completely absent until I rode the elevator to the surface. Then she disappeared again. So I have no idea if she is still at Fort Hagen, or if she went back to Vault 81 (I don't know why she would), or if the game still thinks that she is with me and has somehow glitched out.
If you haven't finished Reunions yet, finish it, then talk to Dogmeat to get him to follow you and you should be able to send Curie to a settlement and she'll end up there eventually

If you haven't finished Reunions yet, finish it, then talk to Dogmeat to get him to follow you and you should be able to send Curie to a settlement and she'll end up there eventually
Okay. I still have to do the final step - talking with Nick - so maybe the problem is that I can't switch mid-mission.

Speaking of Nick, a defective android who plays up to noir tropes as a post-apocalyptic private eye is quite possibly the most awesome thing ever. Even the voice is spot on.

I've been playing the same character since release and I've not had a single radiation storm. :(
Perhaps it's weird to be sad about that, but I think they look and are awesome.

On a different note, is save bloat still an issue? Or does it no longer happen at all?

Last edited:
I use a mod where each lighting bolt gives you 50 rads during a storm, makes them much more intense :)

Last edited:

By the time I got to Fort Hagen I needed to off load some junk, fast travelled to dump it and never seen Dogmeat again.
I've done about 9 hours playing since and still no sign

I just got the Local Leader rank 2 perk earlier and built both an armour and a weapons store. I'm a little curious how these work (and guessing I wasted 2000 caps). I know they're supposed to deposit caps earned in to the workshop, but how do I retrieve those caps? What category do they fall under? And can I buy stuff at the stores? Because after building them and once the settlers were manning them I had no options available on them. Also, would they be selling my weapons and armour in the workshop inventory?
I read online just before that producing huge excesses of purified water is a good way to make cash. I know purified water appears in my workshop, is that just from having excess water pumps? I've only got the most basic water pump, no electricity used. And does anyone know how flares keep appearing in my workshop ever since Preston gave me a flare gun? I've never tried it, but do Minutemen really appear to help when you fire off a flare? Can you command them or do they just attack what ever enemies are nearby?

I encountered some nice Legendary enemies today that gave me some nice goodies. First it was a group of 4 Super Mutants, one Legendary, one Suicide and two regulars. I'm starting to use terrain a lot more to my advantage now, and a well placed grenade lobbed from the top of a cliff face blew up the suicide bomber which in turn destroyed all 4 of them.:D Got a freezing sniper rifle off them which does 10 addition energy/freeze damage and freezes opponents on critical hits. Nailed it! Later on I encountered another Legendary Mirelurk and 6 of his buddies which gave me a VATS enhanced Synth chest piece which was a nice upgrade over the Metal unit I was using, and means I used slightly less AP in VATS. I was able to perch on a rock face they couldn't get to, I never took a single hit from them.:dopey:
I'm playing on Very Hard btw, PS4.

Last edited:
I just got the Local Leader rank 2 perk earlier and built both an armour and a weapons store. I'm a little curious how these work (and guessing I wasted 2000 caps). I know they're supposed to deposit caps earned in to the workshop, but how do I retrieve those caps? What category do they fall under? And can I buy stuff at the stores? Because after building them and once the settlers were manning them I had no options available on them. Also, would they be selling my weapons and armour in the workshop inventory?
I read online just before that producing huge excesses of purified water is a good way to make cash. I know purified water appears in my workshop, is that just from having excess water pumps? I've only got the most basic water pump, no electricity used. And does anyone know how flares keep appearing in my workshop ever since Preston gave me a flare gun? I've never tried it, but do Minutemen really appear to help when you fire off a flare? Can you command them or do they just attack what ever enemies are nearby?
You're traders deposit caps in the settlements workbench, I think it's daily. If you check the workbench look under Misc you should see caps, I'm not sure if this varies on population though.
I keep getting flares but never used them, have about 1,300 at the moment.
You'll also see purified water and sometimes food here as well.
I built a container to hold gear so cannot confirm or deny if settlers use or sell your gear.

You're traders deposit caps in the settlements workbench, I think it's daily. If you check the workbench look under Misc you should see caps, I'm not sure if this varies on population though.
I keep getting flares but never used them, have about 1,300 at the moment.
You'll also see purified water and sometimes food here as well.
I built a container to hold gear so cannot confirm or deny if settlers use or sell your gear.

Yeah you guys gave me the container tip early on, but I only put my prized gear in there, there are probably hundreds of pipe weapons and leather armours etc. in my workshop.:lol: Thanks though, now I know to look in Misc.

Yeah you guys gave me the container tip early on, but I only put my prized gear in there, there are probably hundreds of pipe weapons and leather armours etc. in my workshop.:lol: Thanks though, now I know to look in Misc.
When constructing your stores you have three choices, these give different return on caps, so don't expect great things straight away.

Eks
I've been playing the same character since release and I've not had a single radiation storm. :(
Perhaps it's weird to be sad about that, but I think they look and are awesome.

That surprises me. I've probably had about one radiation storm per two hours of gameplay on average. The vast majority have occurred when I've been in a settlement it seems.

They create a disturbingly "real" ambience, and definitely add to the game. I find it unsettling and at first, I'd try going for shelter. Now I just get on with my business and watch the rads grow. They upset Codsworth.

I bought the season pass last night, really excited for more Fallout 4 :lol:

I got mine a few days ago - saw it for a good price on Ozgameshop with Google link (it's actually more expensive if you find it directly on their site), and added in my loyality points for $5 more off. Nice price considering the exchange rate. About $35 AUD. Would be even cheaper for anyone paying via USD

Considering I'm already over 150 hours, and not even halfway through my first playthrough, with more to come and more characters to try, it was a no brainer. I don't think I even cracked 100 hours on Skyrim, even though I've modded it to hell and back.

Only other game on Steam I've done more hours is Path of Exile, 946 hours, well ARPG games tend to do that :)
And I have spent close to $200 on that for extra inventory stash space. Worth it from the $$$ to hours perspective I guess. And I can keep playing it forever as they continue to create new content and skills year after year.
Next is another ARPG called Grim Dawn at 163 hours, but I've only just scratched the surface on that one. It's still in Early Access.

I think No Man's Sky will be the next hour sucking game exploration/sandbox game for me :sly:

I use a mod where each lighting bolt gives you 50 rads during a storm, makes them much more intense :)

I just wear my Hazmat suit when a rad storm comes up, so it's not big deal.
Like when when it springs up while I'm building.

Plus I have a mod that allows extra armour pieces to be used over that suit and other similar clothing.
More for the convenience of not having to keep changing armour parts whenever I change to clothing that normally would remove those parts like charisma clothing for speech checks or vendoring.

I wish you could favourite clothing sets....

Is it just me or the game keeps crashing at the city region? I guess it makes sense since it's incredibly active around that area but it doesn't help that the game crashes with no error message..
I am running a few mods (6 active) but I don't think they pose a huge issue because until now the game never crashed.

I got mine a few days ago

Considering I'm already over 150 hours, and not even halfway through my first playthrough, with more to come and more characters to try, it was a no brainer..
Have been considering getting the season pass, wanted to see how the game panned out first, and now, likewise, with 100+ hours it seems inevitable.

Decided not to turn the quests given by Preston, as they just kept repeating, to concerntrate on others. After some time the game turned them in and just gave me the XP, damnit.

Is it just me or the game keeps crashing at the city region? I guess it makes sense since it's incredibly active around that area but it doesn't help that the game crashes with no error message..
I am running a few mods (6 active) but I don't think they pose a huge issue because until now the game never crashed.

Try the beta update, you have to opt into beta patches, by right clicking the fallout 4 icon in steam and go into properties> beta tab

But before you do this make sure your

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Fallout4\plugins.txt

Is set to read only. Otherwise the game will overwrite it, remove all mods

The frame rates are much better in city areas, so I guess there were significant changes there. Although I have not had any crashes... funny considering my system is well under spec, video card wise (GTX 570 1.2GB), but I do have a strong CPU (i7 3930k 6 core at 4ghz) and lots of memory (16GB)

--

Setttlement raid mod - makes raids a lot tougher!

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2995/?

On hardest mod difficulty level

Last edited:
Is there a level cap in the game? Or can you just keep going until you max out all the stats and perks you want?
BTW, when ever a radiation storm pops up I head straight to a bed and sleep through it, saves you getting any more rads. If you get there fast enough you won't get any.
I'm guessing the season pass will extend the map as well, this game might be worth it.

Is there a level cap in the game? Or can you just keep going until you max out all the stats and perks you want?
BTW, when ever a radiation storm pops up I head straight to a bed and sleep through it, saves you getting any more rads. If you get there fast enough you won't get any.
I'm guessing the season pass will extend the map as well, this game might be worth it.
No max level

Back