Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
If anyone remembers or happens to be doing the "Devil's Due" quest, could you look on your map and let me know where the
Deathclaw nest is, if you decided to bring the egg back
Thanks.

Is there a level cap in the game? Or can you just keep going until you max out all the stats and perks you want?
BTW, when ever a radiation storm pops up I head straight to a bed and sleep through it, saves you getting any more rads. If you get there fast enough you won't get any.
I'm guessing the season pass will extend the map as well, this game might be worth it.

That's what I do for radiation storms, or if no bed near fast track out then back.
A no level cap is a surprise, check the Fallout 4 tips thread for more, it's where I found out about the level cap.

If anyone remembers or happens to be doing the "Devil's Due" quest, could you look on your map and let me know where the
Deathclaw nest is, if you decided to bring the egg back
Thanks.

The nest is a bit West of the Parsons State Insane Asylum. Be aware though the only thing you get from it is
a Deathclaw Gauntlet.

First Behemoth met.
Extremely lucky with this, found the Behemoth being swarmed by Feral Ghouls so as they fought I got myself a good position, when the Behemoth was finished I found he had only 1/3 health left, so sniped him to death, eventually.
When I first saw this, it did remind me of the Cave troll from Fellowship of the Ring, glad I had a gun.

So, I met Swan this morning. He was at level 50; I was at level 17. He didn't survive.

Anyway, was someone in here saying that they were having trouble conserving ammo? I swear I saw it. Well, whoever it was, here's what I did: I sunk my skill points into perks that allowed me to find more bottlecaps and get better deals from traders. Then I went to Trudie at the Drumlin Diner and bought "General Chao's Revenge", a special sword with 44 damage. It's very useful against ghouls and super mutants; the kinds of enemies that chew through your ammo but rarely offer any up, even with ammo-scrounging perks.

Ran into a guy called Art...
Actually two Arts. Both claiming the other guy was a Synth. Really running short on patience, I killed both of them. I guess I'm a Masshole. Or I will be when I've killed 300!

I found a sinkhole today and roaming inside was a Deathclaw. I used rock formations to my advantage again and was able to take him down. Then I found out the sinkhole had a hole that lead somewhere, so I went down it (after quicksaving of course!) and found there was no way back up except through a Legendary Ghoul and a Glowing One! Using rock formations for vantage points again I eventually took them out. I did get a nice Hunter's 10mm which does 50% extra damage to all animals, not bad at all. I could have sworn I killed the Legendary Ghoul early, but after the Glowing One let off some sort of radioactive blast he was back with full health. Either that or I killed two Legendary Ghouls and couldn't find the 2nd body (believe me I looked). But according to the Wiki:
Even more deadly in Fallout 4, a Glowing One isn't only stronger than a normal Feral ghoul (Fallout 4), with a radiation burst it is able to bring other ferals back to life.
Good to know! Take out Glowing Ones first if possible!

I also got a trick but annoying piece of armour off a Legendary Super Mutant later, a Chameleon Metal leg piece that makes me turn all but invisible when I stand still in sneak mode. That's all well and good but it makes the Pip Boy screen unreadable for some dumb reason, so I took it off.:(

So, I met Swan this morning. He was at level 50; I was at level 17. He didn't survive.

Anyway, was someone in here saying that they were having trouble conserving ammo? I swear I saw it. Well, whoever it was, here's what I did: I sunk my skill points into perks that allowed me to find more bottlecaps and get better deals from traders. Then I went to Trudie at the Drumlin Diner and bought "General Chao's Revenge", a special sword with 44 damage. It's very useful against ghouls and super mutants; the kinds of enemies that chew through your ammo but rarely offer any up, even with ammo-scrounging perks.

That was me and I've since been doing alright. I also just got the level 1 ammo scrounging perk which should make things even better. Having a combat rifle gives me an extra ammo typo to use as well.

Ran into a guy called Art...
Actually two Arts. Both claiming the other guy was a Synth. Really running short on patience, I killed both of them. I guess I'm a Masshole. Or I will be when I've killed 300!

I did some negotiating and eventually let the human kill the Synth, Preston liked it.

That was me and I've since been doing alright. I also just got the level 1 ammo scrounging perk which should make things even better. Having a combat rifle gives me an extra ammo typo to use as well.
Try and get your hands on everything - the 10mm pistol, .38 pipe pistols and rifles, .308 sniper rifles, and laser pistols that run on fusion cells. There's also .45s, .50s, and 5.56mm out there, but I haven't encountered any weapons that just yet. And there's the minigun that runs on 5mm ammo, but it's incredibly heavy.

A melee weapon helps, though. Like I said, ghouls and super mutants rarely drop ammo, and when they do, you will have spent more ammo taking them down than what you will pick up. Although there is one version of a super mutant that demands you shoot it. You'll find out why soon enough.

So I was happily inching my way across the cityscape to get to a quest destination and like always got side tracked and came across this crater that is heavily irradiated. Hell I was getting +2 to +5 rads on the edge of it...

There was a lot of ghouls here, like 10+, most were level 3 and 9, with one level 9 legendary.
And one level 40 Putrid Glowing One.

They immediately saw me upon cresting the crater edge, and charged up the other side of it to get to me, but they must have encountered a raider group because I heard a ton of gun fire, then silence and then boom they were on me, front and back.

At level 23 I didn't stand a chance, noped out of there! :scared:
My 100+ damage combat shotgun, plus grenades didn't do much to the Putird Glowing One!

JePzFV1.jpg

Just before I died :mischievous:

1CAo9Cf.jpg

Last edited:
So I was happily inching my way across the cityscape to get to a quest destination and like always got side tracked and came across this crater that is heavily irradiated. Hell I was getting +2 to +5 rads on the edge of it...

There was a lot of ghouls here, like 10+, most were level 3 and 9, with one level 9 legendary.

They immediately saw me upon cresting the crater edge, and charged up the other side of it to get to me, but they must have encountered a raider group because I heard a ton of gun fire, then silence and then boom they were on me, front and back.

My 100+ damage combat shotgun, plus grenades didn't do much to the Putird Glowing One!

JePzFV1.jpg

1CAo9Cf.jpg
I came across the same place a few days ago, getting sidetracked just as you did too (but how easy is it to do that in Fallout?) and thankfully for me, all the ghouls got stuck behind this fence/gate so I threw a plasma grenade over there and that was that. :lol:

Combat Shotguns can get to over 100 damage @CoolColJ? I'll have to double check mine, I think I have some. I've been rolling with an Enraging Double Barrell.

Try and get your hands on everything - the 10mm pistol, .38 pipe pistols and rifles, .308 sniper rifles, and laser pistols that run on fusion cells. There's also .45s, .50s, and 5.56mm out there, but I haven't encountered any weapons that just yet. And there's the minigun that runs on 5mm ammo, but it's incredibly heavy.

A melee weapon helps, though. Like I said, ghouls and super mutants rarely drop ammo, and when they do, you will have spent more ammo taking them down than what you will pick up. Although there is one version of a super mutant that demands you shoot it. You'll find out why soon enough.

Yeah I did do that pretty early on actually, but the pipe pistol is pretty damn useless and I haven't used it in ages because my 10mm ammo has been going good. I do have a decent laser rifle, though again haven't used it in a while because it's not as good as my Combat Rifle which I think uses .45? Anyway ammo on that has been good for a while as well. I love using my .308 caliber sniper rifle as it is a Freezing edition which does 10 additional Cryo damage and freezes enemies on critical hits. That freeze has gotten me out of some tight situations.:drool: I also just picked up some other sniper rifles that had higher-than-me level mods, it's got some of the best gear now. In fact, now I think of it I should probably stop carrying the Cryolator with me since I can freeze enemies with a critical hit anyway (I had it for tight situations). I'll have to see how a rocket launcher or something compares for weight.:mischievous:
.50 Cal is a mod you can do on the sniper rifle, I haven't seen a use for it on anything else. I have no idea what 5.56mm ammo is for but I always get it from auto turrets. I think there's also a .44 ammo?
In fact, typing this made me check the Wiki.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_ammunition

Edit: Has anyone ever bought a 2nd dog? Is it the same as Dogmeat I suppose?
Edit 2: Never mind, Wiki had the answer again!:D Apparently the dog you purchase from the trader Gene simply acts as a Settler and gives the settlement he is assigned a +5 Defensive rating. There's actually a third dog you can find randomly in the wild that can become a companion.

Last edited:
I got a couple of surprises last night.
Firstly, I have now found Dogmeat, sitting at the door to Fort Hagen.
Secondly, while just wandering through the countryside, Codsworth started whistling, he whistled the first two lines of the French national anthem.
It's what I did from the off, experience from past Fallout games, took ages to find a 5.56mm weapon as I never buy things only sell. Apart from near the start of the game I have not used a .308 weapon and now have just over 10,000 rounds, very surprised when I noticed. I don't use automatic weapons either, also saves ammo.

For ghouls you have to shoot at their legs so they can drop and become immobile. Sadly for Glowing Ones they absorb so much damage you'll probably need a gun that deals extra limb damage or something. I somehow managed to drop a couple Glowing Ones and they were pretty much like Radroaches at that point.

Combat Shotguns can get to over 100 damage @CoolColJ? I'll have to double check mine, I think I have some. I've been rolling with an Enraging Double Barrell.

Yeah I did do that pretty early on actually, but the pipe pistol is pretty damn useless and I haven't used it in ages because my 10mm ammo has been going good. I do have a decent laser rifle, though again haven't used it in a while because it's not as good as my Combat Rifle which I think uses .45? Anyway ammo on that has been good for a while as well. I love using my .308 caliber sniper rifle as it is a Freezing edition which does 10 additional Cryo damage and freezes enemies on critical hits. That freeze has gotten me out of some tight situations.:drool: I also just picked up some other sniper rifles that had higher-than-me level mods, it's got some of the best gear now. In fact, now I think of it I should probably stop carrying the Cryolator with me since I can freeze enemies with a critical hit anyway (I had it for tight situations). I'll have to see how a rocket launcher or something compares for weight.:mischievous:
.50 Cal is a mod you can do on the sniper rifle, I haven't seen a use for it on anything else. I have no idea what 5.56mm ammo is for but I always get it from auto turrets. I think there's also a .44 ammo?
In fact, typing this made me check the Wiki.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_ammunition

Edit 2: Never mind, Wiki had the answer again!:D Apparently the dog you purchase from the trader Gene simply acts as a Settler and gives the settlement he is assigned a +5 Defensive rating. There's actually a third dog you can find randomly in the wild that can become a companion.

5.56 ammunition is for the Assault Rifle. It's pretty comparable to the Combat Rifle.

Missiles are pretty underwhelming in this game. They aren't much better than frag grenades. However it's nice that my Missile Launcher has targeting guidance.

I got a couple of surprises last night.
Firstly, I have now found Dogmeat, sitting at the door to Fort Hagen.
Secondly, while just wandering through the countryside, Codsworth started whistling, he whistled the first two lines of the French national anthem.

It's what I did from the off, experience from past Fallout games, took ages to find a 5.56mm weapon as I never buy things only sell. Apart from near the start of the game I have not used a .308 weapon and now have just over 10,000 rounds, very surprised when I noticed. I don't use automatic weapons either, also saves ammo.

You should sell off those .308 rounds.. Nice way to make some caps, even though each round is 1 caps.

Speaking of auto weapons, I found a Neverending 10mm Pistol, and I immediately sprang an idea to mod it into an automatic. It's a decent gun to eliminate weaker enemies, but it eats up just as much ammo as the Minigun or the Gatling Laser.

Yes mine does 109 damage, with 2 levels in the Rifleman Perk, and Gun Nut tier 2 mods.
Fitted a drum mag which holds about 32 rounds, so it's good for close combat.

My Double Barrell does the same damage, but the slow reload is not great, but it does do 50% more damage to Super Mutants. If it had an Endless Ammo Capacity afix it would be great though, no reload!

For mid range I use my Combat rifle, it kinda looks like an AK-47 with my current mods with a big bayonet :)
That does about 68 damage. It sometimes seems to kill faster than the Combat Shotgun.
Probably due to the better accuracy and tighter spread.

Those are my 2 staple guns.
I also like using my Gamma Wave laser shotgun - that does 61 damage, but much longer range than the combat shotgun and ignites enemies.
And an Gamma Wave Institute rifle, only 39 damage, but it fires really fast and also ignites. But the gun takes up a lot of the screen.... it originally had a scope, and had to get rid of that since it takes up so much screen space...

I think the burn damage from these laser guns stack over each shot, but not sure.

---

I was offered that dog, but I failed the speech check so wasn't able to buy it :(

---

The whole area around there, where I saw those ghouls and further on is pretty nice for sight seeing.
Got my Grognak Costume a bit later, when I stumbled upon that comic shop, had to put it on Piper after I got back to Red Rocket to see how it looked on her :lol:

Grognak Costume, plus extra bits of armour over the top is pretty strong, and has a bit radiation protection. Pushed my armour ratings to 111, 96, 30 with Destroyer's helmet and a few legendary armour parts.
It also pushes my strength to 10, so my carry weight is close to 400. But I don't use much melee, so it's kinda wasted. But that Grognak Axe and Power Fist I picked up today look cool to try

edit - with my other armour combo, I walk around with 12 Intelligence, and it makes hacking a joke! So easy with only 4-5 words.
Also boosts experience gain a fair bit

Last edited:
So my second play through is going well but I'm still disappointed in the way AMD cards handle the game (I blame developers more than the actual card companies).
Even with the ENBoost I'm still only using about 2.5gb of vram. Guessing I'd have to step up to 4k or something to make use of the extra vram but at that level my crappy amd card wouldn't handle it. :(

I've also been playing with the setting a lot. For some reason the game refuses to let me turn off godrays unless I go to "low" preset and then manually change everything back to high with max draw distances.
Even then I'm not sure it keep the godrays off (probably turns them back on when I accept and the settings are loaded as the game actually launches. :meh:

That said, I'm definitely taking a more experienced approach this time around and looking forward to getting really high level with some of the level 6+ perks (only had luck that high in my first play through).

All that aside, anyone out there finding good mods for visual effects and all that? I've seen the enhanced wasteland mod but that didn't look like it was much of an improvement so I didn't bother.

the pipe pistol is pretty damn useless and I haven't used it in ages because my 10mm ammo has been going good
I have an extensively-modified pipe rifle; I was fortunate enough to find a few with high-end mods, so I crafted basic mods and moved all the good stuff to one rifle. The same thing happened with my laser rifle; I stumbled into the Vault under Malden Middle School, which was occupied by a group of gunners, and somehow survived long enough to get a heavily-modified laser rifle. It chews through ammo like there's no tomorrow (which is why I renamed it "No Tomorrow"), but it has been very handy during "The Lost Patrol" as it reduces radscorpions and Glowing Ones to ashes.

Just finished the main story (sided with the brotherhood) and again Fallout delivers , only Heavy rain has given me such a headache when multiple choices and actions exist, loved every minute of it.

Now to fully explore the commonwealth and invest another 40 hours into it :)

Yes mine does 109 damage, with 2 levels in the Rifleman Perk, and Gun Nut tier 2 mods.
Fitted a drum mag which holds about 32 rounds, so it's good for close combat.

My Double Barrell does the same damage, but the slow reload is not great, but it does do 50% more damage to Super Mutants. If it had an Endless Ammo Capacity afix it would be great though, no reload!

Ah OK, I didn't know Rifleman perks actually reflected on the weapon's damage. I'm still a fairly low level, I've got a lot of perks to get yet.

Just finished the main story (sided with the brotherhood) and again Fallout delivers , only Heavy rain has given me such a headache when multiple choices and actions exist, loved every minute of it.

Now to fully explore the commonwealth and invest another 40 hours into it :)
So wait, after the story you can still explore the wasteland?

I've also been playing with the setting a lot. For some reason the game refuses to let me turn off godrays unless I go to "low" preset and then manually change everything back to high with max draw distances.
Even then I'm not sure it keep the godrays off (probably turns them back on when I accept and the settings are loaded as the game actually launches. :meh:

That said, I'm definitely taking a more experienced approach this time around and looking forward to getting really high level with some of the level 6+ perks (only had luck that high in my first play through).

All that aside, anyone out there finding good mods for visual effects and all that? I've seen the enhanced wasteland mod but that didn't look like it was much of an improvement so I didn't bother.

This will turn godrays off, in the Falloutprefs.ini file,
located in C:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\My Games\Fallout4

bVolumetricLightingEnable=0

After you edit this don't go back in the Fallout 4 graphics settings in the launcher or else it will revert back.
Or you can set it to read only, by right clicking on it, and in the properties

Only visual mod, apart from textures I like is the Shadow Booster one. This will dynamically shorten/lengthen your shadow draw distance on the fly to keep your frame rates at a minimum of 38 fps on the default setting.
I can't believe Bethesda didn't have something like this as standard in the FO4 engine...

Another good finds.

This helped reduce the texture pop ins and somewhat lessen the overall framerate drop for me.
"Texture Load Workaround" http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/808/?

This is a great add on if you're using Reshade. This will add SSAO or HBAO to the effect if the author of the preset hasn't already add Ambient Occlusion. Or you can just add this to the default Reshade if you like the vanilla look of the game and just want more 3D effect. This effect will make the textures pop up more.
"E3FX SSAO and HBAO Add-ons" http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/124/?

Have been a bit envious of people here talking of " never ending ammo " weapons, but now I have one, it's a never ending sniper combat rifle.
Ah OK, I didn't know Rifleman perks actually reflected on the weapon's damage. I'm still a fairly low level, I've got a lot of perks to get yet.

When you have a look at the perks you'll find one's for non auto pistols, non auto rifles and an auto perk, each one having ranks which increase damage or do bonus limb damage, have a good read and see what you like.
At the start of the game I had a good look first to see what I liked for my game style, you might find you need to up strength, endurance etc to get some perks, take your time have a good look.

@Kent

You need to retexture the game to really improve the graphics. I use "GraFix Texture Overhaul 2.0" http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1764/?tab=1&navtag=http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/ajax/moddescription/?id=1764&preview=&pUp=1 This will sharpen and increase the contrast of the vanilla textures.

I also use Reshade presets. I already tried most of them now even the not so famous presets and I settled to this for now "Alone" La Zona http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/310/?tab=1&navtag=http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/ajax/moddescription/?id=310&preview=&pUp=1

If you want the vanilla look but clearer and sharper, no milky white tint that artificially brightens the view, I suggest using this. "Clear Fallout 4 with Fog Tweak" https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/4715/

Best tweak tools.

1. Fallout 4 Tweaker (Nexus Site)
2. Shadowboost (Nexus Site)
3. Nvidia Control Panel for Nvidia GPU users
4. RadeonPro for AMD GPU users (can be used with Nvidia)
5. Texture Load Workaround (Nexus Site)
6. ENBoost (I forgot! :D)

I have tons of retexures and mods I can't list them all :lol: So I will just list my other mods that I use (excluding the first two) to enhance the games graphics. These are found in Nexusmod Site for those who doesn't know.

1. Darker Nights
2. FAR- Faraway Area Reform (LOD)
3. Radiant Clouds and Fogs
4. WET- Water Enhancement Textures
5. Fallout IV Gore Texture Overhaul
6. Fallout Texture Overhaul Pipboy UHD 4K Dark
7. Fallout Texture Overhaul Stars- FTO Stars 4K
8. New Road Enhanced
9. Street Signs Retexture
10. Dynamic Weapon Shadows
11. Enhanced Grass
12. exShinra's Better Road Textures
13. F4- Remove Interior Fog
14. Mega Explosions
15. Heavy Rain
16. Pipboy Shadows
17. Realistic Lights
18. Vivid Fallout Rocks 2K
19. 4K HD Enhanced Blood Mod
20. D.E.C.A.Y. -Better Ghouls
21. Brighter Settlements
22. Fallout Texture Overhaul Moons- FTO Moons Masser and Secunda 4K
23. Better Handmade Weapon Textures
24. Better Quarry sights
25. Better Computer Terminals
26. Improved Map with Visible Roads -Darker Version
27. 4K and 2K Safe Retexture
28. Pinup Better Pictures
29. Wasteland Salon -Hair Texture Improvement Mod
30. 4K HD Textures -Power Armors
31. E3FX SSAO and HBAO Add-ons
32. (some body retexture) :D

Here are some Reshades that I've tried. Also found in Nexusmod Site.

1. Cinematic Excellence
2. Decay (like this)
3. Photorealistic Wasteland
4. Truewasteland
5. Uber Fidelity Suite (like this)
6. Vintage Film Looks
7. Wasteland Grit
8. Uraniumfever (SweetFX)
9. Quentin's
10. Vogue
11. Shadow of Boston
12. The Love of Eli (like this)
13. Ultimate Engine
14. Stalker Lighting (Photorealistic Wasteland)

These are a must to improve the sound. Also found in Nexusmod Site.

1. Towbie's Realistic Weapon Sounds -Realistic Bullet Cracks
2. Louder Rainy Sound
3. P.A.M.S. Power Armor Movement Sounds
4. Silent Generators and Turrets

I haven't included all the mods yet as I have another batch of mods to be installed. As of now these are the better graphics and audio enhancement mods out there. I will share the other mods that I find useful in another post.

Last edited:
Soooo......enemies, junk and containers all respawn after time? I go back to places I'd already cleared and find new enemies or new junk and stuff in containers. Not sure if they respawned or if it's as a result of upping my difficulty a little while after starting the game.

Found a metal helmet today which was a nice upgrade over the un-moddable army helmet. I really wish you could choose the colour when painting metal armour for added defence. I also found a Combat armour leg piece and a Synth arm piece. Currently on level 19.
BTW, I have a HUGE excess of water at Sanctuary, something like 29 water to 14 settlers, does anyone know why I wouldn't be getting Purified Water deposited in my Workshop? Do you need unassigned Settlers to do that?

Another good finds.

This helped reduce the texture pop ins and somewhat lessen the overall framerate drop for me.
"Texture Load Workaround" http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/808/?
I use this one too, along with the Darker Nights mod and the Realistic Lights mod. Stays really close to vanilla, but looks a lot better because no weird fake lights and no LOD texture pop-in.

I finished "The Lost Patrol", and in the process, I got my hands on a rocket-powered hammer to rival Mjolnir. Then I wound up taking on a Legendary Razorclaw Mirelurk - and two garden-variety mirelurks for good measure - and unfortunately suffered a massive drop in the frame rate while in VATS.

Latest Posts

Back