Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
It looks like they also don't do comparisons with our pedals. Guess why...
Speaking about CSL Elite Pedals I see big sales if You make an adapter which will allow these pedals to be used with the Thrustmaster T300/T150,I had to do my own pedals because I do not like neither one of their pedals.

This is what they says abou the center feeling:
"...the Fanatec wheels fought my steering inputs, while the Thrustmaster would let me place the wheel where I wanted it."

Basically they complained that our wheel was correctly displaying the signals it gets from the game. The single drive system of the CSL Elite base as well as the full metal belt drive of the CSW deliver subtle force feedback effects instead of filtering them out. It is as close as you can get to a Direct Drive wheel and usually people see that as a big pro.

It is strange that someone tries to add artificial deadzone in order to make the center feeling more mushy on purpose just because this is what he is used to.

And this is what they about FF strength:
"In comparison to the Thrustmaster TX, the Fanatec CSL force feedback is a little stronger"

The CSL Elite base has over 6 NM of torque on the steering axis and the TX has about 4NM. This means our wheel is about 50% stronger and it does not lose power after some gameplay.

Point taken. Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't realize the deck stacking on my first viewing.

Speaking about CSL Elite Pedals I see big sales if You make an adapter which will allow these pedals to be used with the Thrustmaster T300/T150,I had to do my own pedals because I do not like neither one of their pedals.

And that pretty much explains everything concerning ISR's review. The rolled up news paper across the snout helped. Thanks Fanatec.

:lol:

Sim Racing Garage FTW !
These reviews mean something.
I'd like see a complete tear down and rebuild of the CSL wheel base, but I think there may be someone who doesn't want that to happen. I do wonder if Barry Roland would give the wheel a look. He seems more geared to the high end of Sim Racing. If he does review the wheel, it would be interesting to see what he has to say about it.

I'd like see a complete tear down and rebuild of the CSL wheel base, but I think there may be someone who doesn't want that to happen. I do wonder if Barry Roland would give the wheel a look. He seems more geared to the high end of Sim Racing. If he does review the wheel, it would be interesting to see what he has to say about it.

There is a CSW V2 review where he states that it gives a kind of direct drive low input lag feeling (without being on the same category of course). But yes, he is more engaged in high end wheels and pedals reviews. I did like a lot his comparison between Accuforce, SimSteering wheel and Open Software Wheel.

It's a nicely written review on the hardware side, however you end up having to rely on 2 sentences if you are after direct comparisons of the FFB to justify the wheel base cost (over something like the mentioned T300). I find that a shame, since the reviewer could have gone into more detail.

He effectively states:
- Fanatec kit is beautifully built and lovely (it certainly is, as is my own older Fanatec kit)
- Clubsport pedals made him faster
- Forza rim and Xbox hub feels and looks great, but concerns that it's too heavy and mutes subtle center forces
- Considerably more power than a T300 (which we know: ~4 versus 7 Nm roughly)

Am I so wrong in wanting such reviews to go into detail about things like latency, turning resistance (not one word in the review on drift mode?), SAT responsiveness, comparative ease of drifting across sims, etc...?

It's a nicely written review on the hardware side, however you end up having to rely on 2 sentences if you are after direct comparisons of the FFB to justify the wheel base cost (over something like the mentioned T300). I find that a shame, since the reviewer could have gone into more detail.

He effectively states:
- Fanatec kit is beautifully built and lovely (it certainly is, as is my own older Fanatec kit)
- Clubsport pedals made him faster
- Forza rim and Xbox hub feels and looks great, but concerns that it's too heavy and mutes subtle center forces
- Considerably more power than a T300 (which we know: ~4 versus 7 Nm roughly)

Am I so wrong in wanting such reviews to go into detail about things like latency, turning resistance (not one word in the review on drift mode?), SAT responsiveness, comparative ease of drifting across sims, etc...?

I completely agree. In fairness though PCPer aren't exactly experts in this field (although they do in depth PC part reviews). Also, part of this is on Fanatec to give reviewers a checklist of things they should render a verdict/opinion on.

We need a more quantifiable way of comparing these wheels, instead of relying on "it feels good/bad".Maybe if Fanatec does a direct drive wheel they could integrate sensors to measure wheel telemetry.

Just wanted to say, broke out my CSWv2 and CSPv2 after about 6 months of not being used and 1 month near 32f/0c and both worked just fine on first boot. The grease on the main drive seems to have congealed, but I assume it will just spread out again after use.

ClubSport Pedals V3 Brake Performance Kit

CSP-V3-BPK-Big_03-1000x666.jpg

How stiff is the yellow sponge looking material? And can it be swapped out if desired?

The yellow material is PU foam. It is half the length of the standard PU foams and it is optional. You can use the red and/or green elastomer springs only. The PU will add an area with less resistance to the pedal as you have with most sport cars where you have some travel before the brake gets stiff.

I look forward to see comparisons between the new Thrustmaster TS PC Racer and the CSW V2. I think Fanatec need some real competition in the upper market. If just TM release some really good rims for the PC Racer like a 320mm suede rim.

So new state-of-the-art PS4 wheel potentially before GT SPORT releases by Fanatec. Will be interesting battle between Thrustmaster and Fanatec, I assume Fanatec will be more pricey though. 2017 looks like it will be awesome year overall for sim racing on PC and PS4.

Great to hear that "probably" pedals, shifters and wheel rims will be PS4 wheel base compatible. If I can just buy the base for like ~$500 then I guess I could be on board. I think the wheel rims are particularly important as they add a lot to the cost of a base.

Do you think the PS4 wheel will be "higher end" than the Clubsport line ?

As long as it's not lower end than the current CSW V2 I'm all in. The reason we use the CSW V2 on PS4 is because it's high end. Anything short of that would be downgrading....

If our current Fanatec peddles and CSW wheel rims work that would be very palatable. At that point I don't care what the base costs as long as it's good as or better than the CSW V2 =)

FMW
If our current Fanatec peddles and CSW wheel rims work that would be very palatable. At that point I don't care what the base costs as long as it's good as or better than the CSW V2 =)

Exactly. If it is just as good as the CSW V2 and I can use all my other accessories then I can just sell my CSW V2 (which has good resale ATM) and upgrade.

My only concern is that Sony will mandate that the PS buttons are on the wheel rim, making old rims non functional on the new base. Maybe Fanatec could put buttons on the base, but that wouldn't be an ergonomic challenge. If it is just a PS4 version of the CSL base, then I think I will pass.

My advice would be just go and make yourself a GIMX adapter, because the new base (just like xbox one) will probably be a cheaper version of csw v2

My advice would be just go and make yourself a GIMX adapter, because the new base (just like xbox one) will probably be a cheaper version of csw v2

I've thought about the GIMX route, but the Chronus Plus adapter seems like a simpler solution for the time being...

I just tried out the V3 brake performance kit last night and wanted to pass my impressions along.

I installed the softest inserts, the install is fairly simple but fiddly enough and greasy enough that I really wouldn't want to swap out inserts anytime soon, not user friendly like a swap-able tuning part should ideally be. Also the installation instructions lack a bit of detail, for instance you need a hammer and punch to remove a big pin/dowel in step #2, it simply says "remove the thin bolt", its not a bolt though (on my model of V3's) and they should have elaborated that its really tight and you need to hammer it out.
I had assumed the kit would add a progressive feel similar to the Nixim mod and wouldn't reduce travel. But it does reduce the travel quite a bit, so much so that the progressive feel isn't worth much anymore as its only felt on such a small scale/range.
Even using the "softest" inserts feel like stepping on a brick, they're super stiff. I wish they had included a much larger range of these inserts, it skews more on the super hard end of the spectrum. A set of softer inserts could also give us some more travel it seems.
These pedal sets don't have a lot of travel to begin with, maybe 2 1/2"-3" of travel, but with the brake kit the travel seems to be cut in half or more. I'm actually unable to push hard enough to bottom out the brake mechanism, I just hit a point where the insert wont compress anymore.

So does this negate the 'need' for "ClubSport Pedals V3 Damper Kit" ?
I'd venture to say yes as it makes the damper kit fairly worthless, the damper is way softer than the inserts so they would likely be doing nothing with the kit installed. although Its possible I haven't turned my damper up high enough.

The only use for this I can see is If you truly want a race car brake feel, Its my understanding that they behave like this, super stiff and very little travel. I cant stand the feel though and I wouldn't want to subject my friends to it either. With the Kit installed it did drive just fine and its perfectly usable, i just wasn't into the feel.

I may just seek out my own rubber inserts or maybe a progressive spring now that I've seen the kit.

Anyway to sum up reduced travel is unfortunate, there isn't a wide enough range of inserts (soft-hard) in my opinion, install is fiddly & doesn't encourage further tuning. My brakes are now back to "stock"

I should also add that my expectations for this kit where way out of line with what this kit bills itself as, so that's my fault, but I hope this will help some people.

Last edited:
FMW

I wonder if the formula rims will be included? If so, and as much as I hate to say it, the wheel hub replacement is somewhat palatable (for me).

Anyone looking for a lightly used CSWv2?

I have the fanatec clubsport pedals V3. My loadcell doesn't appear to be working. pedal position seems to be all that matters and not the ammount of pressure applied. Am i forgetting to adjust something?

I have the fanatec clubsport pedals V3. My loadcell doesn't appear to be working. pedal position seems to be all that matters and not the ammount of pressure applied. Am i forgetting to adjust something?
There is a slider next to the brake meter in the profiler, try adjusting that.

i tried setting the max pt very high by putting a lot of pressure on the brake pedal. it doesnt matter. it doesnt seem to matter how much pressure i apply.

i tried setting the max pt very high by putting a lot of pressure on the brake pedal. it doesnt matter. it doesnt seem to matter how much pressure i apply.
The only way the pedals can detect your input for the brake is by pressure so if the meter in the profiler is turning red then the load cell is working.

There is a knob behind the brake pedal that will increase the stiffness of the pedal, maybe try that.

Latest Posts

Back