Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
it really goes against my ethics in the game to associate with raiders
I like to think of it like this: the Commonwealth is faced with an enormous threat, be it the Institute or the Brotherhood. In order to face this threat, you need an army. Because all of your efforts are focused on the fight ahead, the last thing that you need is to have the raiders nipping at your heels. So rather than fight on two fronts, you get the raiders on-side and grow your army.

I like to think of it like this: the Commonwealth is faced with an enormous threat, be it the Institute or the Brotherhood. In order to face this threat, you need an army. Because all of your efforts are focused on the fight ahead, the last thing that you need is to have the raiders nipping at your heels. So rather than fight on two fronts, you get the raiders on-side and grow your army.

Big Boy + MIRV > army.

So I have been doing a lot of the recurring quests for the raider gangs in Nuka-World. If you still have reservations about it, you can ask for details of the quest before you accept it, and you can decline quests and immediately accept another one if you don't like it; I tend to avoid shock collar quests, but I am quite happy to do the cache quests.

Secondly, the game throws you some really tough combinations of enemies - so far, I have fought a squad of Gunner commanders with Stealth Boys, a band of Railroad agents with Gauss Rifles and Mk. V coats, and half a dozen Brotherhood Star Paladins with power armour. There's usually at least one legendary enemy in there for good measure.

Most notably, I encountered five Super Mutant Warlords armed with miniguns between Hangman's Alley and Vault 81 - while a squadron of Star Paladins and a gang of Rust Devils (complete with Sentry Bot Butcher and Assaultron Hag) spawned nearby. And yes, it was epic.

Thought I'd share this - my very awesome-looking Ada:

Attachments

• 1474458663950-476370877.jpg
    1474458663950-476370877.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 39
I have had a couple of updates for the other DLC packages, but nothing for Nuka-World as yet. Hopefully Bethesda fix the Gage glitch in the October update (if there is one).

Nuka-World has finally been patched. It's now possible to complete "The Grand Tour".

Have they made it possible to retake all the Raider settlements in the Commonwealth? I've killed everything near Nordhagen and Hangman but still get told that I need to "clear enemies from the location".

Will try later I guess :D

Have they made it possible to retake all the Raider settlements in the Commonwealth? I've killed everything near Nordhagen and Hangman but still get told that I need to "clear enemies from the location".
I haven't encountered that. I did just enough to get some of the outstanding achievements; as soon as I finished "Power Play", I deleted all of my saves back to the completion of "The Grand Tour" and took the alternate route of turning on the raiders in the park.

Silly question: when you plant a raider flag in an occupied settlement, you get a message that reads [Preston hates you], and he will attack you on sight. Is it possible to get him back on your side, or is the change permanent? Does this also affect your relationship with the Minutemen? Or is there some way to take settlements for raiders without upsetting Preston - for example, by taking unoccupied settlements like Mirkwater Construction Site, or by placing raider flags before accepting a quest to establish a raider settlement there?

Preston will no longer be a companion, but you're still the general of the minutemen and can do missions etc for them :) I put Preston in the stocks at the castle for insubordination :lol:

Silly question: when you plant a raider flag in an occupied settlement, you get a message that reads [Preston hates you], and he will attack you on sight. Is it possible to get him back on your side, or is the change permanent? Does this also affect your relationship with the Minutemen? Or is there some way to take settlements for raiders without upsetting Preston - for example, by taking unoccupied settlements like Mirkwater Construction Site, or by placing raider flags before accepting a quest to establish a raider settlement there?

It seems that any actions for the Raiders trigger Preston's bad mood. I haven't found a way to bring him back on-side yet (although he doesn't attack on sight, just sulks). That's despite completing the main mission strand with the pro-Minutemen ending.

I saw several youtube suggested videos for new Fallout 4 DLC. Any truth behind this?
Eh, seems like wishful thinking to me. Bethesda did say that Nuka-World was the last DLC. Although to be fair, Wasteland Workshop, Contraptions Workshop and Vault-Tec Workshop were pretty light on content - especially considering what Bethesda released for Fallout 3.

There are, however, a few things that I am curious about:
  • What did Barstow mean when she said "never underestimate Vault-Tec"? Does Vault-Tec still exist, and if so, what are they doing?
  • What caused the breakdown in the Commonwealth government? The settlers accuse the Institute, but Father says that the Institute wanted to work with the settlers - so who sabotaged it and why?
  • Who are the Gunners? Who hires them? What are they trying to achieve?
  • What can be found south of the Commonwealth? And what's on the other side of the Glowing Sea?

Time for another silly question: my copy of Fallout 4 shipped with a digital copy of Fallout 3 that is compatible with the XBox One. Is this digital copy just Fallout 3, or does it include DLC? I ask because in order to download it, I would need to use my phone as a means of a hotspot (my phone plans gives me a 10Gb allowance for the month, but I rarely use more than 3Gb in any given month). I could download Fallout 3, but not the DLC.

Time for another silly question: my copy of Fallout 4 shipped with a digital copy of Fallout 3 that is compatible with the XBox One. Is this digital copy just Fallout 3, or does it include DLC? I ask because in order to download it, I would need to use my phone as a means of a hotspot (my phone plans gives me a 10Gb allowance for the month, but I rarely use more than 3Gb in any given month). I could download Fallout 3, but not the DLC.

As far as I recall it includes the DLC.

You may be able to start the download near the end of your billing month, pause it when you get to your 10Gb limit, then resume a few days later when you have another 10Gb to use.

You may be able to start the download near the end of your billing month, pause it when you get to your 10Gb limit, then resume a few days later when you have another 10Gb to use.

The other thing that occurred to Me is that the whole thing might be less than 10Gb. The thing to do is to "claim" the free install and check the download size, then just cancel it until you're ready.

Argh, Fallout 3 is way harder than Fallout 4 - at least to begin with, if only because I have to keep managing the condition of everything. I keep burning through ammunition and I have no idea where to find more.

Back