Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel Thread- officially licensed for PS4

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 2,901 comments
The CSL Elite PS4 with P1 Elite rim will be perfect for you! The alcantara btw is much better quality from older Fanatec rims, feels more soft and comfy. I don`t see reason this to do not work with Race 07, but this can be checked easily. You are lucky - Fanatec now sells the CSL E PS4 base separate and you can buy the P1 Elite wihtout having extra PS4 rim and will save some money!:)

Thank you! Yes, I was trying to understand why there would be issues, since all these wheels and rims are supposed to work on a PC just fine. I was just worried that something might have needed to be done to the Race 07 game to make them work. Good to know the alcantara is even better - not that I have any complaint about the old stuff. After racing for perhaps 2 hours per week for 7 years, it had become a bit thin and shiny at the quarter to three position, but I've seen real race car rims much more worn than mine was!

Since this thread is more active than the other CSL Elite base thread, I'll ask my question here. When using the built in clamp, are the two nubs towards the front of the wheel required? The wheel base seem to have a decent amount of rake as it is, I was wondering if the nubs would cause it to tilt upward, even more.

Thanks.

DPGR

Since this thread is more active than the other CSL Elite base thread, I'll ask my question here. When using the built in clamp, are the two nubs towards the front of the wheel required? The wheel base seem to have a decent amount of rake as it is, I was wondering if the nubs would cause it to tilt upward, even more.

Thanks.

DPGR
Yes,if you use the desk clamp these two limiter blocks are required.

Screenshot (6).png

Hi there. I noticed that there is driver v311 available to download for that base.

Is it worth installing this considering that I only use the PS4 for racing?

Hi there. I noticed that there is driver v311 available to download for that base.

Is it worth installing this considering that I only use the PS4 for racing?
Every new driver in general have new firmware, I use latest beta drivers/firmware and in my case it helps me with project cars 2, with 310 it cuts out FFB instantly during gameplay in random moment - which is nighmare;)

I never had any problem with pcars2 with 310/448. But I'll try to see if 311/xxx can solve my problem...

Also, is it normal that there's no driver/firmware to download anymore for the McLaren wheel? I remember that I've downloaded something when I received mine few months ago.

I never had any problem with pcars2 with 310/448. But I'll try to see if 311/xxx can solve my problem...

Also, is it normal that there's no driver/firmware to download anymore for the McLaren wheel? I remember that I've downloaded something when I received mine few months ago.
Yes, it is normal... to have new firmware for that rim - Fanatec must add some new features for example.;)

Changing firmwares with newer beta or going back to latest official final version gives different results for me, which is very strange...I remember I updated to 311/312 from 310 few months back and had issues....later I did this again with same setup and newer version betas solve some issues...same windows , same steps for installing/uninstalling etc...
btw that reminds me what problem I had with my GT3 RS V2 once...it was failed on firmware update and update stopped in the middle and wheel was unusable...tried many times - same thing faulty wheel, which dont want to flash the firmware and cant be used anymore.... So, I decided to test a firmware from different wheel - CSR;) It flashed perfect my GT3 RS V2 like CSR :) lol ...and after that I flashed the wheel with GT3 RS V2 firmeware.

The CSL Elite PS4 with P1 Elite rim will be perfect for you! The alcantara btw is much better quality from older Fanatec rims, feels more soft and comfy. I don`t see reason this to do not work with Race 07, but this can be checked easily. You are lucky - Fanatec now sells the CSL E PS4 base separate and you can buy the P1 Elite wihtout having extra PS4 rim and will save some money!:)

The Alcantra feels good ... but my Elite wheel's Alcantra started to "pill" almost immediately - on the left side of the wheel. So that made me think it was faulty there. My hands might perspire though ... but the right side was fine ... then it started to "pill" also. However who knows, the pilling might go in time and the Alcantra still be excellent. Others might know better ... I read that someone use gloves ... but I don't want to have to put on gloves to play a game.

But my Elite's PS4 wheel's "D" control was faulty ... and Fanatec said they'd send me a replacement new wheel. So I went with that, and I have also bought the somewhat costly Porsche wheel ... which has no Alcantra, and I presume a better quality "D" toggle. There are no customised buttons for the Porsche RSR wheel but I would prefer a better quality toggle. I have planned to get a DD setup so I may be able to sell the two pedal set and the wheelbase and the wheel as a set, with the wheel and the pedals in un-opened boxes. Might take some of the sting out of the DD kit.

If you get the PS4 Elite wheel - ensure that Fanatec ship it with a rubber "O" ring that sits around the "D" pad toggle ... evidently that stops the "D" pad toggle from failing. It seems that Fanatec must have stock of wheels without that "O" ring and that they don't ship the "O" ring as standard, until I presume their stocks of wheels without the rubber "O" ring around the paddle run out.

Last edited:
It's late to post this here now & it's not that big of a deal... But, this has bothered me (mildly) since i received my replacement wheel ~6 months ago. I instantly noticed that the Alcantara part felt "washed out"... Not saying that it is literally washed or already worn in use, but this replacement rim felt smoother without all the fibers/"tuft". I remember liking the texture when i first tried it and noticed the lacking difference right away, but i thought maybe little use would fix it...

Last edited:
It's late to post this here now & and it's not that big of a deal... But, this has bothered me (mildly) since i received my replacement wheel ~6 months ago. I instantly noticed that the Alcantara part felt "washed out"... Not saying that it is literally washed or already worn in use, but this replacement rim felt smoother without all the fibers/"tuft". I remember liking the texture when i first tried it and noticed the lacking difference right away, but i thought maybe little use would fix it...
View attachment 766716
Don't know how clear the texture is in the picture, but the overal feel is closer to basic sweatpants than Alcantara. Good thing is that the wheel isn't the Xbox version (full Alcantara) ;)
The PS4 version of the rim have different alcantara then the CSL Elite P1 for Xbox One... The Elite P1 have very soft alcantara material feels like short cut suede material much much softer than PS4 rim...the PS4 rim have more hard on touch material feels like alcantara on car seats...

the PS4 rim have more hard on touch material feels like alcantara on car seats...
Thanks for the reply, i didn't know that they use different Alcantara material.
Found this video right after posting: my rim doesn't have that bad marks of use... But, again it felt different than my previous one, almost like little scratching would peel it off!

Thanks for the reply, i didn't know that they use different Alcantara material.
Found this video right after posting: my rim doesn't have that bad marks of use... But, again it felt different than my previous one, almost like little scratching would peel it off!

You mean you had same rim with different type alcantara? Well, it is possible different and early batch to be with different type by some kind reason. For example shortage in suply of this specific one etc... For me is strange that PS4 rim uses this different type alcantara than the Elite P1, but one of the reason can be that the softer alcantara of the Elite P1 is not good got combined leather rims - Alcanatara + Leather like the PS4 rim.
About the alcantara in general - when is used in car or racing simulator like the one I have RSEAT N1 Alcantara - the alcantara is much better to seat in, I have RS1 with leather and jumping on the N1 Alcantara gives you much confy feeling and make you feel more expensive seat!:) Ofcourse some people is normal to do not like Alcantara in general...

You mean you had same rim with different type alcantara? Well, it is possible different and early batch to be with different type by some kind reason.
From your comment i understood that there's different types of Alcantara for Xbox and Ps4 rim. But, no not in my case, i sent my wheel back only after couple weeks of use because of the faulty code wheel sensor, so it can't be "old batch"! I wish i could have kept my old rim, which worked just fine.

No, not in my case, from your comment i understood that there's different types of Alcantara for Xbox and Ps4 rim. I sent my wheel back only after couple weeks of use because of the faulty code wheel sensor, so it can't be "old batch"! I wish i could have kept my old rim, which worked just fine.
Yes. I confirm that PS4 and XB1 rim have visible different alcantara and on touch is different, for me is completely different material...the P1 Elite feels like more expensive and soft...right after taking out of the box you see the difference - it is deep black , not dark gray like the PS4 rim... for the batch I didn`t mean exactly old, just different batch. There is no other reason two PS4 rims to be different other that some batches used different suplied material...

Good thing is that the wheel isn't the Xbox version (full Alcantara) ;)

Believe it or not, I wish Fanatec would either dial the Alcantara use back, or make it an optional finish. For that reason, I am forgoing the Alcantara P1 wheel for my base. And the Alcantara is the fly in the ointment for the BMW rim... I dont want to go through maintaining the wheel rim like that.

Good thing there are options.

Believe it or not, I wish Fanatec would either dial the Alcantara use back, or make it an optional finish. For that reason, I am forgoing the Alcantara P1 wheel for my base. And the Alcantara is the fly in the ointment for the BMW rim... I dont want to go through maintaining the wheel rim like that.

Good thing there are options.
I feel the same.

But for those getting a new Elite wheel - maybe put some bicycle tape on the Alcantra ... that stuff is thin, feels good, and is easy to remove, and its designed for bicycle handlebars, and such tubing is about the same diameter of the Fanatec wheel rims. That's what I was going to do before buying the Porsche RSR rim.

Then again, you could always apply the bicycle tape when the Alcantra wears out?

Concerning different types of Alcantra - they would not buy very much ... and I reckon that is typical of what happens in China ... you know ... they go down to their supplier and buy what is available at the time. Or the supplier just changes the material without any advise. That IMO is typical of the way things happen in areas of China and Taiwan that I am familiar with. Fanatec describes it as automotive and the same as what you get in a car - but they do not specify the grade, brand, branded description of the Alcantra or the company who manufactures the Alcantra ...

I feel the same.

But for those getting a new Elite wheel - maybe put some bicycle tape on the Alcantra ... that stuff is thin, feels good, and is easy to remove, and its designed for bicycle handlebars, and such tubing is about the same diameter of the Fanatec wheel rims. That's what I was going to do before buying the Porsche RSR rim.

Then again, you could always apply the bicycle tape when the Alcantra wears out?

Concerning different types of Alcantra - they would not buy very much ... and I reckon that is typical of what happens in China ... you know ... they go down to their supplier and buy what is available at the time. Or the supplier just changes the material without any advise. That IMO is typical of the way things happen in areas of China and Taiwan that I am familiar with. Fanatec describes it as automotive and the same as what you get in a car - but they do not specify the grade, brand, branded description of the Alcantra or the company who manufactures the Alcantra ...
Yes, I think same for the alcantara differences on same rim... if they dont have the same in stock they buy what they have closer to specifications of the rim - they do it for sure instead of stopping production waiting for same material!:)

The performance is identical except that on the PS4 version you have a different Driftmode so you can de-activate the natural damper which is turned on by default to avoid shaking on the straights.
Is there a chance the same drift mod as CSL Elite PS4(from -5 to +5) to be implemented in the CSL Elite Xbox?
I'm curious to feel how it is with deactivated natural damper.:)

Is there a chance the same drift mod as CSL Elite PS4(from -5 to +5) to be implemented in the CSL Elite Xbox?
What is the drift mode on Xbox version? You gotta have at least like the older Fanatec wheels Drift from 0 to something, right?

Unfortunately not, the different motor driver electronics in the CSL Elite Wheel Base can't implement this Drift Mode (and this older motor driver can't be updated).

I received the Porsche 918 RSR wheel yesterday and put it on the Elite for PS4 wheelbase, and then flashed the wheelbase's software after checking the wheel. Then had a go and could not find a button to imitate the PS4 button ... but looked up on the web and sure enough the middle button (in the bottom half of the wheel) engaged the wheel as a controller. I don't know how to re-configure the wheel so far - so I am not sure how to alter the centre view so I can change power settings and things like that. The wheel does not show itself in the choice of controllers in Gran Turismo's controllers, which includes the Elite for PS4 wheel. Nonetheless the wheel works!

Comments on the wheel - firstly its round, whereas the Elite for PS4 wheel isn't quite.
Secondly the Porsche wheel is heavier
Thirdly the Porsche wheel is quite a bit larger - there is no way both are 30cm as I thought they were described by Fanatec. 104cm circumference versus 96 cm for the Elite ie 8% larger circumference. In diameter its around 10% greater by measurement. The grip of the Porsche wheel is larger too - but its more varied in diameter than the Elite for PS4 wheel, its more sculptured. Overall though the circumference of the rims are around 10cm for the Elite and 11 cm for the Porsche wheel, while the bump grip areas were closer on both, with the Porsche far more rounded in its grip "hump" while the Elite wheel's grip hump is not as extended.
Fourthly the rim materials: a vast difference here. I reckon the leather material on the Elite which appears to be a perforated material and may or may not be real leather - but its looks very good to me, and it has a lot of give in it - its not rock hard. The rest of the Elite is the Alcantra material which is beaut when new. The Porsche wheel has a brown leather material which really is leather I think, and its embossed with a pattern. The material is very hard, but the embossing softens the feel. Its a superb covering.
Fifthly the stalks - wow two "D" stalks of different types, and the difference between a single plastic hammer and two all metal hammers - a world of difference there.
Sixthly the buttons - I reckon the small and replaceable PS4 buttons will last and last - they might feel soft and vague compared to the large round buttons which seem to click - but while the buttons would have cost much more for Fanatec to buy, I assume both will do the job. The Porsche has adjustable paddles, but IMO, both wheel's paddle functions are excellent.
7/8/9/10
7 Other differences are a small separate display which is only digital and its on the centre of the wheel's hub,
8 A more elaborate, much wider rev light display which also looks more tacked on than the similar in function PS4 Elite's rev display.
9 The Porsche wheel is much more "dished" ie its hub is inset at least 15mm deeper from the wheel rim. This makes the wheel look quite real, while the Elite PS4 wheel looks flat, although it is also dished. But there's no way one would hit a button accidentally with the Porsche wheel. The deeper "dishing" of the wheel hub also means your fingers access the stick out toggles much easer, because the centre of the wheel hub is deeper from the toggle - your hands can find them a lot easier. Then again I had no luck with my Elite plastic toggle device which also lacked a rubber "O" ring to protect its function.
10 And a quick release mechanism that while its amazing, for many its not a big deal. The atheistics are first class and the Porsche badge is fab but I had to tell my wife about it because she'd have known it was different due to that Porsche badge. Great for your mates to impress but not good to explain to your partner.
11 The wheel has vibration in it and although I thought it was working I now think I could just feel the chatter in a corner more compared to the Elite for PS4 wheel, likely due to the hard wheel rim's finish I assume.
12 Oh and the price. The Elite wheel in Australia can be bought for $Au250, the Porsche one costs $600, so that is more than double the price. The BMW wheel which is quite a bit heavier than the Porsche wheel costs $Au400. If not for the weight the BMW would be a no brainer, but the Elite wheel really sells for $Au150 when bundled I reckon so its really one quarter the price of the Porsche and if your "D" toggle works it will get you round the track just fine. From a real world perspective compared to a real car's wheel, comparing three wheels: Logitech G27/29, Elite for PS4 and the Porsche 918 RSR wheel: Base wheel Logitech, top wheel Porsche, I would put the Elite for PS4 wheel closer to the Porsche than half way when compared to the G27/G29 wheel (from Logitech).

Nonetheless the Porsche wheel rim feels worth it to me.

Thinking of the Alcantra issues - I would definitely put bike tape around the Elite for PS4's rim . And making the rim thicker and wider would simply make it much more like that Porsche rim IMO. And selling the rim with the tap removed - it will be as new.

Oh and Fanatec should put the same two gorgeous high quality toggle stalks onto a Mk 2 version of the Fanatec Elite wheels. They'd be so so much better IMO.

Last edited:
Back